BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-02-2024, 06:37 PM   #1
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX3 Premier

No more preferably price for Ionoty

My ionity subscription runout at the end of January, noticed price increase in December to 40p/Kwh but what a suprice was as from 1st of February is 59p, when trying to renew.
No more economical to run than ICE equivalent plus road tax from 2025.
Seriously thinking of going back to old good diesel.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:22 PM   #2
JAV64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
My ionity subscription runout at the end of January, noticed price increase in December to 40p/Kwh but what a suprice was as from 1st of February is 59p, when trying to renew.
No more economical to run than ICE equivalent plus road tax from 2025.
To be honest even at 59p that's not bad going because Instavolt charge 85p and here in Sheffield the local ones operated by Frankling charge 72p. Most of them have had their cuts off and not repaired for months. You're right overall running EV's is not cheap when you compare the Insurance and the crash in values. Going to London there and back from Sheffield costs about £110 that for 360 miles. A diesal would be a lot cheaper. I share your sentiment. Look at the Macan, Porsche released last week. The cheapset one £70k. The 3.0V6 is £60k about 17% premium. Crazy
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      02-03-2024, 03:30 PM   #3
SpaceRock
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep, not economical at all. The only reason I still have this car is because I have a free charger in my building. I can’t imagine having to pay prices like the ionity or god forbid the other brands that are even more expensive and having to suffer with a low range car like this and long charging sessions. The ev bubble has definitely bursted for me and I’m looking at replacing the ix3 later this year
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      02-04-2024, 04:33 PM   #4
GaSelle
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ´23 iX3 M Sport Charged

Why are you focusing so much on what it costs to charge "on the go"? I charge 95% at home, and that is way cheaper than running a diesel. To me, it doesn´t make sense to own an EV, if you don´t have a charger at home.

That being said, situations vary between countries. "Over here" (DK), EV´s have the benefit of not being taxed as heavy as the fossils.

An iX3 costs £60.500 where a similar spec´ed X3 20d comes to around €106.000. And then there is the cheaper maintenance etc. on top.
EVGirl28.50
Rathian155.00
      02-04-2024, 04:58 PM   #5
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Cheap rates are only during night(I do have charger at home), I work night shifts and my work place hasn't got any chargers or anything nearby.
I do not have any tax benefits from it as my car is privately owned. From 2025 there will be road tax on ev's like on ice cars.
I have done over 50k miles in 2 years including holidays in europe.
Similar equipt x3 3.0d msport will cost roughly same as ix3 msport.
For me ev was half cost of travel but now it become more expensive than old good diesel or even petrol.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:56 AM   #6
Geordie EV
England
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3

The standard current cost per KW in the UK as per the price cap is around 26p, assuming you achieve around 3.5 mi/kwh that equates to 140mpg in an ICE car. Octopus EV is only 7p per KW through the night! EV's when charged at home are undeniably cheaper than fossil cars FACT, although I accept cost prices are eye watering when using public chargers.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 09:11 AM   #7
silent ninja
Private First Class
Rep

The 26p with Ionity is going. That's the point the OP is making.

Public charging is an expensive inconvenience and it's going to get worse before it gets better.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      02-05-2024, 12:31 PM   #8
EVGirl
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Mini SE EV, iX3 M Sport Pro

It's not only about saving money though is it. Think of all the kids sat in push chairs at tailpipe level that you are not poisoning!
We have now covered 6477 miles and only spent £213.57 on charging. That's circa 3.3p per mile.
We charge mostly at home, a few free hotel charges and a very few rapids on trips out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 01:32 PM   #9
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

For me it was convinient to charge at ionity going home from work, ~30 min, 2-3 time a week and still similar cost like charging at home.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 03:21 PM   #10
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

People always moan about the high cost of public charging, no mention of the fact the that public charging is likely less frequent than home/work where it’s free or very cheap. On balance, you should be better off with an EV still.

If you’re charging more at public, then consider membership schemes or maybe yes go back to ICE.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2024, 04:07 PM   #11
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

Yes, I will moan, it went from 26p to 59p in less than 3 months!
If diesel went in space of 3 months from current £1,5 to £3 every one would sit quiet and not say nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:27 AM   #12
Geordie EV
England
Rep

I can only see it getting worse to be honest, as more and more drivers make the switch to electric. Charging at home and work is a must for any EV owner. Car tax coming in to force from April 2025 as well! Still cheaper than an ICE car.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:29 AM   #13
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: iX3

I have done a comparison between the different packages. Apologies to non-UK residents.

Ionity Direct
  • No Contract
  • No monthly cost
  • £0.74 / kWh

Ionity Passport
  • One month rolling contract
  • £5.49 / month
  • £0.56 / kWh
  • Cheaper than Ionity Direct after 30.5kWh charging per month

BMW Charging Ionity Plus
  • One month rolling contract
  • £6.90 / month
  • £0.59 / kWh
  • Cheaper than Ionity Direct after 46kWh per month
  • Always more expensive than Ionity Passport

As you can see, it doesn't take many Ionity charges in a month to make the subscriptions cheaper. But the BMW package is now less competitive than Ionity's own package. And both packages can be bought a month at a time.
Appreciate 3
adam.b189.00
sahajesh2295.00
      02-06-2024, 04:37 AM   #14
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
Having experienced electric for two years now, there is no way I could go back. The sums would have to be silly to force me to change. The experience is just so much better. And ranges are improving all the time. I would expect my next car (in 2 years time) to have circa 300+ miles real world range, which would be more than enough for me in most circumstances.

I am in the advantageous position of having my iX3 as a company car. That saves me the running costs and a significant amount in company car tax annually (compared to an ICEV). But even without that benefit, a petrol vehicle (I would never do back to diesel) would have to be a lot cheaper to make me change!!
Appreciate 2
hollpe161.50
      02-06-2024, 08:11 AM   #15
Geordie EV
England
Rep

Thanks for the Ionity comparison GDE. Out of interest what other similar subscriptions exist? I have looked at BP Pulse but there is a severe lack of fast chargers around my neck of the woods!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 08:38 AM   #16
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

GDEvans very good comparison of ionity pricing, 👍
I do like ix3, kids prefer stops evry 2,5/3 h and it maks long jurneys more comfortable.
I do not mind extra planing when going somewhere.
Appreciate 1
      02-06-2024, 09:53 AM   #17
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I like Ionity as there are generally few queues, and their Chippenham one is about halfway to my parents' house. Plus the Chippenham Pitstop has pizzas to die for, cooked by a chef in whites in the kitchen! There is a reason it was named truck stop of the year in 2023.
Appreciate 1
adam.b189.00
      02-06-2024, 09:56 AM   #18
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geordie EV View Post
Thanks for the Ionity comparison GDE. Out of interest what other similar subscriptions exist? I have looked at BP Pulse but there is a severe lack of fast chargers around my neck of the woods!
You don't need fast chargers near you. You need them halfway to your common long distance destinations!!
Appreciate 3
adam.b189.00
sahajesh2295.00
      02-07-2024, 01:43 AM   #19
Imspartacus123
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX3 MSport Pro

As others have said in the past, I believe an EV only works if you can charge at home on a cheap tariff, if you have to pay too prices whilst out and about then you may as well be in an oil burner. I’m very lucky in that I have off street parking and on a cheap overnight tariff plus I can charge at my office free of charge. So far I have only charged whilst out and about a dozen times and each time these were free charges so didn’t cost me a penny, I’m finding this brilliant car almost zero to run currently and hope it continues 👍
      02-07-2024, 03:13 PM   #20
Mogwai888
Private First Class
Rep

Unfortunately seems to be a sign of the times, as the financial benefits of EVs become smaller compared to normal cars. Will be interesting to see what the government will do as making EVs less attractive vs the push for greater EVs seems to conflict.

Personally I think it still depends on how you fund your vehicle and the overall cost to run, not just for fueling / charging…..

As others have said, EVs largely work within the majority of my journeys, but improved efficiency and range would be welcome. From a driving proposition not sure I could go back to fossil fuelled car either, the IX3 (and other EVs) are just effortless to drive.

OP, my subscription to Ionity via BMW charging has expired last month, but the BP Pulse one didn’t automatically cancel so unless you want that you have to cancel the contract.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2024, 04:29 PM   #21
adam.b
Lieutenant
Rep

I have canceled bp after first free year, not much use of it.
Will see what this year will unfold on ev world, so far does not look promising.
I have always option buing second ev, going on cheap night ev tariff and having one charged when I'm at work, daft idea i know.
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2024, 03:56 AM   #22
GDEvans
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai888 View Post
OP, my subscription to Ionity via BMW charging has expired last month
I was on the one year Ionity subscription. I had assumed it would roll on for a second year, or at least I would be notified. But no. While I was away from home at Christmas, my subscription expired. So when I drove home and stopped to charge, I was hit with the full price at the Ionity chargers. A little annoyed with BMW Charging that they don't send out a reminder. Something to be aware of for those still on the year subscription.
Appreciate 1