BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-28-2011, 04:16 AM   #1
EaglesFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series E90

UK dealer discounts

I appreciate this has been covered in previous threads, but the UK practice on X3 dealer discounts is continually changing so I'm looking for an update on peoples' experiences.

Wife has test driven the X3 and was very interested. However, the message from two separate dealers is that no discount is possible at all, even when pressed. The second one mentioned that this was effectively a central edict from BMW UK (although don't know how true this is) due to the high demand.

Has anyone any recent knowledge on what is being offered (or not) by UK dealers?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

I bought one, around a 3 weeks ago, spec as below but now with Pro Sat Nav. Got just under a 1K off, but it was really hard work. Just say your willing to lay down a deposit now, if they give you X off. There are dealers out there that will give you something.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 04:55 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

+1 on Pugger's comments, be ready to put the deposit down and sign there and then if they'll knock off £x. If you ask before you're at that stage, they'll always say no. If they bluntly refuse even at that stage, you'll have to walk away and try the same again at another dealer.

What was the expected delivery time?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
EaglesFan
Registered
Rep
Drives: 3 series E90

Was quoted September or October for first dealer (which actually sounds quite good) and November by second. How realistic these are is another matter.

From your comments, sounds like some form of discount (although probably small) should be on offer but likely to be a lot of work to get it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:27 AM   #5
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

What car? claims that Motorlogix (spelling) is offering 2k off the new X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #6
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
What car? claims that Motorlogix (spelling) is offering 2k off the new X3.
They are and you get good discounts off the packages. Problem is waiting times are horrendous.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 08:54 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

http://www.buyacar.co.uk advertise 7% off list price for custom build F25 X3s saving £2-3k but you are the 2nd registered keeper (the dealer is the first). I would imagine the wait time is longer as well.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D SE xDrive (Sep 11)

£2.25K off my list price. I told the dealer what I was prepared to pay by email after I had made up my mind on spec and ready to hand over a card number. That's the only way, as per the comments above. You must be ready to commit but also know what you want to pay. I did try about 6 dealers, some said no, some offer a bit, but I got my deal done with one phone call in 5 minutes. note, I did not buy from my nearest dealer.

I dont expect to get bumped up the waiting list though, others at list price will probably get that benefit from cancelations from those who give up the wait.

You also need to know that BMW can increase the price at any time and you have to pay, or cancel the order and buy a Q5. The risk of this is greater the longer the wait for production. I am not sure at what point it becomes too late for BMW to increase the price in the waiting cycle though.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank531 View Post
£2.25K off my list price. I told the dealer what I was prepared to pay by email after I had made up my mind on spec and ready to hand over a card number. That's the only way, as per the comments above. You must be ready to commit but also know what you want to pay. I did try about 6 dealers, some said no, some offer a bit, but I got my deal done with one phone call in 5 minutes. note, I did not buy from my nearest dealer.

I dont expect to get bumped up the waiting list though, others at list price will probably get that benefit from cancelations from those who give up the wait.

You also need to know that BMW can increase the price at any time and you have to pay, or cancel the order and buy a Q5. The risk of this is greater the longer the wait for production. I am not sure at what point it becomes too late for BMW to increase the price in the waiting cycle though.
Well played This is exactly the way to do it, it's also possible to play dealers off against each other.

I understand that the price can be changed up until the car goes into production and no later. Though this must be on the small print in the contract. Price changes are usually due to cost of raw materials changing.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

That is a good effort indeed. Does that include the £300 paint protection and the £300 service? I'm never sure whether anyone actually "pays" for these or whether, if you refused both, you would get £600 off the quoted price. They were just added to my order without me asking as a sweetener and make my discount look better

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

I delcined the paint protection and added the std liquid serivces only to my spec. I have yet to be 'sold' anymore 'dealer upgrades' but will decline all of them. I would'nt mind members adivsing what price insurance is paid, I looked on BMW.co.uk for two dirver and was pleasently surprised at (from memory) about £500. Maybe I missed a vital checkbox for something.........
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Insurance varies wildly so it's impossible to compare meaningfully. I went with LV for about £475 but could have had £430 with higher excess. Certainly a bit less than the GTI 2.0T it replaced . My BMW quote was about £600. LV (like many others) will pay price paid rather than market value if car is stolen or written off. Make sure you always get that on a new car policy.

Great effort on the discount BTW. I got about 5.5% but 2.5% of that was holding VAT. I think I could have pushed for more if I was better at negotiating but only having to wait less than 4 months was definitely a big plus looking at wait times now

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #13
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

Sfax. I did'nt have the budget for your spec. and you are certainly riding the exclusivity value of placing an early order with most ofthers waiting and waiting
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Sfax. I did'nt have the budget for your spec. and you are certainly riding the exclusivity value of placing an early order with most ofthers waiting and waiting
Nor did I!! My initial order had no pro nav or sunroof. I got carried away.

You spent less and had no VAT negotiation and still got a discount that big making it all the more impressive.

Me ordering early was more luck than design (Audi no show on a Q5 test drive and BMW dealership nearby). I hope BMW can expedite production and bring that wait time down for the rest of the world

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:56 AM   #15
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Learning from this forum, makes you want to add spec all the time. Or wish i had added this or this

Quote:
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:36 PM   #16
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

AJ You might as well max out the options list, looks like you don't have many to go. I am told if you tick all option boxes you unlock a unique free extra. But no one knows what it is due to the waiting time.....
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 02:43 PM   #17
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Quote:
AJ You might as well max out the options list, looks like you don't have many to go. I am told if you tick all option boxes you unlock a unique free extra. But no one knows what it is due to the waiting time.....
No room left in his signature for any more options

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #18
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

I did ask my dealers used car manager what spec. is best for resale. He said most people ask for light colour metalic, bluetooth, heated seats, auto, leather (std of course), DAB and folding mirrors. I did add DAB and heated seats based on this. Sat nav and its high cost is very desirbale but he said only consider it essential on 3.0L models or higher. I have never had a car with folding mirrors, I don't see any value myself but probably just tight.

As per other comments here its easy to read about all the nice to have extras and then increase your order value. Perhaps there are some BMW staff who drop messages to subtley encourage members to beef up the spec.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:08 AM   #19
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Tried that one with the dealer, could only manage a discount. Wished there was more room in my signature to add 19" alloys and H.U.D. To late now me thinks. Will possibly look at buying the alloys next year.

Quote:
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #20
tank531
Deckhand
United Kingdom
Rep

AJ - I looked online at official BMW wheel options as a future purchase. I found a couple of sites claiming to sell official BMW wheels but the price was as high as BMW GmbH. I thought that I could p-ex the std wheels on the day of collection i.e. in 'as new' condition and get a reasonable deal but I could not find anything.

The cheapest way to 19" ers is spec. an M Sport then upgrade the std 18", as the price diff is not to bad (in relative) terms
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #21
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

I have been advised not to change my spec now as it could lead to a couple of months delay in delivery. I used cotswold BMW for spares receiving a good discount, hopefully they will give us a good price for the alloys. If not a set might appear on Ebay at some point.

Quote:
AJ - I looked online at official BMW wheel options as a future purchase. I found a couple of sites claiming to sell official BMW wheels but the price was as high as BMW GmbH. I thought that I could p-ex the std wheels on the day of collection i.e. in 'as new' condition and get a reasonable deal but I could not find anything.

The cheapest way to 19" ers is spec. an M Sport then upgrade the std 18", as the price diff is not to bad (in relative) terms
Appreciate 0