BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
RTCalifornia
Love2speed
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4 Conv. zcp 6M

Garage List
2021 Jeep Rubicon  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW M4 Cv  [0.00]
Dashcam install, tap into dome power. Dome light removal

Thought I share how I tap power for my Garmin Dashcam to the dome light wiring.

I thought about running the wires down but decided it was be easier to just tap a pin that has power that energize and de-activates after ignition has been turn off. Turns out there are no wires in the Dome compartment that would immediately cut power after ignition off or "Door Lock" activated but there are a number of wires that will eventually (10 minutes) turn off.

Disclaimer: I did not have an electrical diagram of the overhead dome light so I basically used a Volt meter to find several power source and did testing to see which wires looses power after the vehicle sleep. I do not know the rated power supplied by the wire I am tapping so CAUTION, do this at your own risk. I did make sure the Garmin Adapter does not load the 12v line voltage beyond 0.5V once tapped.

Steps:

1 Remove Dome light assembly by removing the plastic cover on with a plastic pry tool. Pry starting from the outside edges. Be very careful not to crack the cover.

Then remove the 2 torx #1.5 screws.

Push in the spring clips to release the Dome assembly from the top bracket. Do this for both sides.

2 Tap the power from the 3rd wire from the right on the connector. I tapped from the orange-red with yellow stripe wire. This seems to be able to hold power when energized.

For the negative side, I found a pale green color bolt and used that as my ground connection.

There are many different automotive style wire taps available. I decided to solder as I am very comfortable with soldering.

3 Close everything up and test. I notice the Garmin Dashcam would power down after about 8 minutes after I lock the vehicle. The Garmin Dashcam would quickly turn on as soon as I un-lock the car. So far, its working very well.

I will attach a video of the entire process soon.
Attached Images

03-26-2021, 04:46 PM   #2
AbleDanger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 X45e

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
Very nice! I just got my Garmin Dashcam 56 in today, and was wondering where a good place to wire it in would be, and it looks like this would be ideal. I notice you didn't use the parking mode cable?

How long have you had this in place?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:50 PM   #3
RTCalifornia
Love2speed
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW M4 Cv  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbleDanger View Post
Very nice! I just got my Garmin Dashcam 56 in today, and was wondering where a good place to wire it in would be, and it looks like this would be ideal. I notice you didn't use the parking mode cable?

How long have you had this in place?
Hey, I just did this a few days ago. So total of 3 days. So far so good. Works great. No issue.
However, which one is the parking mode cable? If there is another cable that would turn off quicker, i would like to know about it and perhaps test it.

Thanks,

RT
      03-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #4
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Parking mode cable is sold separately. It is usually tapped into the fuse box. I had the Thinkware front and rear done and the fuse box was in the back right side in the trunk. It was a pain to get all the cables hidden from the front to the rear.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Very nice write-up RT and helpful pictures.

AbleDanger: There is an issue using 'parking mode' on dash cams unless you have either the dash cam auxiliary battery option or another source other than the X3's battery to power it. As I mentioned in my detail on installing the Blackvue DDR900S 2Ch dash cams (see https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...lackvue+dr900s the X3 has software that doesn't like unknown drains on the battery while parked. In this case, the X3 continued to allow the BlackVue system to fully operate in 'parking mode' but started to shut down 'non-essential' functions and post a message. The non-essential function I noticed it shut off was the remote FOB's ability to open the trunk, for example. The message displayed when I got in the X3 was that it did not shut down properly and electrical management issue.

Unfortunately this X3 software designed to ensure you can always start your X3 after prolonged parking, ends up defeating the usefulness of the parking mode dash cam settings.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 06:09 PM   #6
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Quote:
Very nice write-up RT and helpful pictures.

AbleDanger: There is an issue using 'parking mode' on dash cams unless you have either the dash cam auxiliary battery option or another source other than the X3's battery to power it. As I mentioned in my detail on installing the Blackvue DDR900S 2Ch dash cams (see https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696342&highlight=blackvue+dr900s the X3 has software that doesn't like unknown drains on the battery while parked. In this case, the X3 continued to allow the BlackVue system to fully operate in 'parking mode' but started to shut down 'non-essential' functions and post a message. The non-essential function I noticed it shut off was the remote FOB's ability to open the trunk, for example. The message displayed when I got in the X3 was that it did not shut down properly and electrical management issue.

Unfortunately this X3 software designed to ensure you can always start your X3 after prolonged parking, ends up defeating the usefulness of the parking mode dash cam settings.
That's interesting. I have the Thinkware ones and they have that kind of warning. I set it to automatically turn off if it detects voltage drop below 12.2V and I haven't encountered any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 07:02 PM   #7
JDsX3
Rep

Eric, how long after your X3 shuts off does your Thinkware unit continue to record?
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 08:44 PM   #8
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Very cool - those are some great pictures too. Somewhere amongst this forum there are threads about tapping into the fusebox for dash cam and I also went the route of the front right fuse box and tapped into the fuse for the lighter, which also turns off after I think 7 minutes. Turns on when anything electrical is turned on. It's great that you were able to shorten the route for wire by going directly up there.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 05:14 AM   #9
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d 2021, 430d 2017, X1 20D

Hard wire kit looks like this , you can wire for parking or not, this might be neater than using the adaptor that comes with it and an extension plug.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-27-2021, 10:46 AM   #10
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Eric, how long after your X3 shuts off does your Thinkware unit continue to record?
I haven't ran into it shutting off yet, but the most I've parked my vehicle is around a couple of days. I use my vehicle quite regularly. So far I haven't encountered dashcam turning off due to low voltage. The type of dashcam will make a difference, I have the Q800Pro front and rear.

Also you would need to have a big memory card for it to record all footages for at least a couple of days. I currently have 128gb in it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 10:33 AM   #11
JDsX3
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_88 View Post
I haven't ran into it shutting off yet, but the most I've parked my vehicle is around a couple of days. I use my vehicle quite regularly. So far I haven't encountered dashcam turning off due to low voltage. The type of dashcam will make a difference, I have the Q800Pro front and rear.

Also you would need to have a big memory card for it to record all footages for at least a couple of days. I currently have 128gb in it.
Thanks Eric. I also run a 128gb in the Blackvues.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #12
dinan5m3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e39 m5 e46 m3 g01 x3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagm View Post
Hard wire kit looks like this , you can wire for parking or not, this might be neater than using the adaptor that comes with it and an extension plug.
Says that box is supposed to allow adjusting the voltage cutoff to allow this cable to disable recording if drops below that threshold.

Wonder if this cable can be used on other dashcam if same usb connection.

Anyone know if such parking mode cable exists with other brands of dashcam?

I recall other brands carry dedicated battery unit for parking mode. But this Garmin's solution looks okay to me as an alternative to that separate battery solution, and will stop car battery from draining completely.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2021, 12:25 PM   #13
eX3Werks
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinan5m3 View Post
Quote:
Says that box is supposed to allow adjusting the voltage cutoff to allow this cable to disable recording if drops below that threshold.

Wonder if this cable can be used on other dashcam if same usb connection.

Anyone know if such parking mode cable exists with other brands of dashcam?

I recall other brands carry dedicated battery unit for parking mode. But this Garmin's solution looks okay to me as an alternative to that separate battery solution, and will stop car battery from draining completely.
Major brands will offer their own parking mode cable. I would recommend pairing the brand of dash cam with brand of parking cable. Ie, don't mix them. You never know if it'll work well, why take the chance.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2021, 01:41 PM   #14
AbleDanger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
Still makes me wonder if the parking cable for the Garmin will still show up as unknown voltage drain, and cause the car to start shutting down ancillary things (as described in that other thread).

If not, I'm inclined to just wire in the parking mode cable in the overhead console and just run with it - easier than running it down to the fusebox.

Right now I have it just temp ran to the 12v receptacle, and it works fine, but I'd like the parking mode feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 05:19 AM   #15
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Still makes me wonder if the parking cable for the Garmin will still show up as unknown voltage drain, and cause the car to start shutting down ancillary things (as described in that other thread).

If not, I'm inclined to just wire in the parking mode cable in the overhead console and just run with it - easier than running it down to the fusebox.

Right now I have it just temp ran to the 12v receptacle, and it works fine, but I'd like the parking mode feature.
i had this kit in my 4 series for 2.5 years, however wired to fuse box (cost £25 for Halfords to fit, and never saw a cable again.) parking worked no battery issues, the Garmin camera itself failed after 2.5 years.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2021, 01:23 PM   #16
AbleDanger
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW X5 45e  [10.00]
Quote:
i had this kit in my 4 series for 2.5 years, however wired to fuse box (cost £25 for Halfords to fit, and never saw a cable again.) parking worked no battery issues, the Garmin camera itself failed after 2.5 years.
That's good to know. Yeah it isn't hard to run it down to the front fuse box, so I might just do that. Any issues with ASS (auto start/stop)?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:27 PM   #17
plagm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's good to know. Yeah it isn't hard to run it down to the front fuse box, so I might just do that. Any issues with ASS (auto start/stop)?
only reason i paid Halfords to do it as in the car i had at the time (4 series's) i had to wire into the rear.

X3 better as you use the front and there is loads of lovely people who have figured out which fuses to tap into, BMW's are a nightmare in regards to whats live, when and for how long.....i will fit the next one in this car myself, when i pick one, unfortunately wont be a Garmin,

Halfords did a great job for the money, i was actually quite shocked...

no issues with instal and ASS.

Sorry just realised your in NA, Halfords is just a national Car parts/accessorises supermarket that fits a few aftermarket items like dash-cams, stereos, sat navs and carries out some servicing.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2021, 06:45 PM   #18
Jeffola
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3, 2019 Shelby GT350

How in gods name do you get the tiny grille out without damaging it?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 03:18 PM   #19
RTCalifornia
Love2speed
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2019 BMW M4 Cv  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffola View Post
How in gods name do you get the tiny grille out without damaging it?
Very carefully. If you use a really thin plastic pry tool, and pry it from the edge, it comes out easily.

Good luck.
      01-01-2023, 01:24 AM   #20
iamrusso
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Are there any wires under the dome light that power off when the car is turned off/locked? The ones I found would still provide power after the car is turned off/locked.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 04:58 AM   #21
avi66
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrusso View Post
Are there any wires under the dome light that power off when the car is turned off/locked? The ones I found would still provide power after the car is turned off/locked.
Suspect they power off after several minutes, similar to the 12v cigarette lighter socket.

IIRC there are limited fuse options for instant power off with the ignition, but there is spare one #206(?) in the rear fuse box on mine.
Appreciate 1
glennbk583.50
      01-01-2023, 05:28 PM   #22
glennbk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3 M40i

Had Best Buy install it and did an excellent job.
Appreciate 0