BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-09-2018, 07:56 AM   #1
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X5d 2021 Tesla S

18 X5d Test Drive/Comparison

My wife has a GLC and we are considering trading it in and we test drove several cars yesterday. We test drove 2018 X5d (as we love diesels and this is probably BMW last diesel in the US market)., 2019 X3, 2018 Q5 and Porsche Macan.

We thought the Macan and the X3 were the most fun to drive. Q5 was also good, as was the X5d, but since it is bigger, it was also obviously heavier and not as nimble. X5d was still a solid drive and obviously is a step up size wise from the other SUV's, so really not a fair drive comparison.

Technology by far was the best in the X3. BMW has the best HUD and tech, the Q5 we had drove did not have HUD, so not sure how Audi's compares. The Macan does not have HUD as an option and although the X5d was good, it was a generation older HUD than the X3. Infotainment and other tech options better on the X3, with Q5 second, X5d 3rd and Macan last (not saying it is bad, but not Porche's thing). I always hear Audi has great tech, but not sure why some reviewers don't think BMW's is better, as it seems like it to me.

Macan was the most expensive, when you add comparable options and did not come close to our trade in value for our GLC that BMW and Audi dealerships did. Too bad, as would probably get a Macan for something different.

Unless something changes with Macan price or GLC trade in value will probably go BMW or possibly Q5. Will drive them one more time. Just can't decide between the X5d or 19 X3. Thought we would really like the Q5, but it was just ok.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #2
BMWGuySweden
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Don't see any questions but I would go with the X3 since it's a newer generation. Unless you really need the space. If it were between the new generation X5 and the X3 that would be tougher.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 10:58 AM   #3
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWGuySweden View Post
Don't see any questions but I would go with the X3 since it's a newer generation. Unless you really need the space. If it were between the new generation X5 and the X3 that would be tougher.
Thanks - yes, I think we are leaning that way too.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
m3_08
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8 conv, IX M60, model Y

my wife moved from x5d to x3m40i and she loved it. She prefered smaller size but more than enough for our needs, new electronics (first time she uses voice commands and x3 actually understands!). She misses diesel mpg but she doesnt drive much so instead of filling up every month now she has to fill up every two weeks and she complains...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #5
DBV1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks - that is why we like diesel too is the mpg, as we mostly drive highway miles. It seemed the X3 30xi we drove had decent mpg on our test drive.

Our G30 gets great mpg on highways. I have had as high as 38 mph on some trips. Assume X3 30xi would be similar, but a little less, since it is a SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_08 View Post
my wife moved from x5d to x3m40i and she loved it. She prefered smaller size but more than enough for our needs, new electronics (first time she uses voice commands and x3 actually understands!). She misses diesel mpg but she doesnt drive much so instead of filling up every month now she has to fill up every two weeks and she complains...
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:01 AM   #6
mavg
Rep
Drives: X5

why not the base Cayenne? It's superb
Appreciate 0