BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2024, 10:47 AM   #1
turbosig
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

For X3M v. X3M40 Owners - Suspension Overblown

Lease on the 335xi is currently up in 4 months.

I will be spec-ing out and ordering (first time doing so) either a 2024 X3M (non-comp) or X3M40. I keep seeing YouTube vids about concern on the M's suspension being too harsh for Daily Driving. Read the same on reviews online too (Car & Driver, etc).

Caveat: I own a 2004 E46 M3 (garage queen) convertible on the stock 19"s - so "harsh drive" is relative to me as I am used to the way it feels and handles. I can't wrap my head around any 2024 X3 M having "harsher" suspension than my 20 yr old M3. LOL

Caveat: I live in S. NJ so winters are mild, roads are so-so. My everyday driver is a '18 Volvo XC90 AWD with 22" rims and the suspension on that Volvo is fine not Mercedes level but not harsh either. I drive maybe less than 10 miles a day as a commute. I value performance over comfort....but not to the level of driving on bone-rattling springs/dampers. I'm too old for that now (43) and my lowering car days are over. lol

Do you current owners of X3 M or M40i's have an opinion one way or the other. I was thinking that if the M is that harsh, I would just stick with the stock 20"s to give myself extra rubber, but if its not, then just get the Non-RFT 21" non-comp wheels. Normally I would test drive, but since the M's are difficult to find at any dealer near me, test driving and comparing is out of the question.

Thanks ahead of time!
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:57 AM   #2
omniphil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: me crazy, Woo Hoo

I think it will depend on the condition of the roads you usually travel on and if you have rear passengers.

I am in NH and the roads are pretty nice up here. If I was driving in Boston everyday I would certainly get tossed around quite a bit. The suspension is stiffer than most cars but I don't find it stiff to the point of being uncomfortable at all.

The thing that bothers me about the X3M is the factory alignment, it makes it pretty impossible to keep the vehicle going straight on the highway, constant steering corrections are need and the steering feel in this vehicle is fairly terrible. I'll have to see what I can do to get the steering more normal.

You will be wondering why it wanders all over the road all the time that you won't have time to think about the suspension
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:00 AM   #3
Th3Walrus
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC Alpine White/Sahkir

It's highly overblown.

I have a 2020 X3M Comp, and I have two sets of 21" 765M wheels, 1 for winter with Michelin X-Ice non-RFT, and 1 for summer with MPS4S.

I'm in Southern Ontario, and our winter has been non-existent with snow and cold for 2-3 days then warm melting days, and it's been really bad on the roads. Ride is fine/how I like it, and I'm 6 years older.

My wife has no complaints about the ride, and I just drove a 2 hour round trip into Toronto with a friend on the weekend, and he liked how it rode.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:05 AM   #4
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

It is firm, no doubt, but I guess that has to happen if you want a higher CoG to handle. What bothers me more than the actual ride is sometimes it can get swaying side to side a bit on uneven roads. I have a Comp so it may be worse because I believe the sway bars are a little thicker than non-Comp.

I believe almost for sure that all the reviews had the tire pressures at the higher >100 mph spec because they knew they would be hammering on the vehicles. In the lower <100 mph spec I would imagine it's a pretty big difference. I've never tried the higher spec.
Appreciate 2
DBU232.50
      03-25-2024, 11:13 AM   #5
WBimmer
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3M Competition

I have a 2023 X3MC and I do not have any complaints about the ride or suspension. To me it feels firm and controlled, stays flat in the corners and rides very well given it's design and what it is intended to do.

I've had M cars for twenty years now and this is on par with those I've owned and the harshest suspension I've had from BMW was my 2004 E46 330CI with ZHP package, which would bounce you off the seat going over compressions in the road. Also my wife's 2004 X3 (non M) was worse than my current X3MC.

I think this comes down to personal preference and if you've come from previous M cars, then it's exactly as you'd expect and from the brand and nothing better or worse than previous versions.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:17 AM   #6
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omniphil View Post
I think it will depend on the condition of the roads you usually travel on and if you have rear passengers.

I am in NH and the roads are pretty nice up here. If I was driving in Boston everyday I would certainly get tossed around quite a bit. The suspension is stiffer than most cars but I don't find it stiff to the point of being uncomfortable at all.

The thing that bothers me about the X3M is the factory alignment, it makes it pretty impossible to keep the vehicle going straight on the highway, constant steering corrections are need and the steering feel in this vehicle is fairly terrible. I'll have to see what I can do to get the steering more normal.

You will be wondering why it wanders all over the road all the time that you won't have time to think about the suspension
Thank you for that input. Totally understand what you mean driving in Boston, as those roads are very uneven and pot-holed. Your initial feedback is what I was leaning towards...firm and controlled but not bone-jarring on normal roads.

Never knew that about the steering...must be way the setup with camber/toe for the M adaptive suspension. Good to know! Let me know what the fix is.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:19 AM   #7
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Walrus View Post
It's highly overblown.

I have a 2020 X3M Comp, and I have two sets of 21" 765M wheels, 1 for winter with Michelin X-Ice non-RFT, and 1 for summer with MPS4S.

I'm in Southern Ontario, and our winter has been non-existent with snow and cold for 2-3 days then warm melting days, and it's been really bad on the roads. Ride is fine/how I like it, and I'm 6 years older.

My wife has no complaints about the ride, and I just drove a 2 hour round trip into Toronto with a friend on the weekend, and he liked how it rode.
Perfect explanation and what I thought about non - BMW owner's reviewing cars. The long distance wife factor is also in play, though we drive maybe 2hrs at most to Manhattan and back...and if we did that, I'm taking the Volvo to get beat up on Manhattan roads LOL.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:21 AM   #8
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatohead-M2 View Post
It is firm, no doubt, but I guess that has to happen if you want a higher CoG to handle. What bothers me more than the actual ride is sometimes it can get swaying side to side a bit on uneven roads. I have a Comp so it may be worse because I believe the sway bars are a little thicker than non-Comp.

I believe almost for sure that all the reviews had the tire pressures at the higher >100 mph spec because they knew they would be hammering on the vehicles. In the lower <100 mph spec I would imagine it's a pretty big difference. I've never tried the higher spec.
Thank you for the input. I also head about the sway bars issue too is some reviews....looks like this swaying/swerving thing is an issue. You're the second poster mentioning it. They should make a SB for it at the BMW dealership...
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:25 AM   #9
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosig View Post
Thank you for the input. I also head about the sway bars issue too is some reviews....looks like this swaying/swerving thing is an issue. You're the second poster mentioning it. They should make a SB for it at the BMW dealership...
To be clear the swaying I am mentioning is not the tracking, it's just the vehicle itself bouncing side to side on the suspension a bit. I don't find any tracking issues with this vehicle at all other than typical tramlining from ruts in the road.
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 11:41 AM   #10
14Down
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i, X3 M40i, M Roadster

The decision whether to go X3M or X3 M40i is a personal one that should be driven by how you will use the car. I have had a few "true" M cars over the years (last one being an E93 M3 6 speed; still have a 2006 M Roadster). The performance of the M lite cars has improved significantly and is higher than many of the vaunted M cars. My last three leases (always lease first and then buy at end of lease if the car is good), have been a '20 X3 M40i, a '22 M340i and a '24 X3 M40i. I considered X3 Ms and M3s all three of those times. The B58 engine provides incredible performance, close to the full M cars. Three or four tenths of a second to 60 mph, the harsher ride and significantly lower mpg of the full Ms are not worth it to me as I am not racing the cars anymore. Plus living in Florida I usually only get to canyon carve when I go out of State (though I have taken all of the referenced cars around Sebring racetrack during some "parade laps" at lunchtime on race days and have enjoyed every minute of them at fairly sporty speeds keeping up with 911s and M3s under those conditions). My son now has the '20 X3 M40i and with some minor mods is doing 3.38 secs to 60 mph while spinning all tires to about 20 mph. The X3M does sound great and is fast but carries a large premium to the M40i. Only you can decide whether that is worth it to you. Drive them both and think about it.
Good luck.
Appreciate 2
mathys202.50
      03-25-2024, 11:46 AM   #11
95wildtt
Need mo $$s
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosig View Post
Lease on the 335xi is currently up in 4 months.

I will be spec-ing out and ordering (first time doing so) either a 2024 X3M (non-comp) or X3M40. I keep seeing YouTube vids about concern on the M's suspension being too harsh for Daily Driving. Read the same on reviews online too (Car & Driver, etc).

Caveat: I own a 2004 E46 M3 (garage queen) convertible on the stock 19"s - so "harsh drive" is relative to me as I am used to the way it feels and handles. I can't wrap my head around any 2024 X3 M having "harsher" suspension than my 20 yr old M3. LOL

Caveat: I live in S. NJ so winters are mild, roads are so-so. My everyday driver is a '18 Volvo XC90 AWD with 22" rims and the suspension on that Volvo is fine not Mercedes level but not harsh either. I drive maybe less than 10 miles a day as a commute. I value performance over comfort....but not to the level of driving on bone-rattling springs/dampers. I'm too old for that now (43) and my lowering car days are over. lol

Do you current owners of X3 M or M40i's have an opinion one way or the other. I was thinking that if the M is that harsh, I would just stick with the stock 20"s to give myself extra rubber, but if its not, then just get the Non-RFT 21" non-comp wheels. Normally I would test drive, but since the M's are difficult to find at any dealer near me, test driving and comparing is out of the question.

Thanks ahead of time!
I have a 2020 X4MC, ride is performance oriented, as an M vehicle should be.
I use 20" wheels in the winter and 21" in the summer... some difference, but not a lot.

Also had a 2020 X3M, and not much of a difference really, maybe a bit more "feedback" from the C...

FWIW, my wife has a 2020 Macan, and the ride really isn't that much different.
Past: 2020 X3M, 2019 TTS, 2008 X5 4.8 M Sport

Last edited by 95wildtt; 03-25-2024 at 11:51 AM..
Appreciate 1
      03-25-2024, 12:02 PM   #12
M3Pilot09
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I am on my 3rd X3MC and have owned several other M cars. I do not find the harshness to be annoying or anything I even think about. However, it does feel a bit harsher when I drive the X3MC after getting out of my daily XM with 23’s.

You have an E46, you will have no problem and will love your X3M. Those who complain would be better suited going the Lexus RX350 route 😂😂😂
Appreciate 4
      03-25-2024, 12:09 PM   #13
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep
Drives: nothing fast

My LCI X3MC was my daily,the ride is firm but not unbearable at all. My spine is fused in a few different locations and I never had any issues once I got the seat settings correct. No issues on long drives. Roads are smooth down here in SC(former NY'er)so I can't comment about ride quality over typical Tri-State area pot-hole riddled roads. YMMV

Tires play a role too;OEM were Conti's and when I replaced w Michelin PS4S the ride quality was much nicer. Tire psi also has a significant impact as mentioned above.

My wife however has a different opinion. She complained from day 1 the ride was too firm and harsh.

Took delivery of '24 X5MC over the weekend,she approves of the ride quality in that and said it's 100% better than the X3MC.
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 5
95wildtt832.50
joebie3298.50
mathys202.50
      03-25-2024, 12:14 PM   #14
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBimmer View Post
I have a 2023 X3MC and I do not have any complaints about the ride or suspension. To me it feels firm and controlled, stays flat in the corners and rides very well given it's design and what it is intended to do.

I've had M cars for twenty years now and this is on par with those I've owned and the harshest suspension I've had from BMW was my 2004 E46 330CI with ZHP package, which would bounce you off the seat going over compressions in the road. Also my wife's 2004 X3 (non M) was worse than my current X3MC.

I think this comes down to personal preference and if you've come from previous M cars, then it's exactly as you'd expect and from the brand and nothing better or worse than previous versions.
Your experience in the E46's I totally understand LOL. Thanks for your input! I agree, I expect a certain level of firmness from the M chases which I am already used too.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:15 PM   #15
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wildtt View Post
I have a 2020 X4MC, ride is performance oriented, as an M vehicle should be.
I use 20" wheels in the winter and 21" in the summer... some difference, but not a lot.

Also had a 2020 X3M, and not much of a difference really, maybe a bit more "feedback" from the C...

FWIW, my wife has a 2020 Macan, and the ride really isn't that much different.
I thought about the Macan too. I think the X3M was just a tad better value, but that's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:21 PM   #16
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Down View Post
The decision whether to go X3M or X3 M40i is a personal one that should be driven by how you will use the car. I have had a few "true" M cars over the years (last one being an E93 M3 6 speed; still have a 2006 M Roadster). The performance of the M lite cars has improved significantly and is higher than many of the vaunted M cars. My last three leases (always lease first and then buy at end of lease if the car is good), have been a '20 X3 M40i, a '22 M340i and a '24 X3 M40i. I considered X3 Ms and M3s all three of those times. The B58 engine provides incredible performance, close to the full M cars. Three or four tenths of a second to 60 mph, the harsher ride and significantly lower mpg of the full Ms are not worth it to me as I am not racing the cars anymore. Plus living in Florida I usually only get to canyon carve when I go out of State (though I have taken all of the referenced cars around Sebring racetrack during some "parade laps" at lunchtime on race days and have enjoyed every minute of them at fairly sporty speeds keeping up with 911s and M3s under those conditions). My son now has the '20 X3 M40i and with some minor mods is doing 3.38 secs to 60 mph while spinning all tires to about 20 mph. The X3M does sound great and is fast but carries a large premium to the M40i. Only you can decide whether that is worth it to you. Drive them both and think about it.
Good luck.
Thanks for the insight. I wish I could test drive the X3M however they are almost never on the lot for me to test drive, just M40's. Heard great things about the M40's and one draw is the MPG and the wonderful sound and pull of the B58's.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:30 PM   #17
turbosig
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgixxer View Post
My LCI X3MC was my daily,the ride is firm but not unbearable at all. My spine is fused in a few different locations and I never had any issues once I got the seat settings correct. No issues on long drives. Roads are smooth down here in SC(former NY'er)so I can't comment about ride quality over typical Tri-State area pot-hole riddled roads. YMMV

Tires play a role too;OEM were Conti's and when I replaced w Michelin PS4S the ride quality was much nicer. Tire psi also has a significant impact as mentioned above.

My wife however has a different opinion. She complained from day 1 the ride was too firm and harsh.

Took delivery of '24 X5MC over the weekend,she approves of the ride quality in that and said it's 100% better than the X3MC.
LOL wife's feedback is important too. I asked my wife if she would care and she's like you're driving it, doesn't matter to me. Makes sense that the X5M would "feel" nicer as it is a heavier car and most likely more bolstered seats.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 12:39 PM   #18
Potatohead-M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

X5M had better ride better, it's like 50% more expensive.

B58 is a good engine, S58 is bonkers. My opinion may not be popular but on the street this thing is almost too fast
Appreciate 3
Th3Walrus340.50
Oldgixxer1914.00
DBU232.50
      03-25-2024, 01:15 PM   #19
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:

Hey , glad to hear from you and glad you’re feeling better 👍🏼. X5MC , must be sweet , show us a picture of it would love to see it ! Good luck with your new ride and again, happy you’re back in business
Edit: looked back and saw the X5MC , she’s a beaut . Beautiful color. Again good luck with the car and your health.
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 1
Oldgixxer1914.00
      03-25-2024, 02:15 PM   #20
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3rd Time Is a Charm View Post
Hey , glad to hear from you and glad you’re feeling better 👍🏼. X5MC , must be sweet , show us a picture of it would love to see it ! Good luck with your new ride and again, happy you’re back in business
Edit: looked back and saw the X5MC , she’s a beaut . Beautiful color. Again good luck with the car and your health.
Hey brother,thank you very much for the kind words and support The 5 is my I kicked cancers ass present from my wife...love that woman!

Still getting used to the X5MC,it's been a few months since I've been behind the wheel of anything so I'm just taking it slow and getting acclimated. iDrive 8 has me overwhelmed as I'm not very tech-savvy. The 5 feels much bigger on the road than the X3 but it's so smooth going down the road
-'22 X3MC,'20 M550i,'18 X2,F30 328xi,'07 E63 AMG (1st W211 63 in the 11s),997 C4S Cab,CLS55 AMG,E55 AMG,C55AMG
Appreciate 5
      03-25-2024, 02:26 PM   #21
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey brother,thank you very much for the kind words and support The 5 is my I kicked cancers ass present from my wife...love that woman!

Still getting used to the X5MC,it's been a few months since I've been behind the wheel of anything so I'm just taking it slow and getting acclimated. iDrive 8 has me overwhelmed as I'm not very tech-savvy. The 5 feels much bigger on the road than the X3 but it's so smooth going down the road
Good for you Bro ! I bet that X5MC can keep you pinned to your seat ! You are a lucky man to have a woman in your life that loves you that Much. 🙏🏼
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 02:31 PM   #22
Oldgixxer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3rd Time Is a Charm View Post
Good for you Bro ! I bet that X5MC can keep you pinned to your seat ! You are a lucky man to have a woman in your life that loves you that Much. 🙏🏼
It definitely needs a tune lol

Yes,she is awesome...an absolute keeper. Thanks again for the kind words,it means a lot
Appreciate 4