BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-03-2024, 11:51 AM   #23
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 GO1

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
I’m really surprised no one has called the OP a F_ _ king troll yet . But it sounds like he’s looking for something he’s not going to get in a , as BMW calls it a SAV . I’ve got a X3 30i and know how it drives & I love it . I never drove a 40i but I can imagine what a thrill it would be to drive one . Not sure the OP is real .
Sapphire Black 2013 X3 28i ,
Jet Black 2007 X3 3.0 Liter
Appreciate 5
Rottweiler4028.50
IAmSpeed1188.00
Kingpin4386.50
      02-03-2024, 12:38 PM   #24
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3rd Time Is a Charm View Post
I’m really surprised no one has called the OP a F_ _ king troll yet . But it sounds like he’s looking for something he’s not going to get in a , as BMW calls it a SAV . I’ve got a X3 30i and know how it drives & I love it . I never drove a 40i but I can imagine what a thrill it would be to drive one . Not sure the OP is real .
I mean those are pretty harsh words and I think unnecessary. We want to promote freedom of opinion here. OP sounds genuine. Posted their observation in an open minded / non-assuming subtle way. Has not continued to say anything else more negative beyond the first post. Seems pretty innocent and honest to me.
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 12:47 PM   #25
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
I mean those are pretty harsh words and I think unnecessary. We want to promote freedom of opinion here. OP sounds genuine. Posted their observation in an open minded / non-assuming subtle way. Has not continued to say anything else more negative beyond the first post. Seems pretty innocent and honest to me.
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, but that’s what trolls do . Start something and not finish it . Not to sure what you could tell this person except you bought the wrong car .
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 12:54 PM   #26
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I’m sorry I hurt your feelings, but that’s what trolls do . Start something and not finish it . Not to sure what you could tell this person except you bought the wrong car .
Trust me you didn’t hurt my feelings. I was attempting to be polite in my response back to you, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you clearly didn’t deserve. But, more importantly letting the OP know that presumptuous stupidity is the minority approach on this forum.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2024, 01:01 PM   #27
X3rd Time Is a Charm
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattl0806 View Post
Trust me you didn’t hurt my feelings. I was attempting to be polite in my response back to you, giving you the benefit of the doubt that you clearly didn’t deserve. But, more importantly letting the OP know that presumptuous stupidity is the minority approach on this forum.
I didn’t ask you to give me any of your thoughts . You’re the one that jumped into the conversation. Now go somewhere else with your $250,000.00 words.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:05 PM   #28
Rottweiler
Captain (Retired)
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Garage List
  [6.83]
spavlas77

As mentioned previously :

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079598

JB4 from Burger Motorsports

Send a pm to dcchris311 and see if you can get an intake from him

H&R lowering springs

That’d be a good start and not terribly costly
Appreciate 3
TXGrey1291.50
      02-03-2024, 01:11 PM   #29
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I didn’t ask you to give me any of your thoughts . You’re the that jumped into the conversation. Now go somewhere else with your $250,000.00 words.
What an intelligent and well thought out response…. Congrats.

The OP didn’t ask to be called names either, so how about in future you refrain and I’ll refrain….

Believe it or not, this forum is for positive and negative views. If you think your 30i is god gifts to the world then please just ignore threads like this where maybe someone is looking for a little support when they are disappointed in their decision … it happens…
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 01:20 PM   #30
spangle1980
Deadly
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d BG LCI

In the words of Mars Attacks (cue the accent from the God of acting :-)

"Why can't we all just gedddalong: :-)

Back to topic - I wonder, even the X3M wouldn't be as 'nimble' as an M2? I think it's a completely different beast, center of gravity and what not. Perhaps OP is getting a little older and the time has come to be refined, but still get the upgrades :->
Appreciate 3
      02-03-2024, 01:30 PM   #31
spavlas77
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 (F87), X4 M40i (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASAP View Post
so i suppose I can chime in since I traded in my M2C for my X3 M40i...

as far as sheer excitement... very few cars can compare to the M2C... that's good and at the same time bad... it was the most fun car i've ever owned... consequently it came with major drawbacks - it had the least stable chassis, most bouncy suspension and most snappy body I've ever driven in my life... i suppose that made it extremely fun and exciting but unless you were pushing that car day to day... it become more of a chore than it was fun... it lacked any practicality, was insanely uncomfortable and it was nearly impossible to drive it fast in many situations just because of how unpredictable that entire chassis is... the reviews IMHO vastly ovverated this car that's why as a result it never had any good times around any tracks because again, it was unstable.

The X3 M40i is similarly the most fun SUV i've ever driven... it's stable, predictable and still fun to drive... it can do everything well and I've already put more miles on it in 1.5 years than I did in 3 on my M2... because again, this car can do everything so well. It is by no means an M car... steering is too dull, the suspension is far too soft and its just too big.

If I had to do it all again, I'd never get another M2... and probably instad get an M3 Comp X drive because to me that car is a blend of the 2 above that takes the absolute best qualities of both... similarly many lament the M3 for losing driving excitement vs the M2 but it is such a better car overall. I had a few chances to trade my X3 for an M3... but then I always stop... why? Because the X3 offer so much utility and blends an incredible powertrain so well... YMMV... btw there is borderline nothing i miss from my M2 other than it's size.

That is such a nice change of perspective! And I guess you can really say that the beauty is in the eye of the beholder! I think i just really like living on the edge or something.

I’ll try to drive it closer to the limit and see if I can begin to find more things to like about it. It is very true that I find the X4 much easier to drive. And utility is much much higher. After all, that’s the reason I bought it in the first place.

I have got to say that if something persuaded me to give the car a second chance, it’s this post!
Appreciate 2
ASAP10199.50
Mattl0806993.00
      02-03-2024, 03:22 PM   #32
bocabimmer
Found the Search Button
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 30i xDrive

Garage List
What’s funny is there was a thread two days ago bemoaning the opposite: the X3 is too rough. Clearly we all sit on a spectrum of what we find appealing. I mean, there’s lunatics who like Lexus (kidding).

The best way I describe the X3 is a jack of all trades and a master of none. That’s a compliment. It’s not the most utilitarian or practical or sporty or spacious or comfortable. But it does all of these things well and in good balance.

One of the biggest issues with the X3 (or any SUV, for that matter) is you can't outsmart physics. I've driven a M4 back to back with an X4MC on a track and there is just no getting around physics. It is a top heavy, heftier force to take around a bend. But we knew that, and that relates to my first point. These are the sacrifices we make for utility.

This also leads me to my other point. The M40 deserves all the praise it gets for its engine. But the BMW marketing department does no favors to the model with the M branding. Its underlying hardware is still akin to the pedestrian variant and not its bigger, meaner cousin. This means a comfort-led ride experience, and more so lately than in decades past.

Summing up, I sold an E92 manual, performance exhaust, M3 suspension components and ended up in this. I miss that car, but it could never have held 3 kids or gone on a Costco run. We all have our reasons why we're here and not in something more _______ (fill in your blank here). Enjoy it for what it is and not what it is not.

Previous BMWs: 2018 330i (F30), 2014 i3 BEV, 2007 328i (E92), 2013 X5 35i (E70), 2014 i3 BEV, 2006 325i (E90)
Appreciate 3
ASAP10199.50
Jen4BMW780.50
      02-03-2024, 03:40 PM   #33
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

Love the G01/G02 m40i. Perfect balance of sport and comfort for a suv. My build must include the m sports diff, code ASS off via BimmerCode, and a proper set of non-run flat tires (Michelin pilot 4 summers or all seasons).

A potential family fun alternative could be a m340i with m perf exhaust.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2024, 04:06 PM   #34
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by spangle1980 View Post
In the words of Mars Attacks (cue the accent from the God of acting :-)

"Why can't we all just gedddalong: :-)

Back to topic - I wonder, even the X3M wouldn't be as 'nimble' as an M2? I think it's a completely different beast, center of gravity and what not. Perhaps OP is getting a little older and the time has come to be refined, but still get the upgrades :->
According to C&D's Lightning lap series, the X4M, assuming similar handling characteristics with X3M, was about 3 second slower than F87 M2C on VIR. Meanwhile, the Porsche Cayenne seems to have defied the law of physics and have beaten most M cars except the CS versions.
Appreciate 1
ASAP10199.50
      02-03-2024, 04:14 PM   #35
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Possibly because the M2 is focused on the driver while an SAV such as the X3 in any model level is for family, as OP states. This means a spouse, children, possibly parents, etc., who don't necessarily want their teeth chattering over bumps or their head thrown back on the head restraint in an X3M on the way to/from school, shopping, etc. The issue is not the OP's X3, but may be the conflict between getting a car for the family while really still wanting to be alone and drive his M2.

My solution is that I kept my 2 for when I go alone, but we have the X3 as a family car in which everyone is comfortable. When we're in the X3, it's not just about me. Just being able to select SPORT on the Dynamic Handling Package for suspension and throttle mapping is the compromise made for the family. If you can only have one car, the same compromise may be advised.
Thats all fine and dandy but you do know you can drive the X3M and not floor it every time. Lets play your reasoning out. If he thought the M was to harsh then he should be happy with the M40 right? I mean that's your logic. They also do this thing where you can test drive a car first.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:16 PM   #36
Fahren German
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i RWD 6MT

A Macan S or a Cayenne GTS would have been the right choice for what the OP is looking for.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 05:51 PM   #37
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
Thats all fine and dandy but you do know you can drive the X3M and not floor it every time. Lets play your reasoning out. If he thought the M was to harsh then he should be happy with the M40 right? I mean that's your logic. They also do this thing where you can test drive a car first.
You can, and I did confirm that my 6'2" good friend can fit in the back before choosing the X3. But the suspension is the suspension. The wheel size is the wheel size. The exhaust is the exhaust. Some environments that we drivers love can be uncomfortable for our most important passengers. For some vehicle acquisitions and purposes, pleasing the driver isn't always the only or most important consideration and compromises are desirable. It may be more important to make the relevant family members happy than him. For example, very few minivan owners ever chose it just to please themselves but took their family's needs into equal or greater consideration.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:01 PM   #38
Leem40i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fahren German View Post
A Macan S or a Cayenne GTS would have been the right choice for what the OP is looking for.
Funny you say that because I was actually looking at a Macan GTS. When I looked at the price and the amount of performance you get for your money the BMW won.
I would have enjoyed the porsche, don't get me wrong, that pdk transmission and quality is solid but for an extra 10 to 20K, no
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 06:02 PM   #39
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leem40i View Post
Funny you say that because I was actually looking at a Macan GTS. When I looked at the price and the amount of performance you get for your money the BMW won.
I would have enjoyed the porsche, don't get me wrong, that pdk transmission and quality is solid but for an extra 10 to 20K, no
My son had one and advised against it for us as too small for the rear seat and cargo areas.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2024, 08:28 PM   #40
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
My son had one and advised against it for us as too small for the rear seat and cargo areas.
Many on here already know, I came from a custom-tuned '17 Macan GTS. I really WANTED to go back to another Macan GTS... but I just couldn't. Based on half the points made in this thread. I was looking for a Jack of all Trades... and BY FAR, IMO, the M40i is that SUV. Little luxury, plenty of sport, room for some kiddos or cargo, great tech, 4 season beast. A Macan can do it to... but for about 20K more (equally spec'd). No thanks. You have to draw a line somewhere on a daily driver.

Now then, if I were retired and not driving down the highway in construction every day.... There'd probably be a Macan in my garage. Or a Cayenne. But that's just not where my life is at right now. But I get where the OP is coming from.... I just think you have set expectations when moving into the sport SUV/SAV class.

Last edited by TXGrey; 02-03-2024 at 08:52 PM..
Appreciate 7
Rottweiler4028.50
Mattl0806993.00
ASAP10199.50
Sportstick4711.00
COM40461.50
      02-03-2024, 10:10 PM   #41
chhappy7
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXGrey View Post
Many on here already know, I came from a custom-tuned '17 Macan GTS. I really WANTED to go back to another Macan GTS... but I just couldn't. Based on half the points made in this thread. I was looking for a Jack of all Trades... and BY FAR, IMO, the M40i is that SUV. Little luxury, plenty of sport, room for some kiddos or cargo, great tech, 4 season beast. A Macan can do it to... but for about 20K more (equally spec'd). No thanks. You have to draw a line somewhere on a daily driver.

Now then, if I were retired and not driving down the highway in construction every day.... There'd probably be a Macan in my garage. Or a Cayenne. But that's just not where my life is at right now. But I get where the OP is coming from.... I just think you have set expectations when moving into the sport SUV/SAV class.
Tbh if I were retired, I wouldn’t be looking at SUVs at all and would probably spring for Cayman. Enough room for me and my wife (and our small dog) and stuff for our road trips. I have a special place in my heart for an i8 though due to our family’s history with it and my fond memories with it and its owner family member, so maybe would’ve sprung for that instead of Cayman.

Onwards and upwards to a plentiful retirement!
      02-04-2024, 08:09 AM   #42
IAmSpeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X4 M40i (G02)

Garage List
2023 BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
Would you say that the M40i is more of a budget-friendly X3M or an upgraded 30i? It's hard to say, but if I had to be critical, I'd say it's closer to the latter. If you're expecting the same level of performance as an M standard on the M40i, you might be disappointed. But if you think of it as a step up from the 30i, I think most people would be happy with it.
2004 Toyota Vios | 2004 BMW X3 | 2007 Chrysler Town and Country | 2007 Ford Escape | 2008 Honda CRV | 2017 Nissan Versa Note | 2017 Toyota RAV4 | 2017 Toyota Yaris iA | 2019 Porsche 911 | 2023 BMW X4 M40i
Appreciate 4
ASAP10199.50
bocabimmer1625.00
Jen4BMW780.50
      02-04-2024, 09:01 AM   #43
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpeed View Post
Would you say that the M40i is more of a budget-friendly X3M or an upgraded 30i? It's hard to say, but if I had to be critical, I'd say it's closer to the latter. If you're expecting the same level of performance as an M standard on the M40i, you might be disappointed. But if you think of it as a step up from the 30i, I think most people would be happy with it.
100%... and this is exactly why BMW shouldn't market this car with an M badge next to it... a true X3M gets an entirely different steering rack, suspension, more aggressive diff settings, brakes and a wildly more powerful engine... a car can be entirely capable like a X3 M40i (which I love) and not be an M car at all... I wish people understood that... it's almost like the not so bright folks buying Ford Raptors and immediately thinking they can do baja level 30 ft jumps ... the marketing really works that well.
      02-04-2024, 09:25 AM   #44
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmSpeed View Post
Objectively, not an "upgrade" nor a "step up". The M40i is just different than the 30i and whether that is better or worse is for each individual to determine. This concept applies to comparisons of any and all things evaluated by the subjectivity of different people.

I agree with you that the M40i is more similar to the 30i than it is to the X3M, which I think is your point. With 30i option choices, the difference from M40i to 30i can be even further reduced, as noted above.
Appreciate 2
IAmSpeed1188.00
TXGrey1291.50