BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
luisavila
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

N55 engine noise

Hello good night, if someone has any ideas that may have happened.(I attach videos)

I got that noise after about 50 km of having changed a spark plug, all that noise to disappear after 150 km(1.5 hours) of travel. It's very strange because it's gone, there's no more noise.

When the engine was noisy, it issued the fault codes on several cylinders (3-4-6)

I deleted codes and they have not returned. There are no strange noises either.-

Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:47 PM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Strange noise for sure. Now that the noise is gone, have you noticed if it is low on power or significant change in mpg? Did you just change one spark plug or all of them? If only one, why? And are you sure you replaced it with the same plug as the others and the proper gap? The engine's computer will adjust to some sub-optimal conditions after a while and wont throw new codes, even though its not working at its best. I think the easy answer is that either something is wrong with the spark plug(s) you replaced and/or something didn't get put back together properly.
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2019, 11:17 AM   #3
coloradobboy2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 3.5

My 2014 x3 xdrive35i engine just started making this sound/tick. I took it into the dealership to get the oil changed and they said it was due for spark plugs to be changed as well. They said though that the ticking was too loud and wanted to do a full diagnostic which will happen tomorrow. I hope it's nothing serious...anyone have this tick and what did they do to fix it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=f4GWTWhA1zg
Appreciate 0