BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) 22MY ride quality

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #23
zer0cool
Second Lieutenant
93
Rep
299
Posts

Drives: X3M
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Carolina

iTrader: (0)

I am not saying the current car's suspension is totally bad; however it is a bit too stiff. Honestly I feel this is almost the perfect car if the suspension is just a little bit more comfortable.

Basically if BMW can slightly improve the suspension so that in comfort it's a little bit more forgiving, then I think we have the best sports SUV in the market.
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy185.50
      08-21-2021, 11:42 PM   #24
beammeupscottie
Captain
beammeupscottie's Avatar
United_States
819
Rep
998
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M Comp Alpine Wht / Sah
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beammeupscottie View Post
I have 2020 X3M Comp. rides just fine to me…I did switch to the Michelin tires as they seem more sticky….ride quality is always relative and everyone will evaluate it differently. One needs to test it out for themselves. I drive in sports plus always and it's perfect to me.
yea im getting michelins once these contis i have go

they suck i do not like them at all lol
Mine wore out in the rear at around 13k miles…the fronts around 16,800 miles. Tire Rack was back ordered on the fronts but found 2 in Washington state and I received them in 3 days. I think you'll find the cornering etc more sure footed with Michelin….
Appreciate 1
bSwiazzy185.50
      08-22-2021, 01:32 AM   #25
Klazu
Private First Class
151
Rep
170
Posts

Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Vancouver, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
It's not helpful to say things like "it's a sports car, it will ride rough" and the like. Yes, it is a sports car but has adaptive suspension and in 2021 buyers rightly expect a decent, livable ride IN COMFORT MODE. Other manufacturers are able to accomplish this.
+1

I also think that the original poster's question is totally fair and one I would also like to hear an answer to, instead of people bitching about someone asking the question. We have few 2020/2021 owners upgrading to the 2022, so I look forward to some firsthand reviews of the subject.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 03:15 AM   #26
6speed_M2
Captain
6speed_M2's Avatar
United_States
567
Rep
675
Posts

Drives: ///M2
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

This is a topic I'm curious about as a potential future buyer as well. I'm considering the X3M, M5 & M3.

Comfort isn't THE factor but it's a factor. Cars from Chevy and Cadillac all come with the mag ride suspension & they handle all driving modes with perfection. BMW needs to step up & take that aspect of the car to the next level. That's all it's missing. Also if the MSS set up is as good as it seems then at the very least we have a solution.

I know my three potential cars are all so different from one another but there's a part of me that connects with each one in a unique way & after a few test drives I'll figure it out which one suits me best.

I'm coming from an N55 M2 with M performance suspension. It's set on a comfort setting & the ride isn't terrible but it's definitely annoying after 4-5 years.
__________________
N54 135i 6MT (FBO, JB4 reflash, E30) sold
E90 M3 DCT (FBO, tuned) sold
Current: Performance Edition M2 6MT (FBO, tuned by Bend Calibration, E30-70)
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 04:13 AM   #27
stefan4
Colonel
United Kingdom
854
Rep
2,236
Posts

Drives: 340i on order
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: sheffield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
This is a topic I'm curious about as a potential future buyer as well. I'm considering the X3M, M5 & M3.

Comfort isn't THE factor but it's a factor. Cars from Chevy and Cadillac all come with the mag ride suspension & they handle all driving modes with perfection. BMW needs to step up & take that aspect of the car to the next level. That's all it's missing. Also if the MSS set up is as good as it seems then at the very least we have a solution.

I know my three potential cars are all so different from one another but there's a part of me that connects with each one in a unique way & after a few test drives I'll figure it out which one suits me best.

I'm coming from an N55 M2 with M performance suspension. It's set on a comfort setting & the ride isn't terrible but it's definitely annoying after 4-5 years.
That's quite a range of cars, I'd first think about what exactly it is your looking for from a car, an SUV is quite a different proposition from a sedan. Most, like me, are looking at the X3m as a more practical m3, certainly for me, it's the only reason to choose the X3m. But, the X3m dies a remarkable job of closing the gap in terms of ability, which leads to a very non-suv like ride, that's perfect fir me me, if I was looking for comfort I'd go m40i. If I didn't need the extra boot space for dogs, I'd never have sold my f80.
__________________
Current - X3m Comp

Gone but not forgotten - F80 m3 Comp, F30 340i, F30 - 320i
Appreciate 3
bSwiazzy185.50
6speed_M2566.50
HoJoRo305.00
      08-22-2021, 07:00 AM   #28
GoFastGoFish
Private First Class
GoFastGoFish's Avatar
112
Rep
105
Posts

Drives: 2021 X3MC , 2020 X5, 2021 JLU
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Pennsylvania

iTrader: (0)

It seems that its very much up to the driver's experiences to gauge the suspension. BMW has always seemed to ride "harder" than any other vehicle I have owned/drove. They also seem to stick to the ground at high speeds from the factory better than anything else in their classes.. at least to me. Whether it be the X5, 650xi , X3M , M4 , 440 , etc.. I think in my 21 X3MC, I still find my self much more comfortable with the H&R springs and driving in sport chassis 24/7 .. it feels better than comfort/stock to me.. again this is all perception based on "my" experiences..

I also feel like the seats are fantastic.. but again.. purely my opinion.

I have not driven a domestic car.. that even comes remotely close in handling from the factory especially at high speeds without significant aftermarket adjustments.. so to me that's the trade off.. but I didn't buy this good ole waste of money for luxury comfort.. I bought it for performance/fun/ to have something that is a little different.. maybe tote the dogs.. maybe some pier fishing.. who knows lol.. I also do not daily drive this thing.. so my opinions may completely stink
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2021, 07:52 AM   #29
FrankieNuo
First Lieutenant
FrankieNuo's Avatar
No_Country
509
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: F97 X3M Comp RR Velar HSE P380
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

I spend 4 hours driving my comp every single day and have absolutely no complaints.
Appreciate 3
6speed_M2566.50
HoJoRo305.00
      01-17-2022, 10:24 PM   #30
typer139
Registered
8
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M Comp
Join Date: Jan 2022
Location: Brentwood, CA

iTrader: (0)

Opinions are like Chocolate Starfish's

Okay.. so I have somewhat of an M car history and my wants and needs have changed over the years. When I was younger, I had fully built suspensions that were harsh as F, and on my daily driver. That was 20 years ago and yet I still want a higher level of performance than most people, but now want a more compliant suspension, or at least a setting for it. I've had my 2020 X3M for over 2 years now (on Michelins). On decent roads, I find it acceptable.. on any roads with ruts or lots of sharp expansion joints or transitions, I think it's a little too harsh, as does my family (hence the SUV and not an M3).

It's not fair to say that "it's an M car, so deal with the ride quality".. primarily because if you really were a hardcore M car person, you would scoff at the fact that there's ANY M SUV. It's sacrilege to some, so please don't wrap the M cars in with the M SUV's just because they share the same tuning division.

Second, if you're wanting a true M car and experience, don't buy an SUV, M or not. I've had a few of M "cars".. and agree that the primary buyer of the cars probably wants a more hardcore suspension and ride quality. But, in the world of SUV's, the target buyer probably is NOT the typical hardcore M buyer but someone who wants something with more practicality and the ability to go dust some muscle cars every now and again or do a little canyon carving. Virtually no one needs a track suspension on their M SUV, let's be honest. Enter the need for a more compliant suspension.

As others have mentioned, a magnetic-ride setup could mitigate the concerns of people questioning the harshness of the suspension, yet still deliver 99% of the performance most buyers would need. Set it up so it's teeth-rattling hard in its stiffest setting.

I couldn't agree more that the difference between "Comfort" mode and "Sport +" should be greater, in that comfort should be softer. I feel that in the X3M Comp the difference in suspension modes should be similar to those of the transmission modes. Is it livable?.. yes. Is it ideal?.. no. What's the drawback of having the softer end of the suspension setting more soft.. If you want it firmer, go for Sport+ and keep it there, but currently people that want it softer, don't have that option to make it noticeably softer.

You may be asking.. why didn't I buy an M40i or a standard X3M with the smaller wheels and taller tires? I drove both of those cars and I don't feel that I should give up ride quality to have more power. I could tangibly feel the difference in the non-Comp X3M. The M40i felt like a sporty SUV, questionably deserving of the M part of the M40i. BMW has options lists a mile long and yet I can't get an X3M with the most power and NOT the harshest suspension? I can choose a different sound system, or wood trim, cooled seats, or ACC, but not a different suspension? (asking for a friend). Could they make the standard X3M and the "Competition" be differentiated by the suspension and not power and badging?.. they could. I'd be perfectly happy with an X3M with 500+ horses and a softer suspension. There's a market for both those variants.

My X3M Comp is coming off lease in about 6 months and if the ride quality of the '22 isn't tangibly better (at least in comfort mode), I'll probably be getting an X5 M50i. Less sharp?.. definitely.. more comfortable when I'm not dusting muscle cars.. also, definitely.

Words from a middle aged BMW M owner/fan..

Rich Morgan
2020 X3M Comp, 2016 M4 Convertible (sold), 2013 750Li M-Sport (sold),
2013 JCW Mini Cooper Convertible (sold), 2006 Mini Cooper S (sold), 2005 Mini Cooper S Convertible (sold),
2003 M3 (sold)

Last edited by typer139; 01-17-2022 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: updating cars
Appreciate 7
95wildtt213.50
stein_325i20447.50
kzg19691005.50
JaeP60.00
      01-18-2022, 07:51 AM   #31
X3MCRN
Second Lieutenant
X3MCRN's Avatar
United_States
150
Rep
251
Posts

Drives: 2022 X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Mechanicville, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bSwiazzy View Post
i dont get why the ride quality is an issue...you are looking at a street legal racecar so its not going to be a comfortable ride to begin with

if ride quality matters to you then the M40i is the right car not the M imo
I swear, all the people who post on the forums had me anxious about getting my first m vehicle because of how shitty they made the ride sound like. I'm so glad that I found all those posts a bit exaggerated and dramatic.
__________________
2013 328i
2018 340i
2022 X3M Competition
Appreciate 2
      01-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #32
Ebrew$$
Enlisted Member
21
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: X3M
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Denver

iTrader: (0)

I agree
The ride is just fine , even with a family in the back seat
Appreciate 1
HoJoRo305.00
      01-18-2022, 08:04 AM   #33
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
1181
Rep
2,592
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I test drove the X3 M40i, the X5 M50i and the X3M base model (with options).

The X3 M40i was closer to what I had owned before (X4 M40i) great all-around-er but didn't feel special.

The X5 M50i was fast and smooth and incredibly well equipped but felt really big. Not floaty but certainly not tight handling, less so than a 2011 X5 50i that I had.

The X3M feels special. Fast when you want it to be, great sounding, lots of special M touches. It does sacrifice the ride a bit to achieve that "special" feel.
It's also a good value, with the base X3M coming in closer to the M40i than the X5. SO that's what I ended up with. And likely trading for an X3M LCI when my lease is up.
__________________
2020 X3M non-comp, Alpine White over black : Exec Pkg, ventilated M Sport seats, 20"s
2020 M2 Comp, Sunset Orange/Blk: Orange stitching, DCT, exec pkg, bicolor rims
Gone '18 M550i, '16 X4 M40i, '15 M5, '13 X3 35i, '12 335is, '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
Appreciate 1
HoJoRo305.00
      01-18-2022, 01:49 PM   #34
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
3424
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 22' X5 45e, 20' X3MC
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

I continue to see the argument that in order to handle well, the car has to ride poorly and overly stiff. That just isn't true any more. BMW is just lagging behind in their suspension innovations and tuning.
Appreciate 1
kzg19691005.50
      01-18-2022, 02:23 PM   #35
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
3087
Rep
2,677
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Too close to Santa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I continue to see the argument that in order to handle well, the car has to ride poorly and overly stiff. That just isn't true any more. BMW is just lagging behind in their suspension innovations and tuning.
The firm ride doesn't bother me. The only way to really address this is for BMW to go to a MagneRide setup but for whatever reason they have resisted that technology. Maybe they don't like doing business with Delphi?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 02:29 PM   #36
sittingmongoose
Captain
sittingmongoose's Avatar
United_States
385
Rep
809
Posts

Drives: 2021 x3mC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philly/Trenton Area

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I continue to see the argument that in order to handle well, the car has to ride poorly and overly stiff. That just isn't true any more. BMW is just lagging behind in their suspension innovations and tuning.
The firm ride doesn't bother me. The only way to really address this is for BMW to go to a MagneRide setup but for whatever reason they have resisted that technology. Maybe they don't like doing business with Delphi?
That is not the only way to address that issue. The m5 cs has a very smooth ride and doesn't need a mag suspension system or air suspension.
__________________
21 x3mC
Previous:
08 e90 M3, 02 e46 M3,2011 335is, 2016 AYM M3
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 05:59 PM   #37
STi from DSM
Private First Class
STi from DSM's Avatar
United_States
83
Rep
156
Posts

Drives: 2019 Audi RS5 Sportback
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Champlin MN

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
If people think this ride is harsh, try riding in an STi. I think the ride is a bit stiff, even in comfort, but that would be like complaining about the gas mileage, lol.
__________________
2019 Audi RS5 (Mythos Black)
2020 BMW X3M Competition SOLD
2019 Audi RS3 - Mythos Black - SOLD
2018 STi Type RA #391/500 - SOLD
2018 Audi RS3 - Nardo Gray - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 01:18 AM   #38
M3Pilot09
First Lieutenant
M3Pilot09's Avatar
United_States
333
Rep
354
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (1)

Not to be rude, but why does this stupid conversation about ride quality persist. If you want comfort get a Lexus. I don't
understand why people look at M cars and complain about the ride.

I had a 2020 X3M non comp with Contis and it was fine. I have a 2021 X3MC with Contis and it's fine. I am perplex why people complain about the stiffness or whatever around the ride quality.
Appreciate 2
      01-19-2022, 05:42 AM   #39
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
3424
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 22' X5 45e, 20' X3MC
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Pilot09 View Post
Not to be rude, but why does this stupid conversation about ride quality persist. If you want comfort get a Lexus. I don't
understand why people look at M cars and complain about the ride.

I had a 2020 X3M non comp with Contis and it was fine. I have a 2021 X3MC with Contis and it's fine. I am perplex why people complain about the stiffness or whatever around the ride quality.
Again this is a straw man argument….as if the only choices are bone crushingly stiff or Lexus soft. Modern performance cars have the ability to handle, yet be livable on the street (read: still sporty) IF the manufacturer has the proper suspension development and technology. All BMW did with the X3M is put sticky tires on an oversprung suspension. They've been using the same basic electronic shock for over a decade. And that's disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:25 AM   #40
heavyD^2
Colonel
heavyD^2's Avatar
Canada
3087
Rep
2,677
Posts

Drives: X3M Competition
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Too close to Santa

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Again this is a straw man argument….as if the only choices are bone crushingly stiff or Lexus soft. Modern performance cars have the ability to handle, yet be livable on the street (read: still sporty) IF the manufacturer has the proper suspension development and technology. All BMW did with the X3M is put sticky tires on an oversprung suspension. They've been using the same basic electronic shock for over a decade. And that's disappointing.
Mine isn't bone crushingly stiff. It's firm but it feels solid even on rough roads. BMW doesn't force anyone to buy an X3/4M. If you don't like a firm ride it's not for you. End of story. Buying one and complaining about it after draws light to the fact that you made a mistake, not BMW.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 02:57 PM   #41
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
1181
Rep
2,592
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Mine isn't bone crushingly stiff. It's firm but it feels solid even on rough roads. BMW doesn't force anyone to buy an X3/4M. If you don't like a firm ride it's not for you. End of story. Buying one and complaining about it after draws light to the fact that you made a mistake, not BMW.
On bad roads it can be quite jarring, even in my non-comp with Michelin 20s and the SW upgrade. A little more compliance on bad pavement wouldn't be a bad thing and they can do it without sacrificing the "///M" feel.

PS: Few if any buy it for track days especially since BMW CCA puts X models in the "baby pool" group on track, so why not allow comfort mode to be comfort mode?
__________________
2020 X3M non-comp, Alpine White over black : Exec Pkg, ventilated M Sport seats, 20"s
2020 M2 Comp, Sunset Orange/Blk: Orange stitching, DCT, exec pkg, bicolor rims
Gone '18 M550i, '16 X4 M40i, '15 M5, '13 X3 35i, '12 335is, '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 04:09 PM   #42
sen_nyc
New Member
8
Rep
19
Posts

Drives: 335ix
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Mine isn't bone crushingly stiff. It's firm but it feels solid even on rough roads. BMW doesn't force anyone to buy an X3/4M. If you don't like a firm ride it's not for you. End of story. Buying one and complaining about it after draws light to the fact that you made a mistake, not BMW.
Porshe can make a suv with amazing handling when needed and comfortable ride with a push of a button.

And its a freaking SUV not a sports car that you take to the track evey weekend. So ride thats way too firm its BMW mistake and every motorsport jurnalist that reviews X3m confirms it.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 06:03 PM   #43
allinon72
Brigadier General
allinon72's Avatar
United_States
3424
Rep
3,094
Posts

Drives: 22' X5 45e, 20' X3MC
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Indianapolis, IN

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen_nyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Mine isn't bone crushingly stiff. It's firm but it feels solid even on rough roads. BMW doesn't force anyone to buy an X3/4M. If you don't like a firm ride it's not for you. End of story. Buying one and complaining about it after draws light to the fact that you made a mistake, not BMW.
Porshe can make a suv with amazing handling when needed and comfortable ride with a push of a button.

And its a freaking SUV not a sports car that you take to the track evey weekend. So ride thats way too firm its BMW mistake and every motorsport jurnalist that reviews X3m confirms it.
And it's not just the X3M. The X5M and even the F90 M5 was lit up by journalists for overly harsh rides. BMW is just getting a little lazy in the tuning department, and they know it because every model known for a harsh ride has gotten software updates to mitigate it. Unfortunately there's only so much you can do with software.

I'm not trying to hate on BMW or the X3M particularly, I'm just a realist. I would like to see BMW go back to focusing on creating world class suspensions.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:23 PM   #44
MadMann
Registered
6
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: ‘22 BMW X3M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I have a ‘22 X3MC with 2200 miles i put on it. I traded in a 2019 X3 M40i. I don’t notice any difference in ride quality between the two. Drove the M40i in sport mode as I do the X3MC. I don’t see the point in comfort mode.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST