BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2019, 06:53 AM   #23
Fenders
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 xDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg2step View Post
I had the dealer rotate mine last month - when my X3 was in for a covered oil change and diagnosis of my active grill issue. I agree I wouldn't go to the dealer just for a tire rotate, but when in for something else, there is something to be said for convenience, already having the loaner car, etc
I hear you. Convenience in my case is that Zippety sets up in my corporate parking lot and does the work while I am at my desk.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:18 AM   #24
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435 & 2016 X5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
The Alenza tires that came on my 2018 M40i (21") and current 2019 M40i (20") both stated on sidewall "OUTSIDE". I take that to mean that as long as the "OUTSIDE" word is facing out, then it doesn't matter if the tire is on the left or right side.
I contacted Bridgestone and that's what they stated to me. Should be the same for any brand.
Im confused.....

If the tire has the word "OUTSIDE" on it, and is staggered, how would one rotate it without dismounting the tires?

Arent stock tires for all M40s staggered?

If back tires both say OUTSIDE on them, and one simply has them taken off and sides swapped while still on the rims, then the word OUTSIDE would actually be on the inside (unless the tire was removed from the rim and swapped around so the word outside was back on the outside).

Are you saying that you have them dismount the tire from the rim, rotate it, then swap the rims to the other side as was said by someone else... or do you actually just have them rotate as we normally mean the word on the same axle, and if so, how is the word OUTSIDE still remaining on the outside without doing the above?

Like I said, I am confused so likely missing something....
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #25
ZHPsedan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 750i

Garage List
2022 BMW 750i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Im confused.....

If the tire has the word "OUTSIDE" on it, and is staggered, how would one rotate it without dismounting the tires?

You are definitely confused.

Quote:
19s aren't staggered.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:38 AM   #26
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i Blue/Cognac

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobsM3Coupe View Post
The Alenza tires that came on my 2018 M40i (21") and current 2019 M40i (20") both stated on sidewall "OUTSIDE". I take that to mean that as long as the "OUTSIDE" word is facing out, then it doesn't matter if the tire is on the left or right side.
I contacted Bridgestone and that's what they stated to me. Should be the same for any brand.
Im confused.....

If back tires both say OUTSIDE on them, and one simply has them taken off and sides swapped while still on the rims, then the word OUTSIDE would actually be on the inside (unless the tire was removed from the rim and swapped around so the word outside was back on the outside).

Are you saying that you have them dismount the tire from the rim, rotate it, then swap the rims to the other side as was said by someone else... or do you actually just have them rotate as we normally mean the word on the same axle, and if so, how is the word OUTSIDE still remaining on the outside without doing the above?

Swapping the left tire to right (without dismounting the tire off the wheel) and right to left, in the same axle (I.e. front left to front right) the word "outside" on the tires will still face outside after the swap. This same applies to the rim/wheel.

That's my impression of a tire rotation in a staggered set.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:50 AM   #27
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechX3M40i View Post
Swapping the left tire to right (without dismounting the tire off the wheel) and right to left, in the same axle (I.e. front left to front right) the word "outside" on the tires will still face outside after the swap. This same applies to the rim/wheel.

Ok, I sat and thought about this more and mentally have the picture of it now. Im going to use the excuse that its early here, AND today is the day we drive 90 miles to go pick up my (wifes) new X3 M40 so I didnt get much sleep last night

Not sure why I was having so much issue picturing it, but yeah it obviously would still say "outside" on the outside when rotated that way.

Thanks for not blasting me on it lmao.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:58 AM   #28
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Ok, I sat and thought about this more and mentally have the picture of it now. Im going to use the excuse that its early here, AND today is the day we drive 90 miles to go pick up my (wifes) new X3 M40 so I didnt get much sleep last night

Not sure why I was having so much issue picturing it, but yeah it obviously would still say "outside" on the outside when rotated that way.

Thanks for not blasting me on it lmao.
Too much excitement in anticipation of the new car huh? Good luck with the delivery process...

Even though you said it's your wife's M40i, I have a feeling that you will like the car so much you end up spending more time behind the wheel than your wife does... Enjoy the ride!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:16 AM   #29
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Too much excitement in anticipation of the new car huh? Good luck with the delivery process...

Even though you said it's your wife's M40i, I have a feeling that you will like the car so much you end up spending more time behind the wheel than your wife does... Enjoy the ride!
Thanks lol! I am excited about this car, and I am excited that she is excited about this car, even though we are coming out of a VERY nice X5d.

Anyway, back to the thread topic. Nice to know the tires are not directional. I never bothered rotating them / having them rotated in previous BMWs but maybe I should at least have them rotated per axle this time.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 10:36 AM   #30
nvestr
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i - Sold

Garage List
I don't see much value in doing the type of rotation mentioned above (i.e. putting front left wheel onto front right). This mirrored flip does not provide much rotation. The M40i most likely has aggressive negative camber, which means the inside of the tire will wear faster than rest of tire. If you simply flip it to the other side, the same part of the tire is still on the inside and wearing at the same rate. It is simply rotating in the opposite direction. Probably better than nothing but most likely won't increase tire life...
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #31
kevinkay
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
I don't see much value in doing the type of rotation mentioned above (i.e. putting front left wheel onto front right). This mirrored flip does not provide much rotation. The M40i most likely has aggressive negative camber, which means the inside of the tire will wear faster than rest of tire. If you simply flip it to the other side, the same part of the tire is still on the inside and wearing at the same rate. It is simply rotating in the opposite direction. Probably better than nothing but most likely won't increase tire life...
Agree and thats why I "old school" - across from back to front - X

and I believe that BMW discourages rotation because of that rear aggressive camber, citing safety and handing issues with different wear patterns.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #32
jjrandorin
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkay View Post
Agree and thats why I "old school" - across from back to front - X

and I believe that BMW discourages rotation because of that rear aggressive camber, citing safety and handing issues with different wear patterns.
You have a square setup?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:26 PM   #33
Radar314
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
C7 GS/Vert/3LT  [10.00]
BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
I always was told not to rotate radials on the same axel. Maybe that was bad advice.
Our X3 was supposed to be my wifes car. I sort of took over her Mini, turbo, convertible with a 6 speed. Now, I have decided I like the X3 and gave her back the Mini. 😎
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #34
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Agree that if you can't rotate front to back (due to differing sizes) it's not worth rotating at all. Even if the tires are not directional, rotating on the same axle doesn't change which tires are getting the primary abuse.
Appreciate 1
ted99242.00
      01-12-2019, 10:22 PM   #35
fw_fw
Freude am Fahren
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 X3 xDrive30i xLine Phytonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
Agree that if you can't rotate front to back (due to differing sizes) it's not worth rotating at all. Even if the tires are not directional, rotating on the same axle doesn't change which tires are getting the primary abuse.
All that, and then considering most of our cars are AWD with near 50/50 weight distribution.....save your money and don't worry about rotating tires.

Current: 18 X3 xDrive30i
Past: 03 530i Sport | 06 330ci ZHP | 14 X1 xDrive35i M-Sport | 11 328i M-Sport | 98 M Roadster
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:00 AM   #36
sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw_fw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sor View Post
All that, and then considering most of our cars are AWD with near 50/50 weight distribution.....save your money and don't worry about rotating tires.
With the rear drive bias on the M40i I would swap front to back if it wasn't staggered. The rears should wear out first.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 03:08 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestr View Post
The only real value can be is if the tire is developing a bit of 'heel and toe' wear (saw tooth) on the shoulder tread blocks. Swapping side to side will level that off, (wheels going the opposite direction) and can prevent tire noise developing.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 04:53 AM   #38
MechX3M40i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I'm in the camp of doing tire rotation if we can do it for free or minimal charges. I agree the value might not be much if the alignment is perfect, but I know from real life experience that hitting a pothole on one side but not the other will cause unevenness between the sides, even if this is small. Unless we check the alignment every week, I don't see how I can assure equal and regular tire wear between the two sides. Hence, the idea of erring on the side of abundance caution. Besides, there is no downside of doing the tire swap as far as I can see...
Appreciate 0