BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2021, 10:32 AM   #45
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
If all that you wanted was to have waze from android and radio from idrive, why not first ask the produced, whether it will work like that. You could save yourself some money and significant amount of time. Too late for that I guess . So its the same as with simple screen mirroring. Source is either idrive or your phone.
      05-16-2021, 09:48 AM   #46
theleg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X4 M40D

Because on this unit the sound is Via the aux . But on another unit I had , that didn't display the sound wasn't through the aux . I never noticed to be honest as my car doesn't have aux . But this unit came with an aux to usb
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:50 PM   #47
Mike-r
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by theleg View Post
Because on this unit the sound is Via the aux . But on another unit I had , that didn't display the sound wasn't through the aux . I never noticed to be honest as my car doesn't have aux . But this unit came with an aux to usb
Are you selling this now?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 07:15 PM   #48
Drexel_Lake
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 330cic

Garage List
2020 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
2005 BMW 330ci  [5.00]
Quote:
When I bought mine last year they told me it could have carplay and android would be in 2020 turns out it was a load of shit !!!!!
Personally I think Android Auto is crap and no longer use it.
      05-26-2021, 10:56 AM   #49
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-r View Post
Are you selling this now?
yes i am its in the for sale section
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 10:57 AM   #50
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexel_Lake View Post
Personally I think Android Auto is crap and no longer use it.

Well in the last 2 hire cars i had it had it and i think its great imho
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:03 AM   #51
Drexel_Lake
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [5.00]
Quote:
Well in the last 2 hire cars i had it had it and i think its great imho
I've tried it with the last two phones I had. I would be a mile down the road before it even open when set to auto launch. Reinstalling and using in another car made no difference. I tried it last week and Google maps was telling me I was doing 35 in A 7mph zone and wouldn't allow me to re-center the map. I also lose satellite way too often in areas I know have clear coverage.

Some of this is listed in their known bugs. I had more problems, just not worth addressing right now. I no longer use it because with the last update they combined Auto and Maps and you can no longer uninstall it for troubleshooting. I'll try it again eventually. Hopefully they'll fix the many known bugs.
      05-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #52
Bestle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 LCI, Audi R8

I'm yet to encounter any issue with Android Auto in my car. It starts automatically when I get in the car and the navigation is accurate and reliable with google maps.

It's definitely a must have for me in any future car.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #53
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexel_Lake View Post
I've tried it with the last two phones I had. I would be a mile down the road before it even open when set to auto launch. Reinstalling and using in another car made no difference. I tried it last week and Google maps was telling me I was doing 35 in A 7mph zone and wouldn't allow me to re-center the map. I also lose satellite way too often in areas I know have clear coverage.

Some of this is listed in their known bugs. I had more problems, just not worth addressing right now. I no longer use it because with the last update they combined Auto and Maps and you can no longer uninstall it for troubleshooting. I'll try it again eventually. Hopefully they'll fix the many known bugs.
Are you sure its not a phone issue as in last 4 cars i have used over the the last 3 months i have never had an issue at all just works flawlessly .

i used in BMW X1 brand new , 220GC and this week in 320 Tourer i also used it in a Volvo XC60 as well as a Corsa. I am running a Oneplus *8T
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #54
Drexel_Lake
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW 330ci  [5.00]
Quote:
Are you sure its not a phone issue as in last 4 cars i have used over the the last 3 months i have never had an issue at all just works flawlessly .

i used in BMW X1 brand new , 220GC and this week in 320 Tourer i also used it in a Volvo XC60 as well as a Corsa. I am running a Oneplus *8T
Positive. Google even lists this as a known issue for some, but not all users. I see stories almost every day about known Android Auto glitches. Another is one of the linked music apps just starting to play on it's own. Can happen at anytime. I had it come on around 3am one morning with the phone on my dresser.

My X3 M40i will be here tomorrow. I'll try it again when it arrives. https://support.google.com/androidauto/community?hl=en
      06-07-2021, 11:05 PM   #55
gvm77
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 G01 xdrive30i i6

Is Google Maps a perfect substitute?

When the in-car sat nav is used, (1) navigation guidance appears in heads-up display, (2) new cruise control speeds are proposed based on speed limits en route, (3) the road priority warning system uses info regarding the route that is forwarded from the navigation system, and there may be other features that depend on the use of the in-car gps.

If I used Android Auto and Google Maps, would I lose all of these features? TIA .... Greg
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #56
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

what model car and ID version as id7 version waze showed up in the dash clocks so i assume HUD will be fine as well
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #57
gvm77
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 G01 xdrive30i i6

Is Google Maps a perfect substitute?

Quote:
what model car and ID version as id7 version waze showed up in the dash clocks so i assume HUD will be fine as well
Thank you theleg for your reply. My 2018 X3 has ID6 .... Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:57 AM   #58
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvm77 View Post
Thank you theleg for your reply. My 2018 X3 has ID6 .... Greg

Think you lose HUD for google maps the integration isn't as good id7
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 03:56 PM   #59
Jacpaf
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01- 2018 Xdrive 2.0d

Hi Theleg,
Not sure if you’re still around and have found your ideal setup but i have a question regarding the android head unit replacement: can the idrive standard interface be kept as the default screen when the car starts?
Basically i like idrive, have car play oem, have nav business but with the 6.5” i can’t stand anymore. I’m looking for upgrading the screen to 10” without any need for the Android layers.. i’m looking for a solution where the Android interface is “invisible”. Is that the case for the unit you tried?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:45 AM   #60
theleg
Private First Class
Rep

yes mate it works as normal you only see the android side when you select android auto everything else is OEM. i still have my unit for sale if intrested as i run carplay now
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 04:06 PM   #61
guyman101
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 Xdrive30i

Quote:
Right so i got the new unit and installed it yesterday ..... it didnt work lol.

Spoke to Cartizan via whats app and they where really helpful sent me a software update changed some dip switches and booooommmm

It works and works well its very quick and i was able to android Auto via the usb cable but also via wireless

But the downside for me is the audio comes through an aux to usb adaptor thats also supplied and the sound quality is great no issues.

My issue is that ii wanted to use Waze while using the OEM DAB and i cannot do this. For me this is a pain and as such have removed the device. I cannot return the device as it does work as stated . i just never thought about the audio problem. So think i will just sell it on .

Hi, not sure if you're still around but I hope you could help answer this question for me, as I'm trying to install a similar mmi box into my 2019 x3.
Does the USB adaptor connect into the USB port near the cup holders, or is there a different connection for it? I'm asking because I don't want any cable showing. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #62
guyman101
Rep

I recently installed a RoadTop MMI box in my 2019 G01.
The unit came with an aux to usb adapter, but I did not use it. Instead, I coded AUX into my Idrive (NBT EVO ID6) by using bimmercode and a Veepeak OBDII scanner. The audio just gets routed to the car's Aux but there is no physical connection to it. Initial audio quality was not great, but turned out OK after I tinkered around with the EQ settings of the MMI box.

Initial setup for wired and wireless carplay was seamless.
Android Auto was a bit more challenging, using a Samsung Galaxy S21. It took a reboot of the unit (long press on IDrive's Back button) for it to recognize the phone when connected via usb. Wireless AA was extremely laggy at 1st, but got solved after changing the wi-fi channel from 6 to 36.
Steering wheel buttons and scrolling wheel integrate very well with Carplay or AA.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 10:01 AM   #63
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyman101 View Post
I recently installed a RoadTop MMI box in my 2019 G01.
The unit came with an aux to usb adapter, but I did not use it. Instead, I coded AUX into my Idrive (NBT EVO ID6) by using bimmercode and a Veepeak OBDII scanner. The audio just gets routed to the car's Aux but there is no physical connection to it. Initial audio quality was not great, but turned out OK after I tinkered around with the EQ settings of the MMI box.

Initial setup for wired and wireless carplay was seamless.
Android Auto was a bit more challenging, using a Samsung Galaxy S21. It took a reboot of the unit (long press on IDrive's Back button) for it to recognize the phone when connected via usb. Wireless AA was extremely laggy at 1st, but got solved after changing the wi-fi channel from 6 to 36.
Steering wheel buttons and scrolling wheel integrate very well with Carplay or AA.

Hope this helps.
Hi, guyman101!

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a promising road.
I'd like to do the same for my 2018 G01 with NBT EVO ID6.

I looked at the RoadTop MMI boxes, but it seems they are compatible only with X3 from F-series, not with our G-series.
What specific model did you bought?
What coding did you make with Bimmercode and where (what module)?
Could you be so kind to unveil more details about what you did?

Regards,
Stefan
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:08 AM   #64
guyman101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Hi, guyman101!

Thanks for the info, it sounds like a promising road.
I'd like to do the same for my 2018 G01 with NBT EVO ID6.

I looked at the RoadTop MMI boxes, but it seems they are compatible only with X3 from F-series, not with our G-series.
What specific model did you bought?
What coding did you make with Bimmercode and where (what module)?
Could you be so kind to unveil more details about what you did?

Regards,
Stefan

Hey Stefan!
I got my RoadTop MMI box from Amazon, they have an option for EVO, which works in our G01 with IDrive6 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because our cars don't have an AUX plug, you would have to code the following in Bimmercode:
CDMM_AUX_HU - set to AKTIV
CDMM_ANALOG_AUX - set to AKTIV
CDMM_AUX_SIMPLE_1 - set to AKTIV
Once that's done, AUX will appear in IDrive under Media.

As far as the installation, I removed the dashboard trim (vents, climate control, head unit) and followed the instructions in this video -
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #65
StefanJ
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 xDrive 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyman101 View Post
Hey Stefan!
I got my RoadTop MMI box from Amazon, they have an option for EVO, which works in our G01 with IDrive6 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Because our cars don't have an AUX plug, you would have to code the following in Bimmercode:
CDMM_AUX_HU - set to AKTIV
CDMM_ANALOG_AUX - set to AKTIV
CDMM_AUX_SIMPLE_1 - set to AKTIV
Once that's done, AUX will appear in IDrive under Media.

As far as the installation, I removed the dashboard trim (vents, climate control, head unit) and followed the instructions in this video -
Hi, guyman101.

Thank you for the Amazon link, now it's clear what to buy and where from.
But I'm still confused about the sound connection between the box and the ID6 unit.
Below are my question marks.

In the clip, I saw that the guy used the "aux to usb adapter", but I don't want to use that method, because I'll not be able to use the USB of the car.

You said that you didn't use the "aux to usb adapter" provided.
But what physical connection for the sound you made? It should be one I think, otherwise how will the sound pass from the box to the ID6 unit?

You said also that, after the settings made with Bimmercode, "AUX will appear in IDrive under Media".
But what will be the AUX port of the ID6 in this case? ID6 units does have a jack physical connector?

These are the things I don't understand.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 04:20 PM   #66
guyman101
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanJ View Post
Hi, guyman101.

Thank you for the Amazon link, now it's clear what to buy and where from.
But I'm still confused about the sound connection between the box and the ID6 unit.
Below are my question marks.

In the clip, I saw that the guy used the "aux to usb adapter", but I don't want to use that method, because I'll not be able to use the USB of the car.

You said that you didn't use the "aux to usb adapter" provided.
But what physical connection for the sound you made? It should be one I think, otherwise how will the sound pass from the box to the ID6 unit?

You said also that, after the settings made with Bimmercode, "AUX will appear in IDrive under Media".
But what will be the AUX port of the ID6 in this case? ID6 units does have a jack physical connector?

These are the things I don't understand.
You're welcome!

The unit comes with an aux to usb adapter, but you would not use it. All you have to do is connect the power cable from the MMI to your car's media console and code aux into IDrive using the commands I provided.
The MMI is programmed to transmit audio through aux by default (instead of USB), that's why you have to code AUX into the car and select that output on your IDrive after you code it in. You're fooling the MMI into thinking that there is an aux port when there is none.
That's the same bypass that BimmerTech uses, and this unit is pretty much identical to BimmerTech' MMI Prime.
Just make sure to follow all the instructions in the video except for connecting the aux to ub cable.

Last edited by guyman101; 12-09-2021 at 08:32 AM..
Appreciate 0