BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #67
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
I don't think it's about that. I sort of feel the way you do, that with all of the improvements and how great this car will be, that it is surprising people are making a big deal over a slightly better steering wheel. However, I think deep down it is more about feeling short changed.
I agree. It doesn't really bother me too much because I actually like the regular steering wheel. Are people really repulsed by the looks because I kind of like it. That said, I can understand if people feel short changed because that is what is represented and they aren't getting it nor has BMW really been very transparent about it either. I really think some folks really want to have that M on the steering wheel if that M is labeled everywhere else on the car.
Appreciate 1
anotheran389.00
      10-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #68
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeMdblU View Post
are you saying that the steering wheel that'll come on my X3 3.0 is shitty looking pathetic, seriously? is it that bad? in that case I might have to rethink purchasing the whole car, because of the shitty looking pathetic steering wheel.
and by the way I don't know if anyone else noticed that, but when I do a full steering turn with my M steering wheel on My F15, the palm of my hand slides on the bottom of the wheel, the non leather covered part, it really bothers me.

Not necessarily, no. I feel that the M sport steering wheel looks better and is sportier though.

There's precedent for this upgraded steering wheel. BMW obviously felt this was an upgrade to keep it relevant with its current model lineup. Every other M-sport or M40i version of a car has a better looking wheel.

Previous gen's non-M-Sport steering wheel.

Every M40i they've showed off has this M-sport steering wheel for a reason. It looks sporty and people have come to expect that they get a different wheel in the upgraded m-sport version of a BMW.

If they're going to fuck over early adopters in the US they need to be put on blast. I'm not going to hop into a 2019 or a 2020 X3 in a year or two when they finally get this right so it's important to me that this is either rectified or they're put on blast so much so that they fix this issue.

Does MB do this to their customers?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #69
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32 435i

^ Exactly. I'll be putting in an M steering wheel as soon as they become available.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:13 AM   #70
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAP8 View Post
^ Exactly. I'll be putting in an M steering wheel as soon as they become available.
What do you think that will run you?

I think its absurd that these things are rolling down the assembly line in SC and one is getting a good wheel and one is getting a regular wheel just because of where it is heading.
No reason they can't grab one good one from the pile and throw it on.

Hell, from other pictures posted small motor m-sport packages are getting good wheels elsewhere but US $70K versions are getting standard wheels.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #71
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
What do you think that will run you?

I think its absurd that these things are rolling down the assembly line in SC and one is getting a good wheel and one is getting a regular wheel just because of where it is heading.
No reason they can't grab one good one from the pile and throw it on.

Hell, from other pictures posted small motor m-sport packages are getting good wheels elsewhere but US $70K versions are getting standard wheels.
This is total crap for sure. The M wheel itself will be $585. If the airbag in the sport wheel can't be used with the M wheel, that will be another $600 or so. Complete BS.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #72
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
This is total crap for sure. The M wheel itself will be $585. If the airbag in the sport wheel can't be used with the M wheel, that will be another $600 or so. Complete BS.
Don't forget labor, which is likely 2hours or ~$300+. Not to mention an entire day without your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #73
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
Don't forget labor, which is likely 2hours or ~$300+. Not to mention an entire day without your car!
Actually the install is rather fast. I had an ///M steering wheel installed in my prior E92 335i and it didn't take long at all.

That car was built just prior to the M Sport Package being on the ordering menu.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #74
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
I can guarantee you the airbag is not compatible.

So $1300 dollar headache caused by what? I believe the CEO said that this launch has to go well and the vehicle must be a success in the US yet they're trying to pull a fast one on the early adopters.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 08:43 AM   #75
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHPsedan View Post
I can guarantee you the airbag is not compatible.

So $1300 dollar headache caused by what? I believe the CEO said that this launch has to go well and the vehicle must be a success in the US yet they're trying to pull a fast one on the early adopters.
I agree. This literally makes zero sense. Do you know if we are getting lug nuts or are those only going on vehicles going to Europe? Geezus, I get more pissed by the day.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #76
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Anyone have any idea of what steering wheel would be compatible that is on the market today? I notice that the heated steering wheel button is now on the wheel and not on the steering column so any steering wheel swap needs to take this into account.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:49 AM   #77
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
why should we pay for steering wheel that should come with designated model?
when it comes available it should be replace with proper steering wheel at no cost!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #78
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyalpine90 View Post
why should we pay for steering wheel that should come with designated model?
when it comes available it should be replace with proper steering wheel at no cost!
I completely agree and I posted that in another thread. But you know they won't do that.
Appreciate 1
nyalpine907431.00
      10-18-2017, 10:41 AM   #79
3er_Liebe
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Titanium Silver E90

I reached out to my rep to get some information as well and he seemed pretty surprised to find out the M-wheel was not showing up on the order guide. I asked him if there's a way we can rectify this prior to my build going into production and he's now reached out to his Regional Training Manager for clarification.

Basically told him this is a sticking point for me because BMW still advertises an "M Sport" steering wheel on the marketing material/website (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/default.aspx) but are now swapping it for, arguably, a lesser product, which they never advertised in the release nor informed their customers was being swapped in. I'll hold out until it's standard or they add it to my build at no cost.

Agreed with the above, they need to be called on this -- it's extremely disingenuous on their part.

Last edited by 3er_Liebe; 10-18-2017 at 12:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
ZHPsedan135.50
      10-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #80
3er_Liebe
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Titanium Silver E90

Confirmed with my rep that it's a supplier issue and ALL 2018 X3s will come with the sport steering wheel.

Will be holding off on purchase now. Shady on BMW's part to not notify buyers of this replacement.

Last edited by 3er_Liebe; 10-18-2017 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #81
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

The problem is the dealers don't seem to be aware of this steering wheel shortage. Had I not asked my rep to confirm what my build would have installed I would have taken delivery of an M40i with the regular leather steering. I would be upset. BMW should send out a communication to dealers so no other customer might end up with a nasty surprise at delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3er_Liebe View Post
Confirmed with my rep that it's a supplier issue and ALL 2018 X3s will come with the sport steering wheel.

Will be holding off on purchase now. Shady on BMW's part to not notify buyers of this replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:31 PM   #82
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

It seems clear there is confusion from the website and the ordering sheets regarding what steering wheel we will be receiving in our G01 M40i vs what is being shown online and in online reviews and images. For us it isn't a major issue as we currently have both in the 2nd Gen, and they function similarly. Preference? The M wheel does feel more substantial, but does not outweigh the benefits we will receive globally with the G01.

But as I honestly didn't know what dimensional differences we had, I measured, and image is attached. For the 2nd Gen it appears there is a roughly 1cm larger rim circumference with the M-Sport, and the padding is understandably more. This is looks aside and not getting into that (which is important to a lot of folks).

It would seem prudent for BMW to address the issue, at least with Dealerships, so information can be relayed to prospective clients as to how this might be managed down the line. Early model purchases can be fraught with vagaries sometimes, and for some it becomes a deal breaker and other Mnfrs' products then become more appealing. For us it doesn't matter, but it would be a shame to see some here go to other Mnfrs over something like this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 05:36 PM   #83
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

Well I guess I'm not getting a 2018.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 07:30 PM   #84
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirenz2006 View Post
Well I guess I'm not getting a 2018.
Good, less demand = better incentives
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:21 PM   #85
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
I'm going to stick with the sport steering wheel as I do actually like it, but I do agree - BMW is not being upfront about this. I am a little confused as to what it seems like to me a bit of a troubled launch considering the fanfare of the 3rd Gen X3. You'd think they'd try to do everything right and that everything would be polished... Between this and now I read on another thread about Lane Change Assistant that is listed as not available until Dec 2017. Then there was those pics someone posted of a M40i that did not have the special air intake under the fog lights and then there is this launch that happened yesterday that showed the M40i with the M sport steering wheel. What the heck! It's like people who've ordered really don't know exactly what their car is going to look like until they get it. LOL?

That being said, I'm still excited waiting. . . .
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 06:45 AM   #86
meanmusic
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3M Competition

The Canadian order guide I got through the forums here last month indicated the M Sport Steering wheel for the M40i but after discussing this with my rep the order guide he has shows the leather sports steering in its place. It seems BMW quietly updated the order guide at some point.

Quote:
I reached out to my rep to get some information as well and he seemed pretty surprised to find out the M-wheel was not showing up on the order guide. I asked him if there's a way we can rectify this prior to my build going into production and he's now reached out to his Regional Training Manager for clarification.

Basically told him this is a sticking point for me because BMW still advertises an "M Sport" steering wheel on the marketing material/website (http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...s/default.aspx) but are now swapping it for, arguably, a lesser product, which they never advertised in the release nor informed their customers was being swapped in. I'll hold out until it's standard or they add it to my build at no cost.

Agreed with the above, they need to be called on this -- it's extremely disingenuous on their part.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #87
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
It would seem prudent for BMW to address the issue, at least with Dealerships, so information can be relayed to prospective clients as to how this might be managed down the line. Early model purchases can be fraught with vagaries sometimes, and for some it becomes a deal breaker and other Mnfrs' products then become more appealing. For us it doesn't matter, but it would be a shame to see some here go to other Mnfrs over something like this.
The problem I have is that you know they're going to say it's impossible for them to fit what I'm ordering with an m-sport wheel for "reasons" and those reasons will only be them deciding they wont or can't support the US cars' demand for that wheel. Yet they'll happily stick one on a 2.0D with M-sport package going to the UK or Germany.

I know their US website doesn't show the wheel in the build your own catalog, but other than that its starting to feel a little bait-and-switchy with 99% of the pictures available show the M-sport wheel.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #88
KAP8
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Not quite true as ALL 2018 X3 M40i's going to the UK or Germany WILL get the M wheel.
Appreciate 0