BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
benne1dc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

Hi everyone! I have a 2015 BMW X3 Xdrive 35i. I bought the car pre-owned. Now I'm getting an error for passenger restraint system malfunction whenever someone is sitting in the passenger seat. It will turn on and off and on and off while I'm driving with someone else in the car. I noticed when someone moves even a bit in the passenger seat it will come on. I think it has to do with the occupancy sensor. Has anyone has this issue or know how to fix it or just even get the malfunction to just stay on and no beep every couple seconds when it clears itself and then comes back on. I'm a college student and would appreciate all the help I can get because I can not afford to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:47 PM   #2
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by benne1dc View Post
Hi everyone! I have a 2015 BMW X3 Xdrive 35i. I bought the car pre-owned. Now I'm getting an error for passenger restraint system malfunction whenever someone is sitting in the passenger seat. It will turn on and off and on and off while I'm driving with someone else in the car. I noticed when someone moves even a bit in the passenger seat it will come on. I think it has to do with the occupancy sensor. Has anyone has this issue or know how to fix it or just even get the malfunction to just stay on and no beep every couple seconds when it clears itself and then comes back on. I'm a college student and would appreciate all the help I can get because I can not afford to take it to the dealer to get it fixed.
Take it to an auto parts store and have them pull the codes and then plug the code into here to see what its telling you --> https://bmwfault.codes

From your description it does sound like the occupancy sensor but verification is always a good idea. How many miles are on it? If no one is sitting in the pass seat, what happens?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:53 PM   #3
benne1dc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

I have 96,000 miles on it. I will definitely do that with the codes. When no one is sitting in the seat, it stays off and no malfunction comes up.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 01:59 PM   #4
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

I don't think an auto parts store OBD scanner will pull SRS codes. I think you would need to find someone with a scanner that reads other BMW codes. But you can always ask your nearest auto parts store. But based on your description, I think you have identified the problem. First check where the sensor plugs in. Second you could take the seat cushion apart and there may be a broken wire to fix. Or just install a new sensor. I doubt that the warning can be coded out. Coding is not meant to bypass broken safety systems. Taking the seat cushion apart is not that hard if you have any DIY skills. I did it on an Audi A4 last week.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 02:57 PM   #5
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by benne1dc View Post
I have 96,000 miles on it. I will definitely do that with the codes. When no one is sitting in the seat, it stays off and no malfunction comes up.
Keep in mind that as long as your car registers an error code for the pass seat airbag, the pass airbag may not deploy if needed. There are basically three components at play from your description...the seat mat, the sensor electronics and wiring. Because you said "when someone moves even a bit" the light may come on sorta indicates the mat that is sandwiched in the seat or possibly the wires going to it. The sensor electronics is looking for a certain resistance reading, if its an open or shorted circuit, you'll get an error msg.

However, the easiest thing to do is go move the passenger seat all the way forward, tilt the back towards the front of the car and crawl into the rear pass floor with a flashlight and look under the front seat. Not 100% sure of the location on the F25 but I know on other BMW's, that is where you will see the seat occupancy connector and control unit. It could be the connector is loose due to someones foot in the rear seat or a chafed wire, etc. Might as well take a look and even if all looks good, unplug the cable from the control unit and plug it back in. Be sure when doing anything with the airbag safety system that you first disconnect your battery.

Opie55 might be right in that many of the cheap scanners used by auto parts stores will not read restraint system codes but its worth doing anyway to see what codes, if any, do come up.

Attached Images

Appreciate 0