BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-15-2021, 04:40 PM   #309
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
The only way we can get a good DA in Colorado. Look at those temps.
Altitude isn't kind to ICE platforms. There are some equations which translate such data to sea level, and if I'm not mistaken, C&D uses something similar to post their 'Instrumented Tests'. Might be an interesting side project to take those numbers and 'equalize' to SL just to give an idea as to performance potential.

And with my last runs with a decent DA, but temps in the 40's with my PS4S having 11K treadwear, I now have a better understanding how important that component is... I'm thinking temps in the upper 50s, lower 60s with sun shining so the track can warm up - should be perfect. Only way to get that will be renting the track, though!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 10:12 PM   #310
robopp
Captain
831
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by forza1976 View Post
The only way we can get a good DA in Colorado. Look at those temps.
Altitude isn't kind to ICE platforms. There are some equations which translate such data to sea level, and if I'm not mistaken, C&D uses something similar to post their 'Instrumented Tests'. Might be an interesting side project to take those numbers and 'equalize' to SL just to give an idea as to performance potential.

And with my last runs with a decent DA, but temps in the 40's with my PS4S having 11K treadwear, I now have a better understanding how important that component is... I'm thinking temps in the upper 50s, lower 60s with sun shining so the track can warm up - should be perfect. Only way to get that will be renting the track, though!
Anecdotal evidence, but the best run I ever had in my RS3 was with reasonable cold temps (40s) with little humidity (read amazing DAs) and DWS06 all season tires. DAs were too cold for P4Ss and a temp increase helped the P4Ss and the 60', but ultimately the car was slower over the entire 1/4 mile. I wasn't the only one with a PR and all season tires with great DAs
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #311
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Anecdotal evidence, but the best run I ever had in my RS3 was with reasonable cold temps (40s) with little humidity (read amazing DAs) and DWS06 all season tires. DAs were too cold for P4Ss and a temp increase helped the P4Ss and the 60', but ultimately the car was slower over the entire 1/4 mile. I wasn't the only one with a PR and all season tires with great DAs
Makes sense with temps in the 40s - Summers just can't grab well. Everyone I spoke with at the Strip early that morning was excited about the prospect of good times with the low DAs, but the outlier was the overcast skies all day which didn't allow the track to warm up. Down here in the South it's rare to find anyone using All Seasons at the Strip, except for maybe the occ family car or pick-up just out for a fun time.

If the sun had come out early and stayed, I might've had a chance at your record.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #312
robopp
Captain
831
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Anecdotal evidence, but the best run I ever had in my RS3 was with reasonable cold temps (40s) with little humidity (read amazing DAs) and DWS06 all season tires. DAs were too cold for P4Ss and a temp increase helped the P4Ss and the 60', but ultimately the car was slower over the entire 1/4 mile. I wasn't the only one with a PR and all season tires with great DAs
Makes sense with temps in the 40s - Summers just can't grab well. Everyone I spoke with at the Strip early that morning was excited about the prospect of good times with the low DAs, but the outlier was the overcast skies all day which didn't allow the track to warm up. Down here in the South it's rare to find anyone using All Seasons at the Strip, except for maybe the occ family car or pick-up just out for a fun time.

If the sun had come out early and stayed, I might've had a chance at your record.
Can't wait for the season to open back up! I'm hoping to get into the 11.6s. Was so close last year.

If you don't mind me asking - where are you on the southeast coast? I'm in the process of building a custom house in north South Carolina right now. Won't be ready for another year though...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 08:02 AM   #313
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Can't wait for the season to open back up! I'm hoping to get into the 11.6s. Was so close last year.
I really think 11.58x will be attainable in the right conditions and proper fuel. I may try adding a gal or two of E85 like you did as it seems I'm hitting a wall with just 93 Oct. The only high octane they had at the track my last time out was ethanol-free 98 which I'm not sure made a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 11:13 AM   #314
robopp
Captain
831
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Heading to the drag strip this Friday in NH. Should be a dry 40F so amazing DAs. I switched from P4Ss to Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires so grip should be pretty good. I'll report back with my times on Friday night.
Appreciate 1
Max Well4165.50
      04-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #315
X3MMM
New Member
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Heading to the drag strip this Friday in NH. Should be a dry 40F so amazing DAs. I switched from P4Ss to Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires so grip should be pretty good. I'll report back with my times on Friday night.
Stock?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2021, 04:03 PM   #316
robopp
Captain
831
Rep
861
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3MMM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Heading to the drag strip this Friday in NH. Should be a dry 40F so amazing DAs. I switched from P4Ss to Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires so grip should be pretty good. I'll report back with my times on Friday night.
Stock?
Yep, 100% stock. Unfortunately the track was closed due to cold weather this past Friday.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 03:59 PM   #317
X3MMM
New Member
5
Rep
29
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3M
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robopp View Post
Yep, 100% stock. Unfortunately the track was closed due to cold weather this past Friday.
That stinks, plan on trying to go again soon?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 05:17 PM   #318
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Linking my 'Ideal Race Gas for the S58' thread here so it can be found in the future: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1818502
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 11:07 AM   #319
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Here are a few updated spreadsheets after my runs at GNV Raceway two days ago. The details and slips are in my GNV raceway thread - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1672345

Felt really strong despite the DA ~ +2000ft, and I was able to post two of my personal best times (11.640s and 11.659s). If given the chance for more runs without all of the spills and track delays (with the night eventually being cancelled by Staff), I think sub-11.6s might’ve been approachable as I continued working down on the tire psi, especially as it began to cool down after sunset. In the future I won’t be above 33F/35R even to start.
Attached Images
     
Appreciate 1
AlexFL6935.50
      05-03-2021, 11:57 PM   #320
Kevin_The_Clean1
Lieutenant Colonel
Kevin_The_Clean1's Avatar
United_States
1007
Rep
1,917
Posts

Drives: 2020 X3 MC
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Campbell, CA

iTrader: (10)

Max Well - 11.6 is an impressive time for an SUV that weighs about 4,500-4,600 lbs.
__________________
1998 E36 M3 - Totaled
2003 E39 M5 - Gone but not forgotten
2011 E90 335i M-Sport - Daily Driver
2017 F87 M2 - Sold & missed
2020 F97 X3 M Competition - Finally arrived ///
Appreciate 1
Max Well4165.50
      05-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #321
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_The_Clean1 View Post
Max Well - 11.6 is an impressive time for an SUV that weighs about 4,500-4,600 lbs.
Exactly what a number of old-school Drag Enthusiasts said to me when they came to look at her in the staging lanes after my 11.640s run. Everyone always assumes tuned/modified, but when I indicate bone stock they really do just pause. The discussion then always centers on what type of car it would've taken just 20 years ago to run these kinds of numbers. Really amazing what BMW's team has been able to develop in a number of their models. And I'm not talking just brute force straight-line speed, but even the handling on tracks where the F97/98 have shown they can hold their own. Not against high-end coupes and sedans with their lower CGs, I get that, but they certainly don't have to make any excuses if they show up at a track and want to run.
Appreciate 1
      05-21-2021, 03:08 PM   #322
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
1207
Rep
2,602
Posts

Drives: 2009 Z4 35i
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Exactly what a number of old-school Drag Enthusiasts said to me when they came to look at her in the staging lanes after my 11.640s run. Everyone always assumes tuned/modified, but when I indicate bone stock they really do just pause. The discussion then always centers on what type of car it would've taken just 20 years ago to run these kinds of numbers. Really amazing what BMW's team has been able to develop in a number of their models. And I'm not talking just brute force straight-line speed, but even the handling on tracks where the F97/98 have shown they can hold their own. Not against high-end coupes and sedans with their lower CGs, I get that, but they certainly don't have to make any excuses if they show up at a track and want to run.
Without digging through the thread, do you use launch control or just hold it with your brakes?
What revs and how long do you hold it for boost build-up?
__________________
2020 X3M non-comp, Alpine White over black : Exec Pkg, ventilated M Sport seats, 20"s
2020 M2 Comp, Sunset Orange/Blk: Orange stitching, DCT, exec pkg, bicolor rims
Gone '18 M550i, '16 X4 M40i, '15 M5, '13 X3 35i, '12 335is, '11 X5 50i, '09 Z4 35i, '08 550i, 06 X3, 06 650i, '02 M5, '99 540i
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2021, 04:58 AM   #323
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
Without digging through the thread, do you use launch control or just hold it with your brakes?
What revs and how long do you hold it for boost build-up?
LC only. Easy to rapidly double push M2 (where I have the LC parameters programmed) immediately after I stage, count to 3 and let loose. Per the 'Complete Vehicle' tech guide in the Stickies, p. 25, "LC automatically shifts up using the shortest possible gearshift times and performance-optimized shift points", so not sure anything would be gained by just brake-boosting.

If head-head who crosses the line first and not based on ET, even if leaving before the 3 sec as one might do with just brake boosting, would think the gearshift times and points are still being maximized using LC but probably wouldn't be without LC?
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2021, 08:41 PM   #324
LimeRock
First Lieutenant
LimeRock's Avatar
United_States
541
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Windy City

iTrader: (0)

Some new data! Launched 4 times by brake boosting instead of via launch control...
Once I realized MDM does not equal full DSC off, launch control initialized and I got my best run (below).

2021 X3MC
-1/4 tank of 93 octane
-Stock besides Eisenmann midpipe
-Full weight with spare / moonroof and 200lb driver

Best run (launch control): 11.76 @118.31
Attached Images
 
__________________
Current: 2022 M3 Competition, 2011 911 Carrera S
Past: 2021 X3M Competition, 2016 M2, 2013 GTI

Appreciate 1
Max Well4165.50
      06-01-2021, 08:12 AM   #325
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Some new data! ... 2021 X3MC
-1/4 tank of 93 octane
-Stock besides Eisenmann midpipe
-Full weight with spare / moonroof and 200lb driver

Best run (launch control): 11.76 @118.31
Thanks for contributing your formal data, LimeRock .

As DA wasn't provided I looked up yesterday's weather for Racine and Kenosha (about 7 miles away) around the time of your slip, and temp was 70 degrees and DA calculates to +1425. You didn't mention your tire psi so I left that as a question mark on the SC Leaderboard spreadsheet. To provide full disclosure for others when they view it I placed an asterisk by your SC and indicated you have the midpipe mod. As robopp still holds the record, the All Class Spreadsheet didn't change so not including.

Still lacking SNC (non-comp) and St2M+ (Stage 2 Modified plus Meth etc) data so if anyone runs at a Strip feel free to share and I'll add to the sheets.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 2
robopp831.00
LimeRock541.00
      06-01-2021, 06:47 PM   #326
LimeRock
First Lieutenant
LimeRock's Avatar
United_States
541
Rep
370
Posts

Drives: 2022 M3C
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Windy City

iTrader: (0)

Thanks Max Well! I'll check my tire pressures next drive, but I recall they were a bit high...

Wish I saw this sticky ahead of racing, I was questioning whether I could throw 100 octane in, the answer is clearly yes. Curious how much power, if any, is gained on a stock map...
__________________
Current: 2022 M3 Competition, 2011 911 Carrera S
Past: 2021 X3M Competition, 2016 M2, 2013 GTI

Appreciate 1
Max Well4165.50
      06-02-2021, 04:12 PM   #327
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeRock View Post
Thanks Max Well! I'll check my tire pressures next drive, but I recall they were a bit high... Wish I saw this sticky ahead of racing, I was questioning whether I could throw 100 octane in, the answer is clearly yes. Curious how much power, if any, is gained on a stock map...
That's the question. I've spent a fair amount of time trying to research but it seems S58 tuners would be most informed to educate us. I was going to post some general links I found re: 'octane vs HP', but pretty worthless since our S58 is a completely different system.

I will say my last time out with 1/2 tank 93 Shell, 32 oz race gas concentrate and 5 gal Sunoco 260 GT (100 Octane) felt stronger than my other days, and that was with a DA +2000, but who knows...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 07:38 PM   #328
Daniely30
Private
Daniely30's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nyc

iTrader: (0)

2020 x4mc dp bootmod3 stage 2 93 pump. Running pilot sport 4s same size as stock. With half tank and spare in trunk. Full interior. And im 6.3 265
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #329
Max Well
Colonel
Max Well's Avatar
4166
Rep
2,265
Posts

Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Southeast USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniely30 View Post
2020 x4mc dp bootmod3 stage 2 93 pump. Running pilot sport 4s same size as stock. With half tank and spare in trunk. Full interior. And im 6.3 265
Here's your preliminary spreadsheet update, Daniely30 . Like before, though, you need to post your entire slip which shows the track, date, time, and round number. If you don't remember the DA at least that way I (and others) can look up past weather to calculate it, since the run doesn't mean much without that as a reference.

And confused on your tune - before it was E30, is it still that, or were you running just straight 93 pump gas?

If you happen to know your tire psi I can add that as well. I won't update the St2 leaderboard until the blanks are filled in.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2021, 06:20 PM   #330
Daniely30
Private
Daniely30's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
77
Posts

Drives: 2017 340i
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Nyc

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniely30 View Post
2020 x4mc dp bootmod3 stage 2 93 pump. Running pilot sport 4s same size as stock. With half tank and spare in trunk. Full interior. And im 6.3 265
Here's your preliminary spreadsheet update, Daniely30 . Like before, though, you need to post your entire slip which shows the track, date, time, and round number. If you don't remember the DA at least that way I (and others) can look up past weather to calculate it, since the run doesn't mean much without that as a reference.

And confused on your tune - before it was E30, is it still that, or were you running just straight 93 pump gas?

If you happen to know your tire psi I can add that as well. I won't update the St2 leaderboard until the blanks are filled in.
This was at atco NJ april 18. 2021. If i find the slip i will post full pic of it. Psi front 38, rear 42
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.




xbimmers
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST