BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-30-2018, 01:51 PM   #2465
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3sm View Post
Does anyone know if you can actually code the electronic steering in the X3?
code what
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:16 PM   #2466
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnerDriver View Post
code what
Well there are vehicles that have sport/sport+ mode that adjusts the firmness of the steering feel, so I'm wondering if you can code vehicles without DHP to have the sport+ steering feel.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:21 PM   #2467
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
code what
Well there are vehicles that have sport/sport+ mode that adjusts the firmness of the steering feel, so I'm wondering if you can code vehicles without DHP to have the sport+ steering feel.
Oh you mean code a hydraulic system to act as an electronic one? No. It's impossible.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:24 PM   #2468
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Oh you mean code a hydraulic system to act as an electronic one? No. It's impossible.
Huh? X3 F25 has electronic steering rack and models that have DHP option can have steering adjusted in sport+ mode for better feel. Can you code X3s without DHP package to sport+ feel?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #2469
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Huh? X3 F25 has electronic steering rack and models that have DHP option can have steering adjusted in sport+ mode for better feel. Can you code X3s without DHP package to sport+ feel?
Not sure what you mean.

What better feel are you referring to?

X3s only have 2 steering modes:

- standard (comfort/eco pro/DTC)
- "stiffer" (Sport/Sport+/DSC OFF)

So am I understanding you know this and are asking if you can code Sport+ if your car only has Eco/Comfort/Sport (but no Sport+)?

If so, yes you can. But you won't get any different steering mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #2470
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you mean.

So am I understanding you know this and are asking if you can code Sport+ if your car only has Eco/Comfort/Sport (but no Sport+)?

Yes thats exactly what I am asking! My X3 is 2011 with standard suspension and does not have any mode options, just the DSC button. Can I code my steering to have the Sport+ feel all the time? Since I believe all steering racks in F25/F26 are the same.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #2471
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Not sure what you mean.

Yes thats exactly what I am asking! My X3 is 2011 with standard suspension and does not have any mode options, just the DSC button. Can I code my steering to have the Sport+ feel all the time? Since I believe all steering racks in F25/F26 are the same.
Ah. That's trickier!

My car only had Eco/Sport/Comfort, so I could code it to have Sport+.

But without modes, setting it as a default I believe is impossible only because it's impossible to code Sport to come as default on cars that have modes.

Let me ask you this: if you turn DSC OFF (hold traction button for 3 seconds), does your steering wheel get heavier?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:45 PM   #2472
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ah. That's trickier!

But without modes, setting it as a default I believe is impossible only because it's impossible to code Sport to come as default on cars that have modes.

Let me ask you this: if you turn DSC OFF (hold traction button for 3 seconds), does your steering wheel get heavier?
Ah man! when I turn off DSC it felt like it was handling better but steering feel was the same. What if I buy a sport button and module, can I incorporate it with my steering rack to adjust the firmness?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 02:50 PM   #2473
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ah. That's trickier!

Ah man! when I turn off DSC it felt like it was handling better but steering feel was the same. What if I buy a sport button and module, can I incorporate it with my steering rack to adjust the firmness?
See, it won't make the car "handle better" or even give you better feel. It just stiffens it.

So the test is simple, while parked, turn the wheel left and right, then turn DSC OFF and see if it requires more effort then.

If it does, I'm willing to bet you can retrofit the "modes" button. If it doesn't, I don't think it will make a difference for you (I believe the EPS will be different in that case, and more money to retrofit).

Give it a go and see if it makes it stiffer.

If it gets stiffer you already have an "option", albeit it being less safe (no traction control or stability management).

With the modes you'd be able to configure Sport to give you a stiffer wheel with traction/stability controls still on (allowing you to turn cruise control on while in sport, for example).
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:09 PM   #2474
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
See, it won't make the car "handle better" or even give you better feel. It just stiffens it.

So the test is simple, while parked, turn the wheel left and right, then turn DSC OFF and see if it requires more effort then.

If it does, I'm willing to bet you can retrofit the "modes" button. If it doesn't, I don't think it will make a difference for you (I believe the EPS will be different in that case, and more money to retrofit).

If it gets stiffer you already have an "option", albeit it being less safe (no traction control or stability management).

With the modes you'd be able to configure Sport to give you a stiffer wheel with traction/stability controls still on (allowing you to turn cruise control on while in sport, for example).
Interesting, that makes sense I will test tonight after work and report back. I really miss the hydraulic steering
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #2475
person
Serbia
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2017

Hi,
Is it able to code f25 2017, basic cluster and hu_entrynav w/o nav but with most connectors to work with 6wa?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #2476
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting, that makes sense I will test tonight after work and report back. I really miss the hydraulic steering
Oh when I drive it I hate it... I hate the "vagueness" on centre, keep having to correct it to keep it straight it's so weird. When I drive the 135i it's just so much better... but the X3 is lighter to park lol
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:14 PM   #2477
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh when I drive it I hate it... I hate the "vagueness" on centre, keep having to correct it to keep it straight it's so weird. When I drive the 135i it's just so much better... but the X3 is lighter to park lol
I just tested the steering wheel with DSC off and on, and it changed settings on iDrive to sport with the little X3 turning to red. The steering definitely feels heavier when I press the DSC. I have not seen this before, I guess I never held the DSC button long enough.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:16 PM   #2478
________
________
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I just tested the steering wheel with DSC off and on, and it changed settings on iDrive to sport with the little X3 turning to red. The steering definitely feels heavier when I press the DSC. I have not seen this before, I guess I never held the DSC button long enough.
So yeah, I think if you retrofit the buttons it would work.

I'm not sure what's involved in it, if it's cheap you can give it a shot. Perhaps it's one of those things that it's just plug and play. Not sure.

You can have a heavier steering this way for now though, but you'll see it's just that... no better feel
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #2479
ralphy4321
Rep
Drives: 2009 X5 4.8i

Thanks for this instructions. I will give this a go.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 08:15 AM   #2480
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Question about a 2011 X3 with navigation and HUD:

- Is it possible to code to make the speed limit info from the navigation maps appear in the HUD like the newer cars have?
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 09:06 AM   #2481
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Car needs EPS Steering Rack, an 83 EPS FSC Code and proper EPS Coding.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #2482
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Question about a 2011 X3 with navigation and HUD:

- Is it possible to code to make the speed limit info from the navigation maps appear in the HUD like the newer cars have?
Yes, you can code car for 8TH, but you will need SLI Emualtor hardware.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 07:19 PM   #2483
x3sm
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Quote:
Car needs EPS Steering Rack, an 83 EPS FSC Code and proper EPS Coding.
My X3 does have EPS rack!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:50 AM   #2484
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My X3 does have EPS rack!
You can try coding EPS then, but I think you will still need to have an 83 EPS FSC Code for it to work.

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #2485
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Yes, you can code car for 8TH, but you will need SLI Emualtor hardware.
Any link for an SLI Emulator that works with the 2011 F25?
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:24 PM   #2486
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
Any link for an SLI Emulator that works with the 2011 F25?
Custom Retrofit Garage
BMW KAFAS 1/2 - Speed Limit Info Activator:
https://bit.ly/2B4hX9p

Appreciate 0