BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-08-2018, 01:46 PM   #1
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 30d M Sport

12v power and USB outlets

Hi!

I've just been to see my new 30d M Sport, which has been delivered to the dealership. I was very disappointed to find only two 12v outlets (one in the centre console by the cup holders and the other on the driver's sidewall in the load area), and one USB outlet (also in the front console).

I'm sure that there were more in my E70 X5, F25 X3 and certainly in my current M140i (which has 12v sockets under the glove box, in the front centre arm rest and on its rear surface, accessible to rear passengers)!

So, the question, how are forum members providing power to, for example, the front headrest mounted DVD players, which are visible to rear seat occupants? Similarly, how are rear seat passengers to charge mobile phones, or similar?

As an aside, the Master Technician at the dealership has spoken with BMW, both in the UK and Germany, and there is no kit to retrofit additional outlets.

Last edited by delbox; 02-08-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:34 PM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

This is a legit concern.

In the "packet of stuff" that my car came with (owner's manual, floor mats, etc.) there was BMW P/N 8410 9 363 321 02 included, which is a dual USB lighter style charger. I stuck it in the rear lighter socket, it sits flush mounted, so effectively the same has having built-in USB chargers. Maybe even a bit better, as I imagine you could use that same socket for an after-market higher voltage version. The BMW one only supports 2.1A max, combined for both ports.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:40 PM   #3
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, SamS, that's a possible option to offer more USB outlets in the front of my car - albeit at the expense of losing the 12v outlet. However, without a 12v outlet in the rear passenger space, I'm still at a loss about how to power the BMW DVD system that has worked so well previously,
      02-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by delbox View Post
Thanks, SamS, that's a possible option to offer more USB outlets in the front of my car - albeit at the expense of losing the 12v outlet. However, without a 12v outlet in the rear passenger space, I'm still at a loss about how to power the BMW DVD system that has worked so well previously,
I use this in the rear. What are the power requirements of the BMW DVD system?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #5
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep

It comes with the standard (large) cigarette lighter plug attached:
      02-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #6
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It comes with the standard (large) cigarette lighter plug attached:
My X3 has a rear center lighter socket, exactly as shown in that video. Maybe it's part of an optional package?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #7
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep

Certainly not part of a UK package, but the USA and other countries seem to get a 12v outlet on the lower rear of the front centre armrest; that outlet shows as a retrofit part on BMW's parts list ...... but it's not available - surprisingly! The dealership's Master Technician says that it would be a simple job to source an outlet elsewhere and could easily wire it in; however, BMW have warned him not to do so because it would be an unauthorised modification that could afect the car's warranty. So, I think I'll need to use a splitter on a lead from the front 12v outlet and place it in the recess under the climate controls in the rear; it might not be pretty ..... but it could work.
      02-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Certainly not part of a UK package, but the USA and other countries seem to get a 12v outlet on the lower rear of the front centre armrest; that outlet shows as a retrofit part on BMW's parts list ...... but it's not available - surprisingly! The dealership's Master Technician says that it would be a simple job to source an outlet elsewhere and could easily wire it in; however, BMW have warned him not to do so because it would be an unauthorised modification that could afect the car's warranty. So, I think I'll need to use a splitter on a lead from the front 12v outlet and place it in the recess under the climate controls in the rear; it might not be pretty ..... but it could work.
If you order Extended Storage (493) in UK you get an extra 12v socket in rear centre console. Pretty easy to retrofit by yourself. BMW won’t help you with this though.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #9
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks, strike4A, that's very useful .... and, I think, that's what the Master Technician intended - but was warned off by BMW!
      02-08-2018, 05:45 PM   #10
No1Cares
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3

....ipad mini's are portable and do a better job and they aren't tech from 1990's you can mount to the rear headrests....what are DVD players?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2018, 10:35 PM   #11
Keweenawbee
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 30i-m-exec Rides: RT1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
....ipad mini's are portable and do a better job and they aren't tech from 1990's you can mount to the rear headrests....what are DVD players?
DVD players are why there are still Redbox’s in the USA. Renting a Blu-ray at a Redbox vending machine and the subsequent process of ripping them to a hard drive are what enable me to see a current (well almost current with a learned patience) release movie on my 60” TV for $2 instead of about $30 at a typical reserved seat cineplex. I have saved enough money in the past few years to buy an i30 m-sport. (lol)

BTW the software to do this is MakeMKV (universal platform)
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:00 AM   #12
nxa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30d M Sport

Garage List
2018 BMW X3 30d  [0.00]
Forgetting about DVD players, but rear seat passengers do need to CHARGE the iPads, Switch, 3DS etc. The X3 already stood out as less rear seat power in all the cars we compared to so taking the one 12v it has away seem....very odd.

My build starts end of Feb. I'll be annoyed if it turns up with out it, or anything else I don't know about.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 12:38 AM   #13
FCBayernFTW
BMW Brand fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X4 M40i

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2018 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi!

I've just been to see my new 30d M Sport, which has been delivered to the dealership. I was very disappointed to find only two 12v outlets (one in the centre console by the cup holders and the other on the driver's sidewall in the load area), and one USB outlet (also in the front console).

I'm sure that there were more in my E70 X5, F25 X3 and certainly in my current M140i (which has 12v sockets under the glove box, in the front centre arm rest and on its rear surface, accessible to rear passengers)!

So, the question, how are forum members providing power to, for example, the front headrest mounted DVD players, which are visible to rear seat occupants? Similarly, how are rear seat passengers to charge mobile phones, or similar?

As an aside, the Master Technician at the dealership has spoken with BMW, both in the UK and Germany, and there is no kit to retrofit additional outlets.
I found an interesting surprise in the glove compartment when I took delivery last Monday. A 2 port 12v USB plug. My delivery agent told me that some of the their X3's are arriving with them from the factory...
      02-09-2018, 02:26 AM   #14
strike4A
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i LCI Tanzanite Blue II

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBayernFTW View Post
I found an interesting surprise in the glove compartment when I took delivery last Monday. A 2 port 12v USB plug. My delivery agent told me that some of the their X3's are arriving with them from the factory...
This is one of the components of the Extended Storage (493) option that we have in the UK as I referred to earlier. The full list is as follows:

- folding compartment below the driver's side
- Lockable glovebox
- 12V Power socket in rear centre console
- Storage nets behind front driver and passenger seats
- Lashing rails and four adjustable lashing eyes for luggage compartment floor
- USB interface in the second row (charging only)
- one USB adapter
- Multifunctional hooks in the luggage compartment side panels, left and right

Note: in combination with option code 300 'Emergency spare wheel': deletion of lashing rails, hooks and strap at rear in the luggage compartment

++

delbox Look at part 12 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_7739

I'm guessing you have part 51166813720 but if you replaced this with part 51166813111 then you could run a wire from the socket to spare slot in the fuse box or piggy back another power source and you'd be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2018, 02:36 AM   #15
delbox
United Kingdom
Rep

Thank you all for your comments; you have given me some food for thought. Decisions, decisions ..... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 03:51 PM   #16
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by strike4A View Post
This is one of the components of the Extended Storage (493) option that we have in the UK as I referred to earlier. The full list is as follows:

- folding compartment below the driver's side
- Lockable glovebox
- 12V Power socket in rear centre console
- Storage nets behind front driver and passenger seats
- Lashing rails and four adjustable lashing eyes for luggage compartment floor
- USB interface in the second row (charging only)
- one USB adapter
- Multifunctional hooks in the luggage compartment side panels, left and right

Note: in combination with option code 300 'Emergency spare wheel': deletion of lashing rails, hooks and strap at rear in the luggage compartment
Here in Netherlands, according to the new pricelist (valid from april 2018), the option "USB interface in the second row" is gone.

I believe, that standard equipment is only ONE USB in central console in the front. I did see today (in the showroom) another USB port in the front armrest, but no one was able to tell me, where it did come from. The model was equipped with option 493, but also with two microphones and wireless charging pad. If I list those options in the price list, there is not a single word, that it adds additional USB port(s).
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 05:33 PM   #17
tyranimo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Here in Netherlands, according to the new pricelist (valid from april 2018), the option "USB interface in the second row" is gone.

I believe, that standard equipment is only ONE USB in central console in the front. I did see today (in the showroom) another USB port in the front armrest, but no one was able to tell me, where it did come from. The model was equipped with option 493, but also with two microphones and wireless charging pad. If I list those options in the price list, there is not a single word, that it adds additional USB port(s).
In North America it's part of the "enhanced connectivity" package
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 02:42 AM   #18
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

In the Netherland the extra 12v and USB socket in the center console in the back are listed in the storage compartment package.

The complete package contains: luggage nets on front seatbacks and in passenger-side footwell; cargo area items include luggage net on left side; 2 cargo rails with 4 fastening points, a reversible mat, and a multi-purpose hook and a tensioning strap on each side. Power outlets in front center console storage compartment, rear center console, and in trunk.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 03:11 AM   #19
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
In the Netherland the extra 12v and USB socket in the center console in the back are listed in the storage compartment package.

The complete package contains: luggage nets on front seatbacks and in passenger-side footwell; cargo area items include luggage net on left side; 2 cargo rails with 4 fastening points, a reversible mat, and a multi-purpose hook and a tensioning strap on each side. Power outlets in front center console storage compartment, rear center console, and in trunk.
According to price list valid from april - not anymore. Price list was released 31.1.2018. Itīs for diplomatic sales.
I would definitely order the package as you described it, but I cannot, since itīs not available with that options.

Where does your information come from?

Last edited by titomi; 02-17-2018 at 03:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2018, 01:28 PM   #20
Yizu
Private First Class
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive M-Sport

I just checked the pricelist on the Dutch BMW website and it is still listed in the storage compartment package. Does not know if a diplomatc sale has a different pricelist (page 9).

https://www.bmw.nl/content/dam/bmw/m...8257.pdfebsite.

Last edited by Yizu; 02-17-2018 at 01:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 02:53 AM   #21
shemazar
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 e46 m3

Anyone know the max amperage of the various 12v ports?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #22
swestland85
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 + F21

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yizu View Post
I just checked the pricelist on the Dutch BMW website and it is still listed in the storage compartment package. Does not know if a diplomatc sale has a different pricelist (page 9).

https://www.bmw.nl/content/dam/bmw/m...8257.pdfebsite.
This is a more up to date version of the Dutch pricelist, september version. It still mention storage pack as standard equipment with 12v charger in center console and 12v in armrest and one in the trunk right compartment. So I count three 12V sockets.

I just did a compare between the april pricelist and september one. Mentioning of USB port in center console was removed in September....
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Prijslijst-BMW-X3-9-2018-v3.pdf.asset.1529050940826.pdf (2.57 MB, 893 views)
Previous cars: E91 330d High Executive, Sapphire Black | F21 120i M Sport, Sapphire Black | F31 320dA Efficient Dynamics Edition, High Executive, Imperialblue, Luxury Line, Style 392 17" | E90 325i Montego blue, saddelbrown leather, V-style 285 17" rims

Last edited by swestland85; 07-20-2018 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0