BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-09-2018, 05:42 PM   #45
RocketRomeo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaz View Post
its also harder to find a AWD dino, i looked in my region and nothing
I just googled and there’s one on the same road as
My head office.... didn’t even realise... I’ll see how much tomorrow and get my car done stock... and then JB4 when it arrives
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:09 PM   #46
Quick18
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Stop by and I will slap on an BMS intake and JB4 plus buy the beer.....

After that 20 minutes is up, you decide what we do but it better include whisky.

Man, if I was in a couple hundred miles of Texas I would take you up on that. Unfortunately, I'm in NC.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #47
HornMfan
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmDawg View Post

After that 20 minutes is up, you decide what we do but it better include whisky.
I might hit DFW and take you up on that offer hahaha.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 12:45 AM   #48
HornMfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick18 View Post

Man, if I was in a couple hundred miles of Texas I would take you up on that. Unfortunately, I'm in NC.

Sucks that you went through that man. Is that dealer a normal Dinan installer listed on the Dinan site? If so, that's pretty bad...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:27 AM   #49
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick18 View Post
Well after one week we've given up. My local dealer gave me my money back in-full and returned the vehicle to stock configuration. Apparently it was too difficult to contact Dinan or they were not getting the information they needed to solve the thrown code problems. I'm disappointed but did not want to become the test mule long term.
I have had previous experience with Dinan - Stage 1 for the N63TTV8. Installer did have initial problems with the Dinan supplied laptop and cable. However, they got it sorted. Ironically one of the BMW dealers that I had planned to use for the install couldn’t get it done after a number of attempts, thus I ended up going to an Independent Shop for the tune. No problems thereafter.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 09:11 AM   #50
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HornMfan View Post
I might hit DFW and take you up on that offer hahaha.
It is seriously simple. I am not all that handy and my nextdoor neighbor who owns a shop was going to do it for me. About an hour before he came over, I laid everything out so it would be ready for him as soon as he got here. I then decided to go ahead and disconnect the battery so he would have one less thing to do. Then I decided to go ahead and pop off the engine cover. I glanced at the JB4 and told myself, this can't be hard and I went ahead and just installed everything.

Identifying the correct connections in the harness is the most difficult part but since it only fits, where is supposed to go, it's a pretty harmless chore.

The intake is just a simple bolt on.
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2018, 12:39 PM   #51
72M4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 Alpine White M4

The dealer that attempted my installation was a long term Dinan dealer (Quick 18)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:29 AM   #52
HornMfan
Rep

Well Dinan replied in another forum thread that they won't be developing any further stages past the stage 1 tune for our cars. Only the X5M, X3M etc. Even though they have the M235i in bigger packages with way more hp/torque. Not sure they real reason...I have a gut feeling that with how underrated the hp/torque numbers from BMW were and the X3M release coming, with the relationship BMW has with Dinan, they told Dinan not to develop our car more so that it wouldn't mess up the X3M sales with the hp/torque numbers being so close. I don't know...but it stinks. I was hoping to add a total of 50-75hp/torque at least...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:50 AM   #53
GGEVOX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G01 M40i, F36 440xi

Quote:
Well Dinan replied in another forum thread that they won't be developing any further stages past the stage 1 tune for our cars. Only the X5M, X3M etc. Even though they have the M235i in bigger packages with way more hp/torque. Not sure they real reason...I have a gut feeling that with how underrated the hp/torque numbers from BMW were and the X3M release coming, with the relationship BMW has with Dinan, they told Dinan not to develop our car more so that it wouldn't mess up the X3M sales with the hp/torque numbers being so close. I don't know...but it stinks. I was hoping to add a total of 50-75hp/torque at least...
I noticed that post as well. I am a total noob here and to BMW but I find that really dumb. I understand getting burned by the X4 platform but everyone should have known that was a niche platform. With the way the sales are going for the G01 I cant see why they would say no outright this early. Its almost like Dinan was hard set to make sure not to.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 07:42 AM   #54
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

I totally understand Dinan's standpoint. I run a business, and if I wasn't very choosy about where to focus my efforts, I would not be nearly as profitable. You have to learn how to say "no" and be smart about where efforts are focused. It's often hard to convey that to a customer who thinks their wants/needs are important and represent a whole market, but I am sure Dinan knows sales numbers very well and can gauge demand better than we can. Just because some customers want a product doesn't mean you can make a business case for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #55
HornMfan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
I totally understand Dinan's standpoint. I run a business, and if I wasn't very choosy about where to focus my efforts, I would not be nearly as profitable. You have to learn how to say "no" and be smart about where efforts are focused. It's often hard to convey that to a customer who thinks their wants/needs are important and represent a whole market, but I am sure Dinan knows sales numbers very well and can gauge demand better than we can. Just because some customers want a product doesn't mean you can make a business case for it.
I can totally appreciate that standpoint. But, I'd argue that there are cars for which they have done several stage kits for that may have better overall sales numbers, but the % of those sales that are being sold to anyone that will actually mod a car are smaller (like the 428i x-drive). This car is being purchased by people far more interested in increasing it's ability than many of the more basic coupes and sedans they've got better kits for. That's all...
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #56
HornMfan
Rep

I still say it's far more likely that they were asked by BMW not to do too much on it to keep the distance between it and the X3M further apart, which makes perfect sense for BMW. I was hoping I'd be able to increase this more than 30hp/torque...so now the X3M is looking more appealing...smart.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 11:40 PM   #57
pcmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

The choice seems clear.. forget Dinan and go with someone who is being supportive; not like Dinan is the only one who can get better numbers.

Fully Loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #58
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

I was only looking for a mild boost in performance. If I wanted extreme, I would have purchased it elsewhere.

It's absurd that a company releases a product and cannot provide adequate support. That applies here (since they obviously have a forum presence) and to their customers and installation facilities.

We planned on purchasing Dinan products for our cars and this lack of product responsibility certainly doesn't sit well with us. I expected that Dinan would have provided a root cause to the problem and corrected it in a reasonable amount of time. Simply overnight a replacement unit and request the defective unit for analysis. I get it, [it] happens so just own it. Leaving Quick18 to wait days for not is truly unacceptable. That tells me there is simply no sense of urgency for Dinan to 'do the right thing'.

Since I believe that Dinan Engineering is actually reading these threads. Show us the respect we deserve and tell us what happened (for this situation) and how you're going to address future occurrences.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #59
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post
I was only looking for a mild boost in performance. If I wanted extreme, I would have purchased it elsewhere.

It's absurd that a company releases a product and cannot provide adequate support. That applies here (since they obviously have a forum presence) and to their customers and installation facilities.

We planned on purchasing Dinan products for our cars and this lack of product responsibility certainly doesn't sit well with us. I expected that Dinan would have provided a root cause to the problem and corrected it in a reasonable amount of time. Simply overnight a replacement unit and request the defective unit for analysis. I get it, [it] happens so just own it. Leaving Quick18 to wait days for not is truly unacceptable. That tells me there is simply no sense of urgency for Dinan to 'do the right thing'.

Since I believe that Dinan Engineering is actually reading these threads. Show us the respect we deserve and tell us what happened (for this situation) and how you're going to address future occurrences.
Just slap on a JB4 and use Map1, it is an additive of +2psi and will run fine on pump gas. Very safe tune but you will feel it.
Appreciate 2
      08-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #60
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Yeah, I’m struggling with their numbers.
My 340iT has been dyno’d by a well known independent here in the UK on a dyno which is known to be consistent and that showed 335bhp (crank) which is over what BMW specify but only by a dozen horsepower.
I believe Dinan’s gains (+25hp, +30lbft) just not the outright numbers.

When my M40i finally arrives I’ll take it down to Surrey Rolling Road and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Every rolling road shows different numbers, but if you use the same rolling road for a "before" and an "after" you can usually get a good handle on what changes have been produced.... hence my comment about finding the +25/30 believable, even if i don't believe the actual numbers.
I'm having the same trouble with their reported crank and wheel numbers, verysideways. The Sim I put together about 4 years ago uses reported HPs as crank and then I use 80% as the number for the wheels to actually see, and the curves it has generated over the years on different platforms across a number of Mnfrs are roughly accurate when c/w real world drag data (at least at the higher speeds with the F25, F26, F30 and current G01 I've compared). Here is a comparison graph I put together today after adding the Jaguar F-Pace SVR and emmanuelyoo's JB4-mod and GT500R's stock runs.

Will definitely be interested in seeing your numbers from Surrey Rolling Road as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #61
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monika View Post

Have no idea what the problem with the unit may or may not of been as it never got that far but I guess we will see what the problem may have been once the unit is back. Have been talking to Quick18 and the short of it is there was a breakdown in the warranty/tech support process as to how the ticket was handled itself. Now that the flaw in the system has been identified however we are looking at solutions to rectify it so it cannot happen in the future. It was a dumb mistake and I will be the first to say it shouldn't have happened but, unfortunately, it did.
Appreciate 5
///Monika186.50
j1980mac262.50
sinbad4779.50
BMWZ41904.00
      08-13-2018, 12:09 PM   #62
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

This is greatly appreciated. Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Have no idea what the problem with the unit may or may not of been as it never got that far but I guess we will see what the problem may have been once the unit is back. Have been talking to Quick18 and the short of it is there was a breakdown in the warranty/tech support process as to how the ticket was handled itself. Now that the flaw in the system has been identified however we are looking at solutions to rectify it so it cannot happen in the future. It was a dumb mistake and I will be the first to say it shouldn't have happened but, unfortunately, it did.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 03:12 PM   #63
JAY56641
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Thanks for responding Dinan. Am thinking of getting your tune soon and was concerned that the forum didn't hear back regarding what was going on.
      08-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #64
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
BMW doesn't have a relationship with Dinan or any aftermarket tuning company for that matter. Some dealers (mind you privately owned) decide to become Dinan approved dealers...remember once you involve BMW NA they could care less about Dinan. Also, it should be noted Steve Dinan is no longer part of Dinan and they were bought out by the same company that owns APR...I suspect their business model has changed a bit.

So with that said I couldn't see BMW taking the time to tell an aftermarket tuning company to not develop their cars. As Dinan themselves say the X3 M40i market is pretty small in the grand scheme of things...I mean how many people here even have wheels, general mods, etc? Although the M40i is new 95% of people aren't modding them...

If you want additional power the B58 engine ECU has finally been cracked (go check out the F30 engine forum) and flash tunes are available producing 2-3X the gains of piggybacks all while being smoother and shifting far better (remember just about every piggyback has had 8AT shifting issues with the B58 - go see the F30 forums for complaints). Actually a full flash tune is far cheaper than this Dinan Stg1 while being superior in every way. This coming from somebody who owns a Dinan B58 tuner...
Appreciate 1
      08-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #65
GT500R
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksM3 View Post
If you want additional power the B58 engine ECU has finally been cracked (go check out the F30 engine forum) and flash tunes are available producing 2-3X the gains of piggybacks all while being smoother and shifting far better (remember just about every piggyback has had 8AT shifting issues with the B58 - go see the F30 forums for complaints). Actually a full flash tune is far cheaper than this Dinan Stg1 while being superior in every way. This coming from somebody who owns a Dinan B58 tuner...
Please provide links that show gains 2-3X that of a piggyback... so like 120-180 hp? Or just links that show comparisons please, I have been trying to figure out which route I should go.
10.6@130 Dragy / +820 DA The Streets |
NOW: Tesla Model Y Performance
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #66
dereksM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG 340i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500R View Post
Please provide links that show gains 2-3X that of a piggyback... so like 120-180 hp? Or just links that show comparisons please, I have been trying to figure out which route I should go.
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1516067

Mind you this is the first tuner to officially tune the B58 but a solid 70whp is pretty darn good for a bone stock car...especially when you factor in the drivability, shifting, fueling limits, etc. If Dinan is only getting 30-35whp this is 2X. You factor in you can't do Stg2 with most piggybacks and yes I'm sure you will easily see 100+whp.

Not meaning to start a tuner/piggyback war but personally having just about every piggyback over the last 2yrs on my B58 340i I haven't been that impressed. The B58 with the 8AT and torque intervention just hasn't done well with piggybacks. Once you get above the "common" Stg1 piggyback you start running into drivability issues, drivetrain malfunctions, shift delays, etc. I'm sure it's no secret why Dinan doesn't push it too far and why I settled on their tune for now. If you just want to through a splash of E85 in their and run some good 1/4 mile times the JB4 is it...however the drivability isn't there imo. If you want proof there's already a few members who have converted from JB4, AA Active-8, Dinan etc
Appreciate 0