BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 & G01

X3 Match UP 7BMW

My X3 30i came with Hifi option, 676A so I’m able to swap the amp with Match 7BMW amp. During installation, I found out the connector need to be modify in order to fit the harness and bracket also need to modify too. What a PITA.

Once done, the installation took less than 15 mins. Downloaded the standard profile for SUV from Fischer Audiotech, do a quick listening test. The sound is quite underwhelming with standard profile. Next I take a measuring tape and measure the actual distance from each speaker and update the settings. Wow, what a big difference. After the delay setting, the stereo effect is really good and the vocal is dead center at the driver seat.

Next I try to do a quick EQ using REW and found out there is no AUX port!!! It’s quite late to try other method and do a quick EQ by ear and make some changes to the electronic crossover. Bass does sound much better compare to stock amp. In fact, I feel the speakers come with Hifi option is pretty good. Make me think twice if I should swap out the speakers with Scanspeak speakers.

This would be a 3 stage upgrade. My next step is to install a 12” JBL WS1200 with Rockford Fosgate RDX500 amp under the trunk. Last step would be upgrading the speakers with scanspeak discovery mid and revelator tweeter.

Update 1.
Done more thorough listening test today. The sound does open up and very good separation. I'm comparing the sound system to my another car, BMW F10 with Top Hifi. If I can choose again, I would get Hifi Option and upgrade the amp. It's miles better than my L7 Hifi system. Bass is really good from the underseat woofer. Just don't expect deep thumping sound but I feel it's better define and not muddy compare to Top Hifi.

Uploaded tuning file
Please rename the file extension from PDF to afpx.

Update 2. Trunk Subwoofer Added
Done adding JBL Club WS1200 subwoofer in custom 0.75 cuft sealed enclosure. The sub is driven by Rockford Fosgate RD500X with 500W of power at 2 ohm. Power wiring is 4 gauge with 120A fuse. Give it a quick listening by setting the subwoofer crossover at 80hz and change the underseat sub to cover from 80hz to 180hz, the bass sound deeper and with more tactile feel. With the volume turn up to 75%, the rear view mirror is vibrating with heavy bass. Will do the tuning tomorrow.

Update 3. New tuning file using REW RTA
Done individual speakers tuning using REW RTA and UMIK-1 CSL calibrated mic. The music is very balance compare to generic file for SUV. Please note that the tuning file is only for BMW HIFI stock speakers and underseat sub. The tuning file include trunk sub so if you don't have it, please mute channel H (RCA out) and change the High Pass filter for Subwoofer 1 and Subwoofer 2 to 50hz. Remember to rename BMW G01 Custom.pdf to BMW G01 Custom.afpx

Update 4. Install Scan Speak Tweeter and Midrange speakers
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=47

Update 5. Install GRS B200-2 underseat subwoofer
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=51
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW G01 Custom.pdf (2.7 KB, 1411 views)
File Type: pdf BMW G01 ScanSpeak Custom H.afpx.pdf (2.8 KB, 419 views)

Last edited by pierreye; 08-26-2021 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Uploaded tuning file
Appreciate 7
sinbad4779.50
Rbrown2758.00
MarkyM381.50
ando1954.50
SROC31701.00
      12-01-2018, 06:30 PM   #2
MarkyM
Major
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierreye View Post
My X3 30i came with Hifi option, 676A so I'm able to swap the amp with Match 7BMW amp. During installation, I found out the connector need to be modify in order to fit the harness and bracket also need to modify too. What a PITA.

Once done, the installation took less than 15 mins. Downloaded the standard profile for SUV from Fischer Audiotech, do a quick listening test. The sound is quite underwhelming with standard profile. Next I take a measuring tape and measure the actual distance from each speaker and update the settings. Wow, what a big difference. After the delay setting, the stereo effect is really good and the vocal is dead center at the driver seat.

Next I try to do a quick EQ using REW and found out there is no AUX port!!! It's quite late to try other method and do a quick EQ by ear and make some changes to the electronic crossover. Bass does sound much better compare to stock amp. In fact, I feel the speakers come with Hifi option is pretty good. Make me think twice if I should swap out the speakers with Scanspeak speakers.

This would be a 3 stage upgrade. My next step is to install a 12" JBL WS1200 with Rockford Fosgate RDX500 amp under the trunk. Last step would be upgrading the speakers with scanspeak discovery mid and revelator tweeter.

Update 1.
Done more thorough listening test today. The sound does open up and very good separation. I'm comparing the sound system to my another car, BMW F10 with Top Hifi. If I can choose again, I would get Hifi Option and upgrade the amp. It's miles better than my L7 Hifi system. Bass is really good from the underseat woofer. Just don't expect deep thumping sound but I feel it's better define and not muddy compare to Top Hifi.
Thanks for write up, looks impressive

Would you mind sharing you sound file pease?

A mate has one of these in a 640 he's giving back and said I could have but wouldn't know where to start? He's just running the standard coupe file

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:23 AM   #3
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Just uploaded the file. Remember to rename the file extension from pdf to afpx. Let me know what you think. I'm going to do a more thorough tuning when I had time to play with it.

The tuning file is modify from standard SUV profile. I measure the speaker location to driver seat (RHD), change the 4" speaker crossover from 125hz to 150hz with 24db/oct slope cause I think the tiny 4" speaker wouldn't play that low without distortion, change the subwoofer high pass to 30hz 24db/oct slope and increase the subwoofer gain by 6db. Also, reduce treble from 5khz to 20khz with shelf filter by 3db.

Last edited by pierreye; 12-02-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
MarkyM381.50
      12-02-2018, 05:35 AM   #4
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Just uploaded the file. Remember to rename the file extension from pdf to afpx. Let me know what you think. I'm going to do a more thorough tuning when I had time to play with it.

The tuning file is modify from standard SUV profile. I measure the speaker location to driver seat (RHD), change the 4" speaker crossover from 125hz to 150hz with 24db/oct slope cause I think the tiny 4" speaker wouldn't play that low without distortion, change the subwoofer high pass to 30hz 24db/oct slope and increase the subwoofer gain by 6db. Also, reduce treble from 5khz to 20khz with shelf filter by 3db.
Many thanks for posting that file, much appreciated, I will get it hooked up next week and give it a go
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:27 AM   #5
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:

Did the swap over and just gave it a run today, I was sceptical I would hear much difference as I was happy with the standard set up but it is a clear improvement over the Hifi amp, just seems crisper and clearer, hard to describe really but it's a keeper for me

Thanks again for the sound file and instructions, it made it very easy to set up for me, only thing I did different was mount the amp upside down so I could access the USB port and see status lights, don't know if that matters though apart from name being upside down?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:54 AM   #6
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to hear that. I don't think it should make a difference mounting it upside down. I might do that too as the cable is easier to manage. Just done building the sub box and still waiting for the 4 gauge amp kit for wiring.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
SROC31701.00
      12-09-2018, 05:43 AM   #7
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Just updated trunk subwoofer installation in first post.
Appreciate 2
MechX3M40i1006.00
MarkyM381.50
      12-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #8
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Nice sub! Just curious why you cut off at 80Hz and not higher, since the subs under the seats seem relatively tiny by comparison and we are asking them to do a lot for anything under 100Hz...

If your 12" can create 'vibration' up front, then it might be an alternative solution to mute out the steering wheel vibration issues
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #9
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

I read from another forum that the underseat sub is capable down to 60hz. Maybe not at very high SPL. I will try 100hz since the dsp is very flexible for different tuning setup. My preference is to reduce distortion for each speakers by playing within the range it’s build, not eyeball shaking SPL level.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:58 AM   #10
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
That looks impressive, a very neat installation

I see you switched your amp upside down as well, makes me feel I have contributed something even though you've done all the hard work
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #11
litium1000
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 2.0d M

Newbie question: is it possible to change crossover frequency and to tune the stock Harman Kardon amplifier?( I have european option Harman Kardon sound system 600w). I am not at all happy with current bass, it lacks kick and depth...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #12
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by litium1000 View Post
Newbie question: is it possible to change crossover frequency and to tune the stock Harman Kardon amplifier?( I have european option Harman Kardon sound system 600w). I am not at all happy with current bass, it lacks kick and depth...
I am not an expert or even an audiophile, but if your car is relatively new, I would recommend you use your HK speakers more and break them in first before making any modification. My HK speaker set improved a lot over time vs. 2 months ago when I took it from my dealer.

Also, making adjustment to the tone and equalizer in iDrive helps a lot (at least for me). The bass is now much livelier. Experiment with this if you have not done that already.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #13
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunely no. I have the same L7 system in F10 and feel it can’t compete with this setup. Once I’m done with the X3, I’ll upgrade my L7 speakers with custom SD28 tweeter and FaitalPro mid. Also going to swap the underseat sub with BimmerTech Alpha One sub.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:22 AM   #14
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post

I see you switched your amp upside down as well, makes me feel I have contributed something even though you've done all the hard work
Yeah. You enlighten me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #15
litium1000
Romania
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 2.0d M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
I am not an expert or even an audiophile, but if your car is relatively new, I would recommend you use your HK speakers more and break them in first before making any modification. My HK speaker set improved a lot over time vs. 2 months ago when I took it from my dealer.

Also, making adjustment to the tone and equalizer in iDrive helps a lot (at least for me). The bass is now much livelier. Experiment with this if you have not done that already.
It's more than 6 months now, it sounds better than before, but still... i have tried different eq settings but the result is the same. When I ramp up the volume, the bass follows till 40-50%, after that it goes flat and muddy. I don't feel any kick under the seat (like in my previous F30)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 09:49 AM   #16
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:

It's more than 6 months now, it sounds better than before, but still... i have tried different eq settings but the result is the same. When I ramp up the volume, the bass follows till 40-50%, after that it goes flat and muddy. I don't feel any kick under the seat (like in my previous F30)
I guess it's asking a lot for those 8" subs to give you kicks, if you mean heart thumping, almost tactile vibration at very low frequencies. You may need to put a 12" sub in back hooked with a dedicated amp like OP did.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:36 AM   #17
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyM View Post

Yeah. You enlighten me.
Haha, thanks for making me feel good and keeps us updated with your progress
Appreciate 1
      12-09-2018, 11:11 AM   #18
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Just FYI...there is some good info for newbies re:the AudioTech-Fischer (and Bimmertech version) amplifiers here, just look at say the last/current page https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...51&page=14

If you're thinking at all about general speaker upgrade, this thread has some thoughts and commentary on a couple of aftermarket BMW-focused sellers products:https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1561742

Above info from the sedan forums but good info applicable to the SUV's.

From what I've read, it seems that if one really wants good bass one needs a separate subwoofer w/it's own amplifier - I think similar to what is described in this thread.

Good Luck/Bill
Appreciate 1
MechX3M40i1006.00
      12-10-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

I've been holding off on buying the amp upgrade because I wasn't sure if the harness was the same.

Looking at your pics above, is it correct to say that the pins are the same, but you will need to clip the two plastic guide tabs from the amp's harness, and everything else would plug right in and work ?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
MarkyM
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by supraken View Post
I've been holding off on buying the amp upgrade because I wasn't sure if the harness was the same.

Looking at your pics above, is it correct to say that the pins are the same, but you will need to clip the two plastic guide tabs from the amp's harness, and everything else would plug right in and work ?
Yes you just need to shave off the 2 tabs on the black plug that comes with amp that pierreye has circled in red, all the pins are in the same place just seems like BMW has very slightly changed the position of those 2 tabs on the G01 plug (probably all new models going forward as well?)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:22 AM   #21
pierreye
Lieutenant
Rep

Just do it. Even without the trunk sub, it's an obvious improvement compare to Hifi option. Even if given a choice, I wouldn't get Top Hifi L7 as it's more flexible using UP 7BMW DSP amp which does sound better.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #22
supraken
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: car

Sounds good, that's very helpful. Thanks!

Now onto hunting for one of these amps ..
Appreciate 0