BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-23-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Entertainment center gurus...need advice

Hey Folks,

I'm dumping DirecTV because it costs us just shy of $160/mo and we rarely watch TV. Wifey watches The Voice on NBC a couple nights a week and we sometimes catch a series on PBS. Otherwise we watch movies and baseball on my Apple TV. We have internet through the local cable company, so today I added the basic package of local networks, which comes in unscrambled and needs no set top box. The cable company charges $10.95/mo per box and $14.95 for DVR service if I want to record shows. I'm sure I can buy something to record TV shows for far less than a year's worth of rental/service fees from the cable company.

Thing is, every time I search for a DVR, I get hits for a pricey system to record from security cameras. That's not what I want. I just want to be able to record the occasional TV show. I'd rather not have to pay any monthly fees for a service. Can one of you entertainment center gurus recommend a good TIVO-like device? Are there such things as recording devices that are also tuners? Something I can run a coax to and then use HDMI to the TV?

Current DirecTV/cable internet cost is $230/mo. The plan outlined above will be $113/mo. Pretty good savings there, so I don't mind spending a bit for a good tuner/recorder if one exists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:35 AM   #2
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

I'm still a diehard DIRECTV guy! Having young kiddos and even myself have a large variety of viewing habits makes it hard to cut the cable. But I'm exploring options every so often. If I come up with a viable solution, I'll report back...
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #3
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Trust me... If anyone needs to cut the cord, it's me!
I have a total of 6 DirecTV Receivers all of which have monthly fees! Plus I have a entertainment Pkg.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Hey Folks,

I'm dumping DirecTV because it costs us just shy of $160/mo and we rarely watch TV. Wifey watches The Voice on NBC a couple nights a week and we sometimes catch a series on PBS. Otherwise we watch movies and baseball on my Apple TV. We have internet through the local cable company, so today I added the basic package of local networks, which comes in unscrambled and needs no set top box. The cable company charges $10.95/mo per box and $14.95 for DVR service if I want to record shows. I'm sure I can buy something to record TV shows for far less than a year's worth of rental/service fees from the cable company.

Thing is, every time I search for a DVR, I get hits for a pricey system to record from security cameras. That's not what I want. I just want to be able to record the occasional TV show. I'd rather not have to pay any monthly fees for a service. Can one of you entertainment center gurus recommend a good TIVO-like device? Are there such things as recording devices that are also tuners? Something I can run a coax to and then use HDMI to the TV?

Current DirecTV/cable internet cost is $230/mo. The plan outlined above will be $113/mo. Pretty good savings there, so I don't mind spending a bit for a good tuner/recorder if one exists.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Will TiVo work for your situation?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
1and1
Loves me some MHD!
United_States
Rep
Drives: faster than he should...

Garage List
'09 135i  [10.00]
Search the phrase cable tv dvr
Lots of variations come up...
Attached Images

X1 - E84.N20 2013 MGM - JB4 - The Wife's, now with new turbo & ewg
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:04 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Thanks, all. A quick stop at Best Buy squared me away. Grabbed a couple of Alura-tek tuners with recording options. At $50 each, it was a no-brainer. I didn't think it would be that easy. I can't believe the cable company charges $26 every month for the same capability.

Last edited by M_Six; 04-23-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 01:54 AM   #7
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

I have comcraptic. 100 meg down and every single channel they offer for about 180 A month with all the taxes and stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #8
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Thanks, all. A quick stop at Best Buy squared me away. Grabbed a couple of Alura-tek tuners with recording options. At $50 each, it was a no-brainer. I didn't think it would be that easy. I can't believe the cable company charges $26 every month for the same capability.
Interesting...I guess this is the device you picked up?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alurate...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was gonna suggest trying to see if you could catch local channels over the air and then record them with something like this, but sounds like you found a good solution:
https://smile.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Rec...gateway&sr=8-1

Report back with your thoughts after spending some time with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
Interesting...I guess this is the device you picked up?
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alurate...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

I was gonna suggest trying to see if you could catch local channels over the air and then record them with something like this, but sounds like you found a good solution:
https://smile.amazon.com/Fire-TV-Rec...gateway&sr=8-1

Report back with your thoughts after spending some time with it.
Yep, that's it. And doesn't it figure that it's on sale today for $10 less than it was in-store yesterday? Argh.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:33 AM   #10
KingOfJericho
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [5.26]
Altice here (formerly Optimum/Cablevision). $180/mo for phone/cable/internet at 300MB. No complaints. I only keep the phone for the home alarm system but I may ditch that and go with Nest and self-monitor. I am a die hard TiVo proponent so I only rent the very cheap cable cards. I also purchased my own cable modem so I'm not renting that either.

While most channels offer some type of programming via apple TV, they also require a cable subscription... so what's the damn point!? How do you cut the cable when cable is required?

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

The pay apps we use on AppleTV are the MLB single team package, which would cost me the same no matter how I view it, and Netflix. Ditto for that. The other apps like NBC, PBS and Youtube are free. Oh, and Amazon Prime as well. There's also a cost to that, but it isn't TV specific.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 12:22 PM   #12
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
While most channels offer some type of programming via apple TV, they also require a cable subscription... so what's the damn point!? How do you cut the cable when cable is required?
Apple TV here too...$40/month for Fios 100/100 and another $50 for YouTube TV. No tax, no renting equipment, no non-sense technology fees, etc. Save well over $80/month compared to Comcast.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:01 PM   #13
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfJericho View Post
Altice here (formerly Optimum/Cablevision). $180/mo for phone/cable/internet at 300MB. No complaints. I only keep the phone for the home alarm system but I may ditch that and go with Nest and self-monitor. I am a die hard TiVo proponent so I only rent the very cheap cable cards. I also purchased my own cable modem so I'm not renting that either.

I'm not clear on the cable card thing. I've read it's so the Tivo can unscramble the channels you pay for, but my channels are already unscrambled. These cheapo tuner units pick them up fine. Do I still need a cable card if I buy a Tivo? And can you use a Tivo without getting their monthly service?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 06:57 PM   #14
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

no cable for me! always used Netflix and Hulu
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 07:27 PM   #15
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I am using PlayStation Vue and feel like the price point is decent for what you get. Adding Netflix and Amazon Prime Video and I have way more than I can watch and spend a good bit less than I did with cable.

And I just recently splurged on the Motor Trend app....just seeing if I like it and so far I do.
Appreciate 1
      04-25-2019, 11:46 PM   #16
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 550i, '00 M5, '11 E90 335i

Quote:
I'm not clear on the cable card thing. I've read it's so the Tivo can unscramble the channels you pay for, but my channels are already unscrambled. These cheapo tuner units pick them up fine. Do I still need a cable card if I buy a Tivo? And can you use a Tivo without getting their monthly service?
Correct, cable cards are used for encrypted cable systems. If the system you are on is not encrypted yet, be prepared. You did not state where you live. If it's a bigger cable company I am surprised it's still in the clear, all the ones I have dealt with aren't. TiVo would need a cable card for sure if encrypted, not sure if in clear. Cable card rentals are usually $2-3/month and capable of up to 8 (newly built cards, 6 on older) decodes at a time, limit of records will be Tivo.

Depending on where you live an antenna is the way to go. Those boxes you got will work for that too. Why pay cable company for something that is free already? Use that savings to donate to local PBS and get the Passport app.

Be Leary of the cheap units. Storage is usually limited and reliability is questionable. Even the cable company cheap boxes are junk, we keep 3-4 spare on hand at work and are constantly having to swap them out.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:04 AM   #17
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Can you come to my house and do this I'm a semi-functioning retard when it comes to this. If I could get all the sports I want wouldnt care about TV otherwise just watch movies and need internet wifi stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 12:12 AM   #18
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Can you come to my house and do this I'm a semi-functioning retard when it comes to this. If I could get all the sports I want wouldnt care about TV otherwise just watch movies and need internet wifi stuff.
Where do you live?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:37 AM   #19
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Correct, cable cards are used for encrypted cable systems. If the system you are on is not encrypted yet, be prepared. You did not state where you live. If it's a bigger cable company I am surprised it's still in the clear, all the ones I have dealt with aren't. TiVo would need a cable card for sure if encrypted, not sure if in clear. Cable card rentals are usually $2-3/month and capable of up to 8 (newly built cards, 6 on older) decodes at a time, limit of records will be Tivo.

Depending on where you live an antenna is the way to go. Those boxes you got will work for that too. Why pay cable company for something that is free already? Use that savings to donate to local PBS and get the Passport app.

Be Leary of the cheap units. Storage is usually limited and reliability is questionable. Even the cable company cheap boxes are junk, we keep 3-4 spare on hand at work and are constantly having to swap them out.
All the cable channels were scrambled until I paid for the basic package. Now I get the local channels and PBS, etc. These cheapo boxes pick up all the stations, but all of them show scrambled except the ones I pay for. I then have to go through and delete the scrambled channels so it's not a mess. I suspect the cable cards will tell the Tivo which station is which and maybe allow the Tivo to show the channel guide for upcoming programs. With the cheap boxes, I have to rename the stations once I figure out what they are and there is no channel guide at all.

What is the monthly Tivo fee for? I read their site and still don't get what it is that they offer for the charge.

And I tried an antenna once and got nothing. We live in east central IL in the middle of vast cornfields. We're 50 miles from the nearest large town.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      04-26-2019, 07:39 AM   #20
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchillerM View Post
Where do you live?
Western Washington
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Just to add more to this. We watch more movies than anything plus binge on shows, so don't typically watch a weekly show unless there are several to watch in a row. We find it easier to remember what happened on previous episodes. Getting old sucks lol.

Anyway, the amount we've saved on cable, we have been able to get a decent Samsung 75" UHD HDR TV and Atmos 7.1.4 soundbar. We also save money on going to movies since we are very happy with our home setup. The only exception would be going to an IMAX movie like Avengers. But that's like once or twice a year.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2019, 10:12 PM   #22
SchillerM
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Western Washington
I am down in Portland. Would be a few months before I'd be able to make a trip like that, But if serious I'd be willing to help out. PM me to talk about your need.
Matt
Appreciate 0