BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #1
davegarwood999
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X-Line 2.0

2017 X3 2.0 hesitation / jerking on gentle acceleration

Hi, new to the group. Wonder if anyone can shed any light onto a problem I’m having. I have a 2017 2.0 X3 with only 4000 miles on the clock! The car has developed a fault where, if your cruising gently and then gently accelerate the car sometimes hesitates or kangaroos before it pulls away. It’s only started doing this recently. Sometimes you don’t even need to accelerate away but just cruising at low revs you can feel the car jerk a little. There is no hesitation in higher revs or if I floor it
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:45 AM   #2
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by davegarwood999 View Post
Hi, new to the group. Wonder if anyone can shed any light onto a problem I’m having. I have a 2017 2.0 X3 with only 4000 miles on the clock! The car has developed a fault where, if your cruising gently and then gently accelerate the car sometimes hesitates or kangaroos before it pulls away. It’s only started doing this recently. Sometimes you don’t even need to accelerate away but just cruising at low revs you can feel the car jerk a little. There is no hesitation in higher revs or if I floor it
Not heard about this recently. Have you searched this forum? I presume you are already going to visit the dealer where you purchased it from or the closest BMW dealer to you, because all investigative work and rectification will be paid for under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 02:33 AM   #3
davegarwood999
Rep

Yes, the car is booked in for next week. Was told if they discovered the fault was my own, they wouldn’t be paying for it which I thought was daft looking at the issue!!
But it’s alwats nice to have an idea what’s going on or if it’s anything obvious I can fix to easy the worry!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:12 AM   #4
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the car is booked in for next week. Was told if they discovered the fault was my own, they wouldn’t be paying for it which I thought was daft looking at the issue!!
But it’s alwats nice to have an idea what’s going on or if it’s anything obvious I can fix to easy the worry!
Perhaps think about whether it is the engine or the transmission doing it before going for appointment with dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 03:27 AM   #5
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Does the gearbox change down when it hesitates?
Is the hesitation as you call it, gearbox software lag or is it the engine that you are feeling?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:12 AM   #6
davegarwood999
Rep

Originally I did think it was the gearbox so I put it in manual mode and locked the gears in place and it does it without changing up or down so it must be engine
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 04:17 AM   #7
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally I did think it was the gearbox so I put it in manual mode and locked the gears in place and it does it without changing up or down so it must be engine
OK. I have nothing else to suggest. Make sure you are not fobbed off by the dealer. Some of them can be over pedantic and try to charge you for time because they cannot reproduce the fault.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #8
Scotacc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have the identical fault. I have a X3 first registered in January 2016, so manufactured late 2015.
The car is booked into my dealership next Friday. The after sales agent mentioned drive train when I described the fault. I will let you know what the diagnosis is next Friday.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
davegarwood999
Rep

Yes please ..... if you wouldn’t mind keeping me posted I will do the same. Out of interest, what’s your mileage?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 12:40 AM   #10
davegarwood999
Rep

Quick update, I picked up my loan car yesterday. A 2016 320D and it is doing exactly the same thing! Now I’m paranoid that this is just a normal BMW thing?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 05:23 AM   #11
Scotacc
Registered
Rep

I’ve done just over 40k
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 07:03 AM   #12
davegarwood999
Rep

Okay had a phone call from the dealer this morning saying that apparently it’s a dodgy EGR valve. I’ll get the car back on Monday and post an update
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
gezo_e
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw X1

Hi bmw owners,

I'm just interested did you guys find solution for this problem because I have same issue just on my BMW X1 2017.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:54 AM   #14
bshrky
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31, M-Sport

Any updates here?

I have just had an EGR valve replaced and still have this issue
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 09:04 PM   #15
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

One thing I would try is clean the MAF sensor in case it has some oil or other contaminants on it. It is rather easy to access (less so on the 35i), cleaning it is pretty straightforward, and the cleaner itself is inexpensive. I used the CRC mass air flow sensor cleaner which as I understand it, is pretty much the only product you should use for cleaning your MAF.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #16
Scout10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X3 X28i

Had a touch of that also with a US 2017 X3 2.0
Turned off the "eng off at traffic light" crap.
Then upped the ante on petrol . . . no 89 or 90 ...
Went to 93 oct, and within 500 miles it went away.

It was doing it between 4 to 10K. I had it in the dealer and they said, nothing was
detected and there are no trouble codes. Thus nothing to fix.

Did the off and octane on my own.
(your experience may vary )

18K now .... still doesn't do it.
1965 Chevrolet Corvette 327 / 4spd Convt
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #17
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Get a scanner like the Foxwell NT520.... then you’ll know...and will be a step ahead of the dealer...

Your dealer service rep needs a slap...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #18
subieworx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Had the same issue with my F30 328xi. Turned out to be a bad transfer case that couldn't decide where to apply power. Was changed out under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #19
harry_rai
Registered
Rep

Mr

Hi There

Does anyone get to the bottom of this problem ?
I have BMW x3 Msport 2017 model and it also misfire at low speed. other thing is that the car ride is very bumpy and its not smooth at all.

Does anyone experiance any of these issues ?

Thanks
Harry
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 10:02 PM   #20
gerald325i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 [f25]

I'm having the same issue, started at 120,000 miles on my 2011 X3 F25 28i.
Wife complained of the shuddering and jerking when accelerating or decelerating. I confirmed and when I floored it I got the drivertrain malfunction and check engine lights. At this time I had no ODB2 computer to read codes.

Changed ignition coils, no fix (edited to clarify: after replacing all coils --purchased on eBay as new Botsch OEMs-- the engine basically sputtered and since you cannot troubleshoot inserting so many variables at once, I quickly replaced them all with the old ones and ordered the OBD2 computer to avoid doing this blindly, when you read two posts below you will understand this edit).
Then changed spark plugs -leaving old coils still in-, no fix. Took to transmission shop and the guy who owns BMWs too said it is NOT the transmission and not to even mention it to a delaership, but to take it there to avoid replacing part after part.

Then I figured, I have never changed the fuel filter. So that is next on my agenda. By the way, correct fuel fitler for the X3 F25 xDrive 28i is Mann WK515 or Hengst H420WK. I will upate when I replace...but I don't expect a fix...but at 120,000 miles with original filter, might as well do it.

Also while I wait for the filter, I bought a can of CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner Spray after reading that K&N air filters are known for letting the oil coat these sensors to the point where the engine does not get the right amount of fuel causing hesitation as well...I cleaned the sensor today and drove the car for about 20 minutes without any jerking or hesitation, but will have to drive some more for a few days until the filter arrives. I'll keep you posted. UPDATE BELOW...

Last edited by gerald325i; 03-25-2019 at 05:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 11:20 AM   #21
mapledave
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 2.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerald325i View Post
I'm having the same issue, started at 120,000 miles on my 2011 X3 F25 28i.
Wife complained of the shuddering and jerking when accelerating or decelerating. I confirmed and when I floored it I got the drivertrain malfunction and check engine lights. This later dissapered when changing spark plugs, but still jerks.

Changed ignition coils, no fix. Changed spark plugs, no fix. No OBD2 malfunction codes. Took to transmission shop and the guy who owns BMWs too said it is NOT the transmission and not to even mention it to a delaership, but to take it there to avoid replacing part after part.

Then I figured, I have never changed the fuel filter. So that is next on my agenda. By the way, correct fuel fitler for the X3 F25 xDrive 28i is Mann WK515 or Hengst H420WK. I will upate when I replace...but I don't expect a fix...but at 120,000 miles with original filter, might as well do it.

Also while I wait for the filter, I bought a can of CRC Mass Airflow Sensor Cleaner Spray after reading that K&N air filters are known for letting the oil coat these sensors to the point where the engine does not get the right amount of fuel causing hesitation as well...I cleaned the sensor today and drove the car for about 20 minutes without any jerking or hesitation, but will have to drive some more for a few days until the filter arrives. I'll keep you posted.
How did you make out? I Cleaned my MAF Sensor... Seemed OK for a day or two, but then back to acting up again.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #22
gerald325i
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 [f25]

UPDATE: So the day after cleaning the MAF sensor I went for a drive and coming out of a driveway I get a full Drivetrain Malfunction. But this time I had the OBD2 computer hooked up to it. So it reads Cyclinder 2 misfire. I restarted the car a couple of times to get it out of limp mode as it gets really persistent.

I get home and swapped #1 and #2 coils and went for a drive. Guess what, It swapped sides and the computer now tells me that cylinder 1 misfires.

So I get home and pull out out the box of 6 NEW coils that I had tried before. Keep in mind: I ordered these from eBAY and they are Botsch and new. They look IDENTICAL to the old ones...

So I go out for a drive thinking: I just go this fixed...and Boom! Drivetrain malfunction and check engine light. OBD2 computer says: Cylinder 1 misfire. So I go home thinking, WTF! How can I buy bad coils AND the first one I get fails!

So I go back home, put in a new coil. Out for a drive and now I get no malfunctions, but you can feel the car...as if you're fishing and a fish bites...hesitating, biting.

Finally I get the drivertain malfunction error, Cylinder 1 misfire. Went home changed the coil. And after that, SMOOTH RIDE.

So this is what I think: I got screwed with the eBay order, and what should have been a simple coil replacement ended up complicating my troubleshooting with BAD COILS.

Now, I still have the fuel filter coming in, and will replace it.

It could be that a clogged filter results in less fuel going into cylinders and requiring a stronger spark to ignite, meaning that none of the coils that failed are actually bad, just less efficient at producing a spark, but I will retest them after the fuel filter change. Ohmeter check on the "suspected bad" coils says they are good...but the difference is noticeable after the last replacement. It is a smooth ride.

Last edited by gerald325i; 03-25-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0