BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2018, 04:17 PM   #23
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Weld the exhaust valves shut
Or maybe get a Model X? Doubt you'll find any other performance SUVs out there that have quiet exhausts. Pops and bangs are all the rage now. Market forces and whatnot.
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2018, 05:10 PM   #24
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Alright, I know many people think the exhaust is so cool with the popping and crackling...but I HATE IT. I MEAN REALLY HATE IT. To me is sounds like a car that has not been properly tuned. Poor workmanship. I don't want the constant stares and attention.

Cars should be QUIET! I love tight handling, I love quick response,BUT THIS HORRIBLE NOISE has got to go. Is there any way in heck that I can shut up the exhaust back-firing noise, without being in only comfort mode.

Anyone know how to get rid of it. They did on my 3 series years ago.
I won't jump on you, but I'm curious if you bought the car without seeing videos or test driving or checking forums? I knew going in that it sounded like this. Seeing several posts from you, it appears you are not happy with the car for many reasons...I hope you're able to trade it for something that works for better for ya.
As for the exhaust, I don't think there's anything you can do about it outside of comfort mode...without permanently fixing the flaps I in the exhaust I guess or switching out the exhaust for another aftermarket exhaust that won't do it? Either way, I don't think there's anything you can do outside of dropping some cash.
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      07-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #25
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well actually it is the opposite. I put it in to manual to lower the revs and change gears at a much faster pace. I am used to driving a manual, so for me, this is a no-brainer.

An engine Reeving above 3 is ridiculous and noisy. Worse it stays high for an undue amount of time where you have to push the gas even more to get it to change over. Pop it over into manual and force it to go down. No crackling then.. Thus, if it is engine exhaust, then it would pop and crack even when I force it down. It doesn't . Why? If it is the engine.

Thus..I am not sure it is a mechanical engine issue, but rather a programmed response because some people need this horrible loud noise.

I really dislike noisy cars. Sounds cheap and poor quality.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It sounds like you're saying when you flip it to manual/sport by moving the gear shift to the left and either manually shifting or using the paddles, that when you slow the engine down that way, it doesn't pop and crack? Sounds like your car is jacked up then. When I put mine in manual mode, I can make it crack and pop even more...accelerating into the 3-4k rpm range, then backing off of it...or downshifting all cause it. So I don't get it. I still maintain curiosity as to why you bought this model...
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
ZHPsedan135.50
      07-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #26
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know, most persons seem to like it.
The dealer adviser loves it...not me and he did looked shocked when I asked if that could be turned off. For me it is SO SO "tacky" and low class. Attention seeking plus feels like the car is not properly taken care of. You know, like those cheap cars that put a muffler to make them sound loud. Just not my style.

The handling I want. The engine ability I want. The noise I do not.

It is a good theory of why the noise, however, as I stated above, I am suspecting that this is a programmed issue and not an engine issue. Take the same engine in a 3 series, which I am driving right now as a loaner car and NO popping and crackling. None.

EXACT SAME ENGINE. If the theory was true, then all 3 series in sports mode, with the same engine would have a similar response. They don't. Thus there has to be some kind of programming involved.

It's not the same, unless it has the M Performance exhaust...
Appreciate 1
focker155.00
      07-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #27
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:
3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
DISPLACEMENT (cc) 2998
TORQUE (lb-ft @ rpm) 369 @ 1520–4800
(I stand correct on the torque, but look at the specs on everything else)
Gear ratios, acceleration, top speed, etc.

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3-se...fications.html

That car you're driving is not the same. The hp and torque are both lower based on the links you're providing.
HORSEPOWER (hp @ rpm)
320 @ 5500

TORQUE (lb-ft @ rpm)
332 @ 1380–5000

That's 30-35 less in each category. And no M performance exhaust. I think you're misunderstanding what you're driving compared to the M40i. The reason for the M40i being faster and louder is the tuning and the exhaust, both of which are less aggressive on the 340. You talk about wanting a performance care that is quiet. But you tell me what car you've seen that is like that but quiet. Porsche? Nope. Ferrari? Not. Mercedes AMG? Same exhaust sound as ours. BMW M3, M5...etc. All loud exhaust. I'd recommend Tesla.
Appreciate 2
frank2315.50
focker155.00
      07-08-2018, 05:49 PM   #28
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Alright, I know many people think the exhaust is so cool with the popping and crackling...but I HATE IT. I MEAN REALLY HATE IT. To me is sounds like a car that has not been properly tuned. Poor workmanship. I don't want the constant stares and attention.

Cars should be QUIET! I love tight handling, I love quick response,BUT THIS HORRIBLE NOISE has got to go. Is there any way in heck that I can shut up the exhaust back-firing noise, without being in only comfort mode.

You always have the option to purchase an aftermarket exhaust system that could make less noise.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 1
      07-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #29
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yes. The only way to get that sound is with engine ignition timing. If you're on the hill keeping the revs high it's not going to cause it. You have to remove engine load (decelerate).

I'm still not understanding why the sport individual doesn't get what you need. Still a world of difference from a 30i. I took mine around the block with the below settings and it seems to be exactly what you're asking for. Sporty handling, same sport shifting behavior, just no noise.
This is the answer..this Individual Sport setting with engine in comfort mode. The other option is Adaptive (or even comfort) mode with the gear shifter in sport position.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:30 PM   #30
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
DISPLACEMENT (cc) 2998
TORQUE (lb-ft @ rpm) 369 @ 1520–4800
(I stand correct on the torque, but look at the specs on everything else)
Gear ratios, acceleration, top speed, etc.

You're URLs are the same.

But, regardless, Both X3 M40i and 3 series 340ix use the new B58 engine, but they are differently tuned.

X3 M40i:
355 HP w/ 369 Torque

3 series 340ix:
320 HP w/ 332 Torque

Regardless.. the popping seems to come when higher performance is desired. This is not a BMW thing.

This guy EXPLAINS pretty well why engines will pop. He relates as side effect of larger performance exhausts. That may be true. When I put larger exhaust on my Audi, it would pop on quick let offs - though not as dramatic as the M40i.

If this is the case, then why no pops on other modes? Most in this forum are aware the M40i has a butter fly valve that shuts down one side of exhaust. It's known to do this at cold start for both noise and quicker engine heat up. It may be that other drive modes keep half of the pipes closed when not in Sport mode? IDK. Hard to check. But opening valve in combination with slight engine tune may yield the better performance and engine pops.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #31
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
The flaps adjust the volume of the exhaust. The pops are specific to fuel being dump d into the exhaust and is a function of engine valve timing.
Appreciate 1
Tchgrif257.00
      07-08-2018, 11:17 PM   #32
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

The exhaust burble is one of the defining characteristics of the X3 M40i and I think it sounds amazing. A lot of other high performance SUV's burble as well, like the Jaguar F Pace and Porsche Macan.
      07-08-2018, 11:51 PM   #33
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Buy an electric car.
Appreciate 2
      07-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #34
BigEvan1923
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 LCI G07 M50i E46 M3 G01

when you figure out how to remove your pops, send them to me. I'll take the burbles too. thx!
Appreciate 1
      07-09-2018, 12:14 AM   #35
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

The Macan has a button to turn off the the sound with its sports exhaust, don’t see how difficult it is so BMW can’t offer it, it a long trip form e the drone Sounds would be annoying
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 03:27 AM   #36
verysideways
Lateral grip estimator
Rep
Drives: i4, M2

Garage List
I have a 340i.
It also make the pops and crackles - just much more quietly and only when the exhaust is hot.
That also has a valved exhaust, so you can turn it down by putting it in comfort or eco-pro.

If you don't like the pops and crackles, just disconnect the exhaust valve and/or drive it in comfort or eco-pro.

As someone else has already said, most people who want a 'performance' SUV also want the fruity exhaust - those that don't either live without the performance, or buy an electric equivalent.

I suspect you could get an exhaust shop to add another silencer into the system if you're that bothered, but that may also impact on performance.
'02 Morgan Aero 8
http://petrolhead.tours
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 05:37 AM   #37
PSU335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 911

I actually thought the m40i was a lot quieter than my previous car....and it was NOT a cheap poorly tuned car (991.2).
Appreciate 1
deladude266.00
      07-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #38
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Maybe next time, don't purchase a car with a "M" or a "AMG" in the name since they pop about the same?
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2018, 12:56 AM   #39
socalhawki
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3MC Donington & Sakhir

Whatcha talking about Willis?

Quote:

Performance cars aren't quiet unless they're electric. Not sure what part of LA you live in, but few people would actually stare at an X3 M40i unless it was on fire. I love this ride but it's not a big deal in the city of cars.
2018 X3 M40i "I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #40
Siouxbie
Rep
Drives: Future X3 M

It is extremely tacky and provides absolutely zero performance gain. The true track built BMW's don't even have the stupid pops and bangs. It was created because the average American is light years away from a real car enthusiast and just thinks it "sounds cool". No, it sounds fake and it is fake. No real world benefit.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 02:41 PM   #41
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxbie View Post
It is extremely tacky and provides absolutely zero performance gain. The true track built BMW's don't even have the stupid pops and bangs. It was created because the average American is light years away from a real car enthusiast and just thinks it "sounds cool". No, it sounds fake and it is fake. No real world benefit.
Yikes. This thread is incredible to me... I am all for people having their own opinions but going out and saying the sound is "low class, tacky, fake" etc is ludicrous.

These guys are saying "I'm sure people will jump on me, so let me just attack everyone else's preferences first."

Take a look at nearly any high performance car (that isn't electric) and they all make similar sounds. My 2009 135i burbled and popped, my E46 M3 burbles and pops, my 2015 M4 burbled and popped. This isn't new.

I personally love the sound, but I am still impressed with how variable the manufacturers can make it. If you don't want attention, put the car in comfort mode... you shouldn't be driving it that fast on city streets near pedestrians anyways :
Appreciate 2
      07-11-2018, 02:50 PM   #42
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Yes. The only way to get that sound is with engine ignition timing. If you're on the hill keeping the revs high it's not going to cause it. You have to remove engine load (decelerate).

I'm still not understanding why the sport individual doesn't get what you need. Still a world of difference from a 30i. I took mine around the block with the below settings and it seems to be exactly what you're asking for. Sporty handling, same sport shifting behavior, just no noise.
This dude refuses to listen to reason. Sor has definitely laid out a perfect solution to your extremely odd problem.

I'm just curious as to why you're keeping revs high if you're trying to be quiet.
Appreciate 4
focker155.00
SSIMPS110.50
deladude266.00
      07-11-2018, 04:02 PM   #43
TxHornX3M40iGuy
TXHornX3M340iGuy
United_States
Rep

Quote:

If by "track built" you mean track focused, which all M3, M4, M5, X5M, et al all are...then you've never driven one. They ALL sound like this, so you'd be wrong on this. And I have friends that own Porsche's, including a GT3 RS...that sound just like this. SO...again...you're wrong.
Appreciate 2
SSIMPS110.50
deladude266.00
      07-11-2018, 04:14 PM   #44
ParadigmDawg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 AMG GLC63s

Quote:
Smoke much dope?
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
SSIMPS110.50