BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-12-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
OzX3M40i
Rep
Drives: X3M40i

After 3 weeks and still no fix, but now my car has Been taken for a joyride... I started another thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 03:43 AM   #24
edgarchieng
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzX3M40i View Post

Hi, I have had this intermittent screeching noise happen since 2000km. I currently have 15,000km and the noise has been getting progressively worse in duration and frequency. Driving me nuts to the point of selling it.

It will happen after the car has been parked for more than 3 hours. The noise will intermittently continue for approximately 5 minutes and then dissapear completely. It will happen every morning after being parked overnight.

It will not occur at idle, and is the same under load or off accelerator.

I have tried all driving modes, a/c off, fan belt lube, long idle, short idle.

The noise is outside the car, but can still be heard clearly with the windows up and medium music volume.

It is booked in at the dealership in another week, but thought someone may have come across this in order to help speed up the fault finding process.

Thanks
Mate I'm having the same problem as you but mine is still early stages as it's intermittent at the moment, my car has been in the Adelaide BMW dealership for a third of my ownership time and they still couldn't pin point exactly the problem.

Two weeks ago I had the car in for 2 weeks straight as they installed chassis ear (series of mics mounted to the car) to try and narrow the source but no luck.

My thread was here

Squawking Noise https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1538280

The pattern I've picked for mine are -

1) more frequent when weather is warmer
2) happens on smoother road

Still no fix as of yet I'm trying to get this escalated to BMQ HQ in Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #25
Will78801
Rep

Had the same issue found out it was the shield plate behind the wheel was bent in hitting the back of the rotor
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 02:47 PM   #26
OzX3M40i
Rep

Sorry to hear that you have the same noise. You are the 5th person I know of now.

Unfortunately they removed all brake shields and checked for rocks and clearances, but nothing found.

This is the latest update from BMW, regarding this noise.

BMW technical can’t find a fix or source of the noise.

They now conveniently say that they can’t replicate the noise for the past 2 weeks, despite no repairs made. They also hooked up the mics around the car, but could not locate the origin. They were able to replicate the noise for the first 2 weeks at the dealaership.

The noise is always there when the vehicle is cold I.e. first thing in the morning or after 3-4 hours of it cooling down. It was never intermittent for the past 4 months and was getting progressively worse in the lengths of the screeching noise.

Here is their reply.

In reference to the warranty concerns we have had a BMW technical advisor to the dealership to assist in diagnosis of the noise you have experienced. Since the last time we spoke we have not been able to replicate the fault. The drivetrain light has occurred when the vehicle has been running on the hoist to inspect components of the driveline often found under load.

Unfortunately to this point we have been unable to pin point the source of the noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:41 PM   #27
edgarchieng
Private
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that you have the same noise. You are the 5th person I know of now.

Unfortunately they removed all brake shields and checked for rocks and clearances, but nothing found.

BMW technical can't find a fix or source of the noise.

They now conveniently say that they can't replicate the noise for the past 2 weeks, despite no repairs made. They also hooked up the mics around the car, but could not locate the origin. They were able to replicate the noise for the first 2 weeks at the dealaership.

The noise is always there when the vehicle is cold I.e. first thing in the morning or after 3-4 hours of it cooling down. It was never intermittent for the past 4 months and was getting progressively worse in the lengths of the screeching noise.

Here is their reply.

In reference to the warranty concerns we have had a BMW technical advisor to the dealership to assist in diagnosis of the noise you have experienced. Since the last time we spoke we have not been able to replicate the fault. The drivetrain light has occurred when the vehicle has been running on the hoist to inspect components of the driveline often found under load.

Unfortunately to this point we have been unable to pin point the source of the noise.
I get the same feedback from BMW Service team that because they cannot reproduce the noise when car is on the hoist there is nothing much that can be done.

I'm starting to wonder it's either got to do with the adaptive suspension or the driveshafts

But then again unless they can really prove that's the source they won't replace it due to the process of replacing parts under warranty

In the end we are the victims
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 05:45 PM   #28
edgarchieng
Private
Rep

Which BMW dealership is your car in? Just so I keep a record if yours ever get fixed at least I know who they should refer to
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 06:46 PM   #29
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarchieng View Post
Quote:

They now conveniently say that they can't replicate the noise for the past 2 weeks, despite no repairs made. They also hooked up the mics around the car, but could not locate the origin. They were able to replicate the noise for the first 2 weeks at the dealaership.

Here is their reply.

I get the same feedback from BMW Service team that because they cannot reproduce the noise when car is on the hoist there is nothing much that can be done.

I'm starting to wonder it's either got to do with the adaptive suspension or the driveshafts

But then again unless they can really prove that's the source they won't replace it due to the process of replacing parts under warranty

i'm sorry for you two having this problem but not reproducible at BMW?!?! Did you get your car back with the noise still happening from time to time? I suppose you had driven the car with BMW people to confirm that they heard it too right? :
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:54 AM   #30
edgarchieng
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Here is their reply.

i'm sorry for you two having this problem but not reproducible at BMW?!?! Sis you get your car back with the noise still happening from time to time? I suppose you had driven the car with BMW people to confirm that they heard it too right? :
That's right, my car has spent 1/3 of its time in my ownership with the BMW Service team. They acknowledge the problem and they head it themselves (many of them did) but because the noise only comes on when you're driving on the road in motion) but not able to be reproduced when on the hoist.

So yes we got the car back (me on many occasions now) with the problem still there. All I get is apologies each time I pick up the car that they can not locate the problem and their excuse (which is a valid one) is that the noise is intermittent.

They want for my car to get worse (noise is constant and continuous) so it's easier for them to locate the issues.

The last time my car was sent in it was sitting with them for 2 straight weeks, I had to request to have my car back because there was no progress and my wife who is the primary driver of the car is not happy that we were given an X1 20i as a loan car.

I'm seriously at lost as to what to do from here, there is no proper escalation process with BMW Australia.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 03:56 AM   #31
IXVXI
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i & F30 328i

Quote:
Which BMW dealership is your car in? Just so I keep a record if yours ever get fixed at least I know who they should refer to
Macarthur BMW.

OP's other tread is here:
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564092
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 11:14 PM   #32
SoundAuthority
Rep
Drives: X4 M40d (G02)

Any update on this topic?

My G02 M40d got the same problem - greetings from Germany.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #33
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

Any news? I have the same problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:35 PM   #34
LexiBenz
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X4M

Squeaking pinpointed

My 2019 X4M40i started doing squeaking noise at about 500 miles through winter for about 10-20 minutes run time. I took it to the dealer this May and they could not replicate the squeaking at about 2500 miles. 2 weeks later I couldn't stand it and took it back to the dealer. Within the first week they heard it once. By the second week I decided I wanted to get my car back. Driving it out of the bay within about 10-step I can can it. I took it right back into the dealer bay. They called a technician to sit in the car while I drive it and make the squeaking happen. I was able to get it to squeak a few times. So leaving my car for the week 3, they pinpointed the issue. It is the rear dust boot covers for the rear axles. Parts are being order and hopefully this stops it.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #35
eraxy
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 3

It is the rear dust boot covers for the rear axles.

Can you show this by an image? Cannot imagine by text what it should be.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:15 AM   #36
BMWX40DUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X40D

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakehips View Post
I started getting exactly the same noise last week and I only have 700 miles on the clock! It started as just half a dozen screeches for the first minute of driving from cold but today it was for a good 5 minutes or so. But always goes away when everything has warmed up and also independent of whether throttle on or off. Maybe coincidence but this has been since I had the winter wheels put on so wondered if could be brakes rubbing when cold? No idea really. Can't get to the dealer till next week and of course when I get there the symptom will have gone away because the car will be warm. So anything the you discover about the cause would be invaluable to me!
Snakehips - did you get a resolution this? I've got exact same issue in the UK and car with dealer right now but no obvious issues. 800 miles on the clock.
Thansk
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 06:13 AM   #37
RMacOzX3
Registered
Rep

Any further updates on the source?

I’ve got the same problem with my new X3 M40i, but just getting started with my dealer. Intermittent and often not too loud so hard to reproduce or record to get evidence.

Has anyone else traced it to the rear dust boot covers for rear axles mentioned by LexiBenz?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #38
sprokai
Lurker
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMacOzX3 View Post
Any further updates on the source?

I've got the same problem with my new X3 M40i, but just getting started with my dealer. Intermittent and often not too loud so hard to reproduce or record to get evidence.

Has anyone else traced it to the rear dust boot covers for rear axles mentioned by LexiBenz?
I'll be surprised if this is an axle boot cover. I know it's been suggested and discounted, but this really does sound exactly like a pebble stuck between the brake shield and rotor.

There are thousands of posts about this noise on the F80/82 forum. I had it on my M4 a few times. No visual inspection will reveal it. For most F80/82 owners, you have to push the shield to dislodge the pebble. And it won't always work, so you may have to try it a few times. And the pebble can be tiny - like 2mm diameter. And it can dislodge itself and reoccur at anytime. And it can make other noises that sound like an aluminum can being crushed as well as the screeching noise in your video. BMW actually redesigned the brake shield for the F80/82 and offered some owners free replacements. This has not been a big issue for later model F80s.

I have not heard this on my M40i, and I could be wrong, so please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 03:24 PM   #39
Bradders1892
Registered
Rep

Another example....unfortunately!!!

I purchased my X3 M40i in March.
Love it, having traded in my 340i.

Unfortunately after 2 months and about 3k miles I started to hear this screeching noise, exactly like the you tube clip at the start of this thread!

I am no mechanic, but using my basic engineering experience from the last 20 years I don’t believe this is a stone stuck in a dust cover issue. If so every car would suffer from it from time to time, also it doesn’t explain why once the car has done a few miles and warmed up why it disappears only to come back on the next time the car has been sat still for any reasonable length of time.

Has anybody in the UK suffered from this yet? Has anybody had a fix from BMW.
Surely it is a design or manufacturing defect that is marginal so not every car has it.
Either way mine has been booked in to my dealer I purchased it from, and if they cannot fix it we will soon be discussing another vehicle because I am certainly not keeping it with the noise it makes!!!
😡😤
Any feedback on how others have fixed it, not seen anything concrete yet would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 05:58 AM   #40
dtuohy1
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Problem Resolved

I posted this on the other thread for same problem.
My M40i had same problem for 6 months (now 12 months old 15,000 kms)
Car was with BMW for over 2 weeks and they ended up replacing the rear dust cover and fixing in place. I have seen several other people announce either the front or rear dust cover is the problem.
Car has been back a week now and no sign of the noise.
Notes from BMW service documentation attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:21 AM   #41
SoundAuthority
Rep
Drives: X4 M40d (G02)

Can't find / open the attachment. Can you please re-upload the file?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:32 AM   #42
X3M40i_Nev
Straight Six Convert
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
2018 Mini JCW  [10.00]
2019 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradders1892 View Post

I purchased my X3 M40i in March.
Love it, having traded in my 340i.

Unfortunately after 2 months and about 3k miles I started to hear this screeching noise, exactly like the you tube clip at the start of this thread!

I am no mechanic, but using my basic engineering experience from the last 20 years I don’t believe this is a stone stuck in a dust cover issue. If so every car would suffer from it from time to time, also it doesn’t explain why once the car has done a few miles and warmed up why it disappears only to come back on the next time the car has been sat still for any reasonable length of time.

Has anybody in the UK suffered from this yet? Has anybody had a fix from BMW.
Surely it is a design or manufacturing defect that is marginal so not every car has it.
Either way mine has been booked in to my dealer I purchased it from, and if they cannot fix it we will soon be discussing another vehicle because I am certainly not keeping it with the noise it makes!!!
����
Any feedback on how others have fixed it, not seen anything concrete yet would be much appreciated!
Thanks
Got mine end of May, and had this same thing happen! Would only happen when cooler temps (1st thing in morning), and disappear when warm or engine at operating temp.

M40i went in for supposedly a week to sort, but got back after 3 days to then only be told they couldn't replicate!! To be fair, I have not heard the noise for a number of weeks, but then temps have been warmer.

Car is back in today, as bl00dy rear spoiler squeaking away (I posted vid in another thread). Had a call earlier saying they can't hear it. Told the service advisor best they keep the car longer then, as not having it back until fixed.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1638296

Oh the joys!

Last edited by X3M40i_Nev; 07-30-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 06:47 AM   #43
BMWX40DUK
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X40D

All - I hopefully have a solid answer for this and for those still having an issue where their dealer cannot resolve.

My M40D been with dealer (who have been very proactive and helpful to be fair) for 2 weeks. They managed to get good video themselves of the noise. (this being exactly the same as the OP's video).

Referred to BMW Technical who apparently were aware of 1 other case in the UK and were able to advise fault with the Rear Dust Cover between the Diff and the Driveshaft.
Sure enough on looking at this area, they could see the fault.
Basically the Dust Cover is a round plastic seal which essentially protects the diff and diff oil seal where it meets the driveshaft. The cover is meant to rotate with the driveshaft but on inspection they could see it was jamming/not turning.
On my car they have replaced the Dust Cover and also the Driveshaft and on testing it, all working ok. No noise.

So hoping this is permanent fix. Dealer certainly is confident this was definitely the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 12:34 AM   #44
Alias1431
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWX40DUK View Post
The cover is meant to rotate with the driveshaft but on inspection they could see it was jamming/not turning.
What was it jamming on?
Appreciate 0