BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-28-2022, 05:31 AM   #45
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Yes, in my case the only cost was for that part plus about $10 in plastic rivets for reassembly of the front bumper. Prices on eBay vary.
How has the fix held up?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 02:47 PM   #46
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4-Silverstone, 2017 X3

Quote:
There is a method to change it. Someone on the FB group was bold enough to attempt, I followed suit.

The part number is 1308310415-C1, it's not a BMW part number and I don't know if it can be bought new somewhere but there are dismantlers selling them on eBay. I rolled the dice on a seller in Lithuania, paid US$79 shipped and took 2 weeks to arrive. I looked for signs of wear at the LED chips, which are visible - in my photo, the replacement is on the bottom on the bag.

The module is above the headlight bulb housing, remove the bulb for ease of access. But access still isn't easy, I drilled holes in the housing to reach in with a T20 screwdriver and remove the module.

Sadly there's another failure mode to look at - wear to the faces of the plastic DRL "tubes" which you can imagine are functionally fiber optic. The hot LED can cause discoloration. This would warrant entire housing replacement.

I carefully cleaned the faces with IPA and a cotton swab and I think the result is better. The worst part of the job is pulling the bumper cover.

Pictures are not in order but you can clearly see the difference in color of the LED output.
Have you had condensation problems after opening up the case and letting in moist air?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:21 PM   #47
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There is a method to change it. Someone on the FB group was bold enough to attempt, I followed suit.

The part number is 1308310415-C1, it's not a BMW part number and I don't know if it can be bought new somewhere but there are dismantlers selling them on eBay. I rolled the dice on a seller in Lithuania, paid US$79 shipped and took 2 weeks to arrive. I looked for signs of wear at the LED chips, which are visible - in my photo, the replacement is on the bottom on the bag.

The module is above the headlight bulb housing, remove the bulb for ease of access. But access still isn't easy, I drilled holes in the housing to reach in with a T20 screwdriver and remove the module.

Sadly there's another failure mode to look at - wear to the faces of the plastic DRL "tubes" which you can imagine are functionally fiber optic. The hot LED can cause discoloration. This would warrant entire housing replacement.

I carefully cleaned the faces with IPA and a cotton swab and I think the result is better. The worst part of the job is pulling the bumper cover.

Pictures are not in order but you can clearly see the difference in color of the LED output.
Also, are there two of these modules per head light? One for each ring?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 03:53 PM   #48
ClampThurst
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heticor View Post
There several vendor on line fro that part number

here one from ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164505029986
Looks like Alibaba is also selling these.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...535250144.html
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 04:45 PM   #49
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X4guy View Post
How has the fix held up?
No complaints or issues so far, all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post
Have you had condensation problems after opening up the case and letting in moist air?
No not that I've noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClampThurst View Post

Also, are there two of these modules per head light? One for each ring?
Correct.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2022, 07:32 PM   #50
eliteautomotive
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw m5, 2009 Bmw 535i

Repair parts

New link for the Angel eye repair modules https://www.ebay.com/itm/314123547311
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2022, 07:39 AM   #51
str8spir
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 F26

Was able to make this happen due to this post. Thank you

Hey guys,

I made a bimmerpost account just to thank you guys for all the useful information provided here.

Luckily my issue was not as severe as described in these posts. I only had one led from one module affected/dimmed/tad yellow but due to these posts I understood that I need to act quickly so as not to damage the ring/fiberglass from further exposure to a bad/burning led.

The bad DRL in my case was also lucky as it was the driver side one, right around the lightbulb/D1S so one screw from the DRL was accessible via the back after removing the D1s bulb.
Sadly, I had to disassemble a part of the front bumper(not all the way) in order to take out the headlight.
We removed all the screws on the top/bonnet level, all the screws between bumper and engine shield, took out the plastic semicircle wheel cover and unscrewed the T30 screw holding the plastic bumper tied to the front car wing. After that we were able to gently pull away the bumper from one side so as to make wiggle room and take out the two screws from underneath the headlight and bam, it was removed.

After that, took a 10 drillbit and gently made a whole in the back of the headlight assembly right above the other DRL LED screw. Took out the DRL.
Used a 8 drillbit and gently rotated it on the fiberoptic canal for the LED just to scratch surface a bit, then used a 2 drillbit to get in deeper and scoop the burn out part. These were done by hand not using the drillbit machine(way to many things can go wrong).
After that, just put in DRL back, tested and it looks like new.
Put in a plastic clip inside hole and also put in engine silicone around plastic clip so as to avoid future condensation and etc.
Overall I'm very pleased with how this turned out. Sorry that I didn't take any pictures as I was very nervous initially for the whole operation.
Just wanted to thank you guys for all the useful info.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 10:40 PM   #52
Vayiamper
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 35i xdrive M Sport

Quote:

Your post saved me a lot of $$$$....Thats pretty easy to change it and cost almost nothing($60 CAN)....Thanks dude.....(BTW a got an X3 2015 )
Appreciate 0