BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-11-2018, 01:38 AM   #1
viperbo21
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 x28i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
New Tires for the Desert

I just bought a 2017 X3 x28i. It's got 33k miles. The front tires are terribly worn but the rears are fine. Size is 245/45 19. I have been reading a lot about people getting rid of their run flats and the price difference is appealing. I live in Phoenix and our average temp is 100F and in the winter it never gets colder than 50F during normal drive times. It also only rains like 10 days a year here. Should I go for a summer tire or all season? I'm looking for a tire with good comfort, low noise, and will last at least 30k. Recommendations?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

No snow? Ultra performance Summer tire. Runflat tires ride like shit that's why we get rid of them, it will be a whole new vehicle to you with normal tires.

General AS-05 or Firestone Indy 500
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 06:55 AM   #3
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

I would definitely go with a summer tire. Always. Even here in Canada (I use winter tires in the winter anyway).

You'll be safer with a summer tire, and will have more fun.

The Michelin tires have warranty for mileage over that (meaning if they get worn out before the warrantied mileage, they prorate a discount on new ones).

Go with the Michelin PS4S and call it a day.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:07 AM   #4
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

does a x3 really need summer tires? it will depend of your needs and driving habit. its not a 6MT M3 w/450whp...

Of course the indy 500 is , for now, the best bang for the buck, hands down, for summers.
I tracked my audi with some Continental extremcontact DW, and switched for Indy 500, since they were way cheaper , and about the same performance, I was very pleased !

But , note the treadwear.

i.e. : Indy 500 treadwear is 340.
most all season tires will be higher.

I personally run on the X3 35i Mpack Continental extremcontact DWS06, since they are all season performance tire, with a treadwear of 560. Which is insane.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 07:49 AM   #5
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I ran summer tires on my E39 sedans- can't beat the performance but geez the car burned thru them pretty quickly due to low treadwear rating- ran Conti Extreme Contacts.

Switched to Michelin A/S 3+ and tho not quite same level of performance got a lot better service life due to higher wear rating.

Personally I don't see much value of sticky summer tire on a relatively heavy, large/high center of gravity vehicle- is one really going to push such a car near its limits in the twisties?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
________
________
Rep

People forget tires are the only thing in contact with the ground. There's no compromise to safety.

Maybe some will only understand it when they hit someone because they couldn't brake in time.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #7
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I run Indy 500 on my X3 here in Florida. Best tire I have ever owned on any car, ever, at any price point.

There's nothing you can do to break traction, even in rain. With proper brake pads (not OEM) stopping power is so high it will want to toss you out the windshield.

The Firestone Indy 500 is just a rebranded Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin RE003, if you were not aware.
Appreciate 1
scostu1621.00
      12-12-2018, 08:00 PM   #8
viperbo21
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 x28i

Garage List
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
Thanks for all the recommendations! I'll have to do more research.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #9
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
I would definitely go with a summer tire. Always. Even here in Canada (I use winter tires in the winter anyway).

The Michelin tires have warranty for mileage over that (meaning if they get worn out before the warrantied mileage, they prorate a discount on new ones).

No Michelins in the desert for me.

The tire shop I used to frequent much refused to fit Michelin summer tires on any performance vehicle. Here in Vegas owners were bringing their cars back after six months complaining of crap ride and vibrations. It was almost always due to the Michelins becoming hockey pucks in the heat a low humidity.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the guys at the Jag dealer in Palm Springs all swore that the Hankook summer boots were the best for wear, steering response and ride. The XKR I bought from them came so equipped and they were great. For the price compared to the OEM Dunlops, they were f'ing brilliant.
Appreciate 1
________4158.50
      12-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post

No Michelins in the desert for me.

The tire shop I used to frequent much refused to fit Michelin summer tires on any performance vehicle. Here in Vegas owners were bringing their cars back after six months complaining of crap ride and vibrations. It was almost always due to the Michelins becoming hockey pucks in the heat a low humidity.

I know I'll probably get flamed for this, but the guys at the Jag dealer in Palm Springs all swore that the Hankook summer boots were the best for wear, steering response and ride. The XKR I bought from them came so equipped and they were great. For the price compared to the OEM Dunlops, they were f'ing brilliant.
It makes sense man.
I only recommended the Michelins because the car is a street car.

I'll never run Michelins again, but I track mine. And they are crap if they get too hot. Supposedly the new MPS4S are better at dissipating heat, so they may work well on the street even in the desert. But I don't trust them for track activities...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
It makes sense man.
I only recommended the Michelins because the car is a street car.

I'll never run Michelins again, but I track mine. And they are crap if they get too hot. Supposedly the new MPS4S are better at dissipating heat, so they may work well on the street even in the desert. But I don't trust them for track activities...
Hey what size would you guys run for the ps4s? They dont make them in 245/45/19 they do a 245/40/19 and a 275/40/19

https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...pilot-sport-4s

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #12
malicem3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3

I'd go Michelin, Continental, or Pirelli.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

I know you're talking summer/performance here, but you might also consider the Michelin PS AS/3+. They're an all season performance tire and they perform pretty darn well; their tread wear rating is quite a bit higher than any true summer/performance tire - you'll probably get near 2X the mileage out of them in comparison.

I ran them on my old 5-Series sedan (E39) and found them to be quite a good tire in every respect.

Food for thought / Good Luck
Bill
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2019, 08:04 AM   #14
thatg
Major
Rep
Drives: Silverstone E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgosma View Post
I know you're talking summer/performance here, but you might also consider the Michelin PS AS/3+. They're an all season performance tire and they perform pretty darn well; their tread wear rating is quite a bit higher than any true summer/performance tire - you'll probably get near 2X the mileage out of them in comparison.

I ran them on my old 5-Series sedan (E39) and found them to be quite a good tire in every respect.

Food for thought / Good Luck
Bill
Thanks Bill. The longevity os definitely a plus. I bought a set of m5 wheels after seeing how good they looked on another members f25. He slapped some beefy looking 255/50/19 toyos on, which look nice(gets rid of some wheel gap). But all i hear is how incredible the 4s are and I’m in socal so i wont be doing too much offroading/snow driving. If i do i have the original wheels i can throw some snow tires on. I figure if I can find the right size for these it might make the car a little more fun around corners.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/search...&starteronly=1
Appreciate 0