BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #199
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Kavalan makes excellent whisk(e)y.
I second this. My in-laws are from Taiwan and I was able to visit the distally last year. The 'tour' of the distillery for wasn't much to write home about, but the tasting area was AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-mazing.
Attached Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb762 View Post
this might just be the alcohol talking, but I love you man...
Appreciate 3
Salty Dog3572.50
Da808dad444.00
Red Bread4462.00
      03-27-2020, 08:41 AM   #200
jamesinaz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 2017 540i

Garage List
Awesome pics of tasting. Next time I travel thru TPE I really need to leave the airport and explore Taiwan. Especially now that my nephew married a young woman from there. Though having met her family they won't be much help as they speak zero english and as a typical American I speak only english.
Appreciate 1
      03-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #201
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesinaz View Post
Awesome pics of tasting. Next time I travel thru TPE I really need to leave the airport and explore Taiwan. Especially now that my nephew married a young woman from there. Though having met her family they won't be much help as they speak zero english and as a typical American I speak only english.
Taiwan is amazing! We made a day out of the trip to the distillery, because it's about 25ish miles south of Taipei, but the trip takes longer than you'd expect.

I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten at this place called Wu's Harbour Cuisine before we went to the distillery. Same county as the Kavalan distillery, about 30-45min away.

If you any bit of a foodie, Taiwan is a great vacation/adventure spot. We eat like royalty each time we go.
Quote:
Appreciate 1
jamesinaz1627.00
      03-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #202
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Wow never knew Taiwanese whiskey was popular. Pretty cool. There’s a Concertmaster for $82 at Total Wine. Not a lot of ratings though.

For $60-80, what’s the best choice from the ones below?
1. Aberlour A’bunadh (tasted before and was good)
2. Whistlepig Straight Rye 10 yr
3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr
5. Balvenie 12 yr double wood
6. High West Rendevouz (tasted before and was good as well)

I do enjoy rye and have a few bottles right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2020, 02:51 PM   #203
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Taiwan is amazing! We made a day out of the trip to the distillery, because it's about 25ish miles south of Taipei, but the trip takes longer than you'd expect.

I had one of the best meals I've ever eaten at this place called Wu's Harbour Cuisine before we went to the distillery. Same county as the Kavalan distillery, about 30-45min away.

If you any bit of a foodie, Taiwan is a great vacation/adventure spot. We eat like royalty each time we go.
Brother went there for a week and loved it. Would have loved to explore Taiwan or Korea in addition to Laos and Vietnam this March but had to cancel due to Covid19. Hopefully later this year. Looking forward to Scotland and whisky taste there as well.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2020, 06:38 AM   #204
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW F22 View Post
Wow never knew Taiwanese whiskey was popular. Pretty cool. There’s a Concertmaster for $82 at Total Wine. Not a lot of ratings though.

3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr

That's a difficult thing to answer. These are all decent whisk(e)y and I frankly have just about all of them in my collection. My favourite is probably the Aberlour A'bunadh though.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #205
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:

3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr

These are all completely different... Abundah is cask strength and will be very strong 60% or above, HP12 is a peaty scotch, Balvenie DW12 is extremely light, some of the others are bourbons... its not really a 1 for 1.
Appreciate 1
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-28-2020, 10:58 AM   #206
TomHudson
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

I’ve made disinfection wipes for the scotch lover.

I have Dalwhinnie 15 year old and 17 Balvenie.

I tried the lagavulin, but too peaty...

For the Audi driver, I have a batch of blends...
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
Salty Dog3572.50
      03-28-2020, 11:02 AM   #207
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:

3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr

All good options in their own way, and a wide variety of tastes. #1 or #4 would be my choices (but around here, the Aberlour is pushing $100 IIRC). Aberlour is a complex sherried taste; Oban is a smokier but less 'harsh' Islay. Balvenie or the HP12 if you aren't as into the smoke/peat. Have to note that I'm not enough into rye/bourbon to spend this money - the cask-strength versions from Wild Turkey, Knob C. or Bulleit are about as fancy as I ever get with those.

Perhaps worth considering, not real pricey: Bunnahabain, Bruichladdich (lots of variations, including un-peated), Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie (esp Quinta Ruban but lots of different finishes), Talisker 10 (not Storm). Assuming from the initial Asian interest that you aren't as into the high-peat like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin. The Quinta Ruban might be my top pick if you are looking for s/t with complex connoisseur flavors - to me it was quite unique and didn't readily map onto the typical scotch flavor spectrums. If you aren't careful, in 6 months you'll have caught the bug and will just be trying s/t different every week
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #208
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
All good options in their own way, and a wide variety of tastes. #1 or #4 would be my choices (but around here, the Aberlour is pushing $100 IIRC). Aberlour is a complex sherried taste; Oban is a smokier but less 'harsh' Islay. Balvenie or the HP12 if you aren't as into the smoke/peat. Have to note that I'm not enough into rye/bourbon to spend this money - the cask-strength versions from Wild Turkey, Knob C. or Bulleit are about as fancy as I ever get with those.

Perhaps worth considering, not real pricey: Bunnahabain, Bruichladdich (lots of variations, including un-peated), Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie (esp Quinta Ruban but lots of different finishes), Talisker 10 (not Storm). Assuming from the initial Asian interest that you aren't as into the high-peat like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin. The Quinta Ruban might be my top pick if you are looking for s/t with complex connoisseur flavors - to me it was quite unique and didn't readily map onto the typical scotch flavor spectrums. If you aren't careful, in 6 months you'll have caught the bug and will just be trying s/t different every week
I had some of the ones you mentioned in the cart but removed them. Narrowed down to those 6. I have some Bulleit and Templeton rye that I like. Got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and wasn’t a fan at first but now it’s not bad. I know what you mean about catching the bug. All of a sudden I developed a taste for whiskey in November and been drinking it here and there since. The past month I’ve bought about 8 bottles and drinking from them every day. Been looking to buy more but trying to control myself. 😆
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      03-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #209
WhiskyPat12
Reclaiming My Time!
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

3. Highland Park 12 yr
4. Oban 14 yr

I'll second Quinta Ruban, one of my favs and not a pain in the wallet!
Quote:
Appreciate 1
Maynard3804.50
      03-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #210
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
On my last trip to the liquor store (most recent? hate to sound morbid) I found a Lagavulin special - the Offerman Edition 11yo. Should make for some quality social isolation time. Also got some Bulleit Barrel Proof 'cause I was almost out of the Knob Creek. Assuming they are about to shutter the entire state this weekend, so it seemed prudent to make one last run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
Kavalan makes excellent whisk(e)y. But they are all really a matter of personal taste. I used to work with this woman at the Centre of Forensic Sciences, Ph.D Forensic scientist. She loved J&B.....who am I to judge.
You don't need good taste to get a PhD you know.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 06:24 PM   #211
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
You don't need good taste to get a PhD you know.
Sorry, Charlie.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:31 PM   #212
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Had Jonnie Walker Blue, Green, Double Black and Black last night.

Blue is great, but Green and Double are good value.
      03-31-2020, 09:34 PM   #213
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Had Jonnie Walker Blue, Green, Double Black and Black last night.

Blue is great, but Green and Double are good value.
How does JW taste compared to other whiskeys listed here? Had it when I was younger but hated whiskey then.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 09:41 PM   #214
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Quote:
How does JW taste compared to other whiskeys listed here? Had it when I was younger but hated whiskey then.
Hibiki blends tastes okay to me. I don't think it's good value though. Ultimately it depends on what you like. Flavor, notes, spice, etc.

What do you like?
      03-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #215
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
Hibiki blends tastes okay to me. I don't think it's good value though. Ultimately it depends on what you like. Flavor, notes, spice, etc.

What do you like?
So far I like Glenlivet 12 and Templeton Rye a lot. Redbreast can be good depending on what time of day I drink it. Also starting to like Lagavulin 16. Monkey Shoulder and Elijah Craig are just okay now. Don’t know if I would buy those again.
Appreciate 1
Flying Ace4982.50
      04-01-2020, 04:03 PM   #216
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So far I like Glenlivet 12 and Templeton Rye a lot. Redbreast can be good depending on what time of day I drink it. Also starting to like Lagavulin 16. Monkey Shoulder and Elijah Craig are just okay now. Don’t know if I would buy those again.
That is an interesting set... pretty much all different. Hard to determine what you actually like from that list, just that you probably don't like Irish and have already grown out of crappy blends.

Anything else you know you like?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 04:18 PM   #217
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is an interesting set... pretty much all different. Hard to determine what you actually like from that list, just that you probably don't like Irish and have already grown out of crappy blends.

Anything else you know you like?
You read that correctly. Irish is cleaner tasting to me but not a lot of texture/complexity. The blends that used to be good to me are now just okay. I definitely don’t mind trying another Irish though.

I haven’t tried many others. I’ve had High West Mid Summers Night Dram and Rendevouz which I liked. Also liked Macallan 12 and 18 (the 18 was very nice) and Chivas Regal 12 and 18 which I also liked. Of course those were all 3-5 months ago before I started drinking more whiskey in the last month with shelter in place and developed my tastebuds and preferences.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #218
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
You read that correctly. Irish is cleaner tasting to me but not a lot of texture/complexity. The blends that used to be good to me are now just okay. I definitely don’t mind trying another Irish though.

I haven’t tried many others. I’ve had High West Mid Summers Night Dram and Rendevouz which I liked. Also liked Macallan 12 and 18 (the 18 was very nice) and Chivas Regal 12 and 18 which I also liked. Of course those were all 3-5 months ago before I started drinking more whiskey in the last month with shelter in place and developed my tastebuds and preferences.
IF you want another good Irish option to try I would suggest Yellow Spot. It is probably my favorite Irish and I am also not the biggest Irish fan (Redbreast 12 and Redbreast 12 CS were both just OK to me and I have not liked others like Writers Tears or Teeling)

The Highwest MWND and Rendevouz are both Ryes, which are still different from anything else you listed. I am a big rye fan myself so my suggestions on that front would be Pikesville, Willet 4yr, Angels Envy Finsished Rye, EHT Rye, Michters Rye. For non-ryes I would suggest Makers Mark RC6, Early Times BiB, Makers Mark CS, Michters American Whiskey, Hancock Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, and probably a few others not on the tip of my mind.

Last edited by Hawkeye; 04-02-2020 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 11:53 AM   #219
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
IF you want another good Irish option to try I would suggest Yellow Spot. It is probably my favorite Irish and I am also not the biggest Irish fan (Redbreast 12 and Redbreast 12 CS were both just OK to me and I have not liked others like Writers Tears or Teeling)

The Highwest MWND and Rendevouz are both Ryes, which are still different from anything else you listed. I am a big rye fan myself so my suggestions on that front would be Pikesville, Willet 4yr, Angels Envy Finsished Rye, EHT Rye, Michters Rye. For non-ryes I would suggest Makers Mark RC6, Early Times BiB, Makers Mark CS, Michters American Whiskey, Hancock Reserve, Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, and probably a few others not on the tip of my mind.
I was thinking of trying Green Spot as it’s more affordable. Running out of rye so about time to stock up on it. Will try one of the ones you suggested. Thoughts on Whistlepig Rye?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 12:25 PM   #220
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Try the green spot first I think I like it better than yellow, have both and also prefer to redbreast 12 or 15 which also have. Costco generally has it also.
Appreciate 0