BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: mazda3, vw passat, suzuki vita

Anyone not liking the front being bit long on x3 2018-19

I like everything about this car (best part is the driver seat goes all the way down and i can take nap lol). But only thing I kind of keep thinking about it is that the front is too long (aesthetically , look kind of like long nose or duck bill lol. Performance wise, i have to make sure I don't hit anything and rely on the front sensors (i'm sure gets used to overtime). Driving my mazda hatchback for work and then x3 for whenever I feel, it's very different. Some Suv's I just noticed that the front is quite short and if the x3 had shorter front it would be 100% . Other then it's like at 90% (take off 10% cause it's pretty important too me lol). Should have gotten the 360 camera lol

I understand they did this so that 6 cylinder can be fitted but wondering if this length is the norm or longer then most cars?

Seeing it in different angles outside though doesn't seem like it but sometimes i can tell it's quite long.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:14 PM   #2
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

As with most things, and possibly more so with cars, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I just got my X3 last week (built mid June) and really like everything about it, including the body proportions. It has just the right amount of aggressiveness to front end, and very clean long lines.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #3
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
As with most things, and possibly more so with cars, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I just got my X3 last week (built mid June) and really like everything about it, including the body proportions. It has just the right amount of aggressiveness to front end, and very clean long lines.
Can I ask what you drove before? If it was something long in front them maybe used to it. My mazda3 hatch was quite short so i can see everything in front of me. Never crossed your mind it was long or anything? I saw dimensions between x1 and x3 (overall that is not the front part). But it's around 11 inches longer then the x1. which isn't too bad but seems long considering both are subcompact (x3 might be compact now).
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:53 PM   #4
JDsX3
Photojournalist, Tech & Product Analyst
Rep
Drives: BMW X3, i4, Corvette Stingray

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakamuru View Post
Can I ask what you drove before? If it was something long in front them maybe used to it. My mazda3 hatch was quite short so i can see everything in front of me. Never crossed your mind it was long or anything? I saw dimensions between x1 and x3 (overall that is not the front part). But it's around 11 inches longer then the x1. which isn't too bad but seems long considering both are subcompact (x3 might be compact now).
I have owned over 40 cars, and professionally photographed 1000s. As I mentioned in my earlier post, it is a subjective judgment with regards to proportionality.
Current:2024 i4 Mineral White Metallic with Blue Exterior Accents, Canberra Beige Perforated SensaTec, Premium Package, Driving Assistance Pro Package, Drive Recorder. 2019 X3 Mineral White Metallic, Caberra Beige interior with most options. Corvette Stingray Arctic White w red interior.
Past:2002 Z3, Corvette Stingray and about 40 other cars
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsX3 View Post
Quote:
I have owned over 40 cars, and professionally photographed 1000s.
Ok that is good credit hahah. Have you owned short nose (.not sure if call part nose ) and long one too? Guess I'm just not used to it. What car comes to mind when you think of something that has longer front? Even if it is long every is special I would say. But guess I'm just used to more compact front
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:08 PM   #6
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

Quote:
I like everything about this car (best part is the driver seat goes all the way down and i can take nap lol). But only thing I kind of keep thinking about it is that the front is too long (aesthetically , look kind of like long nose or duck bill lol. Performance wise, i have to make sure I don't hit anything and rely on the front sensors (i'm sure gets used to overtime). Driving my mazda hatchback for work and then x3 for whenever I feel, it's very different. Some Suv's I just noticed that the front is quite short and if the x3 had shorter front it would be 100% . Other then it's like at 90% (take off 10% cause it's pretty important too me lol). Should have gotten the 360 camera lol

I understand they did this so that 6 cylinder can be fitted but wondering if this length is the norm or longer then most cars?

Seeing it in different angles outside though doesn't seem like it but sometimes i can tell it's quite long.
The long hood is pretty standard in a front engine, rear drive platform. It seems you are most used to front wheel drive vehicles, so that is why the hood seems long to you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fron...l-drive_layout
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2019, 10:11 PM   #7
nakamuru
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSchnee View Post
Quote:

The long hood is pretty standard in a front engine, rear drive platform. It seems you are most used to front wheel drive vehicles, so that is why the hood seems long to you. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fron...l-drive_layout
Yes that explains it so it's mostly for practical reasons they did this I did have front real drive . Well makes it more accepting for me since they didn't purposely go longer for looks

Not much of a problem as end of day point a to point b

Sometimes lol
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:40 AM   #8
Redman67
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Soon to be X3 M40i

I replaced my MDX with an M40i and the longer nose does take some getting used to especially pulling into parking spots.

I never really noticed how short/stubby the front of the V6 MDX was until I drove the M40i. I can see why manufacturers like the V6 as it allows for much more room in the car. I think the MDX is only about 9/10 inches longer that the M40i but it has so much more usable interior space including a kid-usable third seating row.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
Replicant
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I dig the proportions, gives me a shooting brake vibe, at least with the M40i.
Appreciate 1
JDsX3490.50