BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2023, 03:41 PM   #1
treade
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3

Headlights will not turn off after leaving car

I know this has been addressed on some other threads but haven’t found one dedicated to this annoying issue. We have a 2021 X3. Last night I came home and parked in my garage. Headlights are always set to the Auto setting. An hour later I noticed the car’s headlights were still on in the garage. I did not lock the car when I got home but car was turned off and all doors were closed.

Is there a setting somewhere that I’m missing to make lights turn off after car is off without having to lock the doors? My concern is if we forget to lock our car’s doors every time we return home, it’s going to run our battery keeping the headlights on. This is one of the big head scratchers I’ve had with BMW’s latest technology and the iDrive7 system. Specifically version “11/21;R 1.0”. Is my software out of date for the US X3?

Why the heck does the car do this?!

Thanks in advance for schooling me if there is some setting I’ve missed that I just need to turn on or something….
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #2
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

I have the same problem, but its intermittent. it seems the inside radio is still on also. . I notice that sometime when I get out the of car the radio and lights stay on after I open the door.(the radio should turn off when you open the door) If I close the door and re open the door it seems to turn the radio off. I think these two issues are somehow tired together. Just guessing. Sometime, when I see the lights left on, I just hit the lock button and it turns them off.
      01-12-2023, 05:51 PM   #3
rob175
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xiDrive30

As discussed in many previous forum threads, MOVE SLOW!!

If you shut off the engine and quickly pull the door lever there's a good chance the radio/lights/electronics WILL STAY ON.

INSTEAD.....#1. shut off the engine. #2. then pause for 1 to 2 seconds before you pull the door handle.

IF the radio/lights still remain on...THEN just close the door and re-open. IF that second opening and closing of the door shuts off everything that's proof you opened the door too quickly the first time.

And remember IF you have a front seat passenger nothing will shut off until the passenger ALSO OPENS THEIR DOOR TOO.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 3
      01-12-2023, 06:43 PM   #4
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MG 6MT

Still happening to me too intermittently. I think there was a post on it in the last couple weeks I commented on too.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 09:29 PM   #5
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

So if that is happening, then the car is still 'awake' and retains the last drive mode you're in? I'd take that lol

I know, I'll just code that in if I want to.
Appreciate 0