BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
XBimmers | BMW X3 Forum BMW X3/X4 Forums BMW X3M (F97) and X4M (F98) General Forum (2018+) LCI Blendmount MirrorTap

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

LCI Blendmount MirrorTap

I had my previous car, a 2019 Audi SQ5, configured with the Blendmount MirrorTap wire for my Escort Max 360 radar detector at a car shop near me.

I just brought my LCI X4MC to the same shop, and they said they were unable to setup the MirrorTap on the X4.

Has anyone had any luck with using the Blendmount MirrorTap wire on the X3M/X4M LCI?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 03:15 PM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
danniexi's Avatar
No_Country
2278
Rep
4,011
Posts

Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883030

bottom (black connector): red to red. black to brown.

credit to denniss
__________________
BMW MY22 F97 X3MC LCI - CURRENT BUILD THREAD
BMW MY16 F80 M3 - GONE
BMW MY08 E92 335XI - GONE
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 1
denniss350.00
      01-19-2022, 03:28 PM   #3
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1883030

bottom (black connector): red to red. black to brown.

credit to denniss
Thank you!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 11:46 AM   #4
Derek.H
Private First Class
51
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: Porsche Cayenne
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

I have it on my x3m. It should be the same for x4m, not sure why they couldn’t do it
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

The install looks pretty straight forward, but I am still nervous to do this myself. I am a pretty handy person around the house, and I have installed a full JB4 on my 2019 Audi SQ5 and on a 2013 BMW 328i.

You think this is something I should be able to do myself or should I bring it to a shop?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 12:52 PM   #6
denniss
Captain
denniss's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
The install looks pretty straight forward, but I am still nervous to do this myself. I am a pretty handy person around the house, and I have installed a full JB4 on my 2019 Audi SQ5 and on a 2013 BMW 328i.

You think this is something I should be able to do myself or should I bring it to a shop?
i would trust my self more than i would any shop. i did it in 20min (entire thing)
__________________

2022 x4mc
2019 X5 40i M-Sport (gone)
2016 X5 35i M-Sport (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:13 PM   #7
Derek.H
Private First Class
51
Rep
190
Posts

Drives: Porsche Cayenne
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
The install looks pretty straight forward, but I am still nervous to do this myself. I am a pretty handy person around the house, and I have installed a full JB4 on my 2019 Audi SQ5 and on a 2013 BMW 328i.

You think this is something I should be able to do myself or should I bring it to a shop?
It pretty simple to do it yourself but just make sure the hard wire you bought fits with the mirror tap. The first one I bought did not fit but the second did fit. For some reason they made the new model with slimmer fitment on the mirror tap power source.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:20 PM   #8
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Ok, you both convinced me to attempt this on my own.

Do I need to disconnect the battery or anything like that before I begin?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:54 PM   #9
danniexi
Brigadier General
danniexi's Avatar
No_Country
2278
Rep
4,011
Posts

Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Ok, you both convinced me to attempt this on my own.

Do I need to disconnect the battery or anything like that before I begin?
no just go for it.

do what I did, remove the black housing, break a few plastic clips in the process, tap pins, and you're done.
__________________
BMW MY22 F97 X3MC LCI - CURRENT BUILD THREAD
BMW MY16 F80 M3 - GONE
BMW MY08 E92 335XI - GONE
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 01:58 PM   #10
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
no just go for it.

do what I did, remove the black housing, break a few plastic clips in the process, tap pins, and you're done.
I went for it but had no idea how to remove the plastic housing. The video that was posted in a different post was for the 2019 model, and they changed the housing in the LCI.

Any instructions on how to remove it without breaking anything?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #11
danniexi
Brigadier General
danniexi's Avatar
No_Country
2278
Rep
4,011
Posts

Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
I went for it but had no idea how to remove the plastic housing. The video that was posted in a different post was for the 2019 model, and they changed the housing in the LCI.

Any instructions on how to remove it without breaking anything?
I just pulled it down and broke one or two clips on the way.
__________________
BMW MY22 F97 X3MC LCI - CURRENT BUILD THREAD
BMW MY16 F80 M3 - GONE
BMW MY08 E92 335XI - GONE
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2022, 02:47 PM   #12
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
I went for it but had no idea how to remove the plastic housing. The video that was posted in a different post was for the 2019 model, and they changed the housing in the LCI.

Any instructions on how to remove it without breaking anything?
I just pulled it down and broke one or two clips on the way.
Success! Pulling down the outer cover was east. The hardest part was pulling apart those two plastic parts around the mirror. I did break 2 plastic pins in the process, but it still locked shut when I put it back together. Hopefully no rattles when I drive home from work!

Special thanks to you both for the help and information!

Here are some pics of the completed project.
Attached Images
    
Appreciate 1
denniss350.00
      01-21-2022, 07:02 AM   #13
danniexi
Brigadier General
danniexi's Avatar
No_Country
2278
Rep
4,011
Posts

Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ/NY

iTrader: (15)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
I did break 2 plastic pins in the process.
my man. well done
__________________
BMW MY22 F97 X3MC LCI - CURRENT BUILD THREAD
BMW MY16 F80 M3 - GONE
BMW MY08 E92 335XI - GONE
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 08:33 AM   #14
denniss
Captain
denniss's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Success! Pulling down the outer cover was east. The hardest part was pulling apart those two plastic parts around the mirror. I did break 2 plastic pins in the process, but it still locked shut when I put it back together. Hopefully no rattles when I drive home from work!

Special thanks to you both for the help and information!

Here are some pics of the completed project.
good job. couple of observation suggestions.

1. i would tuck away that wire a bit better you can use the whole where mirror comes out so you see it less.
2. i see you have a phone holder that is connected to the air vent, be very careful with those. my wife was sitting down one day and she knocked it out with her bag, broke the went. it's a $1000 replacement. thankfully i am a bit handy so i was able to glue it back together.

otherwise great job!
__________________

2022 x4mc
2019 X5 40i M-Sport (gone)
2016 X5 35i M-Sport (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:00 AM   #15
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
good job. couple of observation suggestions.

1. i would tuck away that wire a bit better you can use the whole where mirror comes out so you see it less.
2. i see you have a phone holder that is connected to the air vent, be very careful with those. my wife was sitting down one day and she knocked it out with her bag, broke the went. it's a $1000 replacement. thankfully i am a bit handy so i was able to glue it back together.

otherwise great job!
Thanks! I'll take at tidying it up over the weekend.

Any suggestions on a good phone mount that isn't a windshield mount?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 11:02 AM   #16
denniss
Captain
denniss's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Thanks! I'll take at tidying it up over the weekend.

Any suggestions on a good phone mount that isn't a windshield mount?
i am looking for one my self. i just dont trust the flimsy vent anymore.
__________________

2022 x4mc
2019 X5 40i M-Sport (gone)
2016 X5 35i M-Sport (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:47 PM   #17
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
i am looking for one my self. i just dont trust the flimsy vent anymore.
This is the vent mount that I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a support arm to not put all the weight on the vent. It definitely feels sturdy.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #18
denniss
Captain
denniss's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
This is the vent mount that I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a support arm to not put all the weight on the vent. It definitely feels sturdy.
ordered, will test it out tomorrow.

does it light up at night ?
__________________

2022 x4mc
2019 X5 40i M-Sport (gone)
2016 X5 35i M-Sport (gone)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #19
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
ordered, will test it out tomorrow.

does it light up at night ?
There are lights on the side that turn on when your using the dock and its charging your phone.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #20
jspiegel
Enlisted Member
35
Rep
49
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4 M Competition
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: New York, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denniss View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Success! Pulling down the outer cover was east. The hardest part was pulling apart those two plastic parts around the mirror. I did break 2 plastic pins in the process, but it still locked shut when I put it back together. Hopefully no rattles when I drive home from work!

Special thanks to you both for the help and information!

Here are some pics of the completed project.
good job. couple of observation suggestions.

1. i would tuck away that wire a bit better you can use the whole where mirror comes out so you see it less.
2. i see you have a phone holder that is connected to the air vent, be very careful with those. my wife was sitting down one day and she knocked it out with her bag, broke the went. it's a $1000 replacement. thankfully i am a bit handy so i was able to glue it back together.

otherwise great job!
Took your advice and snaked the cable through the mirror arm hole. Looks so much cleaner!
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 11:09 AM   #21
denniss
Captain
denniss's Avatar
United_States
350
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: 2022 BMW X4M Comp
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspiegel View Post
Took your advice and snaked the cable through the mirror arm hole. Looks so much cleaner!
yup, love it!!! btw started to use the phone mount you recommend. i like it much better over what i had. so thank you for that.
__________________

2022 x4mc
2019 X5 40i M-Sport (gone)
2016 X5 35i M-Sport (gone)
Appreciate 2
thestimp389.50
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST