BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-13-2020, 08:59 PM   #441
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniquersvp View Post
A question on negotiation etiquette.

Do you tell another dealer what specific dealer is making a better offer to you, when they ask?

I live in NO and want a x3x custom build but local dealer has no current allotments for builds
A Georgia dealer offered 9% off of msrp plus incentives which comes out to around %17 off of msrp but not sure if that does or doesn't include destination.
I asked Baton Rouge dealer whose offer was only 10% off of msrp including incentives.
I said I could do better and they wanted to know who was making me the better offer?
Don't see why it is relevant for them to know but also don't see the harm in telling them. As long as you are willing to get the car from the other dealership just let them know and say you would rather stay local if they could match the deal but it's too much money to pass up if they can't compete.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 03:25 AM   #442
Moniquersvp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Don't see why it is relevant for them to know but also don't see the harm in telling them. As long as you are willing to get the car from the other dealership just let them know and say you would rather stay local if they could match the deal but it's too much money to pass up if they can't compete.
Understand they want some proof but also don’t want to risk messing up the better deal.....

All is based on dealer indicating they do have current allocation for custom build.

Anyway to be sure the contract includes something on this as don’t want
end up waiting months if they dont have allocation
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #443
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moniquersvp View Post
Understand they want some proof but also don’t want to risk messing up the better deal.....

All is based on dealer indicating they do have current allocation for custom build.

Anyway to be sure the contract includes something on this as don’t want
end up waiting months if they dont have allocation
you are going about your negotiations wrong. It's easier if you follow the advice in this video:

TLDR: make an excel sheet with your exact build, price, (the discount YOU want), and incentives. EMAIL it to a salesman, DO NOT talk on the phone. It is in black and white. You say, you give me this, and I will buy a car. Put 12% discount (before incentives) or whatever you want and go from there. I had 2 dealerships within 15 minutes accept my offer (both local). This will save you a lot of time and effort and get you the max discount.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 09:47 AM   #444
Moniquersvp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

Got it. Makes sense. Thank you

I’m thinking about traveling to Spartenberg (9 hours away) for the BMW experience so only advantage of a local is if they would ship the car back with no additional charge so I could fly home. If not, dealership location doesn’t matter
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 09:46 PM   #445
Devin22
Rep
Drives: SQ5, GT350

My local Houston dealership only offered me a 7.5% discount before rebates. Does anyone have a lead on a Texas dealer that will offer 12% (before rebates) or more off?
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:34 PM   #446
Hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 991TT, F90 M5C, R230 SL55 AMG

In NJ I've been getting offered 10% from virtually every dealer on X3M Competitions w/ Exec...I'm still holding out for at least 12%

I've been offered 12% a few times, but they were color I wasn't interested in.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 10:44 PM   #447
Devin22
Rep
Drives: SQ5, GT350

Is the $5,500 cash incentive (non-BMW financing) a Texas-only incentive or is it Nationwide?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 10:38 AM   #448
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M, 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonigan View Post
In NJ I've been getting offered 10% from virtually every dealer on X3M Competitions w/ Exec...I'm still holding out for at least 12%

I've been offered 12% a few times, but they were color I wasn't interested in.
Seeing similar myself. There are a TON of these sitting on NJ dealer lots. The dealers by me all have 7 or more. Sadly not a single one is my exact build. They've all either got the Driver Assistance Plus (useless $1,700) or the spare tire option, which ruins the trunk space.

They can order one for you at the same discount level. All 6 of my BMWs have been custom ordered and I got the same overall discount regardless. Unless it is a leftover car or something like that you shouldn't see any difference in price.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:45 AM   #449
DonkSlimhammer
Rep
Drives: Deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Influence View Post
Seeing similar myself. There are a TON of these sitting on NJ dealer lots. The dealers by me all have 7 or more. Sadly not a single one is my exact build. They've all either got the Driver Assistance Plus (useless $1,700) or the spare tire option, which ruins the trunk space.

They can order one for you at the same discount level. All 6 of my BMWs have been custom ordered and I got the same overall discount regardless. Unless it is a leftover car or something like that you shouldn't see any difference in price.
Why do you say Drivers Asst+ is useless? I'm curious because I have a family and have been going back and forth on this having my kids in the car. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #450
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkSlimhammer View Post
Why do you say Drivers Asst+ is useless? I'm curious because I have a family and have been going back and forth on this having my kids in the car. Thanks!
It's not something I would normally order, but the car I got on the dealer lot had the option. Now that I have it, I am glad to have it for highway driving and traffic. However, I still dislike the aesthetics how it ruins the lower bottom grill, but it is what it is.
      01-16-2020, 12:01 PM   #451
DonkSlimhammer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
It's not something I would normally order, but the car I got on the dealer lot had the option. Now that I have it, I am glad to have it for highway driving and traffic. However, I still dislike the aesthetics how it ruins the lower bottom grill, but it is what it is.
I had ACC on my Q7 and enjoyed it and that tech saved my ass one time at 80mph, but I can't make up my mind about it on the X3 M...

What does it do aesthetically to the lower grille? Is it the small camera?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #452
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I guess as I won't really use it, I see it as useless. The active lane keep assist is annoying and I personally don't trust it. While it is slightly less agressive than the lane keep assist on the new X5/X7, I still don't like it.

I could possibly see myself using the traffic jam assist on rare occassions, but unless you spend a lot of time everyday in stop + go bumper to bumper traffic, do you really need/want this?

I also never get to use cruise control (NJ driver) so the ACC will never get used either.

So for me, it's $1,700 that won't get utilized, so I'd personally not get it if I had the choice.

Others may have more use for these features, so if you want it, get it. I am not a fan of anything that drives for me. I much prefer to do things myself. Blind spot monitors are a different thing for me. I find them very useful, but they come with the X3M as standard so I'm all good there.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2020, 12:34 PM   #453
DonkSlimhammer
Rep

Quote:
I guess as I won't really use it, I see it as useless. The active lane keep assist is annoying and I personally don't trust it. While it is slightly less agressive than the lane keep assist on the new X5/X7, I still don't like it.

I could possibly see myself using the traffic jam assist on rare occassions, but unless you spend a lot of time everyday in stop + go bumper to bumper traffic, do you really need/want this?

I also never get to use cruise control (NJ driver) so the ACC will never get used either.

So for me, it's $1,700 that won't get utilized, so I'd personally not get it if I had the choice.

Others may have more use for these features, so if you want it, get it. I am not a fan of anything that drives for me. I much prefer to do things myself. Blind spot monitors are a different thing for me. I find them very useful, but they come with the X3M as standard so I'm all good there.
Thanks, man... The collision mitigation is what I like most about it, I just have to decide if it's worth the extra $1700.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 12:57 PM   #454
Influence
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, man... The collision mitigation is what I like most about it, I just have to decide if it's worth the extra $1700.
I guess that could be of some benefit to all of us . . .

that being said, have there been any tests to see if that "feature" works properly? I know that on an X5 test drive I took, a large plastic bag (55 gallon trash can style) blew across the road and the car slammed on the brakes thinking it was a person/dog/car/etc. Ordinarily not a big deal but we were on Rt. 202 in Hunterdon county doing about 60 when it happened and there was a rather large truck not too far behind me. I had a real "oh crap" moment as I thought we were going to get slammed by a semi from behind.

Moments like this are why I really don't have too much faith in these technologies. I guess it could save you from an accident, but it could also kill you.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #455
robininni
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X535d (sold)

Quote:

that being said, have there been any tests to see if that "feature" works properly? I know that on an X5 test drive I took, a large plastic bag (55 gallon trash can style) blew across the road and the car slammed on the brakes thinking it was a person/dog/car/etc. Ordinarily not a big deal but we were on Rt. 202 in Hunterdon county doing about 60 when it happened and there was a rather large truck not too far behind me. I had a real "oh crap" moment as I thought we were going to get slammed by a semi from behind.

Moments like this are why I really don't have too much faith in these technologies. I guess it could save you from an accident, but it could also kill you.
Not to get too far off topic, but since it has been brought up, does the $1700 Drivers Assist package have the traffic jam driving? I didn't think it did. I thought it was just collision avoidance, lane keeping alert, and radar cruise control. Does the X3MC with this actually 'keep' you in the lane? Does it actually drive and steer in traffic jams like on the X5 and X7? Does it actually parallel and normal park your car like on the X5 and X7? Now I'm curious.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2020, 01:39 PM   #456
DonkSlimhammer
Rep

Quote:

Ha. Yeah. Ive had the same thing happen in my Q7 where it actually thought it saw something that didn't exist and slammed on the brakes. Thankfully I wasn't going fast.

I don't know if it's been tested. It's hard in the real world. Someone would have to post a dash cam video with the title "collision avoidance saved me", otherwise i think it's just people driving at 10-15 miles an hour at cardboard cutouts and that seems like cheating to me.

Your example is a great one because it shows that while you may have the latest tech, it's not gonna save you from a 2010 semi that's behind you with a tired driver. That's why when I hit the brakes I immediately check the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 1
knepsterd377.50
      01-16-2020, 04:21 PM   #457
new2the3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2the3 View Post
I had ACC on my Q7 and enjoyed it and that tech saved my ass one time at 80mph, but I can't make up my mind about it on the X3 M...

What does it do aesthetically to the lower grille? Is it the small camera?
No the small camera between the kidney grills is on all the cars. It's the large hockey puck looking plastic in the bottom of the lower grill.
      01-16-2020, 04:48 PM   #458
SRHinVA
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

Any experience/intel on mid-Atlantic pricing? Am going between VA/NC for an X3MC and floated the 12% off MSRP and the guy was baffled at how this could be possible.....there are 15+ of these things (comp and non-comp) across the dealerships regionally. This was my opening salvo, id settle for 10 based on what Ive read and just how many of these things are out there (109 within 200 miles) . Many on the lot for 90+ days. Sheesh.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #459
MandM3
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

I have an 11% off MSRP before incentives negotiated in SoCal if someone wants it LMK. X3M Comp.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:34 PM   #460
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Have a potential offer for an 11.5% off msrp before incentive X3M base with essentially no options (only 21" wheels). With MSD this could be below $700/mo lease hmm decisions...
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #461
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRHinVA View Post
Any experience/intel on mid-Atlantic pricing? Am going between VA/NC for an X3MC and floated the 12% off MSRP and the guy was baffled at how this could be possible.....there are 15+ of these things (comp and non-comp) across the dealerships regionally. This was my opening salvo, id settle for 10 based on what Ive read and just how many of these things are out there (109 within 200 miles) . Many on the lot for 90+ days. Sheesh.
I live in the DC area and 10% off before incentives is very doable (for inventory or factory order). It seems 12% is where they “barely make any money”, so anything you get 10%+ off is a good deal imo. If they laugh you off at 12, try 11.5 or just keep trying different dealers.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #462
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep

Anyone know what the current cost per mile overage for a lease is?
Appreciate 0