BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-02-2021, 04:38 PM   #1673
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara504 View Post
I text at red lights. I’m technically stopped, but I’m sure it’s still illegal. I am guilty of changing songs while driving.
I don't know the laws in your state but I'm pretty sure they're the same as here in GA. Doesn't matter whether you're stopped in traffic, you're still behind the wheel of a vehicle with the engine running.

But like I said earlier, I see that shit all the time and I don't think the laws are enforced so much. However, as Sedan_Clan stated, it's not common to pull people over for just that and it becomes an "add on" penalty to something else you were being cited for.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #1674
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

Oh and I do it in one straight drive. 17 hours nonstop.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:40 PM   #1675
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
I don't know the laws in your state but I'm pretty sure they're the same as here in GA. Doesn't matter whether you're stopped in traffic, you're still behind the wheel of a vehicle with the engine running.

But like I said earlier, I see that shit all the time and I don't think the laws are enforced so much. However, as Sedan_Clan stated, it's not common to pull people over for just that and it becomes an "add on" penalty to something else you were being cited for.
I think it’s the same here.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 04:44 PM   #1676
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Cops have exemption (...at least here in California).
Same as Ontario....the other thing I'll say is the Hands Free law here is actually distracted driving so you can get a ticket if you're doing anything that's distracting you...we also have a catch all "careless driving", which is without due care and attention. It carries a big fine and hefty demerit points.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25256.50
      04-02-2021, 04:46 PM   #1677
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
I text at red lights. I’m technically stopped, but I’m sure it’s still illegal. I am guilty of changing songs while driving.
So you’re the one that I need to honk my horn at when the light changed...,
Appreciate 7
Murf99314118.00
Littlebear3511.50
RickFLM411000.00
UncleWede18151.50
JN1301.50
premier3is1637.50
      04-02-2021, 04:52 PM   #1678
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
No, I can see when the light goes green.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1367.50
      04-02-2021, 05:16 PM   #1679
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
That's factually incorrect (...see my post above).
But if you couldn't see the driver with phone in hand, how can you cite them? You stated that you do in fact need to see the phone in hand.
Unless your tint is limo dark (...which is another justifiable reason to pull someone over in California), it's easy to see the silhouette. Furthermore, at night you can see the light from the screen.

Quote:
Quote:
Cops have exemption (...at least here in California).
Hmmm interesting. Are cops not human?
I mean not to drag this into a debate, but why is it safe for a police officer to be looking at their phone while driving?
We often conduct business via cellular phone while on duty, hence why the exemption only applies to us while on duty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
Is operating a vehicle without registration but had the title in hand/ on their person count as an arrestable offense or would said driver just get ticketed?
It's not a serious offense, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's merely an infraction that can be fixed in court.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314118.00
      04-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #1680
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara View Post
Oh and I do it in one straight drive. 17 hours nonstop.
Good Bladder!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #1681
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Even in the clear changing songs, hand doesn't leave the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 05:51 PM   #1682
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
Quote:
This has become so common for me, that I literally leave space between me and the car in front of me at a red light, so I can drive and accelerate around the person who thinks that red light intersection is the opportune time to catch up and reply to the texts there were reading while driving.

Really appreciate the ///M when all of a sudden, said texter now is in a hurry when they see me pull around them in their left mirror because the light has been green for some time and I clearly see they are buried in there phone.
      04-02-2021, 05:55 PM   #1683
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai of 2day View Post
This has become so common for me, that I literally leave space between me and the car in front of me at a red light, so I can drive and accelerate around the person who thinks that red light intersection is the opportune time to catch up and reply to the texts there were reading while driving.

Really appreciate the ///M when all of a sudden, said texter now is in a hurry when they see me pull around them in their left mirror because the light has been green for some time and I clearly see they are buried in there phone.
I do the same but it pisses me off in left turn lanes. They freakin wake up just in time so they make the arrow and I get stuck for another cycle.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314118.00
      04-02-2021, 06:15 PM   #1684
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Even in the clear changing songs, hand doesn't leave the wheel.
I have one hand on the wheel, one hand selecting a specific song on my iPhone. Takes 3 seconds.

I can change songs on my steering wheel, but I'm not pressing my steering wheel buttons 400+ times until I find the song I want. I'd be pulling into the garage at that point.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 06:18 PM   #1685
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebear View Post
Good Bladder!
haha, no I stop every 3-4 hours lol.
Appreciate 1
Littlebear3511.50
      04-02-2021, 07:23 PM   #1686
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

OP--thanks for making this thread. I'm extra glad that you're also in CA so your knowledge is directly applicable to my life.

I've had a situation where passengers were asked for their IDs and subsequently harassed with, IMO, no logical justification due to some information an officer (sheriff deputy in this situation) found after running the DL #. As a passenger in a car, is one required to present an ID if asked by a cop that pulls the car over?

Same question if walking down the road--does a citizen have to produce identification?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:28 PM   #1687
Littlebear
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...the Mods crazy.

Quote:
haha, no I stop every 3-4 hours lol.
I measure it in 'cups of joe consumed'.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 07:35 PM   #1688
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek. View Post
OP--thanks for making this thread. I'm extra glad that you're also in CA so your knowledge is directly applicable to my life.

I've had a situation where passengers were asked for their IDs and subsequently harassed with, IMO, no logical justification due to some information an officer (sheriff deputy in this situation) found after running the DL #. As a passenger in a car, is one required to present an ID if asked by a cop that pulls the car over?

Same question if walking down the road--does a citizen have to produce identification?
So I didn't work in the US and will happily defer to Sedan_Clan but generally speaking you don't have to identify yourself if you are the passenger or a pedestrian. However, there are lots of reasons you might get asked and would have to or want to provide ID. If you match the description of someone the police are looking for, you can be detained, investigated and possibly searched. So providing ID and cooperating may be in your best interest whether you are a passenger or a pedestrian. I get the notion that what you do or don't have to do is appealing, but really what is to be gained. Refusal might cause you a lot more grief than a bit of cooperation.
Appreciate 3
Vivek.1367.50
Littlebear3511.50
      04-02-2021, 07:40 PM   #1689
Buug959
Captain
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 335xi E90, GMC Sierra, VW Golf

Quote:
Hmmm interesting. Are cops not human?
I mean not to drag this into a debate, but why is it safe for a police officer to be looking at their phone while driving?
This came to mind.
Attached Images

Vivek.1367.50
M5Rick61535.50
Dpc2u11503.00
      04-02-2021, 08:03 PM   #1690
Vivek.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335is coupe, e30 vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf993 View Post
So I didn't work in the US and will happily defer to Sedan_Clan but generally speaking you don't have to identify yourself if you are the passenger or a pedestrian. However, there are lots of reasons you might get asked and would have to or want to provide ID. If you match the description of someone the police are looking for, you can be detained, investigated and possibly searched. So providing ID and cooperating may be in your best interest whether you are a passenger or a pedestrian. I get the notion that what you do or don't have to do is appealing, but really what is to be gained. Refusal might cause you a lot more grief than a bit of cooperation.
That makes sense. Cooperation was the action taken in this situation and it still led to a bit of grief due to a past driving incident on record which was completely irrelevant cuz the guy wasn't even driving at the time.

Another one regarding CA and registration. Can a car that is registered out of state be given a BAR referral? Is there any law against driving a company-owned vehicle that's registered in another state?
2013 335is Mineral/Coral - DR 6466 - DR Mani - PI - Motiv FF - Dodson Clutches - OEM CF Roof - M3 GTS DCT/LSD/DS/Halfshafts/Suspension/Subframe/Brakes/Chassis Bracing F+R - DEFIV Diff Brace - 437M/R888R
2015 X5 35D - 1990 535i [RIP] - 1992 318i Convertible - 2002 540i/6
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 09:57 PM   #1691
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Why should I bother to have insurance if there is no legal penalty for not having it while I drive?

I got the CHP report. The same insurance information provided to me was provided to the officer. After reading the report, I asked the officer at the desk for some assistance: This insurance doesn't include auto liability" "It's a civil matter now" "But he lied to you and didn't provide a valid insurance policy" "If he had a number written on a piece of paper, that what I put in the report, we can't verify" "Well, I have verified, the policy isn't for vehicle liability, you aren't going to do any sort of enforcement?" "No, have a nice day"

So now, a known non-insured vehicle is still out there on the roads, capable of committing more damage with no finnacial liability.
There's a legal penalty: court fines.
Not if the officer simply says "Have a nice day"

I had to file today on my uninsured motorist policy. I did a little digging on the business address and there are at least 40 separate taco trucks running out of this place. The poor driver is gonna get hosed, the "owner" doesn't own shit, but I might only be out $300. And insurance says they can now TRY to get back my deductible as well as their claim
      04-02-2021, 11:03 PM   #1692
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

Any time! The goal in creating this thread was to help create dialogue.

IF you are detained AND being investigated for a crime, you must identify yourself when the officer inquires about who you are. IF you are merely a passenger in a vehicle AND you are not being investigated OR the encounter is casual/consensual on behalf of the officer, you do not have to identify yourself. With that said - and as Murf993 already alluded to - failure to identify will only make the officer/deputy suspicious and result in further inquiries about/into who you are. It's attention you don't really need.

Quote:
Quote:

Exactly this!

Quote:
Quote:
That makes sense. Cooperation was the action taken in this situation and it still led to a bit of grief due to a past driving incident on record which was completely irrelevant cuz the guy wasn't even driving at the time.

Another one regarding CA and registration. Can a car that is registered out of state be given a BAR referral? Is there any law against driving a company-owned vehicle that's registered in another state?
By BAR you mean.....?!?!

Lots of company owned vehicles are registered out of state and driven here. It's no issue.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314118.00
Vivek.1367.50
      04-02-2021, 11:20 PM   #1693
IllSic_Design
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 335i

Quote:

By BAR you mean.....?!?!

Lots of company owned vehicles are registered out of state and driven here. It's no issue.
Pretty sure he means a BAR Smog Referee
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 11:22 PM   #1694
JN1
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: S211 AMG E63

I only have one cop question... what’s your favorite pizza topping?