BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

18 X30i Road Trip Review

So granted this is my first BMW, but it is our I believe 22nd car we've bought in 25+ years. I just couldn't be happier. We just returned from a ~ 1,500 mile road trip from the DC area to north of Toronto. So everything from urban traffic to wide open, nobody within 2 miles type of driving. Each major leg we averaged ~ 25 mpg, but it was incredibly hot, over 90+ degrees, and we had the engine running a lot at idle at rest stops etc since we had our dog with us, etc. Some specific segments, when my wife would drive we'd see 31 mpg. We go pretty fast, probably an average of over 80 - 85, hitting 105+ a few times. Read ahead of time that Ontario has a fairly new law of 50 km/h over results in up to $10k fine, car impounded, etc so had to be 'careful'. And not a lot of Waze users once you get north of Toronto, felt like I was exposed more than usual.

Anyways, the X3 performed beautifully, did everything I could ever ask for and then some. Ours is loaded up, literally every option and I wouldn't change that. Yes, I have no doubt the M40i would be like a rocket in comparison, but for those of you reading these forums please don't think an X30i is like a Prius. It is really quick and the chassis, transmission, suspension all of it comes together as a phenomenal package. Not one thing I would change. Easily the best vehicle we've owned. People complain about the ventilated seats, and yes I wish I didn't lose the adjustable bolsters with them, but I'd go with the ventilation again. HK stereo upgrade was worth it. And the DA and DA+ options were a no brainer for us. The one thing I wasn't sure before ordering about was getting the package with the adjustable dampers and upgraded brakes, but thankfully many on this form suggested it was worth it, and I couldn't agree more. Awesome, Awesome vehicle.

Last edited by tenflyer; 07-07-2018 at 04:51 PM..
Appreciate 2
KK118.00
sinbad4782.50
      07-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #2
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

That’s great. I agree with everything you said. I have the 30i as well and have been getting between 32-34mpg highway. I have the ventilated seats as well and yes they are not as bolstered, but when it’s in the 90’s it’s the best thing to cool your back off. They are plenty comfy for me. I now wish my 4 series had them. DA and DA+ we’re a must for me and have gotten so much better over the years. It really is a great car and I’m happy to see others speaking up for the smaller engined cars. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 1
KK118.00
      07-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #3
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Recently found on my M40i that Adaptive M comes in very handy on long road trips when you're using BMW's nav system...adaptive was a very good balance between comfort and firm without the constant engine drone from Sport or Sport + modes. I wasn't using Adaptive mode that often but on long trips was perfect.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 1
swifty314.00
      07-07-2018, 06:57 AM   #4
tenflyer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 x30i

Yeah I find myself using adaptive mode the most often. If I know I'm hitting some windy roads where I open things up I go into Sport, but adaptive definitely has the right balance for most environments. So glad I added that.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 12:31 AM   #5
gordonyz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW

DA and DA+ counterpart is standard on any Honda Accord and $1000 on Civic. They should be standard on BMW as well IMO. Pretty soon they will be like a backup camera
Appreciate 0