BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #23
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 2.8i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

And in regards to the warranty, it seems the chains that were to fail did so until 70k miles (mine went before that).

So it's unlikely to find a vehicle that will:

- not have failed until 70k and fails later
- not have run 70k miles in 7 years
- failed before 70k miles and fail again after
Do you have a source to some data that would back up this claim? I have a MY'13 with a N20 with 50K miles that is immaculate condition, but I'm thinking about replacing it before I hit the 7 years. In my opinion the worst case cost of the chain guide failing isn't something I'd want to ever deal with.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:21 PM   #24
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce24 View Post
Quote:

And in regards to the warranty, it seems the chains that were to fail did so until 70k miles (mine went before that).

So it's unlikely to find a vehicle that will:

- not have failed until 70k and fails later
- not have run 70k miles in 7 years
- failed before 70k miles and fail again after
Do you have a source to some data that would back up this claim? I have a MY'13 with a N20 with 50K miles that is immaculate condition, but I'm thinking about replacing it before I hit the 7 years. In my opinion the worst case cost of the chain guide failing isn't something I'd want to ever deal with.
Which claim?
The one that says chains are more likely to fail before 70k k?

It's not a claim, it's an observation. I believe a carmaker, when extending warranty on a part, performs a statistical analysis and uses it to establish the warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 06:21 AM   #25
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Which claim?
The one that says chains are more likely to fail before 70k k?

It's not a claim, it's an observation. I believe a carmaker, when extending warranty on a part, performs a statistical analysis and uses it to establish the warranty period.
That's crazy. We all know random people on the internet are way smarter than the engineers that designed the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
That's crazy. We all know random people on the internet are way smarter than the engineers that designed the car.
What is crazy is your repeated posting of "There's no timing chain issue" even though BMW recognized the issue, came out with a service bulletin and felt it necessary to extend the warranty because of it.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-06-2018, 05:39 PM   #27
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What is crazy is your repeated posting of "There's no timing chain issue" even though BMW recognized the issue, came out with a service bulletin and felt it necessary to extend the warranty because of it.
BMW is fixing the 0.001% of cars that have a defect at no cost to the owner and they will give you a loaner car for free while they replace the defective parts. An issue would be something BMW refuses to recognize costing owners thousands of dollars to repair.

Y'all act just like my ex wife. We could be having a nice dinner and all a sudden "REMEMBER THAT ONE TIME YOU LEFT THE TOILET SEAT UP????????". Babe, that was 5 years ago. "I DON'T CARE YOU'RE SUCH AN ASSHOLE".

That's what you guys sound like bringing up the timing chain defect every fucking post on something that hasn't been an issue for nearly 5 years. The engines that have a defect that are not fixed yet are going to be fixed for free if they do have it. Let it fucking go already.

Last edited by Riick; 12-06-2018 at 05:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #28
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
. An issue would be something BMW refuses to recognize costing owners thousands of dollars to repair.
Which is the position people are in once they hit 7y/70k miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:19 AM   #29
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
. An issue would be something BMW refuses to recognize costing owners thousands of dollars to repair.
True, but is it though?

Is there any car that has had this issue after 70k?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 09:34 AM   #30
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
True, but is it though?

E39 540i's....owners were asking for major trouble if they did not do chain guide PM replacement post ~ 120K miles.

Ok that's an old model, but you asked😉
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #31
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
True, but is it though?

In this forum, maybe ...see: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475446

but I wonder what percent of X3's + N20 with the questionable chain guide have even hit 70K miles along with what percent of people with this issue post it on a forum.

I did see one claim of an F30 (MY'12 328i) having the issue at 151K miles...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1452294&page=2

Personally I have 9 months before I hit 7 years, at which time I will have about 60K miles and I trying to decide if I want to keep my car or not.
Appreciate 1
________4157.00
      12-07-2018, 10:19 AM   #32
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
True, but is it though?

In this forum, maybe ...see: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1475446

but I wonder what percent of X3's + N20 with the questionable chain guide have even hit 70K miles along with what percent of people with this issue post it on a forum.

I did see one claim of an F30 (MY'12 328i) having the issue at 151K miles...https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...294&page=2

Personally I have 9 months before I hit 7 years, at which time I will have about 60K miles and I trying to decide if I want to keep my car or not.
What I'd do is replace the chain, guides and tensioner if I was keeping the car.

I'd scan it for knocking errors as well.

As I mentioned mine had it replaced at around 100 k km, and car is sitting at 153 k km today. It wasn't too expensive (I believe the bill was 1200 CAD, I'd have to confirm for accuracy, not just memory) and was done because of a "superknock" code while scanning the vehicle at the dealer.

I have Rheingold at home so I can scan as they can.

I'm not keeping the car past 180k km, when my insurance is over, so I'm not too concerned. But if I had no insurance what I'd do the above.

For 1200 it's "nothing". And not worthwhile have it blow up and damage the engine.

Other things are far worse money-wise (albeit not risking the engine as that is), such as the turbo (which I also had replaced). Even the water pump is more money...

It just seems like BMW only makes cars for its warranty period and leasing. After 80 k km everything fails... I'm very displeased with the brand and I used to be a huge fan.

Now there's no more manuals, cars look fugly, are soft, automatic, and crazy unreliable.

I'm close to being done. Replacing the X3 with a Macan and keeping the 135i for a while and seeing what comes next (manual).

Rant over
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 10:46 AM   #33
Bruce24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
What I'd do is replace the chain, guides and tensioner if I was keeping the car.
I have to get some quotes not from the deal. I asked my dealer a while back who gave me a much higher cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 03:56 PM   #34
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Quotes for timing chain replacement were at approx 2k cad at an indy assuming nothing is broken yet. Original poster seems to be unlucky to get it at 40,000kms.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #35
________
________
Rep

Quote:
I have to get some quotes not from the deal. I asked my dealer a while back who gave me a much higher cost.
You are right. I checked and it was 999 CAD just for parts at the most expensive dealer (You can definitely source these parts cheaper).

Timing chain, Chain Tensioner (11-31-7-592-877), Slide Rail, 10 Torx Bolts, Chain tensioner (11-31-7-567-680), Chain Drive, Gasket and oil, Sprocket and other screws and parts...

Plus labour.
And the car had 110,699 km. I would actually have been over 70 k miles if the O2 sensor hadn't failed at the same time, making the car drive poorly and with the check engine light on...

BMW did not pay for this service...

999 CAD for parts and 3200 CAD for labour!
They ended up giving 20% discount on both and apparently the bill was 3300 CAD + taxes

It's definitely not as cheap as I thought. More reasons to dump this trash lol
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 08:15 PM   #36
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
True, but is it though?

Nope.

And who keeps their BMW past 100k miles? If you are that broke you shouldn't be buying a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2020, 07:17 PM   #37
ubviswanath
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 528i

Please register a complaint on NHTSA website for Timing-Chain issue

I called NHTSA today and so far they only have a couple of complaints pertaining to the timing-chain problem. There are 68 other complaints related to power-braking and an investigation is launched for only that.

Most of you know by now that BMW extended the warranty on timing-chain only to 7 year/ 70k, but failed to have sent letters to all the owners.

This timing-chain is a universal problem and I seriously insist that a complaint be filed so an investigation can begin.

Can you take a moment and go to www.nhtsa.gov and write up a complaint of when your issue occurred and what you have done about it.

It takes less than 5 minutes and is very very straight forward - enter VIN number (it is available online on your insurance declaration page), select "Engine & Powertrain" as the affected components and type in the incident.

Also contact KKG Law office and talk to the paralegal about your issue.

Appreciate 0