BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-31-2023, 12:33 PM   #1
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Exhaust valve controller

To anyone who has fitted an exhaust valve controller like dAHLer etc….. where the hell did you install the main unit
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 02:44 PM   #2
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfrazier View Post
Pretty sure dAHLer puts in the instructions where to mount it inside the car.

But I recently installed my SST controller and just put it near the battery in the rear. There were 2 holes to route the cables down.
I am looking at installing internally by the battery but I can’t locate any existing holes large enough to pass the plug ends through
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 03:42 AM   #3
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsfrazier View Post
The very far left and right side of battery on the sides, under the plastic storage bins on either side. There are holes.

Did dahler not send you these instructions?
https://www.daehler-tuning.com/wp-co...3M-F98-X4M.pdf
Mine has now arrived. I was doing a recky looking for a way through or under the car where it can be placed but there isnt anywere.

I much appreciate the reply though.

The next thing thats confusing me is did you take the plugs apart to pass the cable through the 5mm drilled hole, they dont mention how to achieve that in the instructions
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 07:14 AM   #4
Losxc451
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M

I installed mine under the car. If you have a spare tire it is quite a bit of work to get it installed inside the car. It is 100% doable, just depends on how much time you are willing to put into installing it. There is a bin on the driver's side that you can get out, but getting the push rivets and screws out is not easy due to space constraints.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      09-01-2023, 09:16 AM   #5
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addbuyer View Post
To anyone who has fitted an exhaust valve controller like dAHLer etc….. where the hell did you install the main unit
Ive had an email from dAHLer (excellent service from them) saying that as their unit is waterproof, they have it fitted externally on their workshop vehicle. strange that the instructions state it must be fitted internally though.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #6
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Ive had an email from dAHLer (excellent service from them) saying that as their unit is waterproof, they have it fitted externally on their workshop vehicle. strange that the instructions state it must be fitted internally though.
I installed it internal under trunk floor board, there's just a lot of clips on the inside and a few bolts you need to remove to gain access to the holes where you drop the cables. Dahler does a good job of showing the end result, but I needed to dig around quite a bit to get all the right stuff off to gain access.

As an aside, they have plastic grommets plugging both holes, so I pulled those out. Probably best to replace with a fitting rubber grommet for insulation.

If you have any specific question, you can reach out direct to teams/facetime.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      09-01-2023, 01:56 PM   #7
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTanks52 View Post
I installed it internal under trunk floor board, there's just a lot of clips on the inside and a few bolts you need to remove to gain access to the holes where you drop the cables. Dahler does a good job of showing the end result, but I needed to dig around quite a bit to get all the right stuff off to gain access.

As an aside, they have plastic grommets plugging both holes, so I pulled those out. Probably best to replace with a fitting rubber grommet for insulation.

If you have any specific question, you can reach out direct to teams/facetime.
Mine is now installed and under the boot. Took about two hours and yes there are some bolts, clips and panels to remove. The BMW plugged holes were not big enough to pass the fittings through through so I had to use a 30mm hole cutter and plug with rubber grommets.
Thanks guys for your help.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2023, 10:45 PM   #8
Stereolab42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
In the vicinity of the passenger rear wheelwell there is a nice cubbyhole that can be accessed by undoing two bolts. The Dahler unit fits in there quite safely, and that's what I did. The unit is in a case that appears all but bombproof so outside of driving over an IED I have no worries.
Appreciate 2
      09-03-2023, 06:10 AM   #9
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Little off topic but how does the exhaust sound after installing the valve controller?

And stock exhaust ?

Been looking at them for a while but not sure if it’s worth it for mid pipe and stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 10:24 AM   #10
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoix View Post
Little off topic but how does the exhaust sound after installing the valve controller?

And stock exhaust ?

Been looking at them for a while but not sure if it’s worth it for mid pipe and stock exhaust
I also have everything stock but being in the UK, the EU said let’s fuck all sports cars by making them sound like electric cars. I had the exact same issue with an X5 M50i, it sounded shit.
So knowing I have to install a mid pipe to get shot of the resonator and secondary cats, I thought what’s the point if the valves are still controlled by the car and shut once the start up is over or only open again at full chattel, hence step one with the valve control.
As for the sound with just the controller, it’s certainly an improvement of course but don’t expect thunder.
I am now stuck with which mid pipe to go with
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2023, 12:02 PM   #11
NoTanks52
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
I also have everything stock but being in the UK, the EU said let’s fuck all sports cars by making them sound like electric cars. I had the exact same issue with an X5 M50i, it sounded shit.
So knowing I have to install a mid pipe to get shot of the resonator and secondary cats, I thought what’s the point if the valves are still controlled by the car and shut once the start up is over or only open again at full chattel, hence step one with the valve control.
As for the sound with just the controller, it’s certainly an improvement of course but don’t expect thunder.
top mid pipe for this vehicle is AA, unless going full catback, it's probably valvetronic or one of the aliexpress knock offs
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      09-04-2023, 09:16 AM   #12
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Quote:

Definitely check out the aa non resonated midpipe. I have always used aa midpipes on my f80 and now f97. I wanted it to be louder but this is the perfect setup for having a baby in the back.

Will try to find some sound clips of an aa mid pipe with valve controller.
Appreciate 1
Addbuyer833.50
      09-15-2023, 05:50 PM   #13
Joatmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7M60i

Remove exhaust valve entirely ??

I read about options to unplug the connector or add controllers to the exhaust valve (flapper) to hold it open. Why does anyone not just cut it out of the exhaust pipe and weld in a replacement pipe section? Will this cause a fault code or it is too loud?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 01:20 AM   #14
Stereolab42
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Comp

Garage List
2023 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
I read about options to unplug the connector or add controllers to the exhaust valve (flapper) to hold it open. Why does anyone not just cut it out of the exhaust pipe and weld in a replacement pipe section? Will this cause a fault code or it is too loud?
fault + you need an option to quiet it down sometimes if you do a midpipe
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 08:09 AM   #15
Addbuyer
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joatmon View Post
With a stock exhaust it’s not too loud to have the valves open all the time that’s for sure. Some guy on the X5 forum welded his permanently open because pulling the fuse when open, didn’t work. As for cutting them out, that’s your warranty gone straight off and as Stereolab says, the controller gives the option to shut them when further work (mid pipe, catless down pipes etc) is carried out
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2023, 09:13 AM   #16
Joatmon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7M60i

Thanks for your input. I do question if it would void the warranty. It is probably not worth the risk. “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act is a federal law that requires manufacturers to honor warranties despite a vehicle’s aftermarket modifications. To successfully challenge a modification, the manufacturer must prove that the changes created the need for repairs.”
Appreciate 0