BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-04-2018, 09:00 AM   #23
seanracine@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330i, X3, 540 Sport, 318, 325,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 383vett View Post
I picked up my M40i in January. Now with 2000 miles on it, I thought it would be a good time for an initial oil change (I do an early oil change with all my new cars). I picked up a BMW oil filter (part number 114285838) and 7 quarts of Castrol 0-20. I used a floor jack on the left front jacking point and a jackstand under the A arm. There is a round cover on the undershield that rotates counterclockwise to expose the 17mm drainplug. After removing the plug, I put the car back on the ground and let the oil drain for a couple of hours (another thing I like to do that a dealer won't). Meanwhile, up top, the filter is located on the driver's side of the #6 cylinder near the firewall. I used a 1 1/4" socket with a swivel and extension to remove the cap. Changing the filter was simple and replaced the cap. Going back under, I replaced the drainplug and cover and filled the motor with almost 7 quarts of oil. The motor takes 6.5 liters or 6.9 quarts. I'll let the dealer do the next oil change when they will normally do the first.
Oh, and as for a filter, AMSOIL doesn't make them (why I don't know) so you'll just have to use the BMW one. Also the good part is that you really only need to do an oil change twice a year, so that will save you money in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 10:38 AM   #24
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casotakar View Post
got my oil changed at dealer today. bad news, I forgot to ask for them to put some oil in my blackstone labs kit so I could see if the oil change was indeed worth it....the great news, my dealer only charged me 89 dollars!! I was expecting at LEAST 120-140.
I had the oil changed at 1200 miles, and what you were expecting is what I recently paid; $120. Inexpensive peace of mind IMO.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #25
PSU335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 911

Nevermind. Reread.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 09:00 PM   #26
XXX3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
I picked up my M40i in January. Now with 2000 miles on it, I thought it would be a good time for an initial oil change (I do an early oil change with all my new cars). I picked up a BMW oil filter (part number 114285838) and 7 quarts of Castrol 0-20. I used a floor jack on the left front jacking point and a jackstand under the A arm. There is a round cover on the undershield that rotates counterclockwise to expose the 17mm drainplug. After removing the plug, I put the car back on the ground and let the oil drain for a couple of hours (another thing I like to do that a dealer won't). Meanwhile, up top, the filter is located on the driver's side of the #6 cylinder near the firewall. I used a 1 1/4" socket with a swivel and extension to remove the cap. Changing the filter was simple and replaced the cap. Going back under, I replaced the drainplug and cover and filled the motor with almost 7 quarts of oil. The motor takes 6.5 liters or 6.9 quarts. I'll let the dealer do the next oil change when they will normally do the first.
383vett: thank you for the oil change write up. Question: how much oil spilled out when you removed the filter cap, and did it go all over the side of the block? Did you tighten the filter cap to a specific torque or just snug it up?
Thank you in advance.
2013 Boss 302 Race Red (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
BobsM3Coupe
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5MC

Quote:
Thanks for that write up. I wonder how long the dealer leaves the car level while allowing the oil to drain too
Kinda reviving an older post.

From what I observed today on getting my first service done, about 5 minutes. But I'm not surprised. Time is money to the tech and dealership. I can't blame them.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 05:40 AM   #28
i4M50Guy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by droftrah View Post
Not changing my oil till the car tells me too... I figure the people who built it know best
lol

They may know best but they also want to keep the total cost of ownership down to compete with the other manufacturers who are all doing the same thing.

18,000 miles for the first service is not a good idea, no matter how good modern synthetic oils are.

There is also a known issue with these filters disintegrating and getting stuck, so again, change this more often to stop this happening.

Best practice would be:
- Run in oil and filter change (up to 5,000 miles)
- Change oil and filter at around 9,000 mile intervals
- When the CBS system says you need a service, take the car to an independent or a dealership but provide your own oil to keep costs down. Doing this preserves the warranty and gets the service history updated on iDrive too.
      08-29-2019, 06:21 AM   #29
ValvoLime
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
Quote:
got my oil changed at dealer today. bad news, I forgot to ask for them to put some oil in my blackstone labs kit so I could see if the oil change was indeed worth it....the great news, my dealer only charged me 89 dollars!! I was expecting at LEAST 120-140.
I had the oil changed at 1200 miles, and what you were expecting is what I recently paid; $120. Inexpensive peace of mind IMO.
Aren't oil changes free for the three years/36k miles? Or does that only cover part of the oil change cost (parts or labor only)?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 06:43 AM   #30
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
I didn't know that Castrol made a BMW spec for the B58?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 01:10 PM   #31
pritchd
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValvoLime View Post
Aren't oil changes free for the three years/36k miles? Or does that only cover part of the oil change cost (parts or labor only)?
Free oil change incl. parts & labor -- but only when CBS calls for it or annually if your mileage isn't enough.
      08-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #32
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXX3 View Post
383vett: thank you for the oil change write up. Question: how much oil spilled out when you removed the filter cap, and did it go all over the side of the block? Did you tighten the filter cap to a specific torque or just snug it up?
Thank you in advance.
The cap for the filter is at the top of the housing. Only a couple of drops spilled out. Put a rag around the housing to catch the drops. Just snug worked for me. The cap has a paint mark from the factory. I just made sure it was in the original position when I was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1980mac View Post
I didn't know that Castrol made a BMW spec for the B58?
I actually used the BMW twin power oil (I think that's the name). Misspoke on my original post.
Appreciate 0