BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-31-2019, 08:35 PM   #1
newbeamx3
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Atrocious gas milage.

Hi All. I've just recently acquired a new to me, my 1st Bimmer. A 2006 X3 with 88k miles on the clock. Since before I bought it I've been reading through this forum and have already done the fluids in the F/R diff, the transfer case and the transmission fluid/filter service. Lots of great info here. I hope to contribute as much as I can. I have the buck/shudder under load on the highway. (But not every time I try and reproduce it) I bought the upper O2s and am waiting to install them if they really are needed. I must say I got lucky. the underside of this car is CLEAN. the oil pan is JUST starting to sweat. the VANOS hose is just starting to weep and it leaks no coolant- hoses and radiator look great. It is kinda rusty in spots under the car. I wonder if it was the quality of metal BMW used or the fact that this has been a Northeast car its whole life???
I did a search for gas mileage and came up with nothing so I felt the need to ask. What is everyone getting out of a tank? I barely get 300 miles. My Audi 4.2 V8 gets better gas milage. This thing is a pig. Do I need to do a VANOS rebuild and/or reset adaptations and do O2 sensors? What adaptations exactly need to be reset? LTFT?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
17mpg city/25mpg highway according to Google for the 3.0L 6 cylinder. With a 17 gallon tank you should be getting more than 300 miles if you drive on the highway. If you drive the LIE then all bets are off.

If the O2 sensors are bad, this will affect fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 09:23 PM   #3
newbeamx3
Rep

I avoid the LIE at all cots. I am getting overall 17 MPG. 17 gallons x 17 MPG = 289 miles/tank.... GAAAHHHBAGE.
I drive a combination of City/highway. I guess I am just expecting too much. I was hoping crack 20 MPG average. I'd be OK with that.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #4
newbeamx3
Rep

I dont think that rust busting out of the sway bars has anything to do with PO upkeep. I should take a picture of it. The bolts holding up the spare tire holder under the rear of the car are rusted to the point they are rounded. its pretty bad in some spots. Oh well. Doesn't mean I wont drive the wheels off this thing. I like it.
Yep thats a good YT channel.
I watched the pano roof rebuild because I'll probably need it someday. I will need to fix the headliner on the shade soon though. Not looking forward to that ...But I'm thinking Alcantara...Why use the same cheap crap if I'm going to remove the shade and redo the liner?? the cost difference for a few yards of alcantara is worth it IMO. Perhaps I'll do a write up on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #5
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW X3/ 98 BMW M3

I get around 22mpg with mine and on the all freeway drive from Seattle to Michigan, i got 25mpg according to OBC and verified with fuel fill up vs. miles etc.

As for your bucking issue it could be a number of things. I chase a bucking issue on my wife's x3 for 2 months and replaced almost everything.

Transmission fluid filter (thought it was torque converter related)
Mass airflow sensor
primary O2 sensors
Cleaned Vanos sensors
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
Spark plugs
Coil packs

Eventually i found a video tucked away in the depths of youtube about the eccentric motor SENSOR. this sits under the valve cover, between the 2 cams and sticks up through the valve cover to its connector. It measures the cam angles once the eccentric motor rotates the exhaust cam. What happens is the sensor gets impregnated with oil over time and gives bad readings to the computer and motor causing the car to buck and kick. 3 BMW dealers and 2 independent shops couldn't figure it out. After replacing it for $130 and clearing the adaptations it never did it again.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #6
newbeamx3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596 View Post
After replacing it for $130 and clearing the adaptations it never did it again.
Sounds like it was the adaptations all along. I got INPA 5.2 on a laptop but it seems my DKAN cable does not work. so I haven't been able to clear the adaptations yet. I'm debating on buying a new cable only or upgrading the version of INPA in addition to the new cable.

Which adaptations did you reset?

Last edited by newbeamx3; 04-24-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeamx3 View Post
Sounds like it was the adaptations all along. I got INPA 5.2 on a laptop but it seems my DKAN cable does not work. so I haven't been able to clear the adaptations yet. I'm debating on buying a new cable only or upgrading the version of INPA in addition to the new cable.

Which adaptations did you reset?
it wasn't the adaptations. I cleared them after every attempted fix. As stated, the eccentric shaft sensor fixed the issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 02:57 PM   #8
newbeamx3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishtom1596 View Post
I cleared them after every attempted fix.
Again- what adaptations exactly?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
englishtom1596
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbeamx3 View Post
Again- what adaptations exactly?
just the engine ones? I only have a handheld OBD scanner. so there's only 1 type of adaptation.
Appreciate 0