BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2022, 12:46 PM   #1
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Bootmod3 question - Sport Mode

Considering getting a Bootmod3 tune after reading about it vs piggybacking. Dumb question for anyone currently using it-
Is there a way to activate it on the fly only in Sports Plus mode? If not, can I enable it only at certain times like flicking a switch? Or is that not how tunes work?
I feel like any tune other than stock will be less reliable and I do not want it active 24x7 for several reasons including fuel economy.

Last edited by capten1001; 04-07-2022 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #2
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capten1001 View Post
Considering getting a Bootmod3 tune after reading about it vs piggybacking. Dumb question for anyone currently using it-
Is there a way to activate it on the fly only in Sports Plus mode? If not, can I enable it only at certain times like flicking a switch? Or is that not how tunes work?
I feel like any tune other than stock will be less reliable and I do not want it active 24x7 for several reasons including fuel economy.
Fixed tune affects across all of the driving modes, at least that is how i understand these OTS maps, with obviously the Eco having the least.

With that said, you could carry multiple tunes and switch on the fly from the steering wheels, with lowest setting giving say the <10% of the timing, i.e. driving with valet mode...
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Fixed tune affects across all of the driving modes, at least that is how i understand these OTS maps, with obviously the Eco having the least.

With that said, you could carry multiple tunes and switch on the fly from the steering wheels, with lowest setting giving say the <10% of the timing, i.e. driving with valet mode...
That would be perfect! Do the different maps kick in right away as changed like changing modes from Comfort to Sport? I assume that would not be the case because from some other things I read on the forum the car "learns" from driving behavior?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #4
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That would be perfect! Do the different maps kick in right away as changed like changing modes from Comfort to Sport? I assume that would not be the case because from some other things I read on the forum the car "learns" from driving behavior?
I run MHD and it does kick in right away. I think what you are referring to is what people know as adaptation's.

If anyone here is using BM3 with on the fly maps then they can chime in with their specific use-cases, process.

Since you said you are considering, really should go with MHD instead...
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I run MHD and it does kick in right away. I think what you are referring to is what people know as adaptation's.

If anyone here is using BM3 with on the fly maps then they can chime in with their specific use-cases, process.

Since you said you are considering, really should go with MHD instead...
Tbh this is my first "fast" car and I've never tuned anything before. From the forums I got the idea that BM3 is the weapon of choice. Will definitely look into MHD as well. Any distinct advantages in your opinion?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #6
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Tbh this is my first "fast" car and I've never tuned anything before. From the forums I got the idea that BM3 is the weapon of choice. Will definitely look into MHD as well. Any distinct advantages in your opinion?
These vendors that offer OTS maps, be that be BM3, MG Flasher, and MHD, all are neck and neck with the flash options/features, logging, tune stage performances, usability.

There are other places in this forum that discusses the various pros and cons of different vendors, and you should also checkout other forums of B58's.

I just like MHD in how aggressive they are with their updates, features, hardware support (eg. E-tunes, flexfuel) and support.

And if you go custom tune down the road then makes choosing these vendors even less important since they all offer means to flash custom tunes.

I jumped on MHD mainly due to their history being started out on Android (i use Android mainly).
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2022, 09:55 PM   #7
jmciver
///M SubDriver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have BM3 on my F80 M3. For the OP, what you want is a BM3 tune with Multimap. Those tunes come with 4 slots, that can be programmed with different tunes, to include OTS tunes. There are some limitations as to which tunes can be put in each slot though. I don't know what comes in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Multimap tune for the G01, but as an example, my F80 M3 has the following for the Stage 1 Multimap:

Map 1: ACN 91 Octane
Map 2: 91 Octane
Map 3: 93 Octane
Map 4: Stock M3 CS Tune file

As what was mentioned before, you can switch between all four tunes on the fly using steering wheel control buttons. You should contact PTF to verify what comes in the G01 Multimaps.

But honestly, I would not worry about switching maps due to reliability concerns. The OTS BM3 maps are well proven for all current/modern BMW engines and if you stick with Stage 1 power levels, you really have nothing to worry about - just enjoy the new power .

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 03:53 AM   #8
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

OP what year is your car? Exactly what was stated above. You may be able to have steering wheel map switching. I have a 2020 I do not have that option. But that takes 10 seconds to go from stock to tuned. Or your regular option is using a obd phone or laptop connection to change from stock to tuned. That takes about 2 minutes to complete total with hooking everything up.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:20 AM   #9
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
These vendors that offer OTS maps, be that be BM3, MG Flasher, and MHD, all are neck and neck with the flash options/features, logging, tune stage performances, usability.

There are other places in this forum that discusses the various pros and cons of different vendors, and you should also checkout other forums of B58's.

I just like MHD in how aggressive they are with their updates, features, hardware support (eg. E-tunes, flexfuel) and support.

And if you go custom tune down the road then makes choosing these vendors even less important since they all offer means to flash custom tunes.

I jumped on MHD mainly due to their history being started out on Android (i use Android mainly).
Thanks for the input! I probably won't be going for a custom tune. Just looking to get some extra reliable power simply out of the B58.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2022, 08:22 AM   #10
capten1001
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
I have BM3 on my F80 M3. For the OP, what you want is a BM3 tune with Multimap. Those tunes come with 4 slots, that can be programmed with different tunes, to include OTS tunes. There are some limitations as to which tunes can be put in each slot though. I don't know what comes in the Stage 1 or Stage 2 Multimap tune for the G01, but as an example, my F80 M3 has the following for the Stage 1 Multimap:

Map 1: ACN 91 Octane
Map 2: 91 Octane
Map 3: 93 Octane
Map 4: Stock M3 CS Tune file

As what was mentioned before, you can switch between all four tunes on the fly using steering wheel control buttons. You should contact PTF to verify what comes in the G01 Multimaps.

But honestly, I would not worry about switching maps due to reliability concerns. The OTS BM3 maps are well proven for all current/modern BMW engines and if you stick with Stage 1 power levels, you really have nothing to worry about - just enjoy the new power .
That is exactly what I am looking for. Maybe a map for Stage 1 93 Octane and a map for stock. On the days I'm feeling adventurous on my drive to work I can unleash some extra power. Thank you for your inputs!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 07:31 PM   #11
Chief Orman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335D 2010

Quote:
Quote:

Totally agree…MHD incredibly responsive and will give you custom tunes on request
Appreciate 0