BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-29-2019, 08:26 PM   #23
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad doc View Post
Uh, Carnegie deli has been closed for almost 2 years! Lol. But yeah, go to Katz and Russ and Daughters next door.

I second using Uber over taxi or subway with exceptions during peak traffic hours or heading to the Bronx from midtown.
Forgot they closed it, haven't been there in about 25 years.
They stole power from neighbors yet they made $10k a day... fined millions from the city (was told?)

It's a good corned beef but I always feel I'm eating at another table (tight) Katz is much better more open space feel

Was open then closed again, checked last month

To OP,
Street food is good too, careful on the pushcart hotdogs, better to try gray's papaya Brodway/W 72nd
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #24
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I'm an aussie that lives in Toronto.

IMHO the list of despised people in the USA goes liek this;

- Pedophiles
- Non-tippers
- Low tippers
- Mass murderers

You get the drift.
I think you are being overly melodramatic. I can see servers being mad about not getting tipped (I bet you would be mad too if you didn't get paid for your work), but most other professions it is more of a courtesy than an expectation.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      05-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #25
Savageenterprise
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 (E93)

Garage List
There's so many amazing spots in the city, I could type for days lol. But a few things I think would be worth seeing are the following. Check out Central Park or the highline for a nice walk. You can go downtown to the World Trade Center to see the memorial and on Fridays they do a pop up Smorgusburg with lots of different food vendors. Great thing to do for lunch.

Definitely check out Rockafeller Centre, the Empire State Building and Times Square, those are just iconic areas of the city. If you happen to be in the area of your travels, check out St. Patricks Cathedral, the architecture is incredible.

As for dining/bar hopping, some great spots can be found the Village (SoHo Area) and Hells kitchen. NY pizza is a must. Two places I can recommend are this pizza place in SoHo called Joes Pizza has been around forever and another one called Johns Pizza, I believe on 44th and 8th.

Fine Dining such as steaks or seafood you have limitless options really, just use google . But, for something a little different and still amazing quality/quantity of food, visit this restaurant called Plataforma. It is an upscale Brazilian Rodizio style restaurant where they cut the meat right off the spit onto your plate. It's also all you can eat.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!
      05-30-2019, 10:12 AM   #26
rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savageenterprise View Post
There's so many amazing spots in the city, I could type for days lol. But a few things I think would be worth seeing are the following. Check out Central Park or the highline for a nice walk. You can go downtown to the World Trade Center to see the memorial and on Fridays they do a pop up Smorgusburg with lots of different food vendors. Great thing to do for lunch.

Definitely check out Rockafeller Centre, the Empire State Building and Times Square, those are just iconic areas of the city. If you happen to be in the area of your travels, check out St. Patricks Cathedral, the architecture is incredible.

As for dining/bar hopping, some great spots can be found the Village (SoHo Area) and Hells kitchen. NY pizza is a must. Two places I can recommend are this pizza place in SoHo called Joes Pizza has been around forever and another one called Johns Pizza, I believe on 44th and 8th.

Fine Dining such as steaks or seafood you have limitless options really, just use google . But, for something a little different and still amazing quality/quantity of food, visit this restaurant called Plataforma. It is an upscale Brazilian Rodizio style restaurant where they cut the meat right off the spit onto your plate. It's also all you can eat.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip!
Agree with Joes pizza though there isnt a location in Soho. Just go to the location in Time Square. I personally do not like Johns at all.

Haven't been to Plataforma but all the Brazilian steakhouses are all the same to me. Try Marea for great spot, fine dining at reasonable price. Almost as good as La Bernardin. Almost.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2019, 12:15 AM   #27
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54Yankee View Post
NY'er here. Can't address the electronic topic as it's not my thing.
You could take the subway to get around but that's quite confusing for most. Most New Yorkers are helpful if asked but it's still overwhelming. I would recommend cabs to travel in manhattan. Yellow cabs are all on the meter and funny business is rare. You'll get what you pay for. Walking the streets is a great way to get around if the distances aren't to far. A lot to see while hoofing it. There are Double Decker guided bus tours of manhattan which I hear tourists like. They can be be found at the west side bus terminal right by Times Square.
Ferry's for the Statue of Liberty, Ellis island down at Battery Park on the Southern tip of the island.

As far as food, NYC has it all, from 'dirty water dogs' on the street to the most expensive Michelin rated restaurants around. Just about every imaginable cuisine of the planet is represented. All depends on what you're looking for on a particular day. A computer search will give you much info on what's hot and what's not. Check out Little Italy downtown for Italian, try Lombardi's for great NY thin crust and fantastic pastas and entrees. Chinatown right next door for Chinese. My favorite steakhouse in the city is The Old Homestead on the west side in the meat packing district. Smith and Wollensky is another great steakhouse. Check out our museums, The Met for opera, ballet, Broadway shows galore, Freedom Tower, Empire State, Central Park, MSG, St Patrick's and so much more to do.
Have a great time in the Big Apple!
+1 for old homestead.

Sorry OP. I live in the NY area and it would take me pages to give you the rundown. My suggestion would be be to do a bunch of internet searches.

I always joke around that I'm my own travel agent. Right now we are in Italy for 2+ weeks driving the country and all the research and booking was done online.

Good luck.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      06-30-2019, 06:59 AM   #28
Pupsaiden
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi e92, N55

I want to thank all of you guys for suggestions. Managed to visit all of the iconic NY places, including your suggested ones. Really liked the shakeshack and Lombardi's place!

Since we still have some time here left, we traveled to Coney Island beach and had some great time there too. Now it is only a matter of buying some gifts to take back home

Once again, thanks for the suggestions/help. We really enjoyed the city!
Appreciate 2
2000cs3450.00
Run Silent15127.00