BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-13-2018, 05:39 PM   #133
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

How loud/annoying is this? Is it easily ignored, by say low volume music or podcast? Between this and the steering vibrations that others have reported, Im getting scared off of buying one.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #134
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Does the Mercedes AMG GLC 43 make the same road noise?
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:15 PM   #135
Lux700
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d - Black Sapphire

My friend’s Model S P100D Tesla is amazingly quiet. In fact it’s so quiet, it makes driving a tranquil experience. I find myself turning the sound system off just to wallow in the serenity of it all! I really like it! I suppose it’s because it’s just so unusual to experience such refinement in an automobile.

Anyway, the real reason why I mention this, is because the Tesla has deliberately been built to be quiet. No pistons going up and down, no fuel pumps, oil pumps, water pumps, fan belts and all of the other combustion engine noises, no transmission, and no exhaust. It’s quiet because it ‘has’ to be quiet. If one manufacturer can do it then so can another.

A lot of noises produced by ordinary cars are drowned out by the cacophony of other mechanicals going on. Cars will continue to get quieter and we will continue to grow more discerning. Prestige car manufacturers are finding us harder and harder to please.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #136
pokey63t
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freitz View Post
This is a normal noise of these cars.
Many of us have confirmed in this thread with driving multiple ones.

2018 x3m40i

Noise is from the newer design. Lighter frame echos the noise around the body. Tires don’t help either.

Confirmed noise is the same as my wife’s x1 from 2014 made in Germany. Chip roads far worse. Noise is normal see video I posted a few pages back. I’ve forgotten about the noise all together after a few months of testing everything.
Thanks for the reply. Is a shame though...to me a big fail on BMW part. I took it out on the interstate for a drive today and if it wasn't for that faint "burble / gurgle" noise, it would be an extremely quiet ride. Almost sounds like the exhaust although many on here have disproven that. Hardly any wind noise or tire noise. My five year old 320 I traded for the X3 was one of the quietest vehicles I have ever driven...it was barely a whisper sailing down the interstate. So guess I am spoiled.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:37 PM   #137
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3M40i 2018 & X128i 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokey63t View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is a shame though...to me a big fail on BMW part. I took it out on the interstate for a drive today and if it wasn't for that faint "burble / gurgle" noise, it would be an extremely quiet ride. Almost sounds like the exhaust although many on here have disproven that. Hardly any wind noise or tire noise. My five year old 320 I traded for the X3 was one of the quietest vehicles I have ever driven...it was barely a whisper sailing down the interstate. So guess I am spoiled.
Your five year old 320 had more steel and didn’t have run flats. Also that engine is significantly quieter and weaker then the m40i. The sound is for the push for lighter faster and more capable suv. Try the m3 from the same year and you will hear the sound.

It’s a combination of many things

The sound is easily forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:39 PM   #138
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
Does the Mercedes AMG GLC 43 make the same road noise?
I don’t have one to test. C300 makes the noise but not as loud since boot in run flats
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 10:43 PM   #139
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
How loud/annoying is this? Is it easily ignored, by say low volume music or podcast? Between this and the steering vibrations that others have reported, Im getting scared off of buying one.

Steering vibrations? When turning or what? The wheel in general.

This car is so quiet that other noises seem heightened. Had I road ina Jeep Wrangler I would never notice the other road noises beyond the womp of the tires.

I spent months looking into this noise. I found it present on all modern sport suv. Also the m3 makes this noise. No noise in a m6 or 750i but entirely different class of car. Haven’t tested the 5 series besides the x5.

X3 g01 all make this noise. I’ve test driven 6 m40i, 3 30is, m3, x1, x2 m sport, x5 base, all made this noise on different levels. Mostly heard on chip asphalt. If you never had run flats before any car with them will be loud.

Unless you can afford the new macan gts turbo this car is a joy to drive. I don’t ever remember this noise unless this thread gets popular. If you notice of all the people who claimed to hear it.

Only one actually got rid of the car. It’s present in every vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 04:12 AM   #140
weez
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Competition

Quote:
Steering vibrations? When turning or what? The wheel in general.

This car is so quiet that other noises seem heightened. Had I road ina Jeep Wrangler I would never notice the other road noises beyond the womp of the tires.

I spent months looking into this noise. I found it present on all modern sport suv. Also the m3 makes this noise. No noise in a m6 or 750i but entirely different class of car. Haven’t tested the 5 series besides the x5.

X3 g01 all make this noise. I’ve test driven 6 m40i, 3 30is, m3, x1, x2 m sport, x5 base, all made this noise on different levels. Mostly heard on chip asphalt. If you never had run flats before any car with them will be loud.

Unless you can afford the new macan gts turbo this car is a joy to drive. I don’t ever remember this noise unless this thread gets popular. If you notice of all the people who claimed to hear it.

Only one actually got rid of the car. It’s present in every vehicle.
Meant to say steering wheel vibrations. https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1485010

Well sounds like the noise is tolerable and easily ignored for the most part.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #141
pokey63t
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 sDrive 30i

Quote:
Your five year old 320 had more steel and didn’t have run flats. Also that engine is significantly quieter and weaker then the m40i. The sound is for the push for lighter faster and more capable suv. Try the m3 from the same year and you will hear the sound.

It’s a combination of many things

The sound is easily forgotten
Hey Freitz, just one point of clarification. My 320 did have run flats. I actually replaced them about 6 months ago, again with run flats. Understand your points about the engine and steel content.

For those monitoring the thread...I am not saying the noise would disqualify purchasing the vehicle or make me consider getting rid of it. Outside of the slight noise, it has a great ride, drive and features and other noises such as wind and engine are minimal. It is sort of the case of once heard, then you become aware of it. I imagine over time I won't hear / pay attention to it anymore. Right now it is a new vehicle so I am hyper sensitive to everything on it. And I have a tendency to be a perfectionist
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #142
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hey Freitz, just one point of clarification. My 320 did have run flats. I actually replaced them about 6 months ago, again with run flats. Understand your points about the engine and steel content.

For those monitoring the thread...I am not saying the noise would disqualify purchasing the vehicle or make me consider getting rid of it. Outside of the slight noise, it has a great ride, drive and features and other noises such as wind and engine are minimal. It is sort of the case of once heard, then you become aware of it. I imagine over time I won't hear / pay attention to it anymore. Right now it is a new vehicle so I am hyper sensitive to everything on it. And I have a tendency to be a perfectionist
I too felt the same. Road noise is louder then I expected on chip roads for sure. But not enough to say the car is bad
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 12:56 PM   #143
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I recorded the sound a few pages back for reference.

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=90
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 06:03 PM   #144
aaabbbx
Rep
Drives: x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffHou73 View Post
This is related to an earlier post where I described a "nuisance noise" heard in the M40, not related to wind or tires or exhaust or engine. This noise begins at speeds above 25 mph, sounds like a rattle or gurgle (like an old coffee pot sitting on the stove when its percolating). The noise does not seem to vary with speed once it begins.

I am aware of three owners (including myself) experiencing this noise and am trying to determine how wide spread this might be. Is it possible there are only 3 M40's that make this noise or do all M40's make this noise and just consider it normal?

Please respond if you have the interest and time.

1. Do you have a 2018 X3 xDrive30i (4 cylinder) or X3 M40 (6 cylinder)?

2. What is your production date (found on the tag inside the driver's door) and plant location?

3. Are you experiencing this nuisance noise described above (not wind or tires)?
If so, please provide a description (its somewhat difficult to describe if it is what I am hearing!).

4. Have you attempted to have the noise identified - on your own? at the dealer?

Any information would be helpful.

- My M40i was produced 01/2018 - Spartenburg
- I am working thru BMW Customer Relations, was assigned a Case Manager (who has since left BMW so starting over!) and I've also met with a BMW field engineer for my area. Nothing resolved yet. BMW is still actively pursuing the case, but until the sound can be identified, seem to be dumbfounded as to what to do.

I have it.... with my car.
noticable around 25mph... very loud in 50mph

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2018, 11:04 PM   #145
freitz
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbbx View Post

Have to be honest I can't tell because there is a loud whistling noise. But I hear the what we have identified as normal resonating noise caused from Chip roads. I posted a video a few pages back you could probably confirm with that. Not sure if you read through the posts but multiple cars have been driven and this is on every model of the G01 X3. As well as many other brands and models due to lighter aluminum chassis, run flats, and lack of other sounds which would normal drown this one out.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 06:47 AM   #146
Amiros78
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaabbbx View Post

Have to be honest I can't tell because there is a loud whistling noise. But I hear the what we have identified as normal resonating noise caused from Chip roads. I posted a video a few pages back you could probably confirm with that. Not sure if you read through the posts but multiple cars have been driven and this is on every model of the G01 X3. As well as many other brands and models due to lighter aluminum chassis, run flats, and lack of other sounds which would normal drown this one out.
Hello , i have to a whistiling noice to, have you

Tried to turn of AC ? Sorry for bad english,
Appreciate 0