BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2023, 06:18 AM   #23
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
ie. F1, IMSA and Indy Cars
For sure - has been used extensively in those for years. But its use in more basic transportation manufacturing is clearly increasing as well.

Some excerpts from a BMW article about CFRP and use in its vehicles:

Carbon is among the materials used in auto-making whose importance is only going to increase going forward. … Engineers are just as enthusiastic about carbon, as it guarantees high strength and rigidity with a low specific weight. …

Carbon fiber is highly desirable for components that need to be stable AND lightweight, such as for use in automotive engineering. That’s why carbon fiber is used in aerospace engineering, as well as in the construction of aircraft, boats and bicycles. In car-making, carbon fiber, like many a material before it, has found its way from racing to mass production. Because every ounce of weight saved counts in motorsports…

At BMW, for example, the material is used in roofs for BMW M models and in visible carbon fiber structures for BMW M Performance Parts. … The material is also used in body components for the BMW 7 Series, and was previously in the BMW i8 and most notably in the BMW i3. In this electric vehicle the entire car body – the passenger cell – is made of carbon fiber. …

Carbon fiber is characterized by lots of positive properties that set it apart from other materials. One of its advantages is high rigidity. The structure of a carbon fiber material is extremely stable. Carbon fiber car parts are able to absorb large amounts of impact energy. This means that, used in the right places, carbon fiber helps to increase vehicle safety.

Another advantage of carbon is its low specific weight. Body components made of aluminum, one of the most important light metals, can weigh 20 to 30% more than a corresponding element made of carbon, a rate that can increase to 50% in the case of steel. Less weight means less fuel or electricity used, and thus a better carbon footprint. Alternatively, the performance properties of sporty vehicles can be further increased through the use of carbon fiber. The reason is simple: lighter means faster. …

To sum up, there is no other material besides carbon fiber that can be used in such a weight-saving manner while at the same time offering these mechanical properties.

From: https://www.bmw.com/en/performance/c...-in-a-car.html
Appreciate 2
95wildtt840.00
      10-26-2023, 10:12 AM   #24
TacosRule!
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
For sure - has been used extensively in those for years. But its use in more basic transportation manufacturing is clearly increasing as well.

Some excerpts from a BMW article about CFRP and use in its vehicles:

Carbon is among the materials used in auto-making whose importance is only going to increase going forward. … Engineers are just as enthusiastic about carbon, as it guarantees high strength and rigidity with a low specific weight. …

Carbon fiber is highly desirable for components that need to be stable AND lightweight, such as for use in automotive engineering. That’s why carbon fiber is used in aerospace engineering, as well as in the construction of aircraft, boats and bicycles. In car-making, carbon fiber, like many a material before it, has found its way from racing to mass production. Because every ounce of weight saved counts in motorsports…

At BMW, for example, the material is used in roofs for BMW M models and in visible carbon fiber structures for BMW M Performance Parts. … The material is also used in body components for the BMW 7 Series, and was previously in the BMW i8 and most notably in the BMW i3. In this electric vehicle the entire car body – the passenger cell – is made of carbon fiber. …

Carbon fiber is characterized by lots of positive properties that set it apart from other materials. One of its advantages is high rigidity. The structure of a carbon fiber material is extremely stable. Carbon fiber car parts are able to absorb large amounts of impact energy. This means that, used in the right places, carbon fiber helps to increase vehicle safety.

Another advantage of carbon is its low specific weight. Body components made of aluminum, one of the most important light metals, can weigh 20 to 30% more than a corresponding element made of carbon, a rate that can increase to 50% in the case of steel. Less weight means less fuel or electricity used, and thus a better carbon footprint. Alternatively, the performance properties of sporty vehicles can be further increased through the use of carbon fiber. The reason is simple: lighter means faster. …

To sum up, there is no other material besides carbon fiber that can be used in such a weight-saving manner while at the same time offering these mechanical properties.

From: https://www.bmw.com/en/performance/c...-in-a-car.html

Great link, thanks for posting
Appreciate 1
Max Well4769.00
      12-10-2023, 04:54 PM   #25
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Bumping - to respectfully request updated G97 images from BMW M, and also to share a photo-edited image of our 2022 LCI X3MC with a true slick top, which hopefully will become an option in the G97 - while still holding out hope for a CFRP version as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #26
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 MC

Quote:
Bumping - to respectfully request updated G97 images from BMW M, and also to share a photo-edited image of our 2022 LCI X3MC with a true slick top, which hopefully will become an option in the G97 - while still holding out hope for a CFRP version as well.
Such a beauty Max. Someday maybe I'll get a 2nd X3 MC with the slick top & turn it into a drag strip monster & towing rig.
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 2
Max Well4769.00
Jnat414.50
      12-12-2023, 06:22 AM   #27
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Such a beauty Max. Someday maybe I'll get a 2nd X3 MC with the slick top & turn it into a drag strip monster & towing rig.
Thanks, Kevin_The_Clean1 - hopefully the G97 will offer an improved slate of factory options (c/w our F97s) for those of us interested in maximizing the X3MC's performance and handling.
Appreciate 2
      02-13-2024, 11:21 AM   #28
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

I edited the title to more accurately reflect uncertainty surrounding SOP-EOP for the G97 X3MC, as to my knowledge a definitive timeline hasn’t been shared yet. I questioned our Forum’s Insider, ynguldyn in his ‘Future BMW model information’ thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
M cars are never released at the same time as their base models. You can check the history for any existing one and compare.
Quote:
Understood. Our early run 2018 G01 X3M40i arrived Oct 2017 and early production 2020 F97 X3MC in Sep 2019. So if that's consistent looking at ~ 2-1/2 years. [Edit 18 Feb 2024 1119AM -And for completeness of the model timeline, my wife's early run 2022 F97 X3MC LCI arrived in Aug 2021]. Will check back for your updates. Thanks again for the thread.
So it seems this is all we have to go on for now…

Last edited by Max Well; 02-18-2024 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Added the 2022 X3MC LCI early run arrival date for completeness
Appreciate 3
      03-11-2024, 11:43 PM   #29
Xtabi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
I edited the title to more accurately reflect uncertainty surrounding SOP-EOP for the G97 X3MC, as to my knowledge a definitive timeline hasn’t been shared yet. I questioned our Forum’s Insider, ynguldyn in his ‘Future BMW model information’ thread:

So it seems this is all we have to go on for now…
Come on BMW….BREAK THAT TREND! Release the X3MC at the same time!
      03-14-2024, 08:04 AM   #30
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtabi View Post
Come on BMW….BREAK THAT TREND! Release the X3MC at the same time!
Doubt it'll happen Xtabi, and it may work to our advantage to allow time for them to correct issues with the new design before the G97 is released.

As an aside, the G45 vs G01 specs comparison which I shared in the G45 Forum seems to suggest some good news if they also translate over to the G97.

Weight seems to have decreased for all EU models (note the US is prob elevated because of options either chosen greater than 33% and must therefore be included in US Curb wt numbers or will be standard, whereas they’ll be options elsewhere). This would seem to imply that pure ICE will still be present as hybrid tech would have to add wt.

The M50x is also getting tire size increases front and rear, from 245/275 to 255/285, which may bode well for the G97 to transition to the popular 265/295 specs which many are running on the F97 now.

We'll see...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Xtabi1703.00
      04-02-2024, 04:02 PM   #31
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

While waiting for reliable info directly from M related to the G97, made a few other rough changes to the X3MC camo - forged wheels, lowered the front lip and side skirts. Would be helpful if Marketing could at least push for release of the SOP-EOP so F97 Enthusiasts can plan their ownership of this series...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      04-02-2024, 05:54 PM   #32
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
While waiting for reliable info directly from M related to the G97, made a few other rough changes to the X3MC camo - forged wheels, lowered the front lip and side skirts. Would be helpful if Marketing could at least push for release of the SOP-EOP so F97 Enthusiasts can plan their ownership of this series...
Maybe the M department is realizing how much of a prime market there is for this awesome machine & they're making sure to dial this monster up a notch or two by adding a CF roof option & CF brakes. Looking forward to more details soon as well even though I don't see myself parting ways with my current pre-LCI early production F97 X3 MC anytime soon!
Appreciate 2
95wildtt840.00
Max Well4769.00
      04-03-2024, 03:44 AM   #33
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Maybe the M department is realizing how much of a prime market there is for this awesome machine & they're making sure to dial this monster up a notch or two by adding a CF roof option & CF brakes. Looking forward to more details soon as well even though I don't see myself parting ways with my current pre-LCI early production F97 X3 MC anytime soon!
Agree! Would think Marketing could at least let the G97 SOP-EOP date range leak out to ynguldyn since many other series in his 'Future model' thread [https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686 ] have projected dates near or well past the timing of when we're guessing the G97 will land.

Examples:

G75/G76/G77/G93, 8 series coupe, cabrio, GC, M8GC - In production 07/26-06/33
G65/G95 X5, iX5, X5M - In production 8/26-07/33
G50/G51 3er - In production 11/26-10/34
NA7 iX4 - In production 11/26-06/34
NA0/NA1 i3 - In production 11/26-6/35
G67 X7, iX7 - In production 08/27-11/34
NB5 iX1 - In production 11/27-10/35
NB0 i1 - In production 3/28-2/36
G66/G96 X6, iX6, X6M - In production 04/28-03/35
NB8 i2 - In production 07/28-06/35
NA2/NA3 i4 - In production 07/28-10/36
G45 LCI is currently scheduled for 11/28
G79 iXM - In production 12/28-11/35
ND0 i7 - In production 07/29-06/37

Last edited by Max Well; 04-03-2024 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Added more examples and placed in chronological order
Appreciate 2
Xtabi1703.00
      04-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #34
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:
Marketing could at least let the G97 SOP-EOP date range leak out to ynguldyn
That's not how it works.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 02:28 PM   #35
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That's not how it works.

It should though. Us hard-core M car enthusiast need to know this stuff quick so we can plan to keep or sell with quickness. LOL

Appreciate 2
Max Well4769.00
Xtabi1703.00
      04-03-2024, 03:42 PM   #36
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

Quote:

It should though. Us hard-core M car enthusiast need to know this stuff quick so we can plan to keep or sell with quickness. LOL

Find SCOTT26, make him come back to the forum. He was doing here exactly what you've asked.
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 07:33 PM   #37
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That's not how it works.
Quote:
Find SCOTT26, make him come back to the forum. He was doing here exactly what you've asked.
SCOTT26 - A name from the past…

In 2014 I started a ‘Wish List’ for the G01 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015499 ] as it seemed likely BMW should have at least one staff member following a major BMW Forum. And he came through with a response (see attached image). Seems a trivial thing for him to have responded as he did, but it became clear he was somehow connected to BMW’s manufacturing/design process (I still don’t know in what capacity, if any), and I appreciated his input at the time. Helped us to feel BMW was listening...

Suspect Corporate liability and disclosure worries may have put an end to such participation, but for simple questions such as the SOP-EOP for a specific model when even more distant models’ timelines have already been shared (in your thread), then it’s our loss if a source for such basic info is unavailable.

Like it or not, it seems your thread has become that surrogate as I suspect you’ve already sensed in some way. Currently ~8.6M views from BMW Enthusiasts seeking insight into their favorite model - I’m sure you’ve seen all types of requests coming your way.

To be honest, when I mentioned you in my post I was planting a seed with Marketing to share this seemingly basic yet germane info which a lot of us consider for our future purchases. I suspected that was not how the data-gathering process worked for you specifically (and you’ve been rightfully careful not to divulge such methodology), but as you are currently the only resource for future info on a regular basis it seemed a reasonable place to at least plant it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-03-2024, 09:05 PM   #38
thestimp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC MBB - C-17 Globemaster

Garage List
2022 X3mC  [10.00]
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
4. Digital Key+ for every vehicle please....

5. 60 watt USB C charging port(s) front and back or 110 converted outlet in the rear... oh man I have so many..
6. A 10" built in sub or bracketed for one in the back where the first aid kit goes in the US models.
7.A secret spot to create an aftermarket phone mount like the F80 had...

One can dream...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2024, 12:53 AM   #39
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
SCOTT26 - A name from the past…

In 2014 I started a ‘Wish List’ for the G01 [ https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1015499 ] as it seemed likely BMW should have at least one staff member following a major BMW Forum. And he came through with a response (see attached image). Seems a trivial thing for him to have responded as he did, but it became clear he was somehow connected to BMW’s manufacturing/design process (I still don’t know in what capacity, if any), and I appreciated his input at the time. Helped us to feel BMW was listening...

Suspect Corporate liability and disclosure worries may have put an end to such participation, but for simple questions such as the SOP-EOP for a specific model when even more distant models’ timelines have already been shared (in your thread), then it’s our loss if a source for such basic info is unavailable.

Like it or not, it seems your thread has become that surrogate as I suspect you’ve already sensed in some way. Currently ~8.6M views from BMW Enthusiasts seeking insight into their favorite model - I’m sure you’ve seen all types of requests coming your way.

To be honest, when I mentioned you in my post I was planting a seed with Marketing to share this seemingly basic yet germane info which a lot of us consider for our future purchases. I suspected that was not how the data-gathering process worked for you specifically (and you’ve been rightfully careful not to divulge such methodology), but as you are currently the only resource for future info on a regular basis it seemed a reasonable place to at least plant it.
Max, I certainly think you should be on or at least get invited to one of the preliminary board members meeting at some point in time because you have a very realistic view of what current customers truly want in the current & next gen X3 M platform. What you did was a great idea & it never hurts to reach out & at least let others know we highly value the brand & what comes next... !
Appreciate 1
Max Well4769.00
      04-06-2024, 08:01 AM   #40
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
...it never hurts to reach out & at least let others know we highly value the brand & what comes next... !
Not sure how they end up deciding what goes into a model, be it focus groups or just gathering random surveys or... I suspect they do have Staff reviewing what we all share here at Bimmerpost and other social media sites who gather info and send it up the ladder where the pool of ideas keeps getting distilled down to the final product by the time it reaches the top (to whomever and wherever that is).
Appreciate 1
      04-14-2024, 10:49 PM   #41
knali8
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

A glimpse of what the 2025 X3M may look like. This is the 2025 X3 M50i

It now gets:

- Carbon paddle shifters
- Duel exhaust outlet
- more power (from what was mentioned in the vid)
- more variance in steering and suspension difference
- idrive 9
- Code name G45
- updated rear differential (slides appear to have more angle)

Attached Images

Last edited by knali8; 04-15-2024 at 08:06 AM..
Appreciate 3
Gfit2721.50
Max Well4769.00
      04-15-2024, 08:27 AM   #42
Max Well
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by knali8 View Post
A glimpse of what the 2025 X3M may look like. This is the 2025 X3 M50i

It now gets: ...
Thanks for sharing, knali8 - looks very promising for the G97. If they've done this much work on the M-Performance line can't see those efforts not being raised to an even higher performance and handling standard in the X3MC. This G45 M50 definitely looks tighter in handling c/w current G01 X3M40i as they comment in the video. Suspect that's what threw me off when I wrote the following back in Oct (post #11)! Also, glad to see them filming the M50 without a pano!

Quote:
Not entirely convinced that the G45 video at the Ring shared 5/24/23 ('G45 X3 M40i spied testing at the Nurburgring', https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2019800) shows only the base and M Performance models. The one with dark roof and license plate 3341 looks too flat and stable in the curves and appears more c/w a G97’s handling IMO. The exhaust also sounds more c/w the S58? ...
Appreciate 1
      04-17-2024, 06:47 PM   #43
Tim@codemybimmer
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
Do note that apparently there are rumors that the G97 X3M will be dropped in favour of a full EV iX3M instead, much like how there is no further development on the X4 and X4M.

Both noted here - https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/04/17/2...45-debut-june/ and with a comment on the technical workshop video as well here -

We can only hope that they'll still offer a G97 X3M but seems it might be drying up.
Appreciate 3
Max Well4769.00
Xtabi1703.00
      04-18-2024, 12:32 AM   #44
Kevin_The_Clean1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim@codemybimmer View Post
Do note that apparently there are rumors that the G97 X3M will be dropped in favour of a full EV iX3M instead, much like how there is no further development on the X4 and X4M.

We can only hope that they'll still offer a G97 X3M but seems it might be drying up.
I sure hope BMW doesn't kill off the G97. With them not bringing the G81 to the US, they can't stop all our fun. With the S58 still being produced until 2028 or 2029, there should be a few good years left with one of the best ICE power plants ever produced - in many flavors of good new chassis.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4769.00