BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by doru View Post
Clean everything BEFORE taking apart.
I use a washgun to clean well that area, than I wipe off with a rag. As soon as I disassemble, I stuff clean paper towel, then I take my time. Never had a problem. Did 2 N52 and a N54. In the past did 2 M54's as well.
All that crud WILL fall off when taking the oil filter housing off. And the way it's positioned, you don't even see what's going on behind it, where most the stuff is piled up. Very easy to miss and screw up a perfectly fine engine.
Oh, are you saying the grime around the outside of the housing? I would probably just remove the manifold clean it all up around and than remove the housing.

Couple of more questions. Do you need to add coolant afterwards since coolant pipe is removed, if so about how much? Also what happens to the oil in the housing, will it spill out when detached from the block?

Thanks
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:48 AM   #24
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Oh, are you saying the grime around the outside of the housing? I would probably just remove the manifold clean it all up around and than remove the housing.

Couple of more questions. Do you need to add coolant afterwards since coolant pipe is removed, if so about how much? Also what happens to the oil in the housing, will it spill out when detached from the block?

Thanks
I haven't lost any oil. Also, coolant will have a little loss, no issues. Once everything it's taken off and cleaned, the dripping will stop.
After the repair is done, check the expansion tank and add coolant if needed. However, as a measure of precaution, you would go through the venting of air bubbles from cooling system.
Keep the expansion tank cap on.
Press start without pressing the brake.
Hold gas pedal all the way for 10 sec
Meanwhile adjust temp setting to Max, fan speed to slowest.
The water pump will start - it will cycle at different speeds for 10-15 min or so (can't remember the exact timing).
Make sure the battery is fully charged before doing this. You can also hook up a charger while doing the procedure.
Once it's done, check the expansion tank level and top up. If the level is very low, top up and do the procedure of venting again to be sure no air bubbles were recirculated.
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:44 AM   #25
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 BSM 6MT

This is likely caused by the mechanic not priming the housing with oil after he changed it out. There is a short moment of no oil on the bearings and that is all it takes.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 09:51 AM   #26
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I'm doubtful on this priming the housing thought; The is very little oil retained in the filter/housing.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:01 AM   #27
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I'm doubtful on this priming the housing thought; The is very little oil retained in the filter/housing.
You are forgetting about the oil inside the path to the housing. When the housing is removed, air allows the oil to drop back into the pan. This results in enough time of no oil while the housing and filter fill and prime, for the bearings to be dry enough to wear. Once worn, it is all down hill.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:05 AM   #28
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Quote:
You are forgetting about the oil inside the path to the housing. When the housing is removed, air allows the oil to drop back into the pan. This results in enough time of no oil while the housing and filter fill and prime, for the bearings to be dry enough to wear. Once worn, it is all down hill.
Do you Prime the OF housing each time you install a new oil filter element?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #29
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
Do you Prime the OF housing each time you install a new oil filter element?
Wrong side. The housing is primed on the engine side, prior to installing the housing. No need to prime the element when changing oil.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 10:34 AM   #30
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

More reading about priming... https://www.reddit.com/r/BmwTech/com...ilter_housing/
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 11:29 AM   #31
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPurrs View Post
Wrong side. The housing is primed on the engine side, prior to installing the housing. No need to prime the element when changing oil.
If removing the housing allows air into the housing (i.e. the system is open to atmospheric pressure) thus allowing oil to 'drain' back towards the pan via related plumbing then would not removing the OFH cap cause same condition?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #32
McPurrs
The deuce gets loose
Rep

Quote:
If removing the housing allows air into the housing (i.e. the system is open to atmospheric pressure) thus allowing oil to 'drain' back towards the pan via related plumbing then would not removing the OFH cap cause same condition?
No. Check valve prevents that inside the OFH
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 02:40 PM   #33
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

What is the procedure to 'prime' the system?

What about the case when one does an oil change; drain oil from pan, refill and then startup the motor?....virtually all the car's (new) oil is in the pan on startup, correct?

Last edited by Wgosma; 09-26-2019 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:42 PM   #34
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

So what is the difference between an oil change and the OFHG gasket R&R?
because in both cases the oil filter is out and the passages are open. No issues after oil changes but problems after OFHG R&R.
The oil priming theory does not hold water. I also used 0 grade oil for the last 20 years or so, never primed the system after oil changes or after OFHG R&R (which were quite a few). On older engines, like M54 as an example, the mating surface is perpendicular, so chances for debris to fall in is minimal. On the N5x is slightly canted. If debris is caked on top and between the mating surfaces of engine and oil filter housing (hard to see because it's in the back - actually side, but not visible), if not cleaned, it can fall inside.

e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #35
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I agree; this priming this does not make sense for this IFHG repair.
I could see it if one reassembled a motor and did not grease/lube components prior to reassembly.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #36
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

In my time as an engineer in a company that remanufactured engines, several engines made it to the dyno without oil inside. I was also once at a car show / charity event where an old Eclipse beater had the drain plug removed (pay $ to charity for a guess as to how long it'll run). In all cases engines went for about 5-6 minutes before the bearings seized either against the crank or wrist pins and made a lot of noise, even longer for that Eclipse before the engine completely seized up (the engines on the dyno always got shut down first).

I'll admit there's a chance that a couple seconds without oil pressure could indeed do it, there's always an exception to the rule, but have to say I highly doubt that just those few seconds alone are enough.

I do know of an autocrossing car however (an old Saturn) that had an engine seize up. Oil would slosh up the side of the pan every corner, away from the pickup tube, and it was during the 2nd season I think that the additive damage did indeed do the thing in. But again that was a lot of time spent in that condition spread out over a period of over a year.

I'm thinking this car had to have been running pretty low for that 60 miles...

I wonder if the OP ever got it sorted out. Who knows, maybe it was something totally different and unrelated.
Appreciate 0