BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3 and X4 Forums | F25 (2011 - 2017) | F26 (2014 - Current) Second Generation BMW X3 (F25) General Forum new owner - 2015 x3 35i msport - couple questions

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #1
reillyrocks
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: milwaukee

iTrader: (0)

new owner - 2015 x3 35i msport - couple questions

Hello, I've recently purchased a beautiful 2015 X3 msport 35i with 10k miles on it and I am a former Audi lifer.....unfortunately for Audi the X3 35i msport is too much value to justify the cost of an SQ5. I found my Sapphire Black on black spent most of its life in FL and will now reside in Milwaukee. Couple of questions if anyone can provide guidance and insight.

a) I was told that TPMS sensors from a 2012 X3 are not compatible to my 2015?

b) We've had some hellacious low temps recently but my wiper fluid has only just failed to spray after normal for a week. The pump sounds normal but no front or rear fluid available. I've read a couple of references to a similar problem and some have suggested that improper fluid may have frozen in the lines? I don't expect we'll see higher than 32deg anytime soon so was wondering if its time for me to bring it to a dealer for inspection ?

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #2
x3sm
First Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
94
Rep
399
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

I have an Audi S4 and I always thought that its interior and material quality greatly exceeds that of BMW and especially the X3... The BMW X3 is a better overall value than SQ5 hence why I got it, but based on preference I think the SQ5 outshines it. Did you see the diamond stitched leather in the SQ5 and the flat bottom wheel? Also having both the N55 and supercharged V6, the V6 is more reliable, but worse on gas.
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 10:22 PM   #3
Barbera335
Captain
112
Rep
614
Posts

Drives: F25
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: socal

iTrader: (0)

I have seen plenty of SQ5s. The diamond leather is nice, the flat bottom steering wheel looks stupid and the dash with the tacked on screen looks cheap.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
tracer bullet
Lieutenant Colonel
tracer bullet's Avatar
United_States
576
Rep
1,673
Posts

Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Saint Paul, MN

iTrader: (1)

There was definitely a change to the TPMS's over time, that is assured. What I can't verify but believe is that there was a single change meaning there are just 2 styles, and that change occurred prior to 2012. If you look up places that sell them you will probably find a list of which versions fit which cars. Or go to the "realoem" site and type into the configurator the different years of X3's and see if the part numbers are the same or different.

If you're in WI you've had the same temps we have had in MN. Wiper fluid doesn't freeze too easily but like anything it can. Mine didn't over the cold snap but if yours was partly filled with water (FL car) then perhaps it did. Weather should be getting near freezing soon and unless it's 100% water in there, if it's frozen it will thaw again soon. Do you park outside or in a garage?

If it did freeze, hopefully it didn't damage anything in the process - split a line, broke a motor, etc.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
oVeRdOsE.
Private First Class
34
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: F25
Join Date: May 2018
Location: mtl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I have an Audi S4 and I always thought that its interior and material quality greatly exceeds that of BMW and especially the X3... The BMW X3 is a better overall value than SQ5 hence why I got it, but based on preference I think the SQ5 outshines it. Did you see the diamond stitched leather in the SQ5 and the flat bottom wheel? Also having both the N55 and supercharged V6, the V6 is more reliable, but worse on gas.
X6m is more comparable to a SQ5 imo.

This is subjective, but a F25 35i is more like the Q5 with 3.0T.

I looked for a Q5 3.0T for about 6 months, until I realized that the 35i N55 were about 20-25% cheaper than the Q5 for about the same year, same equipment.

Q5 3.0T were only about 10-15% cheaper than the SQ5....

Back in the days I saw about 5x Q5 3.0T, and 10x X3 35i M online.

I've tried both, and Q5 3.0t was a more interesting product overall. stage 1+, 415hp mmmmm

Anyway, it was for a 2nd car, so I went for the x3, since its very comparable and cheaper. no ragret yo
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #6
subieworx
Lieutenant
22
Rep
446
Posts

Drives: 07 335
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (1)

The TPMS change on the X3 came with a production date of 4/13 I believe. Anything after that uses the newer style sensors which are not compatible with the older.

As for the washer fluid, it's just frozen.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 10:48 AM   #7
x3sm
First Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
94
Rep
399
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
X6m is more comparable to a SQ5 imo.

This is subjective, but a F25 35i is more like the Q5 with 3.0T.

I looked for a Q5 3.0T for about 6 months, until I realized that the 35i N55 were about 20-25% cheaper than the Q5 for about the same year, same equipment.

Q5 3.0T were only about 10-15% cheaper than the SQ5....

Back in the days I saw about 5x Q5 3.0T, and 10x X3 35i M online.

I've tried both, and Q5 3.0t was a more interesting product overall. stage 1+, 415hp mmmmm

Anyway, it was for a 2nd car, so I went for the x3, since its very comparable and cheaper. no ragret yo
I think the direct competitor to the SQ5 would have been the F25 X3M if they ever made one.

SQ5 is a lot of money and compared to the X3 it seems overpriced. But I think its a bit "higher class" than the X3. The Q5 3.0T and SQ5 have same engine and same transmission, so a simple tune would give it same power as tuned SQ5.

The cool thing about SQ5 is the amounts of upgrade available for it. From sway bars to brakes to coil-overs to bodykits.
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #8
reillyrocks
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: audi s4
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: milwaukee

iTrader: (0)

Hello again, thanks Lieutenant, I think you suffer a lot more in St Paul than I do down here but I believe my diagnosis was correct. We got temps this a.m. up to 25deg and sure enough it started to dribble out the nozzles and after the sixth attempt it was back to full strength so I am incredibly relieved. I am considering doing a siphon hand pump removal of the current fluid and replacing it with better newer fluid. May even consider using BMW authorized fluid. I didn't expect my mention of the SQ5 to generate such response but there is a huge part of me that will always love the SQ5 but I just could not justify the extreme cost.....now I struggle with what to do with my collection of Audi swag....kind of exciting to think about acquiring all new BMW gear though too; oh man now i have to change a lot of my passwords to remove all the Audi references too?? I miss my old S4, and I even miss the SQ5 i never owned, but am enjoying my new Sapphire M-sport 35i a lot and am going to start the mods very soon. Thanks all of you for the input.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:32 AM   #9
oVeRdOsE.
Private First Class
34
Rep
135
Posts

Drives: F25
Join Date: May 2018
Location: mtl

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
I think the direct competitor to the SQ5 would have been the F25 X3M if they ever made one.

SQ5 is a lot of money and compared to the X3 it seems overpriced. But I think its a bit "higher class" than the X3. The Q5 3.0T and SQ5 have same engine and same transmission, so a simple tune would give it same power as tuned SQ5.

The cool thing about SQ5 is the amounts of upgrade available for it. From sway bars to brakes to coil-overs to bodykits.
well, not far with the 35i m pack, in fact, like you said, sq5 and q5 with the v6 are almost the same but with different bodyparts/interior.

Get a JB+, and it will be very competitive to the stock sq5.

indeed, all 3.0t can get the same tune.

I believe the cooling on the Q5 is smaller than the S4 ans SQ5, despite that pretty same platform.

And yeah, there's way more cart parts for audi, and its cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
x3sm
First Lieutenant
x3sm's Avatar
94
Rep
399
Posts

Drives: X3
Join Date: May 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oVeRdOsE. View Post
well, not far with the 35i m pack, in fact, like you said, sq5 and q5 with the v6 are almost the same but with different bodyparts/interior.

Get a JB+, and it will be very competitive to the stock sq5.

indeed, all 3.0t can get the same tune.

I believe the cooling on the Q5 is smaller than the S4 ans SQ5, despite that pretty same platform.

And yeah, there's way more cart parts for audi, and its cheaper.
True, you're right. I wonder how EPS on the Audi feels like compared to BMW
__________________
BMW X3 N55 / VMR V705
AUDI S4 / BBS CHR / Borla
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #11
doru
Lieutenant
doru's Avatar
Canada
92
Rep
403
Posts

Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

That's why you use winter washer fluid when the temps drop. Before using one has to make sure the summer washer fluid is completely used.
It's been years I gave up on that useless summer washer fluid and use winter washer fluid all year long. Once the nozzles or lines are frozen, you have to wait for spring, or find a heated garage, wait until the whole car warms up, empty the washer fluid container, refill with winter washer fluid and run it through the lines to make sure no summer stuff is in there.

The late winter washer fluids came a long way and clean the windows in the summer well as opposed to a few years ago when they were crap especially when the bugs hit the windshield. Thing of the past.
__________________
Stable:
e92is
f25 N52
e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST