BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
cadman50
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Wireless charging ordering question

I just noticed that when you order Wireless Charging option (6NW), it adds Enhanced USB and Bluetooth (ZEB) to the order. I've read that the charging capabilities are not great. If I don't order wireless charging, does that mean I won't be able to stream from my phone via bluetooth? What is the advantage of having this option? or disadvantage?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

You will be able to stream, but you will not have the ability to connect two phones simultaneously and you will not have office features (texting, etc.). Some people manage to code these options in. However, you will also lack the "booster" that allows the phone to use the shark antennae.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
sneesh
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M BMW M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by lap777 View Post
You will be able to stream, but you will not have the ability to connect two phones simultaneously and you will not have office features (texting, etc.). Some people manage to code these options in. However, you will also lack the "booster" that allows the phone to use the shark antennae.
Quote:
ok bear with me here, you can use the shark fin as a booster??? how would you do that or like get it to work/connect
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneesh View Post
ok bear with me here, you can use the shark fin as a booster??? how would you do that or like get it to work/connect
The phone has to be on the charger, but don't expect more "boost" than taking the phone outside the car.

I also forgot that the option also gives a second microphone for voice commands.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #5
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

I passed on this option and don't regret it. Car has bluetooth and wireless connectivity so easily stream music straight from my phone, album art and all. No cellphone connection issues either and frankly I can't recall the last time I went somewhere isolated enough to have a poor signal that might make the booster worth it. Never say never but stay pretty much in an urban environment...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
However, you will also lack the "booster" that allows the phone to use the shark antennae.
I thought you could still use the "booster" if you didn't get the charging pad? Just had to manually turn it on or something?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias1431 View Post
I thought you could still use the "booster" if you didn't get the charging pad? Just had to manually turn it on or something?
My understanding is that it has to be registered and I didn't get any registration information with my car (it doesn't have the charger).
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:32 PM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
This is an item that is BMW does not describe enough. Wireless charging brings you an extra usb port in the arm rest compartment, a second mic above the passenger, ability to pair a second phone simultaneously. Also I think it adds the "office" features that include SMS messaging.. I can't remember if that (SMS) is standard now because it used to not be.

As far as the booster in the shark fin is concerned, I thought that was old school when you had the smartphone adaptor in the armrest compartment - and that went the way of the dodo. I don't recall it being part of 6NW/ZEB at least for the last few years. Was it something I just never noticed?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 02:42 PM   #9
lap777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
As far as the booster in the shark fin is concerned, I thought that was old school when you had the smartphone adaptor in the armrest compartment - and that went the way of the dodo. I don't recall it being part of 6NW/ZEB at least for the last few years. Was it something I just never noticed?
I don't have the option so I can't be sure, but looks like there's a wireless repeater:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...57&postcount=3

I had forgotten about the extra USB, that's true. The charge capacity might also be different.
Appreciate 1
JSY584.00
      10-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #10
cadman50
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
I don't have the option so I can't be sure, but looks like there's a wireless repeater:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...57&postcount=3

I had forgotten about the extra USB, that's true. The charge capacity might also be different.
Some of the features might be useful. The booster can help me sometimes as I can be in some remote areas. When you register, is this something that's free for a period and then you have to subscribe?
Even though the charger might not be the best, it is kind of nice not to have to take out a cable. Someone mentioned wireless in the car. Is that a way to stream music and get a better sound?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Little tomato
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Some of the features might be useful. The booster can help me sometimes as I can be in some remote areas. When you register, is this something that's free for a period and then you have to subscribe?
Even though the charger might not be the best, it is kind of nice not to have to take out a cable. Someone mentioned wireless in the car. Is that a way to stream music and get a better sound?
Registering is a FCC requirement in case they need to contact you. Most dealers don’t even give info. My guy did. You get a code to enter according to carrier and there you go!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #12
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
Someone mentioned wireless in the car. Is that a way to stream music and get a better sound?
It is there even if you did not get the wireless charging option. I have my phone set up to connect via the wifi though I am still experimenting as sometimes it seems to connect via BT first.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 07:46 PM   #13
jeff3820
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

The "booster" is basically an extension/amplifier for the phone antenna. If you have the antenna amplifier, it is located in the hatch area on the drivers side...where the first aid kit would be located if it was installed. Pull the small access panel cover off. Looking into the access port, the phone amplifier is located about 2 o'clock mounted to the inside of the fender...it is not the module lower down about 7 o'clock. Mine was made in Portugal. There is a brand, model, and serial number which will be needed to register the module with your cell provider.

I really see no difference in phone signal strength when the phone is on the charger or just sitting in the car not charging.
Appreciate 0