BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #1
335ifanatic
Major
Rep
Drives: Revuelto, Urus Performante, X5

Key fobs failed, sensor needs to be replaced!

So pretty hectic day for me yesterday. I went out for dinner and upon returning to my X3 I received a message on the dash telling me to place my keyfob on the side of the steering wheel. I did, nothing. So I tried my display key fob and again nothing. My X3 wouldn't start.

I called BMW and they told me to try a few different things like lock the doors for 10 secs and hit the start button but eventually we gave up because nothing was working. I had to wait around for a few hours for a tow but eventually my X3 ended up the dealership. Long story short, my SA called and it turns out the key sensor/module failed and my dealer has to order a new part from Germany which will take around 3 weeks to arrive. My X3 is still like new so shocked this would happen without any warning. I've probably owned 10 BMW models and this has never happen to me before. Has anyone had a similar issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 11:38 PM   #2
focker
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Any chance some Benz driver dropped some of this by your X3?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Any real answer on this? I just found this thread by searching as my wife's 2019 X3 30i had the same thing this morning. Car would only start by holding the fob next to the key symbol on the right side of the steering column. The second fob, which is never used, still works and she went on her way. Took a look at the owner's manual, which said the problem might be due to a low battery. Replaced the CR 2032 battery, which only had 2.47 volts with a new one which had 3.3 volts. We'll see if that did the trick or else she'll have a trip to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 12:27 PM   #4
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Any real answer on this? I just found this thread by searching as my wife's 2019 X3 30i had the same thing this morning. Car would only start by holding the fob next to the key symbol on the right side of the steering column. The second fob, which is never used, still works and she went on her way. Took a look at the owner's manual, which said the problem might be due to a low battery. Replaced the CR 2032 battery, which only had 2.47 volts with a new one which had 3.3 volts. We'll see if that did the trick or else she'll have a trip to the dealer.
Good luck but keep an eye on the key fob remote after the battery change.

Recalled seeing another thread about a key fob losing its ability to lock/unlock over a normal distance. He did an experiment comparing the two fobs, and eventually came to a conclusion that one of his key fobs was defective, and the dealer replace that one for him.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, we'll keep an eye on it. She came home and here fob is working correctly with the new battery for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 06:20 PM   #6
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

Update - the fob developed the same problem again only 3 days after installing a new battery. Fob could only start the car while holding the the fob next to the key symbol on the side of the steering column, wouldn't lock or unlock the car. Going in to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:00 PM   #7
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
Update - the fob developed the same problem again only 3 days after installing a new battery. Fob could only start the car while holding the the fob next to the key symbol on the side of the steering column, wouldn't lock or unlock the car. Going in to the dealer tomorrow to have it checked out.
Good luck with the exchange!

I also had a couple of weird incidences recently. Put keys and cell phone in cup holders and started the car ok. But a warning popped right up and said something like 'remote missing' (forgot exact wordings). Took the key fob out of the cupholder and place it next to the steering column where the sensor is to clear the warning. It did not happen when I have the keys in my pocket. Not sure if it's the location (cupholder), or the proximity to my phone. Will keep an eye out... :
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 02:15 PM   #8
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

This is my wife's car, she keeps her fob in her handbag, along with her cell phone and lots of other stuff, so who knows. Dealer expects to have it at least overnight. On my 2019 X3 M40i, I've seen that remote missing message on the screen and then it disappeared without me doing anything. My fob stays in my pocket 99% of the time along with my house and office keys on a separate keyring. The fob could have been in the cupholder near my cell phone when I saw that message, I'll make a note of what is where if I get that message again, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 02:00 PM   #9
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

My wife is getting her car back today. The service adviser told her that her fob was never changed from "transport mode" so they changed that and now it is fixed. I'm having a tough time understanding that since she's been using the car with only that fob for 6 months. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #10
Tchgrif
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

about half the time I unlock get in and start the car and the "key fob missing" error message comes up. it let me unlock and start the car but then loses the connection with the fob. of course the technicians cant get it to replicate......they should get that phrase tattooed on their foreheads.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchgrif View Post
about half the time I unlock get in and start the car and the "key fob missing" error message comes up. it let me unlock and start the car but then loses the connection with the fob. of course the technicians cant get it to replicate......they should get that phrase tattooed on their foreheads.
I had this weird error message a couple of time if I put the key fob in the cup holders next to my phone. If fob is in my pocket and away from phone, never had any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
PaulE
Private
United_States
Rep

My 2019 X3 M40i has had a couple of similar events, telling me the key fob is missing when it is in my pocket but I press the start button and the car starts, or the comfort access won't work to unlock when the fob is in my pocket, but pressing the unlock button the car unlocks. But one of the fobs for my wife's car just gave up. The only thing it could do was start the car by holding the fob next to the key symbol on the steering column. At least the dealer gave her the oil change that wasn't due for another 1,900 miles so she hopefully won't have to make another trip back to the dealer for a while.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 04:21 PM   #13
caeguy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X30i

Here's my story. Had to get a replacement.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564911
Appreciate 0