BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-16-2022, 01:42 PM   #1
TylerDZHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06' 330ci ZHP 6spd, 17' X3 35i

DIY - Replace LCD Panel for CID (Central Information Display) Explanation Video

I posted about this in the "What Did You Do for your X3 Today" thread and got around to making the DIY explanation video today. I didn't feel like taking everything apart again, mainly the stupid video cable is a pain to remove and its cold, but I think it gets the point across.

My display started exhibiting major problems on December 22nd after being fine 2 days prior. After looking at options and verifying the part number I had, I was able to find that you can order the same Sharp LCD panel for a fraction of the cost of a new "used" replacement CID assembly. This replacement cost me $88 USD for parts plus $46 shipping from China. I ended up with an awesome upgrade because my previous screen was scratched and the anti-glare coating was failing in places.

Behavior video of screen failure - https://youtu.be/9yHTXtseu3I

DIY video explanation (part number and link included in description) - https://youtu.be/W4xbJapCsdE

General steps, note this is for an Alpine AL2566 display with the 1 central purple cable connection, it's possible the same screen is used for other units - This was for a 2017 X3 with apple Carplay capability (NBT EVO iirc)

1) Remove trim panel with AC vents and Start Button by gently prying from the bottom with a nylon trim tool if needed to loosen and pulling the panel straight out.
2) Unscrew the 2, T20 Torx screws from the bottom left and right of display housing
3) Unplug the purple connector (the worst part of the DIY). There is a tab on the side to push in and it takes a lot of force and wiggling to pull it off the back of the display.
4) Separate the black trim piece from the display assembly by gently prying the side and bottom black tabs up over the short metal posts
5) unscrew the phillips screw next to the connector holding the LCD panel and circuit board assembly
4) Remove the circuit board from the flexible metal brackets on the back of the LCD panel
5) Disconnect the small and large ribbon cables connecting the LCD panel to the circuit board that has the connection by lifting up the locking black flaps
6) Move over the 4 sticky pads from the old LCD panel to the new one.
7) Connect the new LCD panel to the circuit board through the small and large ribbon cables. Make sure the ribbon cables are fully seated and the tabs on the cables match up with the indentations on the connectors before locking the cables in place.
8) Attach the circuit board to the back of the LCD panel into the metal brackets and assemble the display housing.
7) Install it back into the car in the reverse of removal.
8) If you get a message on the display saying "no signal" or something similar, do a system reset by pressing and holding the volume knob for ~30 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
sherifhagras
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hello
Would you please tell me full style of the place where you purchased your CID
Thanks
Sherif Hagras
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 07:16 PM   #3
cbrino
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 x3 2.8

screen not work

Hi can you tell me if the fan control and radio worked or did not work or was it only the LCD screen that did not work ??
Appreciate 0