BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #23
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I tried self parking in a perpendicular spot between two parked cars. Worked, but the car took quite a few moves to get in. I was worried at some points that it was going to hit the next car
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #24
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I haven't tried Launch Control yet, but was wondering in principle, whether it's significantly different to just holding down the brake pedal with left foot, building up revs, and then releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator?

I ask because it seems to take a few steps to activate LC, so I could be caught short if having to do a drag with someone from the lights!

I miss being able to ride the clutch on manuals
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #25
suby01
Cowboy Astronaut Millionaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
I haven't tried Launch Control yet, but was wondering in principle, whether it's significantly different to just holding down the brake pedal with left foot, building up revs, and then releasing the brake and pressing the accelerator?

I ask because it seems to take a few steps to activate LC, so I could be caught short if having to do a drag with someone from the lights!

I miss being able to ride the clutch on manuals
Yes you are talking about brake boost. That is totally different than the automatic car controlled Launch Control. In theory it should be the same, but its not, try both you will see how different it is.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:58 PM   #26
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by satz View Post
I tried self parking in a perpendicular spot between two parked cars. Worked, but the car took quite a few moves to get in. I was worried at some points that it was going to hit the next car
I have some of the same feeling when I tried to parallel park today. My X3 cuts so close to the car it will park behind as it tries to back up. I've tried this a couple times, and it seems like it gets within 6 inches of the parked front car as it is going into the space. One time my rear tires backed into the curb (too tight of a turn). I don't know if this is an "calibration" issue or it is expected to work that way. But if it is the way intended, it's awfully nerve-racking.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 10:05 PM   #27
b.guggenmos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M40I Phytonic Blue

I let mine parallel park once in an area where I had nobody coming up behind me and I did not have to hurry. It seemed like it was getting very close on the R/F corner but I trusted the system and it put it in a spot I never could have. I was impressed! I do not have the opportunity to use it very often or I would.

I have only tried launch control once. It did not seem much different to me than just holding the brake? I need to try it again. I am a drag racer with a mid 10 second car so I do know launching. The X3M40I is my daily driver.
1965 Comet Cyclone 289 4 Speed
1932 Ford Five Window Coupe
Appreciate 0