BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #45
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

In short, Mercedes is the best. I'd take macan if I was in the market though. Also that jaguar got good reviews.
      11-13-2017, 09:17 PM   #46
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

They need to include the SQ5.

We know it isn't the fastest in a straight line but I don't think Audi was gunning for that title. It definitely has competitive road holding and brake distance numbers. Not to mention cabin quietness, good observed MPG, tech, interior quality... pretty much all the important stuff that the average consumer is looking for.

Kudos to BMW though that is an impressive quarter mile time! Can't wait to see what kind of numbers the X3 M will put down!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:20 PM   #47
bwcooper
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
They need to include the SQ5.
You probably know this, but you can get the comparable SQ5 numbers by going to the Car and Driver site and looking up a different comparison. Agree it would have made sense to include it on this one though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 09:29 PM   #48
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
https://www.caranddriver.com/compari...omparison-test

These C&D 'comparison' tests are basically a compendium of the individual tests they've done on the cars. The M40 numbers given in the Velar review indicate C&D is about to publish their test on M40.

Before people read too much into the handling numbers take a look at the tires on the different vehicles used for the tests. The AMG GLC43 had Max performance summer tires, the Audi had SUV summer tires which weren't max performance, and until C&D publishes the M40 review we won't know what tires were on it. And the differences in tires can account for much or all of the differences in handling numbers

Last edited by mspringer; 11-13-2017 at 09:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 10:09 PM   #49
96_Impreza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 96 Impreza,07 Vette,11 X3 35i

1st world is where it's at - why be anywhere else?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:01 AM   #50
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I bought an M40i last week and can give some color here. From a background perspective, I have never owned an X3 before and refused to even sit in the previous gen. My most recent cars have been an M4, M5, 750 and E90 M3 6spd along with an '85 911 and these were my comparison basis. We cross shopped the GLC 43, new Discovery, M3 etc. Long story behind why the diversity, but that is for another day.

My test drive was about 20 minutes back to back with the M3 and I had driven the GLC the same day. The loop was some tight and rough back roads with decent elevation changes through out. One of the better options for a test drive locally that also contained some freeway cruising as well. My truck has the 21" option with Bridgestone Alenza tires. I did not even pay attention to whether they are the AS or Summer option to be honest, but I assume they are the AS tires.

On to the drives, the M3 was very similar to my previous M4 obviously. I did not have the Comp pack which this car had and I was excited to try it after hearing so many good things about it. I found the steering feel to be disappointing as I was expecting a bigger improvement. Power was obviously very good and the car changes direction if you merely think about it. I also found the ride to be more compliant than my M4, but the car still skips in rough corners. It finds grip again quickly, but it can be unsettling if you are not used to it.

The GLC was not on the same test loop and once I saw the interior it was not a serious contender. As I stated before it feels like an 80's German car, very dark and cocoon like inside. Not better or worse just different and not my wife's preference (this is her daily driver). It does have great power, similar to the X3 and handles well. I was not pushing hard on the test drive since I did not know the salesperson and I try to be respectful in those situations. Definitely a nice vehicle and worthy competitor, but I did not find much difference from the X3 dynamically. Ride was decent as well without any harshness in my limited experience.

On to the X3 which we ultimately bought. First off the interior is next level compared to the other vehicles. It is a very open and airy space, great seats (unlike the new sport seats in the 5 series) and a great place to spend significant amounts of time. My only complaint for the interior is the amount of distance between the window sill and arm rest. Sounds weird, but they are so far apart that I have trouble finding a place to comfortably rest my left arm. Small complaint, but I noticed it almost immediately. As for power, it is more than adequate. It is as quick as my son's 340i and lots of fun even during the break in period. I thought my M4 was a very good power balance so the upcoming X3M will be even better I'm sure, but also understand that I thought my M5 was over powered for the chassis (in general the M5 was a big let down for me). I found the handling of the X3 to be very fun and easily accessible. It found grip in the corners where the M3 was skipping. The M3 was still faster, but it was always on edge as well so you feel like you have to be on alert. The X3 M40i allows mortals to switch between having some back road fun and cruising the freeways to work with ease without feeling like you are giving up much in either direction. It is great balance of performance and livability.

BTW I forgot to mention that we also looked at an X5 briefly. Going from the X3 to the X5 you can instantly tell the X5 is an older product. The X5 definitely leans more towards luxury and makes for a great highway cruiser. In comparison to the X3 it feels a little ponderous and you don't really gain any interior space. The back seat room would have swung it to the X5 if we could have comfortably gotten two mid sized adults in the back seat along with our daughter's booster (we have 5 kids and 4 are teenagers).

Let me know if you have any specific questions, I will be happy to answer them the best I can.
Appreciate 4
Max Well4731.00
kozzi927.00
SamS865.50
      11-14-2017, 11:00 AM   #51
Slalom
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4, 18 X3 M40i

Garage List
2004 Z4  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Salespunk, Thank you for the comprehensive review.
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #52
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
Are we really celebrating the superior fuel economy in a performance SUV category when the Mercedes beat us in performance?

Pains me to see this given I've been a BMW fan for 33 years.
Didn't that horse leave your barn when you started talking about trucks?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:28 PM   #53
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuntyb View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Quote:
There just aren't enough reviews yet to tell. Ultimately I'd have to drive it myself, but once I drove the GTS I stopped because there's no way the X3 is going to drive better. It just isn't. And the SQ5 wasn't even close. It's slightly bigger, but at least for us, it wasn't any bigger in a useful way, and the drive paled compared to the GTS - I could feel it's weight and high CG at nearly every turn. And most of the M40i reviews I've seen from members have been from those who had the previous X3, which was a huge letdown to drive imho, so I take those with a grain of salt. I think the M40i will be nice overall package and a big upgrade to the previous gen, but I don't see it as a driver's car.

Basically, once I can drive the M40i myself, I'll have a better idea. Until then, I'll keep any eye out for the nearly unanimous reviews that laud the telepathic transmission and exceptional driving dynamics.
Please do check it out and give your opinion vs the GTS. Obviously the PDK is going to be lots of fun, and there's likely more track-oriented handling, but power wise they should be well matched for off-track use.

I understand what you're saying in regards to many reviews vs older X3 being taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand, lots of F80 M3 owners on these forums seem to be excited and jumping to M40i for the added utility while keeping most of the fun factor. I have my doubts that a Macan GTS is going to be more of a driver's car than an F80 M3.
Yup. As I said, until I can drive it, I don't really know. I think the GTS and M40i are well matched in many ways, and if you're just looking for a fun grocery getter/family hauler with excellent technology, the M40i is probably tough to beat. I certainly wouldn't pick the base Macan or Macan S over it. I'd only give the GTS the edge in terms of the transmission, sound, and interior quality. It was a bank vault on the highway, and I just can't imagine an X3 with that kind of fit and finish, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get behind the wheel? Who knows, maybe I'll be in an M40i in a few years!

I have the Macan GTS, great interior and great handling. Even better are the brakes on the GTS. Literally stops on a dime. Only bad part to the GTS is the fuel economy. It really does guzzle fuel
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #54
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
I bought an M40i last week and can give some color here. From a background perspective, I have never owned an X3 before and refused to even sit in the previous gen. My most recent cars have been an M4, M5, 750 and E90 M3 6spd along with an '85 911 and these were my comparison basis. We cross shopped the GLC 43, new Discovery, M3 etc. Long story behind why the diversity, but that is for another day. ...

On to the X3 which we ultimately bought. First off the interior is next level compared to the other vehicles. It is a very open and airy space, great seats (unlike the new sport seats in the 5 series) and a great place to spend significant amounts of time. My only complaint for the interior is the amount of distance between the window sill and arm rest. Sounds weird, but they are so far apart that I have trouble finding a place to comfortably rest my left arm. Small complaint, but I noticed it almost immediately. As for power, it is more than adequate. It is as quick as my son's 340i and lots of fun even during the break in period. I thought my M4 was a very good power balance so the upcoming X3M will be even better I'm sure, but also understand that I thought my M5 was over powered for the chassis (in general the M5 was a big let down for me). I found the handling of the X3 to be very fun and easily accessible. It found grip in the corners where the M3 was skipping. The M3 was still faster, but it was always on edge as well so you feel like you have to be on alert. The X3 M40i allows mortals to switch between having some back road fun and cruising the freeways to work with ease without feeling like you are giving up much in either direction. It is great balance of performance and livability. ...
An excellent review written in objective fashion with appropriate subjective commentary based on actual experience with the vehicle - well done.
Appreciate 1
Salespunk1745.00
      11-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #55
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
There just aren't enough reviews yet to tell. Ultimately I'd have to drive it myself, but once I drove the GTS I stopped because there's no way the X3 is going to drive better. It just isn't. And the SQ5 wasn't even close. It's slightly bigger, but at least for us, it wasn't any bigger in a useful way, and the drive paled compared to the GTS - I could feel it's weight and high CG at nearly every turn. And most of the M40i reviews I've seen from members have been from those who had the previous X3, which was a huge letdown to drive imho, so I take those with a grain of salt. I think the M40i will be nice overall package and a big upgrade to the previous gen, but I don't see it as a driver's car.

Basically, once I can drive the M40i myself, I'll have a better idea. Until then, I'll keep any eye out for the nearly unanimous reviews that laud the telepathic transmission and exceptional driving dynamics.
Please do check it out and give your opinion vs the GTS. Obviously the PDK is going to be lots of fun, and there's likely more track-oriented handling, but power wise they should be well matched for off-track use.

I understand what you're saying in regards to many reviews vs older X3 being taken with a grain of salt. On the other hand, lots of F80 M3 owners on these forums seem to be excited and jumping to M40i for the added utility while keeping most of the fun factor. I have my doubts that a Macan GTS is going to be more of a driver's car than an F80 M3.
Yup. As I said, until I can drive it, I don't really know. I think the GTS and M40i are well matched in many ways, and if you're just looking for a fun grocery getter/family hauler with excellent technology, the M40i is probably tough to beat. I certainly wouldn't pick the base Macan or Macan S over it. I'd only give the GTS the edge in terms of the transmission, sound, and interior quality. It was a bank vault on the highway, and I just can't imagine an X3 with that kind of fit and finish, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised when I get behind the wheel? Who knows, maybe I'll be in an M40i in a few years!

I have the Macan GTS, great interior and great handling. Even better are the brakes on the GTS. Literally stops on a dime. Only bad part to the GTS is the fuel economy. It really does guzzle fuel
Thankfully it has the larger tank, but yeah, most of the folks on the forums say it guzzles gas like there's no tomorrow. The fact they put the larger Turbo brakes on there is nice, and the stopping power was unexpected. Overall, I was really blown away by the whole package. I wanted to hate it because we're replacing our beloved F31 and didn't want a crossover, but damn it's a *crazy good* crossover. Not sure how they did it.

2019 F90 Comp MBB|Black (sold)
2018 F80 ZCP TB|SS (sold)
2015 F30 335 AW|CR (sold)
2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
2011 E90 JB|Oyster (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #56
hi_officer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: something fast

Why not use the Macan GTS in the test with 360hp? It seems it would be the most comparable to the quasi-M and quasi-AMG models. The Macan Turbo would then be comparable to the real M and AMG.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:20 PM   #57
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_officer View Post
Why not use the Macan GTS in the test with 360hp? It seems it would be the most comparable to the quasi-M and quasi-AMG models. The Macan Turbo would then be comparable to the real M and AMG.
I wondered the same.

I'm looking forward to driving the M40i myself or seeing more head to heads between it and the GTS. I think that's the better comparison here.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:32 PM   #58
ND40oz
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
It's a review for the Velar, so it appears they picked vehicles they think will be cross-shopped with it.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 01:40 PM   #59
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
How can anyone possibly hate? At this price point and segment, the performance is awesome and long over due. Counting the days until I am in mine!

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 2
spuntyb4054.50
Max Well4731.00
      11-14-2017, 01:52 PM   #60
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
Quote:
It's a review for the Velar, so it appears they picked vehicles they think will be cross-shopped with it.
I figured the same. The Macan S is incredibly popular, while the GTS is a bit of a rarity and probably not cross shopped as much in this segment.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #61
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
I figured the same. The Macan S is incredibly popular, while the GTS is a bit of a rarity and probably not cross shopped as much in this segment.
I was actually surprised, the local dealer only had one GTS, and it was fairly loaded at $105k. They had many Macan S but the least expensive was loaded to $85k. From the “starting at” numbers you’d think they’re at least in the ballpark of these competitors, but apparently you have to order one (which also takes a lot longer than I’m used to with BMW, quoted over 6 months).
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #62
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I was actually surprised, the local dealer only had one GTS, and it was fairly loaded at $105k. They had many Macan S but the least expensive was loaded to $85k. From the “starting at” numbers you’d think they’re at least in the ballpark of these competitors, but apparently you have to order one (which also takes a lot longer than I’m used to with BMW, quoted over 6 months).
Whoa! That's silly $ for an S or GTS. They had a perfect GTS on the lot that I test drove for about $86k and I almost bought it on the spot, but we ordered ours because we were picky about colors. Total wait will only be 3 months. Still longer than BMW. Amazed they said 6 months, damn

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #63
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Whoa! That's silly $ for an S or GTS. They had a perfect GTS on the lot that I test drove for about $86k and I almost bought it on the spot, but we ordered ours because we were picky about colors. Total wait will only be 3 months. Still longer than BMW. Amazed they said 6 months, damn

Multiple Audi dealers have quoted me 6 mo as well for custom builds over the years. Maybe they're just trying to talk me into what's on the lot.

Damn, looks like that high end GTS sold. It's been a few months, now I see they have four GTS between $85-95k and two S in the $75k range. The thing is, I know I'd want to load it up with options and the Macan just gets too rich compared to the competition.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #64
spuntyb
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Multiple Audi dealers have quoted me 6 mo as well for custom builds over the years. Maybe they're just trying to talk me into what's on the lot.

Damn, looks like that high end GTS sold. It's been a few months, now I see they have four GTS between $85-95k and two S in the $75k range. The thing is, I know I'd want to load it up with options and the Macan just gets too rich compared to the competition.
Depends what options you want. I spent months researching the options on the forums, and I really can't understand a GTS over $85k. Ours was about $85k MSRP and had everything but the Burmester system and the CCBs (performance-wise). That's still pricey I know, but we also have the full leather interior on top of all the other goodies.

2015 F31 MG|CR (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #65
MichiganMike
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 xDrive 35i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwcooper View Post
You probably know this, but you can get the comparable SQ5 numbers by going to the Car and Driver site and looking up a different comparison. Agree it would have made sense to include it on this one though.
Below is a link to a recent test of the Audi SQ5 by Car and Driver.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...q5-test-review
Appreciate 2
Max Well4731.00
spuntyb4054.50
      11-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #66
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Depends what options you want. I spent months researching the options on the forums, and I really can't understand a GTS over $85k. Ours was about $85k MSRP and had everything but the Burmester system and the CCBs (performance-wise). That's still pricey I know, but we also have the full leather interior on top of all the other goodies.
I do agree, that's just all that was available at the time. I might have been able to get a transfer if I'd have gotten really serious about it.

These links won't age well, but here are some examples ~$100k+ GTS builds if you're curious as to how it could get there. They really aren't that common, perhaps I just had bad luck.

https://goo.gl/gfxccY
https://goo.gl/dTAAwg
Appreciate 1
spuntyb4054.50