BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-11-2020, 11:32 AM   #23
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Try resetting your system so it will relearn how you drive? Can't remember how to do the reset. Maybe someone here can direct you.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 11:53 AM   #24
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhidium View Post
Try resetting your system so it will relearn how you drive? Can't remember how to do the reset. Maybe someone here can direct you.
Wasn't it just for the transmission? Didn't recall anyone saying it's also for dampers.
      05-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #25
chassis
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 9Y0 Cayenne S

Garage List
Ride quality is the path from the road to the driver’s gluteus.

Tires —> wheels —> ball joints —> bushings/dampers/springs —> seat —> gluteus

If anything has changed in this system it affects ride quality. Given that tyres are consumable and that the OP has an adjustable suspension, these are where I would focus. Particularly if you have runflats.

Imo runflat tires, aka extended mobility tires, are the worst invention in modern automotive history. Followed secondly by significant thinning (downsizing, cheapening) of automotive glass.
Appreciate 1
docal48.00
      05-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

The longer I drove on RFTs the more fed up with them I became. They weren’t terrible but there’s a certain signature to their ride that constantly told me what I was riding on. It got too much, I felt it on the M40i test drives so I ordered non-RFTs on 20s and I’m pleased I did.
      05-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #27
satz
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

I detested the Bridgestone RFTs that were on my 2009 335i (Potenzas). But the Bridgestone Alenza RFTs on my current m40i are not as uncomfortable.

I don't get the feeling of the car riding on wooden cart wheels, even though mine are the stock 21 inch wheels.

I'd still consider changing to non-RFTs when the time comes...
Appreciate 1
docal48.00
      05-12-2020, 11:39 AM   #28
Rhidium
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Wasn't it just for the transmission? Didn't recall anyone saying it's also for dampers.
Hmm.. you might be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
The longer I drove on RFTs the more fed up with them I became. They weren’t terrible but there’s a certain signature to their ride that constantly told me what I was riding on. It got too much, I felt it on the M40i test drives so I ordered non-RFTs on 20s and I’m pleased I did.
I was fortunate that the dealer had the X3 with all the options I wanted.. including non-RFT tires with spare tire. If I had RFT I probably would have to buy a new tire due to a flat. Ever since I heard if you get a flat with RFT and you were force to drive on it.. you have to buy a new one.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2020, 11:43 AM   #29
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

There is a lot of runflat bashing here. When my wife is driving home on a rainy night, I would rather she be driving on runflats than any other tire.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41904.00
      05-12-2020, 02:32 PM   #30
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorX3 View Post
Yes I have the adaptive mode, tried it but it feels the same as Comfort. no difference.
Adaptive mode should be 'similar' to Comfort if you drive the same way, over the same roads. Drive harder and the Adaptive function will move to be more like the Sport settings.

What's Sport mode like? Is there a definite difference between Comfort and Sport?

Prove there is a switching on the suspension modes, Comfort to Sport and back to Comfort.

Tires are a bit of a red herring, if only slightly worn and similar ambient temperatures.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:24 AM   #31
RazorX3
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F20 LCI + BMW G01 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
Yes I have the adaptive mode, tried it but it feels the same as Comfort. no difference.
Adaptive mode should be 'similar' to Comfort if you drive the same way, over the same roads. Drive harder and the Adaptive function will move to be more like the Sport settings.

What's Sport mode like? Is there a definite difference between Comfort and Sport?

Prove there is a switching on the suspension modes, Comfort to Sport and back to Comfort.

Tires are a bit of a red herring, if only slightly worn and similar ambient temperatures.
Yes I can feel a difference when I put it to Sport. The suspension becomes stiffer for sure. And yes adaptive mode is no different than comfort.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #32
corn18
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
2014 Jeep Wrangler 2D  [0.00]
2015 Chevy 2500HD  [0.00]
2015 Z4  [0.00]
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I drove 19", 20" and 21" RFTs on demo cars with adaptive suspension before I purchased my wife's X3 M40i. I could easily tell a difference between adaptive and comfort on all three tires but it was most noticeable with the 21". It wasn't a massive difference, but it was there. We ended up with 19" RFTs with adaptive and in adaptive, it is downright comfy GT cruising. In sport, it is hard and annoying because the 19" high wall tires can't keep up with the suspension and drivetrain. Turning hard is scary. I would have preferred the 21" but my wife picked the tires and we tow with this car, so the 19" are a better fit for now.
      05-16-2020, 07:35 PM   #33
RazorX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
I drove 19", 20" and 21" RFTs on demo cars with adaptive suspension before I purchased my wife's X3 M40i. I could easily tell a difference between adaptive and comfort on all three tires but it was most noticeable with the 21". It wasn't a massive difference, but it was there. We ended up with 19" RFTs with adaptive and in adaptive, it is downright comfy GT cruising. In sport, it is hard and annoying because the 19" high wall tires can't keep up with the suspension and drivetrain. Turning hard is scary. I would have preferred the 21" but my wife picked the tires and we tow with this car, so the 19" are a better fit for now.
I also have 19" RFTs, before buying the car I test drove a 20" but without Adaptive suspension, it wasn't as comfortable as 19" that's for sure but it felt like tad bit sportier when it comes to handling.
I tried multiple times to see if there's a difference between adaptive and comfort modes but I really couldn't tell. If there's a difference it must be soooo small that it doesn't matter comfort-wise.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:32 AM   #34
titomi
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 G01 30i xDrive

Garage List
2018 X3 G01  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I also have 19" RFTs, before buying the car I test drove a 20" but without Adaptive suspension, it wasn't as comfortable as 19" that's for sure but it felt like tad bit sportier when it comes to handling.
I tried multiple times to see if there's a difference between adaptive and comfort modes but I really couldn't tell. If there's a difference it must be soooo small that it doesn't matter comfort-wise.
It really depends on what kind of roads and how are you driving to notice the difference between adaptive mode and others.
      05-18-2020, 04:28 AM   #35
RazorX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titomi View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It really depends on what kind of roads and how are you driving to notice the difference between adaptive mode and others.
So technically (and officially) there should be a difference between Adaptive and Comfort?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 07:42 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
So technically (and officially) there should be a difference between Adaptive and Comfort?
There is a difference, but how you feel it will depend on how and where you drive, as already posted. Baseline is still around the Comfort settings. Sport more on 'demand' as you drive.

The way I see it, you shouldn't really feel too much difference as the chassis responds to the demands around you. Driven by both sensor input and the predictive element.

For example, in a passive suspension system, (with a comfort bias), as you drive harder the chassis moves around and you sense some 'lack of control', it is the nature of the dynamics. An active system, there is less drama as you work it a bit harder, the suspension can respond more, as the settings firm up within the Comfort damping map. Adaptive mode widens that envelope even more. There should be less disturbance as you work the chassis harder, dynamics shouldn't fall apart, as if it is running too soft. The sport end of the settings 'take over' to control the chassis, as and when necessary. But will back off immediately, when not essential, ensuring a comfortable ride.

In other words, Adaptive mode is keeping better chassis control on demand, than Comfort alone can.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #37
RazorX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
There is a difference, but how you feel it will depend on how and where you drive, as already posted. Baseline is still around the Comfort settings. Sport more on 'demand' as you drive.

The way I see it, you shouldn't really feel too much difference as the chassis responds to the demands around you. Driven by both sensor input and the predictive element.

For example, in a passive suspension system, (with a comfort bias), as you drive harder the chassis moves around and you sense some 'lack of control', it is the nature of the dynamics. An active system, there is less drama as you work it a bit harder, the suspension can respond more, as the settings firm up within the Comfort damping map. Adaptive mode widens that envelope even more. There should be less disturbance as you work the chassis harder, dynamics shouldn't fall apart, as if it is running too soft. The sport end of the settings 'take over' to control the chassis, as and when necessary. But will back off immediately, when not essential, ensuring a comfortable ride.

In other words, Adaptive mode is keeping better chassis control on demand, than Comfort alone can.
Sounds a bit complicated, but I think I understand the system better now. Thanks for the elaboration.
I didn't know that the adaptive suspension system comes with a predictive algorithm, what I had in mind before is that the system analyzes and reads the road surface and reacts to imperfections in a matter of milliseconds (I once read on a bmw website that it can react up to 400 times per second).
Appreciate 1
docal48.00
      05-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #38
docal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 335i

Quote:
The longer I drove on RFTs the more fed up with them I became. They weren't terrible but there's a certain signature to their ride that constantly told me what I was riding on. It got too much, I felt it on the M40i test drives so I ordered non-RFTs on 20s and I'm pleased I did.
Smart move. Wish I had done that, although the Alenza run flats on my X3 M 4.0 are far superior to the " concrete" Pirelli's I had on my 2008 335i
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 02:42 PM   #39
RazorX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by docal View Post
Quote:
The longer I drove on RFTs the more fed up with them I became. They weren't terrible but there's a certain signature to their ride that constantly told me what I was riding on. It got too much, I felt it on the M40i test drives so I ordered non-RFTs on 20s and I'm pleased I did.
Smart move. Wish I had done that, although the Alenza run flats on my X3 M 4.0 are far superior to the " concrete" Pirelli's I had on my 2008 335i
No RFT and no spare tire? I think that's a bad decision for an SUV imo. Imagine you get a flat tire in the middle of a road trip, what can you do apart from calling road assistance? That'd be a bummer...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #40
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No RFT and no spare tire? I think that's a bad decision for an SUV imo. Imagine you get a flat tire in the middle of a road trip, what can you do apart from calling road assistance? That'd be a bummer...
Never say never but in the UK in 45+ years of driving I’ve not had any more than slow punctures. The compressor will cope with these. The TPMS gives early warning too. Of course I could have a catastrophic failure tomorrow. The car being an SUV is an irrelevant distinction for me, I don’t drive off road. Our TT has no spare either and the TT isn’t offered with RFTs so what’s the difference?
      05-21-2020, 05:01 PM   #41
RazorX3
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Never say never but in the UK in 45+ years of driving I've not had any more than slow punctures. The compressor will cope with these. The TPMS gives early warning too. Of course I could have a catastrophic failure tomorrow. The car being an SUV is an irrelevant distinction for me, I don't drive off road. Our TT has no spare either and the TT isn't offered with RFTs so what's the difference?
I might agree with you on this one, owning 2 BMWs in the last 5 years I had only 2 minor punctures that I fixed in a tire shop with no hassle.
But tbh I don't dare sacrifice the RFTs feature, of being able to go a reasonable distance on a flat tire, for a very minor comfort difference while not having a spare tire to back you up when needed .
Most of X3 owners (and recent BMWs) have went the non RFT route though.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 05:16 PM   #42
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I might agree with you on this one, owning 2 BMWs in the last 5 years I had only 2 minor punctures that I fixed in a tire shop with no hassle.
But tbh I don't dare sacrifice the RFTs feature, of being able to go a reasonable distance on a flat tire, for a very minor comfort difference while not having a spare tire to back you up when needed .
Most of X3 owners (and recent BMWs) have went the non RFT route though.
I've had 11 years on RFTs. In the UK we have loose chippings tarmaced on some roads. These surfaces are very noisy with RFTs...this is just one issue I have with RFTs, the G01 is so quiet I know that RFT harshness would bug me. The comfort difference is very personal, there's a rapid rise time to reaction to bumps in the road, I can't put up with it any longer.

BTW the non-RFTs were an option offered by BMW in the UK.

Last edited by clivem2; 05-21-2020 at 05:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2020, 12:20 AM   #43
b1st
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05, 992

I drive in adaptive mode in city street speed, 45mph or under. Once I'm on the highway I find adaptive actually less comfortable that comfort - so I switch over to comfort on highways.

Also, I find that adaptive starts out more comfortable than comfort and changes to firmer as soon I jab the gas pedal (which I do often). In those instances I switch to comfort and then back to adaptive. That seems to "reset" adaptive back to the most comfort position... until I redline my car again.
Appreciate 1
Douggie142.00
      06-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #44
Douggie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X1, X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1st View Post
I drive in adaptive mode in city street speed, 45mph or under. Once I'm on the highway I find adaptive actually less comfortable that comfort - so I switch over to comfort on highways.

Also, I find that adaptive starts out more comfortable than comfort and changes to firmer as soon I jab the gas pedal (which I do often). In those instances I switch to comfort and then back to adaptive. That seems to "reset" adaptive back to the most comfort position... until I redline my car again.
Thanks for sharing. I always thought adaptive was better and more comfortable than comfort, so I have been using it all the time. But I tried to switch to comfort on the highway today and you're right, it's more comfortable than adaptive.
Appreciate 0