BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-08-2018, 02:37 PM   #1
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Angry Call Me Crazy, But I Hate The Popping Sound

Alright, I know many people think the exhaust is so cool with the popping and crackling...but I HATE IT. I MEAN REALLY HATE IT. To me is sounds like a car that has not been properly tuned. Poor workmanship. I don't want the constant stares and attention.

Cars should be QUIET! I love tight handling, I love quick response,BUT THIS HORRIBLE NOISE has got to go. Is there any way in heck that I can shut up the exhaust back-firing noise, without being in only comfort mode.

Anyone know how to get rid of it. They did on my 3 series years ago.
      07-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #2
DigiSage
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dskurth View Post
Alright, I know many people think the exhaust is so cool with the popping and crackling...but I HATE IT. I MEAN REALLY HATE IT. To me is sounds like a car that has not been properly tuned. Poor workmanship. I don't want the constant stares and attention.

Cars should be QUIET! I love tight handling, I love quick response,BUT THIS HORRIBLE NOISE has got to go. Is there any way in heck that I can shut up the exhaust back-firing noise, without being in only comfort mode.

Before the people who base their identity on liking the sound jump on you, I wanted to say that I agree with you. Perhaps not to the same degree, but on the whole, I do not like / enjoy the sound. I am trying to get used to it, trying to like it, but after about 1000 miles, so far it hasn't happened.

I have to wonder, is the sound necessary? In other words, based on the engine/transmission/exhaust combination in the M40i, in sport mode, are the pops a natural side effect? Or are they "added" to make the exhaust sound "better"? If they are added, and not a necessary byproduct of how the car is set up, perhaps they can be removed with a flash.

You are not crazy.
Appreciate 1
dskurth41.50
      07-08-2018, 02:46 PM   #3
munna
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3

Quote:

I'd be curious to know if it can be "turned off". This is the main reason why I didn't go with the M40i and instead settled on the 30i. I just couldn't get comfortable with the noise
Appreciate 2
dskurth41.50
      07-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #4
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiSage View Post
I have to wonder, is the sound necessary? In other words, based on the engine/transmission/exhaust combination in the M40i, in sport mode, are the pops a natural side effect? Or are they "added" to make the exhaust sound "better"? If they are added, and not a necessary byproduct of how the car is set up, perhaps they can be removed with a flash.

You are not crazy.
That is my thinking.
I have never gotten used to it at 2,000 miles. My old 3 series did something similar on startup and the dealership fixed it. Few eye rolls, but they removed it. Why can't this be "fixed", programmed out or something.
Popping, in the past, usually meant lower performance and poor quality.
      07-08-2018, 02:50 PM   #5
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
It doesn't *have* to be there, but there is a performance aspect. It's a side effect of the engine reducing speed. To slow the engine RPM as quickly as possible they dump the extra cylinder contents into the exhaust which causes the pop as the fuel ignites in the exhaust. Sort of like skipping a combustion cycle. It's a sport tuning thing.

Yes, the car would probably be 99.9% as fast as it is now on city streets. There may be some benefit on a track.
Appreciate 1
ando2000.50
      07-08-2018, 02:51 PM   #6
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
I'd be curious to know if it can be "turned off". This is the main reason why I didn't go with the M40i and instead settled on the 30i. I just couldn't get comfortable with the noise
Same debate. But I wanted the M handling and V6 and that only came with the M40i. So I went with that, thinking I could get used to it. I can't.

There must be a way to recode it..as I just can not believe that it is a product of the engine.

let me know if you hear of anything. I need it gone.
      07-08-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
It doesn't *have* to be there, but there is a performance aspect. It's a side effect of the engine reducing speed. To slow the engine RPM as quickly as possible they dump the extra cylinder contents into the exhaust which causes the pop as the fuel ignites in the exhaust. Sort of like skipping a combustion cycle. It's a sport tuning thing.

Yes, the car would probably be 99.9% as fast as it is now on city streets. There may be some benefit on a track.
Can it be "programmed" out?
      07-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #8
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna View Post
Same debate. But I wanted the M handling and V6 and that only came with the M40i. So I went with that, thinking I could get used to it. I can't.

There must be a way to recode it..as I just can not believe that it is a product of the engine.

let me know if you hear of anything. I need it gone.
Since you don't seem to want to use comfort mode, have you played with the sport individual settings? If I recall the engine or transmission setting adjusts the aggression on this.
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      07-08-2018, 02:56 PM   #9
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Since you don't seem to want to use comfort mode, have you played with the sport individual settings? If I recall the engine or transmission setting adjusts the aggression on this.

I have and I want the sport mode to drive with...it is why I purchased the car. I can put it into individual with the suspension, but then you lose the engine performance.
      07-08-2018, 03:02 PM   #10
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I have and I want the sport mode to drive with...it is why I purchased the car. I can put it into individual with the suspension, but then you lose the engine performance.
Well yeah. I mean setting the sport individual engine to sport plus is going to use the aggressive timings that cause the pops. Changing to comfort is still going to be sporty, since you still have a powerful engine.

I have separate settings in sport individual for damping, steering, engine, and transmission.

I don't think you can have the most aggressive engine settings and still lose the pops. You'd have to custom build your own engine programming to your liking, something in between the available programs in the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:05 PM   #11
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well yeah. I mean setting the sport individual engine to sport plus is going to use the aggressive timings that cause the pops. Changing to comfort is still going to be sporty, since you still have a powerful engine.

I have separate settings in sport individual for damping, steering, engine, and transmission.

I don't think you can have the most aggressive engine settings and still lose the pops. You'd have to custom build your own engine programming to your liking, something in between the available programs in the car.
True, changing to comfort can be pretty sporty, however, what I personally love is a balance between a amazing engine and hugging the road on corners and such. so for me, I might as well gotten a 30i instead of m40i. tight handling is amazing..the 30i, did not have that same feel when I drove a test car.

I never liked the popping and crackling. Feels like something that needs to be fixed and quickly. The engine already revs really high on hills..much more so than my 3 series, so I always have to put it in manual to have it behave properly. But no popping and crackling if I do so. So where did the "fuel" go then???? Should it not backfire the same...but it does not. So back to the question, is it really part of the engine or programming?
      07-08-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

True, changing to comfort can be pretty sporty, however, what I personally love is a balance between a amazing engine and hugging the road on corners and such. so for me, I might as well gotten a 30i instead of m40i. tight handling is amazing..the 30i, did not have that same feel when I drove a test car.

I never liked the popping and crackling. Feels like something that needs to be fixed and quickly. The engine already revs really high on hills..much more so than my 3 series, so I always have to put it in manual to have it behave properly. But no popping and crackling if I do so. So where did the "fuel" go then???? Should it not backfire the same...but it does not. So back to the question, is it really part of the engine or programming?
Yes. The only way to get that sound is with engine ignition timing. If you're on the hill keeping the revs high it's not going to cause it. You have to remove engine load (decelerate).

I'm still not understanding why the sport individual doesn't get what you need. Still a world of difference from a 30i. I took mine around the block with the below settings and it seems to be exactly what you're asking for. Sporty handling, same sport shifting behavior, just no noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #13
Njerts
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: x3 m40i

Garage List
I think it has more to do with aggressive down shifting than engine performance.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 03:28 PM   #14
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes. The only way to get that sound is with engine ignition timing. If you're on the hill keeping the revs high it's not going to cause it. You have to remove engine load (decelerate).
Well actually it is the opposite. I put it in to manual to lower the revs and change gears at a much faster pace. I am used to driving a manual, so for me, this is a no-brainer.

An engine Reeving above 3 is ridiculous and noisy. Worse it stays high for an undue amount of time where you have to push the gas even more to get it to change over. Pop it over into manual and force it to go down. No crackling then.. Thus, if it is engine exhaust, then it would pop and crack even when I force it down. It doesn't . Why? If it is the engine.

Thus..I am not sure it is a mechanical engine issue, but rather a programmed response because some people need this horrible loud noise.

I really dislike noisy cars. Sounds cheap and poor quality.
      07-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #15
sinbad4
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
I love the popping.. I roll down my windows to hear it better.

"Adaptive" mode give pretty decent performance, with quiet ride.

I talked about this "popping" noise with some fellow car guys. There is some speculation that it's fuel dumping into exhaust.. not just for noise, but to keep turbo spooled up. I don't have any concrete info to support that theory, however.
Appreciate 3
      07-08-2018, 03:44 PM   #16
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
I love the popping.. I roll down my windows to hear it better.

"Adaptive" mode give pretty decent performance, with quiet ride.

I talked about this "popping" noise with some fellow car guys. There is some speculation that it's fuel dumping into exhaust.. not just for noise, but to keep turbo spooled up. I don't have any concrete info to support that theory, however.
I know, most persons seem to like it.
The dealer adviser loves it...not me and he did looked shocked when I asked if that could be turned off. For me it is SO SO "tacky" and low class. Attention seeking plus feels like the car is not properly taken care of. You know, like those cheap cars that put a muffler to make them sound loud. Just not my style.

The handling I want. The engine ability I want. The noise I do not.

It is a good theory of why the noise, however, as I stated above, I am suspecting that this is a programmed issue and not an engine issue. Take the same engine in a 3 series, which I am driving right now as a loaner car and NO popping and crackling. None.

EXACT SAME ENGINE. If the theory was true, then all 3 series in sports mode, with the same engine would have a similar response. They don't. Thus there has to be some kind of programming involved.

Last edited by dskurth; 07-08-2018 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #17
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
EXACT SAME ENGINE. If the theory was true, then all 3 series in sports mode, with the same engine would have a similar response. They don't. Thus there has to be some kind of programming involved.
Actually, it isn't the same exactly. Assuming you are referring to the 340i (no 'm340i' variant exists), the base engine is indeed the same, but the X3 M40i has additional tuning for more hp and torque. So indeed there is additional programming involved, and I would think they could have achieved virtually the same result without the popping etc. sounds.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:03 PM   #18
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank23 View Post
Actually, it isn't the same exactly. Assuming you are referring to the 340i (no 'm340i' variant exists), the base engine is indeed the same, but the X3 M40i has additional tuning for more hp and torque.
The 2018 3 series 340 ix has the same engine. Same Torque and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. I want to "turn off that tuning". The 3 series I am driving is amazingly responsive and fast. I wanted an M suspension, and could only get that with a m40i. If I could have purchased the same configuration of 3 series, with a SUV body style and with the 6 cyclindar and a m-suspension, I would have. This exhaust sound is embarrassing.
      07-08-2018, 04:04 PM   #19
Kief
Major General
Rep
Drives: '24 iX50; '23 i4 M50

This subforum cracks me up!
'24-I20 iX 50; '23-G26 i4 M50; '22-G82 M4Cx*;20-G05 M50i*; '20-F82 M4CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F80 M3CS*; '18-F85 X5M*; '18-G01 X3M40i*; '18-F80 M3ZCP*; '17-F80 M3ZCP*; '15-F15 X5*; '15-F82 M4*; '12-E92 335is*; '11-E70 X5d; '11-E89 Z435is*;'09-E89 Z435i*; '08-E92 335i*; '06-E90 330i*; '05-E83 X3*; '04-E83 X3*; '03-E46 325Ci* *retired
Appreciate 6
JSY578.00
focker155.00
ZHPsedan135.50
deladude266.00
      07-08-2018, 04:06 PM   #20
frank23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Tesla Model Y

Quote:
The 2018 3 series 340 ix has the same engine. Same Torque and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. I want to "turn off that tuning". The 3 series I am driving is amazingly responsive and fast. I wanted an M suspension, but not this annoying noise.
Which one exactly, all I see on the bmw website is versions with 320 hp.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 04:13 PM   #21
sor
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Actually, it isn't the same exactly. Assuming you are referring to the 340i (no 'm340i' variant exists), the base engine is indeed the same, but the X3 M40i has additional tuning for more hp and torque.
The 2018 3 series 340 ix has the same engine. Same Torque and 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. I want to "turn off that tuning". The 3 series I am driving is amazingly responsive and fast. I wanted an M suspension, and could only get that with a m40i. If I could have purchased the same configuration of 3 series, with a SUV body style and with the 6 cyclindar and a m-suspension, I would have. This exhaust sound is embarrassing.
Sorry, I'm just trying to be helpful. It seems I'm not communicating well because I feel like you've been given the information and a solution.

The same engine can have different tunings. Engine timing can be adjusted. You don't seem to like the "sport plus" tuning and I've tried to tell you how to turn it off. Other cars you have driven with this engine don't have the same timings if they don't make the same sounds.

It doesn't change horsepower or 0-60. It helps in quick shifting scenarios on a track. That's it. You can turn it off via sport individual. You can also turn off the aggressive high RPM shifting by adjusting the transmission in sport individual. I'm not sure what else to say.
Appreciate 2
focker155.00
ZHPsedan135.50
      07-08-2018, 04:15 PM   #22
dskurth
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which one exactly, all I see on the bmw website is versions with 320 hp.

3.0-liter TwinPower Turbo inline 6-cylinder
DISPLACEMENT (cc) 2998
TORQUE (lb-ft @ rpm) 369 @ 1520–4800
(I stand correct on the torque, but look at the specs on everything else)
Gear ratios, acceleration, top speed, etc.

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3-se...fications.html

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/3-se...fications.html