BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-21-2023, 07:48 AM   #23
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i LCI

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSV4 View Post
Link is not working, do you recall the name of the shop?
Strange, link works fine for me. Seller is CF Car Store

Just in case this link works
CF Car Store
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mKtbU2u
2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 11:33 AM   #24
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3MC

Garage List
Shaun170 your link works for me.

When I ordered the carbon center console from eBay I noticed the same seller offered the side vent trim full replacements just like those on Ali. They should be arriving in a couple of weeks and I’ll share the results of those.

Today I’ve also ordered a Carbon side skirts and replacement grill from RW Carbon with their holiday sale going on.

They have good customer service, communication and fast shipping for available products. I’m very happy with their products so far. I had a few questions regarding their Carbon grills as they offer more than one version. I’m glad I reached out to clarify. Their grill surrounds are an add on not a replacement. They also offer a full replacement grill, slats and all which is the one I went with. Only bummer is grill is out of stock and was told I’m on the list to get this come February timeframe.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2023, 01:05 PM   #25
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I know a lot of people have shared this mod already but my center console arrived today! Can’t believe I contimplated not doing this. Purchased on eBay and quality and fitment to me was perfect. Only gripe is that the x3m emblem didn’t “snap” back into place perfectly. In other words the emblem fit a little loose would be how I would explain. Otherwise perfection and a good match to stock.

I ordered side vent trim in carbon from the same vendor and hoping quality is the same…should arrive in a week or so.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Shaun1701073.50
oreoOozZz126.00
      12-30-2023, 07:34 PM   #26
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I received the eBay version of the carbon side vent trim today. These came from the same vendor as the center console (runnstar) and were similar quality. Overall I’m much happier with these than the press on overlay boomerangs I originally received from autotecknic.

Quick install guide/tips:

I used a heat gun to warm up the trim edge where 3m tape is used. This is the edge closest to the rear of the car. Then used a trim tool (Amazon) to gently pry the 3m tape and trim away from the car top to bottom. Once the tape was release just used my hands to pull up and and toward the rear of the car and they popped right out.

You’ll need to clean up the residual 3m tape stuck to the fender before installing the new ones. I used the heat gun again on the new 3m tape that came pre installed on the new trim to ensure it stuck well. Popped the new trim back in and done. It’s a quick and easy job. Takes the most time getting the 3m tape off the fender prior to installing new trim.

One good thing about these is that they came with “x3m” emblems already and they are a good match to stock as well so I didn’t have to mess with removing the stock emblems. You can ask the seller to provide x3m or x4m versions.

**if you use a heat gun just be very careful not to get it too hot and melt anything or mess up your paint. You could also use a hair dryer but just use common sense not to get things too hot!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Shaun1701073.50
luckylingy3233.50
      01-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #27
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Debated if I wanted to tackle the steering wheel trim and paddles. Decided to go for it so the search for the right trim piece began.

I don’t like the smaller carbon pattern of the m performance version because it doesn’t match the rest of the interior. So that one was out. That leaves aftermarket…

I’ve been happy with the eBay vendor “runnstar” and their products…they are the same vendor everyone has been buying the center console from. Anyways, they only offered the gxx (m2,3,4) version in their store so I messaged them and sent a photo of my wheel. They are going to send an fxx (x3m) version. Should arrive in a few weeks.

For paddles I’m probably going to go with JQwerks magnetic!

For reference here is the link to the eBay trim but again they said they would sent the proper version for x3m!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394981358141
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 09:25 PM   #28
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Received my second RW Carbon order that included a full replacement grill (no emblem) as well as side skirts! As with the other items ordered from here they look great and were packaged very well.

Might install this weekend but it’s going to be freezing so we’ll see may wait for a warmer day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
thestimp975.00
      01-12-2024, 05:45 PM   #29
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Stockpiling carbon parts at the moment lol

Paddles and seatbacks arrived…still waiting on the steering wheel trim. Now it needs to warm up!
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Shaun1701073.50
      01-19-2024, 01:31 PM   #30
crisx718
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3MC

Did you get to install the Carbon seat back covers?!? Wanted to do the same lol. And do you have the link?!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2024, 02:51 PM   #31
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisx718 View Post
Did you get to install the Carbon seat back covers?!? Wanted to do the same lol. And do you have the link?!
Not yet, it’s been freezing here in the Midwest so waiting for a warmer day. I might bite the bullet and at least get those installed.

I ultimately received the carbon seatbacks from this store:
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...660e39c216dcbc

I ordered them originally from this next link but seller refunded me because package was “lost” and I never received. Not their fault but this store was recommended by many others on the forum.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...660e39c216dcbc
Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 03:43 PM   #32
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Aliexpress Carbon seat backs…fit pretty well, these were as expected. No complaints…I could take or leave these since I’ll never really see them.

I chose to use 3m automotive tape instead of the stuff provided.

I did use a heat gun to warm up the seats and the tape to ensure a good stick.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-21-2024, 04:22 PM   #33
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Also installed RW Carbon full replacement carbon grill. I’m extremely happy with this piece as I have been with anything from RW.

Install is straight forward just releasing the clips and pulling the grill off. Then pressing the new grill into place. I used a pry tool to help in releasing the clips which worked well.

My only gripe about the fitment is the the top outer most clips both left and right didn’t snap into place. I broke one clip on the new grill trying to force it to “snap” into place. The grill isn’t going anywhere but would have been nice if those clipped in easily. Perfect other than this.

I think it compliments the lip really well!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
      01-28-2024, 08:57 PM   #34
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
This weekend I installed both the carbon steering wheel trim and magnetic shift paddles. I’m very happy with the look and glad I decided to do it. Not thrilled about the holes in the steering wheel to access the airbag but I have some ideas for a solution to this. If it works I’ll share when I have some time.

Update: my idea for the holes in the steering wheel was successful for less than $2! Solution is here:
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=30892718

Steering wheel trim is from eBay, seller name runnstar. They only offer a f8x version on eBay but message them and tell them you have f97 and they’ll send you the right one. This is the same seller the center console trim comes from.

Magnetic shift paddles came from Amazon. I found the seller/store on aliexpress as well same price. I received them 3 days after ordering!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      01-28-2024, 10:47 PM   #35
pmark837
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Comp, Audi S5 Coupe

Garage List
just curious, the RW front lip, is it open on the bottom or is it closed up with more carbon? the lip on my Audi from AWE is closed so it's like hollow inside but a carbon shell outside for the lip.... i'm worried about the open ones because they may not be as strong when driving in stuff like ice and snow. i've used my AWE lip like a snow plow for my driveway and it's perfectly fine LOL.
2013 Audi S5 Coupe - Misano Red
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 11:52 PM   #36
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmark837 View Post
just curious, the RW front lip, is it open on the bottom or is it closed up with more carbon? the lip on my Audi from AWE is closed so it's like hollow inside but a carbon shell outside for the lip.... i'm worried about the open ones because they may not be as strong when driving in stuff like ice and snow. i've used my AWE lip like a snow plow for my driveway and it's perfectly fine LOL.
It’s not closed…hard to explain but the leading edge that rounds is just the shape of a J if that makes sense. The leading edge is just rounded with about 1 inch of carbon. It bolts flush to the car minus this rounded edge. Hopefully that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 07:47 PM   #37
pmark837
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Comp, Audi S5 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttx3m View Post
It’s not closed…hard to explain but the leading edge that rounds is just the shape of a J if that makes sense. The leading edge is just rounded with about 1 inch of carbon. It bolts flush to the car minus this rounded edge. Hopefully that makes sense.
yea that does, thanks!. how do you feel about it's structure? do you think it would be strong enough to drive through winter conditions without risking cracking it?
2013 Audi S5 Coupe - Misano Red
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:23 PM   #38
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmark837 View Post
yea that does, thanks!. how do you feel about it's structure? do you think it would be strong enough to drive through winter conditions without risking cracking it?
Once it’s attached to the car I have no concern with structure or sturdiness. I’m not sure how bad your winter conditions get but I wouldn’t stress driving through a few inches of snow. Maybe wouldn’t want to risk it in feet of snow 😂

I’m not lowered so there is plenty of clearance and the lip hardly sits much lower than the bumper itself…maybe an inch? I suppose what sticks out on the front of the car could act a bit like a snow plow!

I snapped a couple of underneath photos…
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Cmond137.50
      02-03-2024, 10:01 PM   #39
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Today I was able to install the last part I had waiting which was the RW Carbon side skirts.

I can’t say enough about their stuff. These fit absolutely perfect and they look amazing.

For install I used 3m tape in a few spots along the underside of the body which helped hold these in position while I installed the screws provided. You do have to drill your own holes. To do this as I did with the front lip I used a little hand drill that I have…it’s a little tedious but worked really well. I did not jack up the car.

So i did notice right behind the front wheels on both sides that the rockers have been sand blasted with rocks. So now I’m searching for front rock guards/mud flaps…hopefully something that isn’t very noticeable. Otherwise I fear the carbon skirts are going to get wrecked.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 03:02 AM   #40
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
You need these then.

https://automotivepassion.net/produc...ards-mudflaps/

https://automotivepassion.net/produc...lugs-10-plugs/

I put an extra rivet in each front just below the top fixing point so it sits better in the arch without a gap.
Attached Images

2022 X3 M40i LCI. Brooklyn Grey Metallic. Driving Assistant Professional. Black with Blue Stitching Vernasca Leather M Seats. Comfort Pack. Pano Roof. Carbon Fibre Interior Trim, inc. seat backs. 21” 718 Alloys. Blue M Sport Callipers. Anniversary badges. Floating centre caps. Performance flow through rear spoiler. Front splitter. Carbon mirror caps. OEM carbon steering wheel trim. G80 carbon paddle shifters.
Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 10:30 AM   #41
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
shaun19877 thanks for sharing! These are exactly what I was looking for. My searching keywords must have been poor as I wasn’t coming across these and everything popping up that looked decent was for the rear.

I’ve went ahead and ordered a set…only downside is shipping costs to the states.

How did you add the additional rivet? Drill through the flap but then where in the wheel well? Just through the liner or what?
Appreciate 1
Shaun1701073.50
      02-04-2024, 10:43 AM   #42
harryo2b
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 x30I

Quote:
This weekend I installed both the carbon steering wheel trim and magnetic shift paddles. I’m very happy with the look and glad I decided to do it. Not thrilled about the holes in the steering wheel to access the airbag but I have some ideas for a solution to this. If it works I’ll share when I have some time.

Steering wheel trim is from eBay, seller name runnstar. They only offer a f8x version on eBay but message them and tell them you have f97 and they’ll send you the right one. This is the same seller the center console trim comes from.

Magnetic shift paddles came from Amazon. I found the seller/store on aliexpress as well same price. I received them 3 days after ordering!
Nice! This is exactly what I'm wanting to do with my M40i steering wheel. I have the factory carbon trim and dislike how the carbon doesn't extend to the steering wheel and center console.

How was the install to remove/replace the steering wheel trim pieces? Did you do it with the wheel on or did you remove the steering wheel to do the work?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2024, 11:17 AM   #43
ttx3m
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryo2b View Post
Nice! This is exactly what I'm wanting to do with my M40i steering wheel. I have the factory carbon trim and dislike how the carbon doesn't extend to the steering wheel and center console.

How was the install to remove/replace the steering wheel trim pieces? Did you do it with the wheel on or did you remove the steering wheel to do the work?
Steering wheel trim was pretty straight forward. I did not remove the wheel. The hardest part was getting the airbag to release. For me I tried a few different tools but a flat head screwdriver did the trick in my case. In each side you have to locate the spring and push it toward the center to decompress it to release the airbag. Don’t forget to disconnect the battery just in case/piece of mind.

Here is a quick photo of the spring your trying to access. Yellow arrow(top) is the spring and red arrow (bottom) is the direction in which your accessing this with your flat head or tool of choice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-04-2024, 12:00 PM   #44
Shaun170
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 Ducati 749  [10.00]
Quote:
shaun19877

How did you add the additional rivet? Drill through the flap but then where in the wheel well? Just through the liner or what?
Yes exactly that. Looked where it needed to sit closer to the arch by pressing my finger against the guard in the appropriate spot. Marked and the drilled off the car. Re installed and then drilled into the arch liner through the new hole. The rivets then hold it fine. It was about an inch and a half lower than the top rivet. You’ll see when you get them. I’ve got mine set out on maximum as they are slightly adjustable. Obviously the extra rivet stops them being adjusted, so set it first to how far you want them to stick out. Within a few days they will become almost unnoticeable.

The side skirts you’ve fitted, do the carpet lights still work? Can’t quite make out from the pictures you’ve posted but looks like the skirts cover them?
Appreciate 0