BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
Interior Trim , console , Standard small accesories and othere Changes in 2021 X3

Hi All,

There are some minor changes which I feel BMW never publishes. I am eagerly waiting for my 2021 x3 m40i which is in transit from the factory. In the meantime, I was reading forums and watching videos. There are a couple of things that I found different in 2021 compared to 2018-2020 x3 pics or videos which I have seen online. Because of so many country-dependent minute details ( like exterior M batch removal in the USA), I'm not sure even after seeing some 2021 videos online what is present or absent in USA models. So I am confirming these changes/observations here on this amazing forum and hoping someone will confirm/clarify these observations. Thanks !

1. The interior trim (aluminum/oak) when seen in 2021 online configurator is just present near the center screen console and is missing around the I-drive controller ( In 2021 its piano black irrespective of trim). When I checked the BMW website for x3 interior pics in some pics its present in some it's not. For 2018-19 cars I have seen lots of posts where the console around the I-drive was the same as the trim you choose. Please see the pics attached. Can someone confirm is this only a bug in the 2021 online configurator or that's how it is in 2021. I never saw this in the official changelog of 2021.

2. The Current BMW owners manual ( See attached pic) and online forum say that the USA model comes by default with a smokers package, which means a cigarette lighter, ashtray in the cupholder . I have seen a lot of reviews videos online but haven't seen the ashtray there in cupholder ( Maybe these review videos are not of USA model). Can someone confirm if the ashtray and cigarette lighter is standard in the USA in 2021?

3. I have read a lot of posts where people say that they found a BMW branded USB adapter to be but in 12 v socket) inside their glove box/rear storage. Are these also standard in 2021 x3s? Have read some post that people didn't found it at the time of delivery as it was taken by the genius/dealer. So kindly confirm.

4. Is First-aid kid, road warning triangles, and jack-hammer for wheel changes standard with x3 and is present under the rear boot storage?

5. Are printed copies of the user manual provided or some cd is provided in x3?

What are other small standard things to check and confirm or someone has found while taking delivery. I hope this thread will help others too. Thanks.
Attached Images

2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |

Last edited by aashishamber; 11-12-2020 at 08:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Hmm...

1. Yes, piano black for the center console around shifter and iDrive controller.

2. My M40i came with the cigarette lighter and since I don't have the wireless charging option there is a cupped area where the wireless charger would go... I guess BMW calls that an ashtray.

3. Have not seen this but have not dug around the rear storage area yet. Will check.

4. I ordered the spare tire option but other than a brief look under the cover I have not explored what is under the cover.

5. Printed manual is provided. It is also available electronically on your iDrive.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #3
Little tomato
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 xDrive 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aashishamber View Post
Hi All,

There are some minor changes which I feel never publishes. I am eagerly waiting for my 2021 x3 m40i which is in transit from the factory. In the meantime, I was reading forums and watching videos. There are a couple of things which I found different in 2021 compared to 2018-2020 x3 pics or videos which I see online. Because of so many country dependent minute details ( like exterior m batch removal in the USA), I'm not sure even after seeing some 2021 videos online. So I am confirming these here on this amazing forum.

1. The interior trim (aluminum/oak) when seen in 2021 online configurator is just present near the center screen console and is missing around the I-drive controller ( In 2021 its piano black irrespective of trim). When I checked the BMW website for x3 interior pics in some pics its present in some it's not. For 2018-19 cars I have seen lots of posts where the console around the I-drive was the same as the trim you choose. Please see the pics attached. Can someone confirm is this only a bug in the 2021 online configurator or that's how it is in 2021. I never saw this in the official changelog of 2021.

2. The Current BMW owners manual ( See attached pic) and online forum say that the USA model comes by default with a smokers package, which means a cigarette lighter, ashtray in the cupholder . I have seen a lot of reviews videos online but haven't seen the ashtray there in cupholder ( Maybe these review videos are not of USA model). Can someone confirm if the ashtray and cigarette lighter is standard in the USA in 2021?

3. I have read a lot of posts where people say that they found a BMW branded USB adapter to be but in 12 v socket) inside their glove box/rear storage. Are these also standard in 2021 x3s? Have read some post that people didn't found it at the time of delivery as it was taken by the genius/dealer. So kindly confirm.

4. Is First-aid kid, road warning triangles, and jack-hammer for wheel changes standard with x3 and is present under the rear boot storage?

5. Are printed copies of the user manual provided or some cd is provided in x3?

What are other small standard things to check and confirm or someone has found while taking delivery. I hope this thread will help others too. Thanks.
1. 2021 X3 opener. Trim around iDrive is Piano black.
2. I have wireless charging so can’t opine.
3. Nope
4. No first add kit in US
5. Yes, but no CD. You can get customized version based on your VIN online.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #4
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Hmm...

1. Yes, piano black for the center console around shifter and iDrive controller.

2. My M40i came with the cigarette lighter and since I don't have the wireless charging option there is a cupped area where the wireless charger would go... I guess BMW calls that an ashtray.

3. Have not seen this but have not dug around the rear storage area yet. Will check.

4. I ordered the spare tire option but other than a brief look under the cover I have not explored what is under the cover.

5. Printed manual is provided. It is also available electronically on your iDrive.
Thanks for the response.

1. So does that mean BMW silently removed the trim around the I-drive controller in 2021 ( I'm not sure if it was already done in 2020) ? If that so they should not be putting the Pic on their official website showing it's still there.

2.Please see my online user manual screenshot , I have wireless charging option and the manual says that there is separate ashtray inside the cupholder . Attaching a pic of the same optional package from canada bmw configurator.
Attached Images

2021 X3 M40i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather with contrast stitching | Driving Assistance Professional Package | Executive Package | Adaptive M Suspension | M Sport Brakes with Red Calipers | Wireless Charging | HK Sound | 20" M Double-spoke bi-color wheels, style 699M with performance run-flat tires |
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 08:51 PM   #5
kscarrol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i, 1974 2002 Tii

Will have to check, never noticed an ashtray inside the cup holder...
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 09:18 PM   #6
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little tomato View Post
1. 2021 X3 opener. Trim around iDrive is Piano black.
2. I have wireless charging so can’t opine.
3. Nope
4. No first add kit in US
5. Yes, but no CD. You can get customized version based on your VIN online.
Thanks for your response.

1. By opener you mean 2021 was the first model year where the trim around I-drive controller was removed?

2. I was referring to ashtray and cigarette lighter for cars with wireless charging options. So If you have a wireless charging option can you please check and confirm.

3. You can check this . On this lots of people has mentioned finding a dual USB charger. Someone also mentioned that their genius took it away, so I'm not sure that if BMW provides and then the dealership don't give it back or if it is no longer being provided.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:58 PM   #7
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I just took delivery and have the wireless charging. There was no ashtray and I'm actually surprised that is even offered. I've never seen or had anything like that in all the X3s I've had. Interesting they mention it.

This is the first X3 in my last 3 X3s that I didn't get a dual USB charger. I am going to guess it's because of the move to USB-C ports.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the all piano black in the center console now.
Appreciate 1
      11-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
I just took delivery and have the wireless charging. There was no ashtray and I'm actually surprised that is even offered. I've never seen or had anything like that in all the X3s I've had. Interesting they mention it.

This is the first X3 in my last 3 X3s that I didn't get a dual USB charger. I am going to guess it's because of the move to USB-C ports.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of all piano black in the center console now.
Thanks for the info. Did you take delivery of 2021 x3m40i?

can you check your user manual? It says in the user manual that there should be an ashtray. Check the PDF version of the user manual.

Oh, so they have stopped giving it now? With the addition of USB c ports, it makes more sense now to give a USB charger as still a lot of devices don't have USB c support. What kind of USB ports are on 2021, are all of them USB c and how many ports are there?

Ya addition of piano black was a disappointment .The trim provided a better look. Do you plan on changing the piano black ?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #9
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Did you take delivery of 2021 x3m40i?

can you check your user manual? It says in the user manual that there should be an ashtray. Check the PDF version of the user manual.

Oh, so they have stopped giving it now? With the addition of USB c ports, it makes more sense now to give a USB charger as still a lot of devices don't have USB c support. What kind of USB ports are on 2021, are all of them USB c and how many ports are there?

Ya addition of piano black was a disappointment .The trim provided a better look. Do you plan on changing the piano black ?
Yes, 2021 X3 M40i.

Yup, I see it in the user manual - page 251. You said you read that it was standard in the US? Interesting. I know the manual talks about things that weren't standard in the US models, and I would think this was one of them.

To be honest, I thought it was always my dealer that just threw the USB lighter charger in until I realized that everyone on the forum was getting it too. lol, but this time there was nothing thrown in. So we get 1 USB-A port, and 3 USB-C ports total.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:32 PM   #10
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, 2021 X3 M40i.

Yup, I see it in the user manual - page 251. You said you read that it was standard in the US? Interesting. I know the manual talks about things that weren't standard in the US models, and I would think this was one of them.

To be honest, I thought it was always my dealer that just threw the USB lighter charger in until I realized that everyone on the forum was getting it too. lol, but this time there was nothing thrown in. So we get 1 USB-A port, and 3 USB-C ports total.
Oh, I read about this being standard in the USA on some thread. I will have to look back to find the thread. I thought user manuals were customized. Is it just the online version that is customized and the pdfs are generic? What else did you find which is not standard but mentioned in the pdf manual?

This time did you received any goodies from the dealer during delivery? car perfume/floor mats/Key chains/ BMW goodies etc? This is my first BMW purchase. Do dealers give something during delivery or one have to ask?

BTW If you dont mind do share your new car build and pics . Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:52 PM   #11
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, I read about this being standard in the USA on some thread. I will have to look back to find the thread. I thought user manuals were customized. Is it just the online version that is customized and the pdfs are generic? What else did you find which is not standard but mentioned in the pdf manual?

This time did you received any goodies from the dealer during delivery? car perfume/floor mats/Key chains/ BMW goodies etc? This is my first BMW purchase. Do dealers give something during delivery or one have to ask?

Here is an OLD thread talking about it being standard. And an amazon link where they sell it too.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 10:59 PM   #12
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Oh, sorry - I was using the physical Owner's Manual. I tried to access the digital one and it still says it's not available for my VIN yet. I really haven't gone through this manual yet (when you asked me to look for the ashtray, it was the first time) so I don't know what's in it - but in my previous experience, they put things in there that are not standard in all regions of the world - I think so the manual can be used globally. For example, they talk about the Display Key and that is not even available as an option in the US.

I usually just get BMW key chains but this time I they changed it up and gave me one key chain that is kind of ugly and not even BMW branded. I think I'll eventually buy another one. I usually don't get anything else but this time I asked for car mats and got the bmw x3 rubber mats. In my experience, you won't get anything if you don't ask but to be honest, you usually won't get anything. BMW dealers are not known to give you anything for free!

There is another thread here I posted with my first day pics of the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #13
JSY
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here is an OLD thread talking about it being standard. And an amazon link where they sell it too.
LOL that is quite old. My first X3 was in 2007 and it didn't have any cigarette lighter or ash tray.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
Little tomato
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

1. So does that mean BMW silently removed the trim around the I-drive controller in 2021 ( I'm not sure if it was already done in 2020) ? If that so they should not be putting the Pic on their official website showing it's still there.

2.Please see my online user manual screenshot , I have wireless charging option and the manual says that there is separate ashtray inside the cupholder . Attaching a pic of the same optional package from canada bmw configurator.
There is no ashtray. I have wireless charger and that’s it! Cup holder are right after wireless charging tray. I have 2021 x3.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #15
Little tomato
Private
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for your response.

1. By opener you mean 2021 was the first model year where the trim around I-drive controller was removed?

2. I was referring to ashtray and cigarette lighter for cars with wireless charging options. So If you have a wireless charging option can you please check and confirm.

3. You can check this . On this lots of people has mentioned finding a dual USB charger. Someone also mentioned that their genius took it away, so I'm not sure that if BMW provides and then the dealership don't give it back or if it is no longer being provided.
1. Believe so based on other comments. Even my previous A4 had same trim everywhere.
2. No ashtray. Last ashtray in a BMW I had was a 2016 535 that I used for change.
3. I’ll look for USB hidden somewhere. Haven’t randomly seen it.

Last edited by Little tomato; 11-14-2020 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:57 AM   #16
GS - X3
Best of Both Worlds
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3 M40i - ‘19 R1250GSA

I purchased my new 2020 X3 M40i at the end of August.
1) There is Oak trim adjacent to the iDrive Controller (thank goodness!)
2) There was no smoking package included (I do have wireless charging)
3) There was no USB Adapter supplied.
4) There were no warning triangles or first aid kit supplied.
5) The Dealer did “throw in” BMW all weather front floor mats as a “gift”.
6) A paper Owners Manual was supplied, but it doesn’t cover the entertainment system.
7) I also understand that the 2021 Model no longer has a hard drive for storing music files.
Hope this addresses your questions...
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 11:49 PM   #17
aashishamber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS - X3 View Post
I purchased my new 2020 X3 M40i at the end of August.
1) There is Oak trim adjacent to the iDrive Controller (thank goodness!)
2) There was no smoking package included (I do have wireless charging)
3) There was no USB Adapter supplied.
4) There were no warning triangles or first aid kit supplied.
5) The Dealer did “throw in” BMW all weather front floor mats as a “gift”.
6) A paper Owners Manual was supplied, but it doesn’t cover the entertainment system.
7) I also understand that the 2021 Model no longer has a hard drive for storing music files.
Hope this addresses your questions...
Congrats on your purchase. I guess there is a different manual for BMW connected drives which covers the entertainment system. You can ask your dealership to provide that (as per user comments in the forum).

Did you asked for the mat or the dealership gave you by themself? Anything else you got?

What was the idrive update version you got? july 2020 ?

Btw any idea on new update coming in nov 2020 ?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #18
LarryB08
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 750i xDrive

Quote:
I think so the manual can be used globally. For example, they talk about the Display Key and that is not even available as an option in the US.
If I am not mistaken, while the BMW display key is not available as a standalone option in the US, you will get the display key with your car as long as you ordered the car with the Remote Parking option.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 01:00 PM   #19
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

I was able to get my dealership to change the piano black center console trim to the correct carbon fiber trim on my 2021 X3 M40i (January 2021 build):

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820830
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #20
DanielHazelrigg
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport EB-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX3M View Post
I was able to get my dealership to change the piano black center console trim to the correct carbon fiber trim on my 2021 X3 M40i (January 2021 build):

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1820830
I have been struggling with this on my wife's '21 M40i build. Put in the request a couple months back to my local CSA and they gave me the story of shortages and pice adjustments. I said, I didn't get an adjustment. Told them to take it up with BMW because the images I saw when building, as well as what I was told, made my wife expect CF by the IDrive controller like the rest of the trim. Now other 2021s are being build correctly. Picked it up at the BMW SC PCD and boom, crappy Piano Black. Hoping to get a good answer soon.

Do you know if your local bmw dealer made it right or was it bmw that covered?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 09:54 AM   #21
TX3M
Car guy
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielHazelrigg View Post
I have been struggling with this on my wife's '21 M40i build. Put in the request a couple months back to my local CSA and they gave me the story of shortages and pice adjustments. I said, I didn't get an adjustment. Told them to take it up with BMW because the images I saw when building, as well as what I was told, made my wife expect CF by the IDrive controller like the rest of the trim. Now other 2021s are being build correctly. Picked it up at the BMW SC PCD and boom, crappy Piano Black. Hoping to get a good answer soon.

Do you know if your local bmw dealer made it right or was it bmw that covered?
I know they had to escalate it to BMW Regional, so I presume BMW covered the cost.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2021, 12:39 PM   #22
MusicDriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW M3 40i  [0.00]
My MY 2021 40i has a fake cigarette lighter in a socket. I assumed the socket was for a charging station. But, also discovered usb charging connector in arm rest.
Appreciate 0