BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #177
Babbage
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 2011

Didn't get a call back from the dealer, but my car did the same thing again over the weekend. I uploaded the info via iDrive. We'll see what they say Monday.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #178
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babbage View Post
Well, the problem is back. Multiple warnings: tire pressure, stability control, 4x4, "brake system, drive moderately", ABS, Brake, ...

I sent my error codes from the car to the dealership via the iDrive service request. The dealer says that my computer reports a low battery charge, and that this is the cause of the problem.

I sure hope so, but it's looking more and more like I'll need a new transfer case. I guess I'm in for a lot of back and forth with BMW.

Thankfully it's happening early in the warranty period.

Anyone have any experience with Canadian (quebec) lemon law equivalent procedures?
I feel a "LEMON" coming on.
      10-16-2011, 10:18 PM   #179
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Nope. Replacing the transfer case fixes it. That's how Lotus7 and I both had our problems taken care of. The problem that has been lemoning X3s since launch is the front left suspension clunk, which sounds very similar to driving over a manhole cover. When BMW decides to address this, well, that will be that.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:27 AM   #180
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Nope, no lemon law in Canada. BMW isn't even participating in http://www.camvap.ca/ So, if worse comes to worse, it will have to be dealt with through small claims court. (Limit: $7,000 in Quebec, soon to be $10,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post
Nope. Replacing the transfer case fixes it.
I plan to keep my car for a long time. I sure hope that fixing this major part doesn't break something else in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 05:33 AM   #181
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Nope, no lemon law in Canada. BMW isn't even participating in http://www.camvap.ca/ So, if worse comes to worse, it will have to be dealt with through small claims court. (Limit: $7,000 in Quebec, soon to be $10,000)

I plan to keep my car for a long time. I sure hope that fixing this major part doesn't break something else in the long run.
I wish you good luck with it.
      10-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #182
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
I don’t see why it would.
There have been a couple of reports of this, but it seems to be far from a global problem. Just like most other parts, if it breaks or is defective you replace it and move on.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 09:37 AM   #183
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

It doesn't. Do not worry, my friend.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #184
Babbage
Private
Rep

Question

Sigh. So the dealership says that they looked into the "service bulletins" and find nothing that matches it. He wants me to bring the car in to run a full diagnostic.

I have no problem with this of course, as long as they don't stick me in a Corolla for another month.

I also hope that I won't need to go through lots of useless repairs until they figure out the cause.

For the guys who got this problem: how did your dealer figure it out? What test(s) did they run? What results did they get? How can I point my dealer in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #185
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Sigh. So the dealership says that they looked into the "service bulletins" and find nothing that matches it. He wants me to bring the car in to run a full diagnostic.

I have no problem with this of course, as long as they don't stick me in a Corolla for another month.

I also hope that I won't need to go through lots of useless repairs until they figure out the cause.

For the guys who got this problem: how did your dealer figure it out? What test(s) did they run? What results did they get? How can I point my dealer in the right direction?
Best of luck to you. You might tell them that you bought an all-wheel drive for the weather and would like the same for the loaner.

Also, you might not want to "point" them in any direction, as service departments seem to not like that, enough so that they tend to push back in some way or another. However, you might mention that your cousin's neighbor in the States had a similar issue with their 2011 X3, and see if they ask about it further. If they do, next day you tell 'em about the transfer case.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 07:04 AM   #186
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Nooooooooo! My wife just described an error on the dash that sounded identical to this. She happened to be near the dealership so it's there now

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #187
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

The wife looked at the pictures here and confirmed it was the same error.

Someone from BMW emergency services came to the house and, as expected, the diagnosis was a low battery level (as given to a few other people on this thread). The car hasn't been left for any period of more than a day recently and did a 50 mile round trip on Sunday so I don't really buy that as the cause.

Do you think it's better to wait for a repeat occurrence and take a picture of the error or to push for more action now? In two minds....

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #188
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Nooooooooo! My wife just described an error on the dash that sounded identical to this. She happened to be near the dealership so it's there now
This really sucks, whether it's the electrical system or the transfer case. I was assuming that the problem was happening on lower mileage cars. Seeing that your X3 is nearly a year old, I assume that you have higher mileage. I figured with my >9,000 mi that I was out the woods. Back to feeling like I'm driving a keg of dynamite.

Good Luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #189
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

yup, sadly built Jan 2011, delivered Feb 2011, about 6,000 miles. I'm going to call them and get the "explanation" from the horse's mouth and will post details

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #190
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
The wife looked at the pictures here and confirmed it was the same error.

Someone from BMW emergency services came to the house and, as expected, the diagnosis was a low battery level (as given to a few other people on this thread). The car hasn't been left for any period of more than a day recently and did a 50 mile round trip on Sunday so I don't really buy that as the cause.

Do you think it's better to wait for a repeat occurrence and take a picture of the error or to push for more action now? In two minds....
After dealer recharged the battery, I didn't have the error since May......
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #191
abliebowitz
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Same thing happened to me!

Sunday night I pulled out of my garage to go to a meeting. As I'm heading out of my driveway, the abs, brake and drive moderately appeared on my dash! I couldn't figure out how to turn it off! I'm in New York, so it's not a Chicago thing ! I ended up turning off the engine and restarting it and it went away. I will call the dealer in the morning. Let me know if you hear anything
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 07:56 AM   #192
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Since the car is still new, and there's lots of time for the warranty to run, at this point I'm not pushing anything. I'm just documenting (notes with time, date, descriptions; emails; pictures).

I'll let BMW run tests and various fixes on other people, and hopefully they'll figure it out before my warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2011, 08:27 AM   #193
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Since the car is still new, and there's lots of time for the warranty to run, at this point I'm not pushing anything. I'm just documenting (notes with time, date, descriptions; emails; pictures).

I'll let BMW run tests and various fixes on other people, and hopefully they'll figure it out before my warranty runs out.
Yep, I've decided to do the same as you for now. Will post on this thread if I get a reoccurence.

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #194
gauthier
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3 20d / K1200S

Same problem

I occasionnally have the same problem. It happens always after driving in very rainy conditions.
I tried braking hard, the ABS didn't work anymore. Solution : Stop the engine and restart. The defaults desappear.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #195
Babbage
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauthier View Post
I occasionnally have the same problem. .... Solution : Stop the engine and restart. The defaults desappear.
This is *not* a solution. Such a fault can happen again during slippery conditions, or during a long distance drive, or at another "critical" time that would cause a danger to you or your passengers. You should go to the dealer and get a permanent fix as soon as possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #196
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
This is *not* a solution. Such a fault can happen again during slippery conditions, or during a long distance drive, or at another "critical" time that would cause a danger to you or your passengers. You should go to the dealer and get a permanent fix as soon as possible.
All the affected X3's in this thread seems to have Dynamic Handling Package...may be that's causing the problem (I may be wrong). DHP seems to be overly complicated solution for X3 which doesn't require it to handle well.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:50 PM   #197
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
They are back again this morning.....
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #198
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468
They are back again this morning.....
The only thing that fixed it for me was replacing the transfer case.
Appreciate 0